• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Choosing a gunsmith - the quality and cost balance?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm going to attempt to tread very lightly, but I do apologize in advance for any ignorant assumptions. I'm not a gunsmith, but as an avid shooter I do require their services on a regular basis. I admire their skill, and I know quality comes at a cost, but I've been having a very hard time lately with the cost question.

It has been a couple years, but I'm now in need of a new barrel for one of my primary rifles. I already have a new contoured blank, and a trued/custom action. I just had three of my previously favorite gunsmiths quote the job. One of them won't even return my inquiries, and the other two are asking $425 for the installation and chambering, and another $150 for a standard muzzle crown. This is over $600 when I include shipping costs. Perhaps I'm showing my age here, but this is frankly unsustainable in my opinion. And yes, I've been around long enough to know what this hobby costs. My indigestion over $2,000 riflescopes has past a long time ago . . . (and yes, I also know $3,000 is really the new $2,000)

I'm hoping for some insight and education on my options;

- What the hell happened? I used to pay $250 for the same services, and I have zero problem waiting six months for the work

- Is this the point-in-time where I need to switch over to a barrel nut system and start running prefits?

- Are there any 'smiths out there who are still operating on a more reasonable cost model? Please PM me. Please!!!!!

Again, I won't begrudge anyone trying to get ahead in their careers or financial situation. But as someone also trying to balance a budget, I must ask these questions. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reach out to JR Shultz... He has good prices and does great work.

It seems as a company grows and expands... Their name and hence their work becomes more valuable. Can't blame them for that.... When you've got rifle work lined up for months in advance it tends to lend credence to charging a premium.

JR did my most recent rifle though and the fit and finish is superb... He just transitioned new a new shop from what I gathered through our conversation.

https://www.facebook.com/ShultzPrecisionMachine/

How’s that saying go? Cheap. Fast. Quality. Pick two.

I have no doubt that you could find your old price point if you’re willing to wait 6+ months. I’m not sure where to point you, but they’re out there.

Reactions: scalian
    The LRI website shows $325 for the price, I've not had them chamber a barrel but their reputation is that they do quality work and do it fast.

Mike Bryant will do non Magnums for $275. He does good work and has fast turnaround times if you furnish the parts. I've had him do two barrels and I received each of them back in exactly 7 days after I shipped them.

Just had a barrel done by West Texas Ordnance - total was $395 including shipping back to me. That was to machine the breech, chamber, crown, and thread the muzzle 5/8-24 w/ a blind fit thread protector. As listed on their Services page. https://westtexordnance.com/riflesmithing/ - extremely high quality work, and their wait times seem to be significantly shorter than 6 months. That's not $250, but it's significantly less than $600. Looks like if you don't need the muzzle threaded, and just need it crowned, it'd be closer to $200-250 plus shipping?

Call them and speak to Clayton Smith (owner) - he'll take care of you.

LRI=cheap, fast, and quality. Call them and have a little talk. I am pretty sure their CNC cuts all the tenon threads they do the same. So if your trued action has the threads opened up beyond that, it might not be an option.

Thank you, gentlemen. As always, very much appreciated. It looks like I have many options to choose that are more in my ballpark. Time to go shopping!

Thanks again

Reactions: supercorndogs
    I'm having one rebarreled right now. Almost $1000 including cost of barrel, shipping, and cerakote. I'm thinking this is the last time I go this route.

LRI=cheap, fast, and quality. Call them and have a little talk. I am pretty sure their CNC cuts all the tenon threads they do the same. So if your trued action has the threads opened up beyond that, it might not be an option.

Not exactly... 1st. Were not cheap. Were more affordable than some of our competitors. Might be splitting hairs but the verbage does matter. A barrel job is pretty straight forward, so I charge accordingly. Truth be told I need to raise prices a bit. Inflation and the new tarrifs are what drive this. Stuff justs costs more now.

As for barrel work: The programs are formatted so that threads can be fitted to actions that have seen work (blueprinted, reworked due to galling, etc). On production stuff like the RPR barrels we do, the threads are set to a gauged standard. I began this process 15+ years ago. It's well vetted now. No worries.

Every action that we hang a stick on goes through an inspection process where critical dimensions are checked and documented. It's not rocket science and takes maybe 2 minutes to do once you get the hang of it. Automation with good equipment makes little things faster/easier and allows you to do a better job provided you are the one driving the machine and not the other way around.

The "real" difference.

I don't subscribe to the "artist" label used in this trade by many. In my (cynical) view, artists are unemployed guitarists doing Nirvana covers on street corners for cigarette money. Tradesmen get their asses out of bed and accomplish something. That is my opinion so take it for what its worth (not much) :)

Happy to help.

Last edited: