• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

I replaced at AIAT with the MPR (and a good chunk of cash) I talked about a few posts up. It’s not even in the same ballpark from an equipment function or accuracy perspective. I’m sure the same can be said for many of the custom rifles out there.

However, the chassis and overall weight is much more practical for field use, and crossover to some recreational long range shooting to keep your hunting skills sharp. My sample will shoot factory 143 Hornady ammo under a minute pretty easily. And that’s plenty good for a hunting gun. Let’s not fool ourselves, there’s folks that brag about group sizes and there’s folks that just go out and kill stuff in the real world.
Interested in knowing what malfunction(s) and accuracy issues you had over the AIAT? I had a loose stock at the joint and Christiansen replaced it as well as the barrel and bolt, unsolicited, as they felt it didn’t meet their accuracy standards. I was getting sun MOA and now 0.6” with Berger 156 EOL’s.

Reactions: SWgeezer
Interested in knowing what malfunction(s) and accuracy issues you had over the AIAT?

I may have said something confusing, but have had neither accuracy issues or malfunctions with either my old AT, or my new MPR. The only reason I even brought it up was to make comparisons... the MPR is no AI but it’s a practical field gun with acceptable accuracy in most instances.

Reactions: db2000
Might wait for one to come up in the classifieds. They definitely don't have custom rifle accuracy IMO

Probably not but mine is a 16" barrel 308 and I like to run it on 41gr loads under 168 MK's. It's an easy shooter and groups under a half regularly if I do my part.

It definitely won't put five shots in a single hole with me behind the trigger but it's certainly no slouch.

I have the .338 lapua version with a burris xtr3. I like it a lot and seems to recoil very mildly for the weight. My main complaint is the tight chamber throat which seriously limits the coal./ being able to take advantage of the magnum case capacity.

Attachments

• 16099054674497222437512645336815.jpg
    16099054674497222437512645336815.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 156

While there is no shortage of chassis rifles out there, after getting hands on Christensen's version for the first time tonight it was clear to me that they knocked it out of the park on this one. On top of all the right features, they killed it on the price also - retail is UNDER $2300!

The buttstock is adjustable for LOP and comb height and folds to the right. Stainless action with fluted bolt/knob and extended handle, AICS mag compatibility, hand-lapped carbon fiber wrapped barrel, left side cut-out for smoother reload, great trigger, m-lok compatibility, and comes threaded 5/8x24 with the brake shown. Oh yea, the weight runs from 6.9 - 7.9lbs!

Tomorrow we get to stretch it out at the range so will report back after that!

First run of rifles will be delivered starting in November (yes, of this year) and will initially consist of 6.5 Creed in 22" and 26" flavor and 16", 20" and 24" in 308 Win.

Will post more details on our blog as internet speed allows - only 1megabit here outside Moab UT, and about 1000 people are sharing it right now!

MORE PICS and review details added here as internet speed allows! - CA Modern Precision Rifle

Jason
Just purchased the 300 PRC. Need some ammo to throw down the throat of this beast. Please help!

Attachments

• 7D33994A-2EF0-40C2-ACE6-97C09973B418.jpeg
    7D33994A-2EF0-40C2-ACE6-97C09973B418.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 203
That thing is good looking. Always been a fan of the way traditional Christiansen rifles look. They knocked it out of the park with this one too it looks like.
Thanks. Shoots great and their CS was amazing.

Im curious does anyone else find that their chamber throats are very tight? limiting the length to which you can load your rounds?

Im curious does anyone else find that their chamber throats are very tight? limiting the length to which you can load your rounds?
Bump your shoulder back .002-3” and see if that helps

Bump your shoulder back .002-3” and see if that helps
Thanks I do that, my issue is not the case chambering but the length to which I can seat the bullet out before it contacts the lands. I've experimented with several types of bullets using the hornady modified case and oal length gauge and all are well under mag length.

