• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph recommendation?

Sblzrd65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
East Coast, USA
Looking for a chrono to take to PRS22 matches, check speed on, etc. Not any reloading, but more to double check ammo vs. what's typed on the box. Leaning towards the Magneto V3. Any other options in the under $400-500 range that are handy to use, options for data, don't involve setting up a whole operation, and works when there's a bunch of people all checking zeros at the same time, etc?

i have a magneto v3 and i like it a lot. also have a a bluetooth prochrono - but as you stated, its a whole bunch of work to set up and sucks when others are on the range. you may be able to get by with the sporter version to save a few dollars... in any event, their customer service is really good too, for whatever that is worth.

In that price range, the M v3 is the clear winner. No need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
Magneto Speed V3 is what I have also, works great...just remember you'll probably need to adjust the sensitivity for .22lr; I think mine is set at "6".

Sporter magnetospeed and maybe add a labradar down the road if they ever are available or go down in price, not sure if they are worth the cost over the sporter but I've not used one.

Reactions: xxerexx
i use the labradar.yes it costs more but it will give you a true bc of your bullet. Just have it measure muzzle fps and then the a distance,I go to 129 yards take those 2 speeds and plug in the fomula and presso chango BC

You might find an Oehler 35p for around $500. There are none better and I include my Labradar when I say that. There is some set up, but you will get an accurate velocity for every round fired, and you can simultaneously shoot for group.

Magnetospeed V3, 300 bucks, out of the box and it works. Every time.
No questions. No drama.

Looking for a chrono to take to PRS22 matches, check speed on, etc. Not any reloading, but more to double check ammo vs. what's typed on the box. Leaning towards the Magneto V3. Any other options in the under $400-500 range that are handy to use, options for data, don't involve setting up a whole operation, and works when there's a bunch of people all checking zeros at the same time, etc?
My suggestion would be to save that chrono. money and buy ammo with it. Once it's shot it's shot. You can't duplicate it. Remfire ammo speed varies from Lot to lot. Box to box and round to round. Speeds posted on ammo boxes are only averages. What is the purpose of knowing how fast a remfire round is. Accuracy is not speed dependent in remfire ammo. The only way to know if it's any good is to shoot it.

My suggestion would be to save that chrono. money and buy ammo with it. Once it's shot it's shot. You can't duplicate it. Remfire ammo speed varies from Lot to lot. Box to box and round to round. Speeds posted on ammo boxes are only averages. What is the purpose of knowing how fast a remfire round is. Accuracy is not speed dependent in remfire ammo. The only way to know if it's any good is to shoot it.

The last PRS match I was at the dope off the side of the box wasn't useful going out/past 100. Borrowed someone's to check and by updating the speed I was able to get on the farther out targets. Practicing and writing down dope for the random ones like 86, 115, 216, etc would take more time and may not be practicable as distances change with each match.

If it were just soda cans at 50 and 100m I wouldn't care.

Reactions: LuvDog
Magnetospeed works great for me. I measure the speeds at temps close to the match temperature and use that speed for the match. Velocities very from lot to lot and with temperature changes of around 20° so you'll have check it more often if you shoot in different temperatures or switch lots constantly

Get the Magnetospeed, either a Sporter or V3. It's the easiest to use and set up. I never take mine to matches though. I do my chrono at home and get the data. And you should never take any data off any box of ammo, rimfire or centerfire. It's useless.

What? Anyone shooting 200 yards and beyond should chrono their ammo for obvious reasons. I say more to know ES numbers than finding an avg velocity to populate an app. There is always a story behind numbers.

What? Anyone shooting 200 yards and beyond should chrono their ammo for obvious reasons. I say more to know ES numbers than finding an avg velocity to populate an app. There is always a story behind numbers.
I.ve been shooting at 200yds longer than Vudoo has been in business. Never chronographed a round. I simply buy a brick of Lapua. Eley or RWS and test it at 200 to see if it will shoot a 10 shot 2 in group without throwing fliers. If it will do this then it will be competitive ammo in my competition. Why do I need to know the speed of the ammo? Speed has nothing to do with accuracy of remfire ammo, only vertical scope adjustment.

I.ve been shooting at 200yds longer than Vudoo has been in business. Never chronographed a round. I simply buy a brick of Lapua. Eley or RWS and test it at 200 to see if it will shoot a 10 shot 2 in group without throwing fliers. If it will do this then it will be competitive ammo in my competition. Why do I need to know the speed of the ammo? Speed has nothing to do with accuracy of remfire ammo, only vertical scope adjustment.

You answered you own question.

And WTF does Vudoo have to do with this? It's about chronos and you shooting more then almost 6 years really isn't as impressive as you think it is. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Let's see some 10 shot 2" groups at 200. I've shot plenty of under 2" 5 shot groups, never a 10 shot that held 2". You seem to play different games than the rest of us. If I shot set distances, I could live w/o a chrono too.

I have really liked my FX pocket chrono. It only reads to 1100 fps but that is within match standard velocity 22 rimfire ranges. $200. Once you understand you have to set a velocity range with the phone app the chrono works great

Now that you've explained why velocity is a critical variable in long range shooting, please.....

keep-going-deer.gif

And WTF does Vudoo have to do with this? It's about chronos and you shooting more then almost 6 years really isn't as impressive as you think it is. LOL

Not really interested in going back and forth on this one!

I went with a magnetospeed sporter. Set to hi 2 and picks up 100% on my mtu profile.

LabRadar is OK, but for subsonic 22, it is suboptimal. It doesn’t like small bullets for the radar return, and it doesn’t like quiet rounds, like subs, so it is kind of a PITA to use. An inertial trigger helps, but running the action sets it off too, so that adds a step.

If it wasn't such a hit-or-miss, as to whether you will get one that works or not, this would be the perfect chrono for situations like your's. Neither of mine have worked right so far, but the folks who's do works, say it's awesome. Maybe you'll get luckier than me?

The first one I bought made 3 detections and stopped working permanently. Sent it back to Midway, and have my 2nd one (replacement unit) here charging, and so far it's not even working at all (detecting anything) out of the box. I'm going to try it this weekend outside in the open to see if I can get it to work, but if it doesn't, I'm sending it back for a 3rd replacement. If that one doesn't work, I'm getting a full refund.