• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cigar thread 2.0

Had a 1926 padron tonight. Very tasty as always with the padron's.

I'm 2/3 of the way through my first 1926 right now. Hands down the best I've ever had. A Kristoff ligero maduro is up next.

For buying a box at a time:

La Gloria Serie R (its honestly the most balanced maduro I've ever had)
Partagas

For a special occasion or wanting to feel like a baller:

Any of the Padron Anniversary cigars
Arturo Fuente Anejo #60

My guilty pleasure (most cigar snobs will shun it but its still very good, and they probably have 1 hidden somewhere):

Gurkha Grand Reserve
Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur

A Kristoff ligero maduro is up next.

I think you will be very happy. Such a good cigar. I generally lean towards the shaggy footed variety.

My guilty pleasure (most cigar snobs will shun it but its still very good, and they probably have 1 hidden somewhere):

Gurkha Grand Reserve

I havent had a Grand Reseerve, but the Gurkha Rare Breeds I got in a sampler were actually REALLY good. I have had a decent amount of various Gurkha's and I wasnt impressed by to many of them. Was recommended a Gurkha Dragon(or something like that) from a B&M and it was a nasty cigar. I couldnt believe the guy actually recommended it. I know all pallets are different, but it was just bad. I think the problem most people have with Gurkha is that they have way to many offerings which causes none of their offerings to be knock your socks off good. Thats been my experience too. They put out the occasional gem, but for the most part they are ho hum. Their price point also puts them into competition with a TON of better cigars.

You were totally right. The Kristoff was awesome as well. I picked up both at a great little B&M I found on a weekend trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Every time I go up, I try to stop by and grab a few that I haven't tried before. Ironically, the only Gurkha I've tried to date came from there a couple of years ago. I picked up a few cellar reserves, and while their not the most impressive, I've definitely had worse. They've gotten better with some nap time though.
Yesterday I had a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 and an Undercrown. The last tasting note from the Tatuaje was index finger and thumb. I did not want to let it go.

Ive tried 3 or 4 undercrown's and just cant like them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the #9's and T52's, but the undercrowns are just underwhelming. Its supposed to be similar to the #9, but using cheaper tobacco. They got the cheap part right.

I had a Tatuaje black tubo a year or so ago that was from 2008(I couldnt believe it was still at the B&M, it was buried). It was fantastic. I think I read they only made 200 boxes worth.

I still think my favorite overall that I stuck a fork into(aka a roach clip LOL) to finish it off was the Montecristo #2 Habano I had in Canada 2 years ago. I need to have more, but at 35 a cigar in Canada they aint cheap.

I'll be finishing off my day with a Padron 45 this evening, and the a pour of Rittenhouse Rye 21y/o(you ARE only 50 once, right?).

Ya'all need to stay away from those Kristoff Maduro's. They're having issues with quality, and construction and also leaf issues. Don't buy them for at least another year or so until they can get the flavors and original taste notes back with the higher quality. Really. Don't buy them. Leave them be. Seriously...damn...not working...

I'll be finishing off my day with a Padron 45 this evening, and the a pour of Rittenhouse Rye 21y/o(you ARE only 50 once, right?).

Ya'all need to stay away from those Kristoff Maduro's. They're having issues with quality, and construction and also leaf issues. Don't buy them for at least another year or so until they can get the flavors and original taste notes back with the higher quality. Really. Don't buy them. Leave them be. Seriously...damn...not working...
Ahhhhh. Padron makes a fine cigar.
Padron 1926 Maduro No. 1 is my favorite.
Enjoy

sent via Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406875159.155543.jpg

Going fishing on the eastern side of the Sierras in two weeks, going to bring a Padron 1926 #6 with me. What a fantastic smoke!

I cannot afford to smoke a Padron 1926 Maduro as often as I may smoke a cigar. While driving through NC I stopped off at JRCigars and one of the guys behind the counter sold me a cigar similar at a fraction of 1926 cost.
If you are in same boat try a Partagas Black Label.

I pay close to $500 for a box of Padron 1926 No. 1 Maduro and close to $100 for a box of Partagas Black Label Maduro. Partagas was a great find for me!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1406897330077.jpg

If you find and try please update as I am curious on other's responses.

sent via Tapatalk

A well-aged Romeo y Julieta Churchill paired with a generous glass of Wyoming Whisky (batch 8) qualifies as a treat to this fat ol' boy. :cool:

Last night, a Man O' War Ruination and an Oliva Serie V. Wasn't in the mood for any surprises. Both high on my list and always consistent.
Tonight, my first My Father La Antiguedad. Perfect draw and great flavor. A pepper blast the whole way through and I'm in the final third as I type (I pretty much expected this from a DPG blend). Burn needed a little touching up a few times but it was worth it. Probably not its fault since it's only been resting in the box for a few weeks.

Having a Diesel Unholy Cocktail this evening. What a great smoke. Highly recommended stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have y'all had Gran Habano 2002 vintage corojos? They are a good smoke, the robustos dont take long if you dont have a lot of time. Very consistent medium to medium full, lots of smoke, doesnt go out or have burn issues, same draw everytime. Best of all, they are cheap, when on sale $2.50 a stick. Highly recommend. They are more consistent than any diesel i have smoked which seem to have some burn issues...i want to light a cigar and not have to do anything else but enjoy it, so an even burn and a stick that doesnt go out if you sit it down for 30 seconds is important to me.

I dont think you need to buy expensive cigars to have a great smoke. When I was overseas i bought cubans, namely the cohiba siglo series were my favorite, I like stronger cigars. They were perfect in construction and as you would expect very consistent but i tell you now I wouldnt spend that kind of money on a cigar with the availability of so many great smokes for not much money.

I look at it like whisky. You can spend 130 bucks on a bottle of scotch, and ill show you a ten year old bourbon that is smoother and better flavored for $30-50. These days you dont have to go big money to get quality, the playing field has really evened out.

Edited to add read through all the posts and as usual the hide has some great taste in cigars. Funny how this community has so many things in common, even outside the love of shooting. Carry on all and enjoy!

Last edited:
Last night, a Man O' War Ruination and an Oliva Serie V. Wasn't in the mood for any surprises. Both high on my list and always consistent.
Tonight, my first My Father La Antiguedad. Perfect draw and great flavor. A pepper blast the whole way through and I'm in the final third as I type (I pretty much expected this from a DPG blend). Burn needed a little touching up a few times but it was worth it. Probably not its fault since it's only been resting in the box for a few weeks.

How is the ruination compared to a diesel unlimited? Have you had one of those? I like a good strong cigar and the unlimiteds are the strongest i have had but mine dont want to burn right. Maybe Ill let them rest 6 months or so and come back to them.

The ruinations are in my top 3 for flavor, strength and consistency. I've smoked a ton of them and just can't get a bad one. I tend to gravitate towards strong cigars as well.

As far as the diesel line goes, I've tried about everything in the lineup and the unholy cocktail if my favorite by far. I had a 5 pack of the unlimited torpedoes a couple of years ago and right off the truck they were really harsh. I gave the next one 3 months and each one after that got 3 more months. They definitely smoothed out with time but they're a kick in the mouth no matter what. The flavor didn't really agree with me on this one but I'd give it a go one more time before I write it off. Just haven't made my way back to it cuz there is so damn many brands I want to try.
I think any diesel will benefit from some rest because at the rate they produce to keep up with demand, I can't see how the tobacco could have time to age. That said, the unholy cocktails have permanent real estate in my humidor. I really, really like them.
If you like strong cigars, try to get your hands on a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 and/or a Tatuaje tattoo. I really enjoyed both but to me the tattoo was the stronger of the two and has a more reasonable price point. You can get them for around 5 a stick. And thanks for bringing this thread back. I thought it was finished.

Thanks. I'll try the ruinations.

Try those gran habanos in the robusto size. They aren't a powerhouse but they aren't mild, are a great everyday midrange smoke that is relaxing and easy, and cheap if you catch the daily deal or a sale from CI.

Can you guys give a good recommendation for a good humidor? I want to start having nice cigars kept in the house. I just got through smoking my first Gurkha, a Ghost Exorcist. Very nice.