Thanks I do that, my issue is not the case chambering but the length to which I can seat the bullet out before it contacts the lands. I've experimented with several types of bullets using the hornady modified case and oal length gauge and all are well under mag length.
Right on. I wasn’t sure. Sometimes a tight shoulder feels like you’re in the lands. I only have one CA rifle and haven’t experienced running out of room to the lands.

I shoot left hander with long guns, and I do a lot of night work.

I really like this weapon--two questions for those of you that use it.

Can the cheek piece be used as is if shot left handed ?? If not can it be replaced.??

Is there a way to mount a rail on the Stock to accept a CNVD-LR ??

Thx

I tried calling CA and asking about this the beginning of 2018 I believe it was...
I was told the they they were working on it

Called beginning of 2019...
Was told I wasn't the first person to ask that, and they were thinking about it

Beginning of 2020...
We don't make anything for it and don't have plans to

So good luck with that one

Yes. I shoot Hornady ELD match ammo with zero issues. But I bought a big brick of Hornady American Gunner 6.5 Creedmoor and I couldn’t close the bolt on half the ammo. Ended up with a stuck bullet in my chamber and powder all over the inside of my action when I tried to pull one out after unsuccessfully loading it and trying to close the bolt. When I pulled the bolt back it brought back the case and left the bullet in my barrel.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
got my si.co. harvester 338 out of jail. going with a griffin taper mount & paladin muzzle brake...
fyi if you go this route get the xl taper mount for the longer 2 port brakes... fedex is ruining my plans now

I shoot left hander with long guns, and I do a lot of night work.

I really like this weapon--two questions for those of you that use it.

Can the cheek piece be used as is if shot left handed ?? If not can it be replaced.??

Thx
Are you talking about a pic rail for a clip on? You might find this useful.... I happened to have a bolt on pic rail sitting around from an XLR Evolution chassis. It’s a dead match for the holes in the top of the MPR carbon rail.

Well, I've realized that I can't run the Nomad on my MPR.

The chamber is incredibly tight, so much so that I have to full length resize on every reload. Neck sizing will not work with my rifle, they stick every time. And as I should have guessed, the increased carbon introduces enough fouling to stick a round after half a dozen or so shots.

I shot them an email and explained the situation and was immediately asked what kind of factory ammo was I using. Well, as stated... I reload.

"Sorry, we only cover factory ammunition. We'd be happy to take it back and test it with factory ammo."

Whatever, I asked if they would run a can on it. No was the answer.

It runs fine uncorked, so basically no help from Christensen.

It's unfortunate, I love the rifle but I will never buy another product from them.

Well, I've realized that I can't run the Nomad on my MPR.

The chamber is incredibly tight, so much so that I have to full length resize on every reload. Neck sizing will not work with my rifle, they stick every time. And as I should have guessed, the increased carbon introduces enough fouling to stick a round after half a dozen or so shots.

I shot them an email and explained the situation and was immediately asked what kind of factory ammo was I using. Well, as stated... I reload.

"Sorry, we only cover factory ammunition. We'd be happy to take it back and test it with factory ammo."

Whatever, I asked if they would run a can on it. No was the answer.

It runs fine uncorked, so basically no help from Christensen.

It's unfortunate, I love the rifle but I will never buy another product from them.

I always flr. , Bump the shoulder 2 thou no issues .338 LM MPR with harvester can. 1 hole groups w/ reloads, throat is short... I love the gun but all the reports of issues leave me with little respect for the company... will be rebarreling with a proof when the time comes

I always flr. , Bump the shoulder 2 thou no issues .338 LM MPR with harvester can. 1 hole groups w/ reloads, throat is short... I love the gun but all the reports of issues leave me with little respect for the company... will be rebarreling with a proof when the time comes
^^^Yep, same with my 6.5 PRC and Omega. No issues. I even only trim every 3 firings usually. Great groups and SD’s.

Thanks LRA, I'd be very interested to see if it cures the problem.

Well I just picked this up yesterday. MPR in 308 with a 20" Steel barrel. Heard much griping about the carbon barrels so I figured I'd just go with a steel barrel. Since I bought it from work I received the gun at 15% above "cost". Topped it with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet since the weather has been crap.

