Choosing a bug-out location

Chief_Rick

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
My primary bug-out location is my house. I live in the country, can't see my neighbors, but they are still closer than I'd like and I can't say that I'm all that trusting of some of them.

I also have a back-up location that I hope I never have to resort to. But, it's available, and no one that's not trying will ever get to it.

Living along the Gulf Coast we have lots of woods/swamps that a person or family can make themselves invisible in and still live a fairly comfortable life. All the food and water you could want if you know how to fish/hunt, forage, purify and preserve. The only big problem down here, in my mind, are the hurricanes (like we currently have headed this way again).

I could imagine trying to get to the mountains if you're in certain areas of the country.

I'm not familiar with the south-west or the plains or even the north-west.

What kind of locations do you look for in your area? Do you know where water is available? Food? Or do you have to cache/carry provisions in with you?

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Belligerents
Dec 21, 2011
WNY
I would put everything into the primary location. Get a big tank 1,000 gal plus for off road diesel, a diesel cab tractor and a diesel utv. Fishing and hunting is a nice hobby, but when millions plan to fish and hunt to replace the food they used to buy in a store, expect fish and game populations to collapse. So make sure you have a stocked store room.

Eli17L

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
New Mexico
BFE.
I left the big city for a small town realizing there was a near zero chance of survival if surrounded by millions of hungry and thirsty people.
Then one morning while siting in my near perfect home in a small town my wife pointed at the neighbors kids and asked if we had enough food for them?
Lots of bad words later I bought 350 acres 70 miles away with no easy access. Can't get there on foot with out a map and a serious plan.
Now any that show up probably belong.
Also when you look at how many are on welfare in a given area those are all people that expect to be fed and clothed by YOU!
Do the math buy ammo and gain as much distance from the threat as possible.
I also would avoid rivers and streams as people fleeing city's need water and will be following them.
Same with mountains I talk to people all the time planing on going to the mountains to survive because that's where the game is. I expect Forrest fires from all the idiots.

IMHO anyway.

jphil108

Private
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2010
I try to avoid thoughts of running to the mountains, I live in the foothills so I’m close enough if I wanted to but it doesn’t check out in my mind. without modern transport and agricultural supply, the mountains don’t have many resources to go around and their growing seasons are fairly short due to limited sunlight and cold winters. Water is available but not always easy to get, and the terrain means that most of your daily survival work will require a lot of calories since you’ll be fighting gravity a lot. On top of that, how many people do you know that say their plan is to run to the mountains and hunt? As mentioned, fish and game resources will dwindle quickly with so many trying to utilize the same limited resource.

if you have access to a creek where you are and a canoe, odds are good you are in a survivable location. Yes hurricanes suck, I grew up with them on the east coast, but I would much prefer trying to survive in a dense swamp than a barren mountain. I agree with diverdon that more intense preparations at your current location are probably the way to go. I’d also focus heavily on surviving 3-12 month events rather than the end of the world but that’s Just me, in my lifetime I haven’t encountered the end of the world but I’ve been without power for 2 weeks on multiple occasions.

good thoughts above on creeks and travel, probably a lot of disease to follow due to poor hygiene and tainted reservoirs/ creeks, but it’s also good to have easy access to clean fresh water so definitely have a well. As for travel, consider a bike, the kind with pedals, you can cover a lot more ground on two wheels in most places and you can load that sucker down with all sorts of stuff, look at how the VC used to move Ammo, bikes and sticks.

Hobo Hilton

Private
Belligerents
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You are late to the "Bug Out" / "Retreat" party..... It will take you at least 5 years of diligent work / socializing with your new neighbors to overcome the label of being a refugee..... Looking at the situation America is in today...... I'd recommend that you fortify your present location, attend a church regularly and link up with people of a like mind.......

Hobo