• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Arms MPR... Problems and Resolution

This TAC A1 feels much more like the heavy side of that argument. The MPR feels quite comfy to move around, it's a bit lighter for sure. If I can get the accuracy on par. A bit jelly of your TFM, what caliber?
6.5 Creedmoor, though it's getting rebarreled in a month or two to 6BRA. It works nicely, but as far as I can tell the action and the barrels for the TFM are identical to those on the MPR (I work for a Christensen dealer), so I'm a little curious about why one only gets the sub-MOA guarantee and the other gets the half-MOA guarantee.

They're both nice rifles though, once you break in the action a bit it's pretty smooth. The trigger on the TFM I have adjusted down to around 8-12 ounces and it feels great, but I do like the Triggertech that they put in everything else (I'm going to put a TT in my rifle build this summer).

6.5 Creedmoor, though it's getting rebarreled in a month or two to 6BRA. It works nicely, but as far as I can tell the action and the barrels for the TFM are identical to those on the MPR (I work for a Christensen dealer), so I'm a little curious about why one only gets the sub-MOA guarantee and the other gets the half-MOA guarantee.

They're both nice rifles though, once you break in the action a bit it's pretty smooth. The trigger on the TFM I have adjusted down to around 8-12 ounces and it feels great, but I do like the Triggertech that they put in everything else (I'm going to put a TT in my rifle build this summer).
I'd imagine it gets more attention to detail and strict specs. Maybe test firing and such as well. A little extra care on the assembly end can make a huge difference.

I'd imagine it gets more attention to detail and strict specs. Maybe test firing and such as well. A little extra care on the assembly end can make a huge difference.
Fair enough, though I would honestly say I think the largest difference between the two is just the fact that the TFM is a bedded carbon fiber stock compared to a chassis. A chassis is pretty easy to install and not labor intensive at all, just slap that barreled action in and torque the screws to spec, compared to bedding a stock (plus the stock has a LOT more carbon fiber involved).

That and, now that I took a better look at the MPR's in inventory, the MPR appears to use a TriggerTech Special trigger while the TFM definitely uses something different. I'm honestly not quite sure what the trigger on the TFM is since it has no markings, but it's adjustable down to 6 ounces and below so it's definitely not the same TriggerTech Special in the MPR.

Well, our rifle team purchased 5 MPR's for this season. 3 of which seem to be running well, while mine (22") and another's in 24" are experiencing flyers with Hornady 120gr and 140gr match ammo. First shot is high right, then settles down to either center or low left. We just got them this week and are running USOptics on them. Shot mine prone off ground so let's just say that i am a crappy shot (to get ahead of all the perfect shooters out there), but my partner who was in the rifle competition team in the military and his bud, a top F class shooter had the same flyer issues from a bench.

We will do more testing on them and report back when more definitive details are available.

Reactions: Bender
Well, our rifle team purchased 5 MPR's for this season. 3 of which seem to be running well, while mine (22") and another's in 24" are experiencing flyers with Hornady 120gr and 140gr match ammo. First shot is high right, then settles down to either center or low left. We just got them this week and are running USOptics on them. Shot mine prone off ground so let's just say that i am a crappy shot (to get ahead of all the perfect shooters out there), but my partner who was in the rifle competition team in the military and his bud, a top F class shooter had the same flyer issues from a bench.

We will do more testing on them and report back when more definitive details are available.
Hey that sounds familiar lol, my first shot of the day was always high right, I was just guessing cold bore to some extent but I've never experienced it with another rifle. My rifle should be arriving Monday or Tuesday to Christensen and we shall see what happens. I hope it gets sorted and I can enjoy the rifle. I like it a lot besides the accuracy issues.

my first shot of the day was always high right
First shot is high right, then settles down to either center or low left.
That's actually pretty interesting. My cold bore shot is always about .2 mils right, and .3 or .4 mils high. I usually try to shoot 3 "warm up" shots when I start shooting for the day, and then I don't have any shots like that for the rest of the day unless I go an hour or more without shooting it between stages.

It's interesting to me though that all 3 (or 4, if it was two rifles you were talking about Dude in GP) have the same behavior for their cold bore shot.

Reactions: RPN
That's actually pretty interesting. My cold bore shot is always about .2 mils right, and .3 or .4 mils high. I usually try to shoot 3 "warm up" shots when I start shooting for the day, and then I don't have any shots like that for the rest of the day unless I go an hour or more without shooting it between stages.

It's interesting to me though that all 3 (or 4, if it was two rifles you were talking about Dude in GP) have the same behavior for their cold bore shot.
Yeah that's pretty odd, perhaps it's a coincidence but I wonder if one of their machines is off somewhere and the barrels or actions coming off of it are not concentric or something

I hate to hear when someone has a shitty experience with a new rig. There is nothing more frustrating than spending hard earned money and not being satisfied. If I were you I would try to get a refund man. You can get a full MPA build for 2400 from places like KY gun co and I highly doubt things will turn out his way. If you get it back try some prime Ammo, it’s the only factory offering I’ll shoot. My $.02

Gentlemen,

So i had chance to do some custom reloading. Went out last night with a friend and he experienced much the same issue with the 120gr Hornady Match ammo. High right then settled down. As well we chrono'd all shots fired. Strings were slow fire 5 round (factory and custom load) and around 5mins between 5rd strings.

Curiously, all first rounds out of the cold barrel were around 50 to 100fps slower than subsequent rounds shot in the string. The first group i shot with custom loads was pretty much right on the money for the first three, then the last two were high right and left. My friends group (same load i had just shot) came in at 3/4 MOA with no flyers. The hotter the loads got, the more the rifle liked it.

Found two loads last night, 45.5grs H4350, 123gr ELD Match, set 0.015" off the lands with a Velocity of approx 3000fps avg and ES of 8 (except the first round which was 50 - 100fps slower). 3/4moa group

The other load is 44grs RL-17, 123gr ELD match set 0.015" off the lands, avg velocity ~3050fps, ES 25 5/8moa group

So, not bad night last night, but now the first shot being slower question and still the flyer issue and high right then settle down with factory match ammo.

Just for info, the set up is a 22" MPR in 6.5 creedmoor, USO B-17 in a GDI detachable mount, using Atlas Detachable Bipod.

Will replicate the loads and retest again as one decent evening is not statistically sound.

Gentlemen,

So i had chance to do some custom reloading. Went out last night with a friend and he experienced much the same issue with the 120gr Hornady Match ammo. High right then settled down. As well we chrono'd all shots fired. Strings were slow fire 5 round (factory and custom load) and around 5mins between 5rd strings.

Curiously, all first rounds out of the cold barrel were around 50 to 100fps slower than subsequent rounds shot in the string. The first group i shot with custom loads was pretty much right on the money for the first three, then the last two were high right and left. My friends group (same load i had just shot) came in at 3/4 MOA with no flyers. The hotter the loads got, the more the rifle liked it.

Found two loads last night, 45.5grs H4350, 123gr ELD Match, set 0.015" off the lands with a Velocity of approx 3000fps avg and ES of 8 (except the first round which was 50 - 100fps slower). 3/4moa group

The other load is 44grs RL-17, 123gr ELD match set 0.015" off the lands, avg velocity ~3050fps, ES 25 5/8moa group

So, not bad night last night, but now the first shot being slower question and still the flyer issue and high right then settle down with factory match ammo.

Just for info, the set up is a 22" MPR in 6.5 creedmoor, USO B-17 in a GDI detachable mount, using Atlas Detachable Bipod.

Will replicate the loads and retest again as one decent evening is not statistically sound.
Interesting, I'm curious what I'll hear from Christensen... if there is some crazy fluke with first few shots of the day out of a CF barrel I'd be very confused. We'll see what Christensen says, and if they find no issue I guess I'll try some prime ammo and a few handloads from a friend and then decide if I'm keeping it or not. Yeah it is very frustrating to get a new gun and be so disappointed.

The hotter the loads got, the more the rifle liked it.
This is something I've tended to notice, but for a slightly different reason that this specifically. I've noticed my Christensen barrel will shoot identical ammo almost 100 fps faster than it shoots in my Savage 12FV. I'm honestly not quite sure why it does this.

For example:
Federal Gold Match Berger:
- Box Velocity: 2875
- Savage Velocity: 2884
- Christensend TFM Velocity: 2983

41.4gr H4350, 147gr ELD-M, Lapua Brass
- Savage Velocity: 2716
- Christensen Velocity: 2809

42.8gr RL-16, 123gr SMK, Lapua Brass
- Savage Velocity: 3002
- Christensen Velocity: 3110

42gr RL-16, 147 ELD-M, Lapua Brass
- Savage Velocity: 2796
- Christensen Velocity: 2915

These last two loads are what I developed for the TFM and are, velocity wise, quite hot, but the rifle shoots every one of these loads at better than 1/2 MOA and the two loads made specifically for it (the second load is my Savage rifle's load) shoot right between 1/4 and 1/3 MOA depending on the day.

