• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MrGoodHammer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2022
San Luis Obispo, CA
First time post here. New to precision bolt rifles, and looking forward to gathering wisdom from all of you.

I have recently purchased a 26" Christensen Arms MPR, in 6.5 CM.
I have a few hundred rounds through it so far, and am enjoying it very much.

Without a ton of effort, I have been able to keep it sub MOA, and hit 24" steel at 900yd 3:5 times, on average.
I know that's not terribly impressive to our veteran shooters, but it's a teste-swelling experience for a newb like me.
It can get pretty gusty at my local range, but I'm learning on-the-fly wind calls. So that's the excuse I'm sticking with...for now.

Now, to the point...
In my research, I missed this troubling blurb in the owners manual, regarding hand loads and the warranty. (see photo)
To a degree, I understand why it would be included in the warranty terms, as no gun manufacturer should be held responsible for the foolish actions of its customers.
YA HEAR THAT BRANDON??!!
Any fool can attempt to run extra hot loads, shred the barrel/action, and blame the manufacturer. Why would anybody agree to cover that?

So, now I have 2 questions...

1) Is this warranty exemption, standard among most/all manufacturers?

2) Has any CA owners, running sensible hand loads, been denied a warranty claim due to not using strictly factory ammo?
a) If so...how do they know?
b) Do they only ask if it the reported warranty issue is obviously due to over-pressure?

I would, of course, only run hand-loads that comply with SAAMI specs, not to exceed published load data.
So, on one hand, my loads would be warranty friendly.
But since they are hand loads, they would automatically void the warranty.

Should I choose to run hand loads, I'm just curious as to what kind of static I may have to look forward to, and if CA makes a big deal about it.
I'd rather not lie, should I ever need to make a warranty claim.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 8.03.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 8.03.53 AM.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
They cant tell the difference between a factory or a handload. That is until you blow up the rifle with bad hand loads, then theyll deny you.

And yes, its standard boiler plate for any rifle you buy from anyone.

I sent my 6.5 PRC MPR back as the folding joint on the stock was loose. They paid the postage.
It was returned in 2 weeks, again paid by them.
I called to ask what was done and told it has a new stock, CF barrel and bolt as it was not up to their accuracy standard. It was a 10 shot 0.8+ MOA group gun. The barrel had 600+ rds through it already.

They didn’t ask what ammo and I definitely hand load. Initially on the original barrel pretty hot. FWIW I wouldn’t have admitted that. 🍻

Reactions: FuhQ
Until there’s an issue, don’t make things into a big deal. If it ever comes down to it, tell them you’re running factory Hornady or Lapua or Nosler ammo. There’s no way they can prove otherwise. Same goes for any manufacturer. I’ve seen factory ammo blow up a gun. It happens. 👍🏼

Shoot it , and if you are hell bent on sending it in for warranty some day in the future just lie . Chances are you won't have to worry about your guilt for lying .

All manufacturers have the same language. Cover Your Ass in a modern world of lawsuits for any and everything.

They cant tell the difference between a factory or a handload. That is until you blow up the rifle with bad hand loads, then theyll deny you.

And yes, its standard boiler plate for any rifle you buy from anyone.
This ^^

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input.
I'm confident it won't be an issue unless I blow up the barrel due to overpressure.
At which point, I probably would recognize my mistake, and not try to warranty claim it.

• Haha
Reactions: db2000
I had their MPR 300PRC that when shooting factory Hornady loads with a suppressor would lock the bolt up so bad that we had to put a cleaning rod down the barrel tapping on the spent brass while someone else tried to lift the bolt. Did this with different lots of factory ammo. Took the suppressor off and it shot just fine. Called their customer service and told them what was going on and was told that because I put a suppressor on the rifle that it voided the warranty because a suppressor is an aftermarket accessory. I then asked them why they thread their barrels if anything threaded on to them would void the warranty and the customer service guy just kept referencing their policy about after market accessories and wouldn’t do anything about it.

Needless to say its a one shot boat anchor if used suppressed.

Yep, most firearms manufacturers will state, the use of handloads voids factory warranty...or +P factory ammo in many pistols. Unless there is a major recall, usually you're out of luck. I see guys send firearms in and they come back exactly the same..., with a statement that says, "within factory specifications."
None of my guns have ever fired a factory round...all they've shot is handloads. So I'm not concerned with factory gun warranties.
Reminds me of a Toyota recall, brought the truck in twice for replacement...but the new electric parts were not available at this time for my model...2 yrs later, the recall was forgotten about...guess I didn't need the new $1500 part, the truck is running fine without it.

