• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Chopper Build Off on Discovery

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
Did anyone else see this last night? It was a chopper build-off between Paul Jr Designs, OCC, and Jesse James. I watch American Chopper when nothing else is on, but I still catch a couple episodes per month. I'm not a motorcycle rider myself, but I appreciate custom bikes because in some ways they're built in the same spirit that my custom rifles are. The three companies made vastly different bikes: OCC's tracked trike, PJD's homage to WWII aviation, and Jesse James' classic chopper. You can see them here, and vote on them at the same spot.

I think they're all cool vehicles overall, but if I had to choose one to own, it would be the classic style chopper. That think just looks MEAN.

Re: Chopper Build Off on Discovery

I watched it but am biased because I think OCC and PJD are douche-bag builders 'cake decorators' as the show put it. I thought PJD was the weakest and looks like a clown should be riding around on it, OCC's was pretty damn cool totally not a bike at all but something more akin to military hardware and gets my vote for unique and innovative but JJ gets my vote for the best bike by a long shot. I think the second half in on tonight, thank god for DVR because the whole show last night was 90% commercials, 8% shit-talking and 2% bike building.

Just voted for JJ, I suspect the show's young demographic will net PJD the win but only because it's a popularity contest.

I think that PJD's bike is the best hands down.

Its nice to know Americans can still create something with a hammer and a torch....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched it but am biased because I think OCC and PJD are douche-bag builders 'cake decorators' as the show put it. I thought PJD was the weakest and looks like a clown should be riding around on it, OCC's was pretty damn cool totally not a bike at all but something more akin to military hardware and gets my vote for unique and innovative but JJ gets my vote for the best bike by a long shot. I think the second half in on tonight, thank god for DVR because the whole show last night was 90% commercials, 8% shit-talking and 2% bike building.

Just voted for JJ, I suspect the show's young demographic will net PJD the win but only because it's a popularity contest. </div></div>

+100000000000000000000

Just goes to show that there ate a lot more non-bikers out there than real bikers. PJD's bike was a joke. Damn near the ugliest freakin thing I've seen. Paul is not a builder, he,s got builders that work for him. Paul just got imagination. PJD is to bikes what Red Jacket is to firearms.....a joke.

Builders like Jesse James, Chica, Indian Larry, and Billy Lane are to bikes what GA Precision is to rifles.

Bunch of yuppies at PJD and a lot of yuppie voters.

Not JJ fan, but the fact that he took raw metal tubing and sheet metal and created a bike is total skill on a different level. While if PJD and OCC has alot of skill it's not the same. Hell JJ even made the springer front end.

In the old Biker Build Off series the builders had to ride their bikes to the event. If the bike didn't make it they were disqualified. I would have loved to see Jr and Sr have to try to ride their bikes to the finale....Stopping every 20 minutes to refuel/recharge would have been hilarious.

Sr's "whatever" looked like it might be a fun toy for awhile, but it wasn't a bike and should not have been allowed in the contest. Not that he really stood a chance, I'm guessing most of the voting went by popularity anyways. With how Sr and Jesse James have been coming off lately, Jr could have rolled up on a corn riddle chrome turd on wheels and won.

I thought it was great that Jesse fabricated his own frame and what not, but I did agree with Jr's comment about his older stuff being a little cooler.

I agree that the SR build didn't fit my concept of a bike. To me the build off was not one of function but one of design and the thought process. Jr won that one hands down. If it were a contest of function over design then JJ would have won it, I like what he did, but then again the others would have also built different bikes. Knowing that the judges for this were going to be individuals one would think that they would come into this with full out show bikes and that is what JR did, and he won because of it. I also don't think all the shit talking from JJ helped his case any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the old Biker Build Off series the builders had to ride their bikes to the event. If the bike didn't make it they were disqualified. I would have loved to see Jr and Sr have to try to ride their bikes to the finale....Stopping every 20 minutes to refuel/recharge would have been hilarious.