The rifle likes hot loads, but weirdly enough it makes somewhat normal loads into hot loads for some reason. No clue why it does it, the barrel is strange. It has worked well for me, and these numbers are after 2000-3000 rounds through the tube, but it's really strange and confusing.

As far as the coldbore shot goes, I haven't yet owned a rifle that shot the first bullet exactly where the rest went. I just thought it was interesting that all of them had the same coldbore behavior of shooting slightly high right. The huge fps difference is a bit concerning on the first shot, though I know my first shot with any rifle has always been somewhat slower (not that drastic, but usually about 50 fps slower).

Last edited:
I'm definitely following this thread because the Christensen MPR is 1 of the 5 rifles priced between $2-3k that I will be buying later this year. MPA BA is back in the lead because of what I've read hear so far.

@Alexander Cain - Your CTR shoots about like mine with those factory loads. If interested - the Hornady American Gunner 140s happen to be the best in my CTR and others. I don't know what it is about that bullet and load, but its the tightest shooting factory round I've tried. It outshoots the 140 ELD-M and the Prime 130.

I'm definitely following this thread because the Christensen MPR is 1 of the 5 rifles priced between $2-3k that I will be buying later this year. MPA BA is back in the lead because of what I've read hear so far.

I already have a MPR in 300NM on order. It was hard to beat the price for it claimed feature set. I hope this isn't a common issue as I'm not too keen on the idea of spending $900 more to get the MPA 300 Norma rifle (or buying a receiver and barrel and having it built up)

@Alexander Cain - Your CTR shoots about like mine with those factory loads. If interested - the Hornady American Gunner 140s happen to be the best in my CTR and others. I don't know what it is about that bullet and load, but its the tightest shooting factory round I've tried. It outshoots the 140 ELD-M and the Prime 130.
Yeah, idk man I'm borrowing a Tac A1 right now and f*ck that American gunner is shooting as good if not better than "match" factory loadings. So both tikkas I've been behind say its gtg. Put 3x 5 shot groups into damn near one hole and a 10 shot group into a dime save one flyer just outside of the group. Thus far its shooting circles around what my MPR did. Still hoping to see what happens with it.

To be fair, everyone has "flukes" and I'm not totally put off, but I am disappointed. If I could get it to shoot right I think I'd say they were a great company. Customer service was great on the phone, by email and even on their community Facebook. I posted a pic of my issue at around 11 one night and one of their support guys commented very quickly. I like the fit and feel and its definitely a great system... just unsure of these barrels... other people seem to be shooting very well, but I've seen a few with my exact problem.

Reactions: Pittsfieldwil
Here is my sight in target from my $1100.00 GEN II RPR IN 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain interlock ammo with Nikon P223 Scope cheap optics and ammo @100 yards out of a Bone stock rifle.
20180508_165725.jpg

Reactions: PFG
To be fair, everyone has "flukes" and I'm not totally put off, but I am disappointed. If I could get it to shoot right I think I'd say they were a great company. Customer service was great on the phone, by email and even on their community Facebook. I posted a pic of my issue at around 11 one night and one of their support guys commented very quickly. I like the fit and feel and its definitely a great system... just unsure of these barrels... other people seem to be shooting very well, but I've seen a few with my exact problem.

Have you sent it in yet?

I don’t think that Christiansen carbon barrels are Proof. But I could be wrong. The Proof barrels I’ve seen shoot lights out, as good as any custom tube.

We have been seeing comparable accuracy between the Proof CF and SS Bartlein 5R’s.

Here is my sight in target from my $1100.00 GEN II RPR IN 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Hornady American Whitetail 129 grain interlock ammo with Nikon P223 Scope cheap optics and ammo @100 yards out of a Bone stock rifle.View attachment 6902088
Dude, you're spot on with accuracy. My RPR is a gem as well, but I'm looking for a lightweight rifle for hunting that I can fold and mount a clip-on ahead of the optics. With a 4-6 lb weight savings over an RPR, that's a game changer IF and I mean IF Christensen can deliver on sub MOA accuracy CONSISTENLY (I may have spelled that wrong, it's Margarita Friday with the old lady)

Dude, you're spot on with accuracy. My RPR is a gem as well, but I'm looking for a lightweight rifle for hunting that I can fold and mount a clip-on ahead of the optics. With a 4-6 lb weight savings over an RPR, that's a game changer IF and I mean IF Christensen can deliver on sub MOA accuracy CONSISTENLY (I may have spelled that wrong, it's Margarita Friday with the old lady)
Does rumlover = RUM or bacardi. Either is great at sub MOA or 80+proof,lol. hope you get the light accurate rifle your after.

