• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR... Problems and Resolution

Alright everyone, I've been on a shooting hiatus mid-move and night shift have had me drained. The rifle arrived back today, it has been rebarreled. They experienced the same issues I did, and despite what EuroOptic called abusive shooting, they stated the barrel should have been capable. Included detailed report, target and data. See below. I'll get it to the range next week. (They even did a 10 shot and 20 shoot group in similar fashion to mine, so that was a nice touch) impressed so far with CA's CS.
Screenshot_20180625-192403_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180625-192233_Gallery.jpg

20180625_192109.jpg

Wow, impressed they went through that effort. I bet they were watching this thread.

Either way, I'm glad it's working out. I'm enjoying mine still and hope to take some game with it this season.

That’s pretty impressive. Hopefully shooting it you find the same results! Good on CA and despite the lost time you got a good rifle in the end.

Awesome!

This is great news. I hope you enjoy this rifle now.

Thank-you for updating this thread.

Too many times people will bounce in here, ask for help and Never update or post final resolutions. Which helps no one.

I appreciate you taking time to post pictures and documentation!

Great to hear of their response. That test target looks pretty good. I do somewhat wonder if the response is only due to this thread and if any average joe has the same response, but this seems to be a solid result for you at least!

Well, went and got a preliminary zero at our hunting land. It only took 3 shots to get it on the X at 100. Right now I am using a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x. The SWFA is on my Tac A1. I fired a few groups just to test and the 105° of sweltering moist nastiness got to me. I did not take any pics this go round as it started drizzling.

Hornady Black 140gr was holding under 1 moa for the 2x 5 shot groups I fired.

Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X was a beautiful clover leaf, I only had 5 rounds left to try. (This is the load I was wanting to hunt with so I'm very happy)

Federal Premium Nosler 140gr Accubond only got 2x 5 shot sets of this and other than one flyer that was my fault it was around .75 inch.

Very impressed with the accuracy now. Hopefully I can get out early one day next week and put some more rounds down range and get some pics.

I'm certainly glad their CS took care of you and you are happy with the results!

Just another update:

Got some specially shitty weather here in SC but I got out to hunt today for a bit. I currently have a vortex AMG in a spuhr mount on my MPR, and it is a very light setup for what you are getting. I fired my 10 rounds at my bench before leaving the Property and got a .6 inch group and around a .75 inch group at 100m. 5 shots each. I am once again pleased (now) with my purchase and the CS of Christensen Arms.

Didnt have my phone to take pics, it was in the truck.

Got my 300NM and hoping to get some shooting this weekend

Please let us know how it performs. I'm on the fence about getting the same rifle/caliber, but have been hesitant based on smaller caliber reviews.

Please let us know how it performs. I'm on the fence about getting the same rifle/caliber, but have been hesitant based on smaller caliber reviews.
I haven’t had any time behind it myself. I was swamped at work so I lent it to my brother to set up. He’s keeping it through hunting season so I think it’s working well for him.

Speaking of the MPR. Just picked up mine and put on a sico ASR break and this is how it came out.
20181231_214218.jpg

20181231_214140.jpg

I'm assuming the darker ring is part of the barrel as it wont come off at all. I dont know why a company would think a rounded shoulder for a suppressable weapon would be the way to go.

EDIT: I realize now the dark ring is a washer. I got it off and everything is cool.

Last edited:
Speaking of the MPR. Just picked up mine and put on a sico ASR break and this is how it came out. View attachment 6995592

View attachment 6995593

I'm assuming the darker ring is part of the barrel as it wont come off at all. I dont know why a company would think a rounded shoulder for a suppressable weapon would be the way to go.

The crush washer is still on. You need to take that off. Thats the darker portion as you said. Get a pair of pliers and clamp down on just that portion, careful not to mar the silver portion.

Thanks. Literally 5 min after i wrote that I looked at the manual again and just realized it. That MFer wouldn't move with my hand which is why I originally thought it was part of the barrel.

Everything is all good now. Thanks.

Honestly I'm sure more than one person has had a baffle strike because of this. Easy to think it's part of the barrel, I did too until I mounted my can and noticed it was off center. I saw a guy at the range with one about to shoot it for the first time with a direct thread can. He would have had a strike had I not noticed.

CA needs find a better system or at least flip the crush washer around to make it more obvious.

I did the same damn thing on mine... almost jacked my shit up too. Thankfully I noticed it by accident. I hit it with my brake tool and it came loose. I was wondering what kinda fubar BS it was for a while. Glad I'm not the only one that did that.

Finally got mine all together, 16" 308 with Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18X44, Spuhr mount and SiCO Omega can, easily shooting MOA or under with my handloads. Loves 155gr A-max's. Happy customer so far.......

Attachments

• 308 MPR.jpg
    308 MPR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 341
How much velocity does one lose out of a 16 in barrel vs a 24 in in 308?

Here is my sight in target from my $1100.00 GEN II RPR IN 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain interlock ammo with Nikon P223 Scope cheap optics and ammo @100 yards out of a Bone stock rifle.View attachment 6902088
crazy thing, try the barnes 127g in the RPR. The hornady shoots like a dream in my desert tech but not the RPR. Also how many rounds through it? Check the muzzle break as well and make sure its tight and centered.

@Alexander Cain
My Christensen MPR in 300 PRC is having major accuracy issues also, it is also walking down and left randomly. I sent it back for them to say that it passes their accuracy guarantee. I guess I need to do more testing and have proof for CA before I send it back a second time. Very disappointed.

Check out my full post here starting at post #434:
I'd go pick up a couple different brands of ammo and see what it does. I tested 8 lots of various high quality ammo with mine. Since I got it back it's very accurate. I haven't seen a buck worth taking yet this year but its cleaned a few plate racks at 600 yards. I see they're releasing the MPR with steel barrels now, makes me wonder if there was some sort of issue with the CF barrels?

I'm sure that user error plays a big part of some of the complaints about lightweight guns in general. Light guns are hard to shoot. I would guess a lot if not most of the bad reports of the kimber Montana are due to that fact.

If someone else was able to shoot 1/2" groups with my gun and I was only able to shoot 2-3", i wouldn't keep looking at the gun as the problem.

Reactions: Alexander Cain
I’m not sure I can add anything substantial to the group but I’ve had some fantastic results with Christiansen Arms MPR but in 6.5 CM. Over this last winter I helped a friend out to come up with a load for his MPR in 6.5CM. I’ve reloaded for a dozen years now and am not the most accomplished reloaded but consistently find s-ds in single digits w es in low teens for the most part (shoot a ton of 6cm, 6BR Norma, 7RM, 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, mostly 6-7mm guns etc... my friend’s MPR loved the 143 eld-x and H4350. It consistently shot the best S-Ds I’ve ever loaded like in the range of .0s to 3. That gun loved them. I did all the reloading myself so can vouch for that personally. I would have bought that gun in a heartbeat.
I also own a 28 Nosler in an ELR (Christensen Arms) and had a nightmare getting that figured out. It was shooting 2-3.5 almost 4” groups and I couldn’t figure it out. I had it professionally bedded but the groups never tightened. I took it to the guy I bought it from (new) and he tested the lug on the bolt and discovered only one of the lugs was contacting. I finally sent back to CA and they turned it around in three weeks which was impressive in my experience.
They sent me back the same Sheets with the verdict as in previous post of this thread... they put a new barrel, new bolt, handlapped and maybe one other thing.
long story short, it shot .5” groups for them.
I just got it back six to maybe eight weeks ago so haven’t done load development yet but took it out and sure enough it was .5 moa or a little less with the factory 168 Nosler match ammo (best group of five right at .33”). This has the same barrel as the MPR barrel I believe (26”). Another buddy of mine and I are going to pick up dual MPRs in 300 Norma or 300 PRC (can’t decide.. why haven’t bought yet) and I hope we don’t run into any issues. However, I’m thoroughly satisfied with CA and them making my gun right though I would have expected it to be that way from the jump.... for the price you pay there aren’t many (could really argue any) guns in the price range with the value you get in a gun in my opinion.
Proof barrels were also mentioned in this thread and I have two guns with Proof barrels... one of which is a 6.5PRC in a bighorn action SR3 (more wiggle in the action the the CA for sure but still a fantastic action) as it’s compatible with Savage prefit platform and I like the CA barrel as much as the Proof... I love them both! I’ll try and attach pictures. Proof barrel shoots .33-.50” w me behind it consistently shooting 147 eld-m w RL26 and hornady brass (could be better w Bertram or ADG or another shooter I know...)
I have a neighbor that’s had to send a CA back but has owned a ton of guns and still
Loves Christensen Arms as most of them were great. I’m happy the way my 28 nosler turned out but wasn’t for a while... I love the MPR and will be using it as a 1mile plus fun as well as an elk rig as the folding stock is great for my Kuiu pack.
That’s my .02 for what it’s worth (maybe nothing haha). Aaron

Attachments

• 8D94653B-97D0-4922-961D-5A5785FE1264.jpeg
    8D94653B-97D0-4922-961D-5A5785FE1264.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 215
  • 1317CFC6-2419-490A-8BC7-348C4494811B.jpeg
    1317CFC6-2419-490A-8BC7-348C4494811B.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: Alexander Cain
I'm sure that user error plays a big part of some of the complaints about lightweight guns in general. Light guns are hard to shoot. I would guess a lot if not most of the bad reports of the kimber Montana are due to that fact.

If someone else was able to shoot 1/2" groups with my gun and I was only able to shoot 2-3", i wouldn't keep looking at the gun as the problem.

For me, I agree, I had to shift my shooting positions a tad given how much it shifts around. I'm used to a Tikka Tac A1 with a heavy vortex optic and my 700 in a KRG chassis with a swfa 5-20 hd. They dont move when you shoot.

Try one of those ultralites in 7mag or 300wm. No thanks. Lol. I cant imagine the guys shooting these MPRs in 338.

I'd go pick up a couple different brands of ammo and see what it does. I tested 8 lots of various high quality ammo with mine. Since I got it back it's very accurate. I haven't seen a buck worth taking yet this year but its cleaned a few plate racks at 600 yards. I see they're releasing the MPR with steel barrels now, makes me wonder if there was some sort of issue with the CF barrels?
There are only 2 offerings of factory 300 PRC ammo, the 225 ELDM and 212 ELDX, tried them both to no avail.

There are only 2 offerings of factory 300 PRC ammo, the 225 ELDM and 212 ELDX, tried them both to no avail.
I keep forgetting that, I'm looking at a seekins havak in 300 PRC right now. I swore I read that someone was coming out with a hybrid load in the low 200 range. I was planning to load for mine after 100 rds of factory whatever ammo. I'd seen somewhere that there were some bad 300 prc reamers too. None of this was substantial info tho.

Take a friend or two and a box or two of both of those and document the experience for CA and see I guess?

Reactions: TheChief
I just found out today that they have an MPR with a steel barrel that can be found for about $1750-$1850 in 300PRC. Now I have to decide whether I want that or the Premier Ridgeback in 300PRC. I'm really leaning towards the MPR just because it has the brake and 20moa rail already on it. For $1800 its really a good deal. Do the Christiansen chassis' that come on the MPR sell very well aftermarket? I'd rather have it in a KRG Bravo chassis.

I just found out today that they have an MPR with a steel barrel that can be found for about $1750-$1850 in 300PRC. Now I have to decide whether I want that or the Premier Ridgeback in 300PRC. I'm really leaning towards the MPR just because it has the brake and 20moa rail already on it. For $1800 its really a good deal. Do the Christiansen chassis' that come on the MPR sell very well aftermarket? I'd rather have it in a KRG Bravo chassis.

Been a busy little while at work and I haven't checked my posts. I don't believe the bravo chassis can use the mag length necessary for the 300 PRC. Double check with KRG but its not a standard LA Length it's the CIP length. I am also torn between those two rifles in 300 PRC I'm just waiting to see what companies pick up making the brass. I'm also looking at the Seekins Havak along with the MPR and Ridgeback.

Last edited:
Been a busy little while at work and I haven't checked my posts. I don't believe the bravo chassis can use the mag length necessary for the 300 PRC. Double check with KRG but its not a standard LA Length it's the CIP length. I am also torn between those two rifles in 300 PRC I'm just waiting to see what companies pick up making the brass. I'm also looking at the Seekins Havak along with the MPR and Ridgeback.
ADG will definitely be making brass.