Attachments

• DSC_4684_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4684_tonemapped.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: 4X4Dad
Well I just picked this up yesterday. MPR in 308 with a 20" Steel barrel. Heard much griping about the carbon barrels so I figured I'd just go with a steel barrel. Since I bought it from work I received the gun at 15% above "cost". Topped it with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet since the weather has been crap.
Let us know, interested to see how the steel one shoots.

Reactions: ArmedGinger
So took the MPR out today for a little trip. Wasn't trying to dial it in precise just sight it in. Sighting in very easily and even the pregnant wife on her first try did 5 for 5 on the 400 yard gong with it.

Shooting Federal Premium 175gr SMK.

Attachments

• DSC_4722_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4722_tonemapped.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 515
  • DSC_4707_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4707_tonemapped.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
Reactions: smtitmelevi
Took it out again for a little trip to the range. It shot good although kicked up sand in my face though due to someone ripping open a sandbag on the bench. Really sandpapered my visage :D

Did a decent 5 shot group through with factory ammo.

Attachments

• DSC_4750_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4750_tonemapped.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_4751_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4751_tonemapped.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • DSC_4755_tonemapped.jpg
    DSC_4755_tonemapped.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
Reactions: LongRangeAggie
Group looks good ArmedGinger. Going through the last 4-5 pages of this thread, it seems that a lot of people have had problems or been disappointed in their MPR. I’ve had mine for a year and a half now and been nothing but happy with it. I have the 26” 6.5 Creedmoor and it’s been stellar. I recently got an AAC SDN-6 out of jail and mounted it to my MPR. I bought the suppressor specifically for a .300 blackout upper, but I thought what the hell, might as well give it a try on the 6.5. Except for a point of impact change, it does not appear to weaken my groups. Picture below is the last 6 rounds I had left shooting for groups with the suppressor installed. 3 shots on each target:
8D64924E-4D04-428B-834B-1BAEE459EA00.jpeg

Reactions: ArmedGinger
I haven’t started reloading yet, but found that my rifle absolutely loves Hornady 140 grain ELD match ammo. I go down to a monthly long range shooting competition in Boulder City Nevada pretty regularly. It’s broken up into heavy and light classes. To be in light class, your rifle and scope must be under 12 pounds. I used to compete in heavy class with an FN SPR in .308. Best I ever did was 4th place, and I quickly noticed that of the 20-30 shooters that show up each month, I was probably the only one still shooting .308. Everyone else was probably 75% 6.5 Creedmoor, with the rest being a mix of .260, 6.5 PRC, 6mm Dasher, 6.5x47, etc.

My FN SPR was also my only bolt action rifle. So I’ve had the unpleasant experience of hunting with it, and while it done fine with Antelope, Elk, and Deer, packing a 17+ pound rifle around in the hills sucks. So when I searched for a new rifle, I knew I wanted two things. I wanted it to be light, and I wanted it in 6.5 Creedmoor. I took a decent look at some of the Bergara and Tikka offerings, but have loved the look
of the MPR since I first saw it on the cover of a random gun magazine in an airport. At a standard price of $2,200ish, it was a bit out of my budget (young family, early career, student loans to pay off). Luckily for me, a dealer on gunbroker spelled Christensen wrong, and I got a brand new one in the box for $1,525. Only thing I can think of was the misspelling caused it to avoid some searches, because there were plenty with bids in the $1,900 range at the same time.

Once I had my rifle, I needed a scope, as I don’t want to pull my Leupold Mark 4 off my SPR. I was planning on a Vortex PST 2, but right around the same time my rifle arrived, Nikon announced they were getting out of the rifle scope game, and Eurooptic clearanced the FX-1000 line of scopes for $449, down from $899. Scope rings purchased with the scope were another $100. So all in, I had a new rifle, scope, and rings for right around $2,100. I thought I did pretty good.

Taking the MPR down to the competition, I moved to the light division, as I’m sitting right at 11.5 pounds all together. Right away I moved from the bottom 3rd of competitors in heavy, to taking 2nd place in light division.