What about velocities?

I have several proof barrels and have never had a slow one. I’ve said it before, if Proof carbon barrels fit the purpose of the rifle, it will be wearing one.

Reactions: physguy88
Hope they come back with a fix. It should be shooting bug holes.

Went to the range to re sight in after installing new rings and trigger. I never really liked the flat trigger that came with it, and the Huber made a huge difference. Far fewer called bad shots. I think the relative light weight of the rifle was really working against it.

In any case, while I didn't do any crazy throat burner strings, it was still 90 degrees when shooting and the barrel got plenty hot. I allowed about 5 minutes between groups and it was too hot to touch by the end.

I'm thinking the OP got a dud barrel. Mine is also the 22" barrel length so it could be totally different harmonics as well.

Attachments

• MPR1.jpg
    MPR1.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 222
I have had several Proof barrels (not CA) and none of them acted like this with just the barrel but the minute I put a suppressor on them, the groups looked exactly like this as the barrel heated up to hot. and it was very repeatable.

It is not the shooter. I can say with absolute certainty the CA barrels are not what they used to be. I have a 300 RUM i bought a few years ago (before the ridge line introduction), and it shoots well and consistent out to 1000 yards. I bought a new 28 Nosler in March and the barrel alignment was so bad i couldn’t even zero my scope (Tangent Theta 3x15, so not a junker) at 100 yards with its available elevation OR windage. Sent it back to CA and took nearly a month and 12 emails to get it back. They said they changed out the barrel for a new one. Will try it again this weekend to see if it’s fixed.
For the money, most any other rifle I can think of would be more accurate.
I did buy mine from Eurooptic and if it is not fixed i will see about a exchange for basically anything else.

Just an update...took the rifle to the range and only had to use HALF the elevation travel and 14 MOA to hit zero this time. ?
Groups at 100 were 1 MOA at best initially and got worse as the barrel heated up. Most inaccurate rifle i own. By contrast, i have a new 6.5 PRC custom build in a MPA Chassis that i sighted in and took out to 1400 yards all at 3/8 MOA or better the same day.Contacted Eurooptic and am hoping they will take it in on tra, issue me store credit or something.
If you want to pay $5000 for a gun that shoots like a $100 garage sale special then by all means buy a Christensen. Or buy mine, it’s for sale....cheap.

I had a grendel barrel from them that was a mess. Threads very poorly machined, chamber throat was about .06 shy of where it should have been, factory hornady anything would get stuck and require mortaring to get out. Sent it back to Rainier Arms and kinda wrote off CA after that. Sad to see there bolt guns are no better it seems.

Last edited:
WOW I'm kinda at al loss and I sure wouldn't be happy with those results.

Reactions: Hondo1
My local Sportsman's Warehouse carries Christensen Arms. They look decent but after doing some reading on various boards, I went a different route. I hope you guys get them worked out.

I'll be honest, I like my MPR very much and it shoots very well. However my dealings with Christensen have been very unimpressive. The people I spoke to did not seem very knowledgeable and could not get someone more knowledgeable on the phone. I had specifically asked about the use of 7075 for their chassis. Doesn't really make sense as it's much harder to machine than 6061 and the added strength is not really needed. No other chassis to my knowledge is made of 7075.

The rep I spoke to had no idea what the differences were and just said something about "aircraft aluminum". To be clear, this was a sales rep and not a technical guy but I still question whether the chassis really is 7075.

I’m Not the OP but the last update on my rifle i posted on this thread earlier. CA sent the rifle back and say it shoots 1/2 MOA for them and provided test targets, so they will not refund/exchange. Fair enough, though i doubt the test results but ok, your game, your rules.
Eurooptic says that since CA won’t take it back and that according to CA the problem is fixed, and the fact that they don’t deal in used guns, they would buy it back but at an extremely low price. Never said what the price was.
SO, long story short i am going to divest myself of this POS and go on down the road.
This is a Summit Ti thumbhole carbon 28 Nosler that is listed for over $5000.00 new.
I hope you guys that are buying MPR’s have way better luck than i did.
In the end my personal opinion is that since CA has begun building in volume for the masses, so to speak, their barrel and perhaps machining quality has gone to hell. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ugh, sorry to hear that end result. Did they say what ammo they used? You have any interest in tryIn that?

I’m definitely reconsidering my on order MPR.

That sucks. I wonder what standard they used to determine that it shoots "1/2 MOA". If it's a single 3 shot group, that's total bullshit.

Mine shoots but the barrel won't last forever. When it's time to replace, it's likely getting a proof barrel.