This is incorrect. The LA Bravo accepts CIP length mags. CIP Length mags are the ones you want for 300 PRC. CIP Outside mag-length is ~3.850"

I can confirm that the KRG Bravo will work with a 300PRC. I'm running Accurate Mag 300WM 3.850" AICS mags and it feeds flawlessly, with a little tuning of the feed lips. My groups shrank about 1/4 moa at 100 meters with that stock over the Grayboe. I've got a Bergara Premier Ridgeback, without a Ridgeback stock now. It's a great shooting rifle.

Well, I was finally able to get out to the range again with the "Good Ammo" that I had on hand. I am a bit less than pleased.
Initial Review was here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/christensen-arms-mpr-initial-review.6879393/
But, I wanted to post this as a thread of it's own due to the issues I found today.
The last time I shot this I was having consistency issues which I attributed to "bulk ammo" and other things (insert random excuse). So this time I decided to take my Tikka with me as well. My Tikka is a 20 inch CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor with leupold QR rings and some cheap scope Bushnell(?) "Legend HD Mildot" I had from a friend, however it is a known good shooter.
MPR is 26 inch, 6.5 CM
Plan: Fire 5 round groups of each ammo type, 2x per rifle & compare the groups. All groups fired at 100M off same rest & sandbag.
I will do the pt 2 review in the second posting. I will stick to issues for this section.

ISSUE 1: CONSISTENCY
I would get 2 or 3 rounds tight then flyers, and at first I was thinking it was just me. So after last time I double checked the torque on EVERYTHING on the rifle. I began to notice as it got warmer, the groups shifted big time (an inch or more), and we are talking just a few shots. I tried taking a few moments between shots and that didn't help either. So I decided to put 25 rounds through the rifle ( had 2x 10 round and 3x 5 round mags with me) and fire a steady pace to see what the group looked like.

This was fired from a caldwell "tac driver" front bag and a rear bag.
First 3 shots were tight on the right, the next few were around the middle, then the rest began walking down and left as it got hotter. I experienced the same issue with a Atlas bipod and sandbag as well. I did the same test with my Tikka in the next photo.
View attachment 6895857

This is 25+ rounds, fired in relatively quick succession. I did not take my time near as much as I did with the MPR and got much better results. I did pull a few slightly.
View attachment 6895861

I understand a hot barrel will open up, but this is not "opening up" its walking low and left the hotter it gets. Anyone got any ideas wtf is wrong with it?

PROBLEM 2: Ammo pressures -
I've seen pressure signs on several loads, many of the "match" loadings are showing some primer distortion, but nothing too serious. Till I tried this:
View attachment 6895862
View attachment 6895863View attachment 6895864

I cleaned up the bolt and checked the rifle, everything appeared fine. I only fired 2 rounds of this ammo and both did this, and I experienced a sticky bolt as well. The other 18 rounds fired flawlessly through my Tikka with no pressure signs. I was under the impression most ammo was made for longer barreled 6.5 CM. I do not understand why 6 inches would show that much of a difference. All other rounds of other ammo types were fine.

Overall, I like the rifle itself. The chassis is nice, I like the trigger, I like the brake, I like the action too. But it is just not "shooting like a 2500 rifle." My "budget" 308 SPS Tactical shot 3x better than this with that shitty hogue stock on it. Hell my Ruger GSR shoots better than this. At least more consistently. I'm pretty irritated with it in general right now. Debating talking to Eurooptic & Christensen about it. I don't see myself getting another CF barrel.

Something is indeed off. Have you measured the brass pre/post firing from 2 different rifles? I’m wondering if the chamber is out of spec. Bolt head engagement off too. Just thoughts.
I have “fixed” several CA rifles. They all had different problems. QC seems to be an issue there.