I had their MPR 300PRC that when shooting factory Hornady loads with a suppressor would lock the bolt up so bad that we had to put a cleaning rod down the barrel tapping on the spent brass while someone else tried to lift the bolt. Did this with different lots of factory ammo. Took the suppressor off and it shot just fine. Called their customer service and told them what was going on and was told that because I put a suppressor on the rifle that it voided the warranty because a suppressor is an aftermarket accessory. I then asked them why they thread their barrels if anything threaded on to them would void the warranty and the customer service guy just kept referencing their policy about after market accessories and wouldn’t do anything about it.

Needless to say it’s a one shot boat anchor if used suppressed.

A suppressor voids their warranty? Doesn’t make sense.

Thanks for bringing up an old thread with a whole lot of poor information.

First things first, the old customer service team that could only read a policy on a webpage no longer works in this company. As of September 1st 2023 the customer service team is 100% new with people I recruited from around the industry as some of the best and brightest, who are committed to customers.

Second, the warranty is a guideline that needs to be refreshed from time to time. Ours has clearly not been updated for years and is poorly written which I am addressing.

Since I have been here I have brought back 3 firearms that had been blown up due to poor reloads, I had engineering inspect all 3 rifles as any manufacturer will do and 2 were replaced for honest customers who said they reloaded and screwed up. The third was not replaced due to a customer who threatened lawsuits because he blew up his rifle with his subsonic handloads. Honesty is key and gets you farther than threats. All of us here shoot reloads because we are poor gun guys, so why would we expect some of our customers who are poor gun guys not too?

Suppressors do not void your warranty. The issue you get into with suppressors is every single one is different. We only have a very limited number of suppressors at the factory to test with so those repairs become tricky. Backpressure is different in every can which leads to different issues, which without that can available to us we can't really test. But that does not ever mean we won't do our best to see what we can do and bring that rifle back and take a look.

If you ever need help, please feel free to reach out to me here and I will be glad to get any questions or concerns addressed.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy
Director of Customer Experience

First things first, the old customer service team that could only read a policy on a webpage no longer works in this company. As of September 1st 2023 the customer service team is 100% new with people I recruited from around the industry as some of the best and brightest, who are committed to customers.

Second, the warranty is a guideline that needs to be refreshed from time to time. Ours has clearly not been updated for years and is poorly written which I am addressing.

Since I have been here I have brought back 3 firearms that had been blown up due to poor reloads, I had engineering inspect all 3 rifles as any manufacturer will do and 2 were replaced for honest customers who said they reloaded and screwed up. The third was not replaced due to a customer who threatened lawsuits because he blew up his rifle with his subsonic handloads. Honesty is key and gets you farther than threats. All of us here shoot reloads because we are poor gun guys, so why would we expect some of our customers who are poor gun guys not too?

Suppressors do not void your warranty. The issue you get into with suppressors is every single one is different. We only have a very limited number of suppressors at the factory to test with so those repairs become tricky. Backpressure is different in every can which leads to different issues, which without that can available to us we can't really test. But that does not ever mean we won't do our best to see what we can do and bring that rifle back and take a look.

If you ever need help, please feel free to reach out to me here and I will be glad to get any questions or concerns addressed.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy
Sorry you got your feelings hurt for me bringing up my personal experience with Christensen Arms warranty issue on the Christensen Arms Warranty forum.
It's probably a good thing you are cleaning house to get your warranty issues sorted out rather than them reading the pamphlet.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about my experience with your customer service and can provide you the name of who I was talking with and go into a lot more detail as to what was said.

Reactions: TheBigCountry

Very respectfully,
Jimmy
Jimmy, you’re doing a good job. The customer service I’ve experienced has been excellent!

I avoided CA because of Ranger feeding issues and their center rifles blowing off the threaded muzzles off their rifles. I went and bought CZ457 and 2 Sig Crosses instead.