I'm sorry for the thread hijack as I replied to the OP's post and then just wanted to follow up on my reply. I certainly hope the OP gets his CA figured out as well!

One other thought OP - What about sending it to EuroOptic for them to check out? If they find an issue they may have more sway with Christensen. Or they may be more inclined to help you work with Christensen. Or they may admit it is faulty and themselves take on getting Christensen to own up to that. Or they may explain more in depth why its not faulty.

@Pro517

Maybe I didn't catch it, but did you send photos of your walking shot strings to CA?

That said, in post #29, you show a couple 5 shot groups that are stellar.

I get that your wanting more from this rifle, but IMO - drilling 5 shots into 1/2 MOA (or likely better from what I can tell) - the rifle is doing what it was built to do. I'm not sure any company is going to use a long, hot barrel shot string as the litmus test for accuracy.

Reactions: ThePretzel
@Pro517

Maybe I didn't catch it, but did you send photos of your walking shot strings to CA?

That said, in post #29, you show a couple 5 shot groups that are stellar.

I get that your wanting more from this rifle, but IMO - drilling 5 shots into 1/2 MOA (or likely better from what I can tell) - the rifle is doing what it was built to do. I'm not sure any company is going to use a long, hot barrel shot string as the litmus test for accuracy.

The man makes a valid point, they are gonna toss 3 rounds down range and be like "meets the accuracy standard." Most manufacturers don't care about SD, ES, or stringing. Even a lot of customs smiths, one of my favorites and who I consider the best at long range hunting guns, posted a pic the other day of a 3 shot group at like 3200 with 195's for a 28 NOS that was under a 1/4 minute. while that is awesome and it definitely meets his 1/2 MOA or better guarantee, the ES for those 3 rounds was close to 50fps. That equates to like a 12' difference at 1200 yards, and that's with a gravity and wind beater like the 195.

I would take my time and shoot a nice 5 x 5 and sell it to one of the guys on here that wants to use it for hunting. If a guy is going to hunt with it he shouldn't care about stringing above 5 shots....

Reactions: PFG
@OH58DViper agree. I've got some guns that I find very accurate, and I've never tested them hot, running long strings. I might change my mind about them if I did. Then again, I'm more interested in first shot, cold bore accuracy and follow up shots. That and no POI shift with suppressor on the end.

@Pro517, I think its worth considering this to be a solid rifle, but not the perfect hot barrel long shot string gun.

Reactions: ThePretzel
Ok guys I’ll say this ONE MORE TIME... i am not the original poster nor have i posted ANY pics on this thread. I replied to the original post with my experience with MY rifle, and then explained in a follow up post what happened after it was “fixed”.
My conclusion on MY rifle is a barrel issue. I am not the first to have this issue. I don’t shoot until the barrel is blazing hot either. I have several proof barrel guns and even an earlier build CA rifle that can shoot similar 1/2 minute strings all day long.
I am sending the rifle on my own dime to a real gunsmith for a proof barrel and expect good results.

AGAIN, I am sorry if i sounded like the original poster, but i was just relaying my experience.

Ok guys I’ll say this ONE MORE TIME... i am not the original poster nor have i posted ANY pics on this thread. I replied to the original post with my experience with MY rifle, and then explained in a follow up post what happened after it was “fixed”.
My conclusion on MY rifle is a barrel issue. I am not the first to have this issue. I don’t shoot until the barrel is blazing hot either. I have several proof barrel guns and even an earlier build CA rifle that can shoot similar 1/2 minute strings all day long.
I am sending the rifle on my own dime to a real gunsmith for a proof barrel and expect good results.

AGAIN, I am sorry if i sounded like the original poster, but i was just relaying my experience.
I wouldn't be so quick to point at the barrel. If your zero is that far off center, it could be receiver related too.

Ok guys I’ll say this ONE MORE TIME... i am not the original poster...

You should go back and edit your posts to note that at the start of them. The way you wrote at least post #86 on it's own, it reads as though it's the update from OP and not from some random unrelated person/issue.

@Pro517 my bad. You're right - sorry about that. Like @j741 pointed out, the post 86 had me thrown off. Oops.

@Alexander Cain looks like the OP with the gun that shot great 5 shot groups, but wandered around when hot, long shot strings.

You should go back and edit your posts to note that at the start of them. The way you wrote at least post #86 on it's own, it reads as though it's the update from OP and not from some random unrelated person/issue.
I can see how that is confusing. I did edit the post.

Reactions: j741
Where is the OP? I'm guessing he never got his gun back yet?