Sr's "whatever" looked like it might be a fun toy for awhile, but it wasn't a bike and should not have been allowed in the contest. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not that he really stood a chance, I'm guessing most of the voting went by popularity anyways. With how Sr and Jesse James have been coming off lately, Jr could have rolled up on a corn riddle chrome turd on wheels and won.</span>

I thought it was great that Jesse fabricated his own frame and what not, but I did agree with Jr's comment about his older stuff being a little cooler. </div></div>

This build-off demonstrates how important the public face and branding of a company can be. Frankly the voting for this build-off was 80% popularity and 20% skill. Still, you can't fault PJD for running a strong public campaign, maintaining a sympathetic view in the public's eyes, or being mindful of his brand both on and off camera. That's just good business.

I voted for JJ's bike out of pure selfishness. I simply asked myself, which bike would I be proud to own. That's a very different question from, which bike is most innovative, or which bike's concept is most original.

I do think PJD built a decent show piece. The attention to detail was superb. I think his build demonstrated the vision he has for the custom bike building game, even if his clientele aren't real riders.

JJ, on the other hand, demonstrated his skill as a fabricator, something neither PJD or OCC have. There's something badass about taking raw metal and shaping it into the metal parts he used on the bike. I think that approach taps into the spirit of biker culture: heating, twisting, and bending steel to your will. I dig that shit, and if I ever went batshit crazy and wanted to waste a pile of cash (that I don't have), I'd get a JJ chopper. But man, I love guns WAY too much to take on another hobby.

i didn't like pjd bike actually i didn't like any of them, but Ive meet Jesse and i put his bike up against any of them anywhere, my dad had a occ the trans came loose wile riding and ate the primary belt he didn't go down but it was harry.

im a Harly tech and owned my owned bissnes i look at the useability and function of the bike not the chrome, doctors like chrome, not saying that's bad i voted for Jesse he is a really good guy and i believe the start of it all, him, Mondo, Ron finch.

im not no big time hell i cant even ride anymore,(medical reasons) i still own a Detroit brothers chopper clone i built, i think it was more a popultary contest, if builders judged builders things differ, theirs a judging contest at Daytona bike week and Sturges, the ratfink pjd and occ has never been their, and the world cup of bike building the AMD World Champ of bike building, you are invite only, Jesse the only one that has been their. i will tell you this OCC and PJD is not really liked in the building world, but PJD is doing some serious stuff now i like JR. Ive even sat on the Anti-V bike it was a OCC copy in my opinion same thing he is always building but the bikes scene then have really turned out, but the problem is their static bikes, most cant be ridden. many builders have challenged him to a iron butt ride but he will never do it. its an honer to be challenged to them, i have mine Melbourne fl to the dragon's tail and back 24 hrs.

not tooting anything just saying theirs more to bikes than what people see on T.V.

Respectfully

figured i through in a few pics

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

33482_144115045634331_100001075092990_235312_8213_n.jpg

58374_132675926778243_100001075092990_181016_1632329_n.jpg

59042_132675850111584_100001075092990_181008_4180795_a.jpg

109-1.jpg

PJD's bike was a "show-piece", while JJ's bike was a rider. It's the same as in custom car shows, there are guys that have $100,000 street rods that are built by guys like Boyd Coddington. They look great while they travel around the country to car shows, and are pushed out of trailers. How does one know. Look at those beautiful chrome side pipes!!!! There still chrome, and not all rainbowed by heat!

The real street-rodders are the guys that build them in them in their own garage, with normal paychecks.

jj builds more with his bare hands and skills than the tuttle's.my vote to him for the effort.

JJ with out a doubt . His sex life cost him. In the ad world he is tainted . pjd hasnt had any skeletons fall out of his closet yet.

There should have been a set of rules to go buy. They should have had to ride the bikes a specific distance without fueling up. The old build offs were cool because the builders bikes had to perform. Senior's bike I'm sure was not street legal. Jr could'nt ride across town without fueling up. The build off was weak. I really only watched the JJ parts and some of the Jr parts. Fast forwarded through the OCC stuff.

I like JJ bikes. Built by hand and from scratch. But he needs kicked in the balls for cheating on Sandra Bullock.