-personal friend lost his muzzle brake and tore off the threaded portion of his muzzle. .300 prc
-shooter a few benches down did the same thing (bullet lodged) so I am unsure if it was ammo or gun related. .308.
-a friend who sells guns stopped pushing CA when he bought a 6 creed MPR for himself but was bored out for 6.5 creed and had horrible CS service.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt for me bringing up my personal experience with Christensen Arms warranty issue on the Christensen Arms Warranty forum.
It's probably a good thing you are cleaning house to get your warranty issues sorted out rather than them reading the pamphlet.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about my experience with your customer service and can provide you the name of who I was talking with and go into a lot more detail as to what was said.
Absolutely no feelings in this. That was a legitimate thank you for bringing up old experiences. This is why I was brought on and what I have been determined to fix. I have been in this industry for a good amount of time and as a hunter and competition shooter, I know what customers expect out of the amount of money they are spending on our rifles. We have a new COO as well that I have been working hand in hand with to fix all issues from quality control to customer service. The only thing I can't fix is if people want to complain and not be helped.

We would be glad to look at your rifle and see what we can find. Like I said we are limited on the suppressors we have on hand, but that is something we are working on now as well. We have a lot of cool things coming in the near future and we have a great team that is committed to fixing what we can from the past.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy

@Wiillk The military killed my feelings long ago, so I can take it! The biggest thing is no one is perfect, I have been with CA for a few months now, and the commitment that these people show me that they want to produce the best rifle possible and overcome the sins of the past really amazes me. The company had a very take-it-or-leave-it attitude in the past, but that philosophy doesn't always work. Seeing where you need to improve is always a great vision moving forward. We have some great things coming moving forward, and look at only getting better. Anyone who truly wants help, myself and my team will bend over backward to help them with any issue they have. Anyone who just wants to talk trash is more than welcome too, but we are going to focus on the people who want to be helped.

@redneckbmxer24 If you are in the gun industry, you are not here for the money! We may have some nice rifles, but we are eating ramen noodles to pay for them. We have to make sacrifices to look good while we are out hunting! I have heard from a number of guys I have dealt with who have saved up all their piggy bank money to buy a nice rifle like ours, so I do take it a bit to heart when they contact with a legit issue. I'm a shooter, competitive shooter, and hunter so I have been in those shoes when something fails and you want to go play in oncoming traffic. Really, we are all just poor gun guys, ask any of our wives, we spend too much on guns, ammo, optics, and hunting stuff!

Very respectfully,
Jimmy

Its a Christensen thing.
It's definitely an FN thing (SCAR)... But never heard of Christensen having an issue with it, since their rifles come threaded, and with both a muzzle brakes and thread protector, so you can remove the muzzle brake to run a suppressor.

When I had issues with my MPR in 6mm ARC, I told Christensen (Jimmy) that I only shoot suppressed and only handload for my rifles, and they said that didn't matter. The issue it was having made zero difference whether it was suppressed or handloaded for, because it was doing the same thing with factory ammo, and got worse unsuppressed.

Why in the hell would you shove a cleaning rod down the barrel and tap backwards on the case to alleviate pressure "to get the bolt to unlock" when that's literally the exact same direction the lugs are already being pressed and bound against the receiver's internal lugs to begin with? You were exacerbating the problem by tapping on the case with a cleaning rod... You should have been tapping on the bolt shroud forward with a rubber mallet as you lifted up on the handle to alleviate lug pressure to unlock the bolt...Then tap the case out with the cleaning rod if it was stuck in the chamber, and got ripped off the extractor... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

Reactions: Rookie
Why in the hell would you shove a cleaning rod down the barrel and tap backwards on the case to alleviate pressure "to get the bolt to unlock" when that's literally the exact same direction the lugs are already being pressed and bound against the receiver's internal lugs to begin with? You were exacerbating the problem by tapping on the case with a cleaning rod... You should have been tapping on the bolt shroud forward with a rubber mallet as you lifted up on the handle to alleviate lug pressure to unlock the bolt...Then tap the case out with the cleaning rod if it was stuck in the chamber, and got ripped off the extractor... 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

That’s literally one of the oldest tricks in the book and it works. I’m not surprised at all that you don’t know this. You should go learn WTF primary extraction is.

But yeah, beat your bolt forward on stick cases and then rip the extractor off the rim. Fucking idiot.

That’s literally one of the oldest tricks in the book and it works. I’m not surprised at all that you don’t know this. You should go learn WTF primary extraction is.

But yeah, beat your bolt forward on stick cases and then rip the extractor off the rim. Fucking idiot.
🤣😂🤣 I’m not surprised you would be stupid enough to do that, and then defend someone else’s stupidity. Have a great day RedneckButtFucker.