And then I took 2nd place every time after. Until last month.

Now to give you an idea of the match. The typical match is 1 MOA square steel plates at 560, 740, 850, 920, and 1,100 yards. So the closests plates are roughly 5 1/2 inches wide and tall, furthest are 11 inches.

The other shooters all reload. Every one of them but me and I buddy I introduced to the match. Almost every gun is custom. There is 1-2 factory Ruger Precision’s, another guy in light division shoots a Q Fix that’s factory. But everything else seems to be a $3,000+ custom built rifle, with custom actions, custom barrels, etc. And everyone else’s scopes are either Vortex Razor, Leupold Mark 5’s, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, or other high end brands I’m not even familiar with. Once while walking down the firing line to set up, my buddy made the comment “Man, it’s like we showed up to a Ferrari and Lambo race with a Honda Civic”.

The standard distance plates are all at berms, so you have immediate feedback if you miss. The match used to give you 2 minutes to shoot unlimited sighters, then 4 minutes for 5 shots of record at each distance. With the gun panic making both ammo and reloading parts harder to come by, they’ve changed it this year to 1 sighter, and 3 shots of record. But, if you hit your sighter and all 3 shots of record, your sighter shot counts and you get 4 points instead of 3.

To mix things up, they changed the June competition. Instead of the standard targets at the berms that everyone knows there dope for, they put 8” plates at random spots out in the middle of the sage brush. No berms behind any of them.

(pic of some of the June targets)
C575B426-1BE3-41EF-A413-60CDD90F9B27.jpeg

20472355-7B38-4ABD-8495-77A6416B306A.jpeg

The distances were now 346, 640, 853, 945, and 1,012 yards. The plates were all 8” squares. Not 1 MOA specific to that distance. Because of the amount of shooters, in this case 23, you had to start at different distances and work your up. So I was in heat two, shooting the left target (two at each distance, blue and orange) starting at 853. Then going 945, 1,012, 346, then 640.

This was my set up:
439E44EC-C9A7-44C6-9C2C-39E746D513AD.jpeg

And yes, it’s factory Hornady ammo. I bought some of the 50 round reloader cases because before the reduced shot count change, I was almost always shooting exactly 50 rounds per competition and it’s easier then packing 3 boxes of ammo. Also, my rear bag is from Walmart. Lol, $15 for the two you see on the table. Rifle behind mine is my buddies. I should also point out that like 10+ of the shooters use the “Phoenix something” bipod you see in the top right of the picture. The damn thing is practically a sled, and should be banned in my opinion.

Anyways, I use the free “bullet drop” app I downloaded to my iPhone, and just keep the basic Hornady 140 ELD info in it, adjusting just the weather info from my iPhones weather app each time I go.
474B3D05-4CF4-4B52-AE3B-28A7578BC240.png

I think I added 120ish feet per second assuming my SDN-6 might add around that.

Since I was starting at 853 I hit the calculate button to dial my elevation:
84F45091-8ED2-4106-B3A6-3517AC21F10D.png

I round up to the 6.1 mils for 860 and let it fly. *PING* I hit it! Cold bore shot at 860 yards was right on target. Sent the next three: PING, PING, PING!! Went 4/4. End of first distance heat, only myself and one other shooter cleaned all 4 shots. And he did it with a almost 30 pound custom heavy rifle shooting 6mm Dasher.

945 yards I hit 2 shots, 1,012 I hit another 2 shots. And it was hard. It had like a false berm:
0D7C721B-29D2-4AB9-93E0-27664A4C71FB.jpeg

It looks like it has a berm, but that hill is actually around 60 yards behind the plate. Lots of guys were hitting the hillside thinking they were close, but they were overshooting the target by quite a bit.

All in all, I had 14 hits out of 20. Taking first place in light weight division. Winner of heavy (same guy with 6mm Dasher) also had 14 hits, but since I had the most hits at the farthest distances, I was declared both light weight division winner and over all match winner.
D921BA54-2C14-45E0-923C-8EFA39267940.jpeg

I’m not much of a shit talker, so my buddy had fun getting a rise out of the guys shooting their $5,000+ rigs.
“We just lost to a factory gun! Shooting factory ammo! With a $400 scope and a $15 Walmart shooting bag! With a AAC quick detach suppressor! What the hell guys!?”