I have a Christensen ELR not a MPR but I did do all the load development and still load for a buddy of mine who has the MPR in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I never shoot 25 round strings fast unless I have to especially during load development so their could be other issues (though much smaller than your issue) at hand.
On my ELR (28 Nosler) it totally shot like garbage when I first bought it and I tried everything including a double bed job.
The issue was that the bolt lug was only touching on one of the lugs. You can diagnose this by taking marker (I used permanent red marker) and coloring both of the lugs where they connect and then closing the bolt several times... both sides should have the residue that will be noticeably disrupted from both bolt lugs at the contact point. Mine was only connecting on one side. I was so pissed.

However, it took me a year to finally send the gun back to Christensen and to be fair they turned the gun around in 2.5 weeks. It now easily shoots sub half inch groups with both the Nosler 160 accubond trophy grade load and their 168 match grade loads... my hand load of 175 grain ELD-X is at almost 3,250 FPS and sub .25” and hit my elk within 1” of where I dialed at 627 yards December 2019...
so what I’m saying is that Christensen totally stood behind their product though I’m not sure how it got through QC in the first place. It is now one of my most accurate guns.

My local gun shop says that they’ve had issues like mine the last couple of years but I’ve heard they have gotten better but there’s some similarities to you problems that I had as well though not quite as drastic... at $4 a shot I would never do a 25 string in a 28 Nosler but it was walking for sure and groups sucked like 4”@ 100.

I will say that my buddies MPR in 6.5 Creedmoor has the lowest S-Ds I’ve ever produced (have shot 7 shot groups in the .0s and 10 shot groups in high 1.s and low 2.s) and that gun is an absolute tack driver with 42.5 grains of H4350, fed 210m primers and regular hornady brass .020” jump with 143 ELD-x.
This would take you two minutes to check and the marker cleans up easily enough. Christensen Arms went from zero to hero with me but I couldn’t be happier with my gun now.

Good luck!
Aaron

I have had the same issues recently with a new Christensen Arms MPR in 300WM. Have been getting groups of 2.5" to 5"+ at 100 yds. I also had huge POI shifts (7") when switching from one quality factory ammo to another, like switching from Hornady 195 gr Match to Nosler Trophy Grade 190 ABLR. CA says to use factory ammo for break-in, so that is what I used, even though my handloads might have been better. I followed CA's cleaning and break-in guidelines. I tried switching optics and mounts to use only known reliable set-ups with no change. 60 rounds down the tube and no improvement in group size or wander. I have several other precision rifles that shoot sub-MOA or better at 100 yds, so I know it is not shooter error. I am not a F-class champ, but I certainly can shoot a group. Anyway, I contacted CA and they had me send the rifle to them. Hopefully, they can resolve the riddle.

I have had the same issues recently with a new Christensen Arms MPR in 300WM. Have been getting groups of 2.5" to 5"+ at 100 yds. I also had huge POI shifts (7") when switching from one quality factory ammo to another, like switching from Hornady 195 gr Match to Nosler Trophy Grade 190 ABLR. CA says to use factory ammo for break-in, so that is what I used, even though my handloads might have been better. I followed CA's cleaning and break-in guidelines. I tried switching optics and mounts to use only known reliable set-ups with no change. 60 rounds down the tube and no improvement in group size or wander. I have several other precision rifles that shoot sub-MOA or better at 100 yds, so I know it is not shooter error. I am not a F-class champ, but I certainly can shoot a group. Anyway, I contacted CA and they had me send the rifle to them. Hopefully, they can resolve the riddle.
You and me both along with tons of others. Went through this same process with mine (300 PRC) for over a year and finally put a Proof Research barrel on it. I ended up sending it back 3 different times and got 3 different barrels. I had POI changes and terrible groupings along with hard bolt lift and blown primers. CA quality control is shit, seems to be more prevalent on the larger calibers. You can read more about my issues on this thread. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/christensen-modern-precision-rifle.6674904/page-14

That is really disappointing to hear, LongRangeAggie. I have a DT SRS A2 and thought about just getting a 300WM conversion kit for that, but decided not too for a couple of reasons. First, wanted to diversify a little bit and try something new, since I already have 2 calibers for the DT; and second, I wanted to have a light-weight hunting build in 300WM with a folder. I'll check out your thread. Guess I should have just gone with the DT conversion kit and saved some money, time, and grief.