So for you guys on the fence. The Christensen Arms MPR has some great potential.

Looking to see if anyone has done this. I have a MPR 300 win mag and I am looking to put an AG comp stock and HS precision bottom metal with the 3rd mag. I mainly use the gun for hunting and prefer a traditional stock vs the chassis. Thanks

I feel for the guys that have had issues, it sucks to hear. I’ve had mine for ~2.5 years, taken it out to a mile at Arena Tactical with no issues. Hopefully for you all, the issues get resolved. Debating throwing the carbon-ed barrel and action in a whiskey 3 as I’m more a fan of those, and don’t want to build yet another 6.5 when I’ve this one here.

Attachments

• F0A4BA04-B8A8-4857-BB37-03A5E21AF572.jpeg
    F0A4BA04-B8A8-4857-BB37-03A5E21AF572.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 12640B27-D7CC-406F-AA95-CAD2DF360C51.jpeg
    12640B27-D7CC-406F-AA95-CAD2DF360C51.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 215
Just got this 6.5 PRC finished up. This is going to be my main hunting rifle. Weighs in at 11.09 pounds, just over my goal weight. Initial impressions of fit and finish are positive, especially considering the price point. Hoping that also holds true at the range.

75E064BC-6794-468E-AE28-7703A48D9C95.jpeg

I have pressure issues and stuck cases as well with mild reloads way below max charge. I sent it to my gunsmith to polish the chamber and see if that helps. Will report back.
Had the chamber polished a few times but my gunsmith, said it was doing the same thing. I'm having him re-cut the chamber so that I know it's done correctly. Will post results after I get it back.

While there is no shortage of chassis rifles out there, after getting hands on Christensen's version for the first time tonight it was clear to me that they knocked it out of the park on this one. On top of all the right features, they killed it on the price also - retail is UNDER $2300!

The buttstock is adjustable for LOP and comb height and folds to the right. Stainless action with fluted bolt/knob and extended handle, AICS mag compatibility, hand-lapped carbon fiber wrapped barrel, left side cut-out for smoother reload, great trigger, m-lok compatibility, and comes threaded 5/8x24 with the brake shown. Oh yea, the weight runs from 6.9 - 7.9lbs!

Tomorrow we get to stretch it out at the range so will report back after that!

First run of rifles will be delivered starting in November (yes, of this year) and will initially consist of 6.5 Creed in 22" and 26" flavor and 16", 20" and 24" in 308 Win.

Will post more details on our blog as internet speed allows - only 1megabit here outside Moab UT, and about 1000 people are sharing it right now!

MORE PICS and review details added here as internet speed allows! - CA Modern Precision Rifle

Jason
I have owned 2 of these guns, sold the both just after a month of owning. Just my opinion

Everytime I look at one I think "I need that", then I read mixed reviews and I change my mind.

I don't like the way Christensen's actions feel.

I do like the price, $2200 for a turn-key carbon fiber barreled 700 clone upgrade with a great light chassis and a Trigger Tech.

If a guy could get one of their chassis alone. I just can't find one anywhere.

Last edited:
Has anyone with a MPR in 300 PRC messed with removing any of the screws in the top of the muzzle brake?… if so, did it make any sort of difference?

D7EE6CEB-D693-432D-9AE9-7C228268A366.jpeg

Everytime I look at one I think "I need that", then I read mixed reviews and I change my mind.

I don't like the way Christensen's actions feel.

I do like the price, $2200 for a turn-key carbon fiber barreled 700 clone upgrade with a great light chassis and a Trigger Tech.

If a guy could get one of their chassis alone. I just can't find one anywhere.
EO showing that you can backorder one. https://www.eurooptic.com/Christensen-Arms-MPR-17-Desert-Brown-Rem-700-LA-Chassis-440-00013-07.aspx