You do NOT want to buy those tiny little 50ct, or 100ct boxes. You will outgrow that in short order. What you DO want to buy is the

Treasure Dome ( Link below )

Treasure Dome Humidor | 250 Count Treasure Chest Humidor | Tampa Humidor

For storage of your cigars that will hold8 - 10 BOXES of cigars. NOTE: You MUST rotate stock inside the box about once a month. This si so you get to touch your ciagrs, smell your cigars(which you will do) and you get to make sure they stay evenly conditioned for storage at 65% - 73% Rh

The OTHER box you want to buy is

a 20ct CONDITIONING BOX as shown below

20 Cigar Mahogany Travel Humidor | Travel Humidor | Tampa Humidor

This si so you can store your one to two weeks supply of what you are GOING TO SMOKE at a nicely ready condition of 58% Rh. your cigars will burn more evenly, taste better, and provide a much nicer smoking experience in the process

When you look on the second link, you will note the small cylindrical humistat, you want that for your conditioning box and do not use the round one that comes with it as it is too large for 58%

If you are planning on buying a ton of boxes, ask me and I will direct you to a good cabinet sized for your desired amount of storage from 300 to 2500 lots

A few cigars I've had this summer. I'm going to a Fuente TAA event next month where I'll probably blow 90% of my annual cigar budget, LOL.

20140914_095702_zpscpr53a5x.jpg

I wanted to get a little more diversity in my humidor so I recently picked up a half dozen Liga Privada Undercrown Robustos, Crowned Heads Four Kicks torpedos, and Aging Room Quattro Churchills. So far, all of the sticks have been excellent and yet different for my pallet. The real winner of those three however is the Aging Room F55 Quattros. I've had both the robustos and the churchills and the same great quality, burn, and taste. Very good cigars, and I can't recommend them enough.

I have that treasure dome humidor and I love it. It doesn't hold the amount it states if you like bigger ring sticks but it's plenty big enough for me. I started out with a 50 and outgrew it inside of a year. I use it as a dry box now.

The only thing I would suggest past that is to ditch that analog hygrometer and get a digital one. It's much less hassle and more accurate (IMO) than the one it comes with. I also use heartfelt beads (65%) and with the box packed full it holds steady at 62%. I put a small tupperware tray in the bottom and took the foam out of the ones that came with it to mount to the top and filled them with beads as well. Plus heartfelt has had some of the best customer service I've dealt with.

I seasoned the box and calibrated the hygrometer with boveda packs and it took just under 2 weeks to season. And I got this bad boy for like 98 bucks on the devil site.

That 1916 is a Cameroon wrapper with a nice medium body Nica and Honduran filler. Check Cigar Bid for a low price on it by the box.

I just finished a CAO 2000-2001 Odyssey. Hints of light spice, a light intermittent sweet maple nut, and a smooth creamy finish. This big perfecto was a superb smoke from the initial 1/2" to the end.

Hey, you guys want a very smooth cigar that holds a nice medium body and will go with anything? Try the R4 by Rocky Patel
I had one last weekend and spent the entire time waiting for this cigar to just DO SOMETHING else besides SMOOTH. FLAVOR would have been appreciated. TASTE NOTES of ANYTHING would have been great. At around three fingers, I had to put it down. I mean this thing burned so evenly it was disgusting. It was SO SMOOTH it was sickening. What it was though, in the end, was completely freaking UNremarkable. Smooth, even burning, nice to hold wrapper, well constructed, unremarkable smoke...

Tonight I shall go totally to the other side as I have a well known, very consistent, RICHLY flavored, heavy bodied, even burning, Camacho SLR Maduro

Nothing tonight but my B&M's Christmas party is tomorrow. The owner got his Christmas allotment in so it seems proper to choose something from that purchase...

Might have to burn the OpusX "A" just cause a day off is the only time I have enough time to smoke one of those beasts! :D

Edit: Opus X Forbidden City Chateau de Reserva not shown. I burned that stick as soon as I bought it!

Reactions: eightyeight mag
I am a Perdomo fan, really have been enjoying the sun grown recently.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Love
Reactions: nikonNUT
This thread needed to be bumped for its great info. I thought there was a bigger thread but only found a few smaller ones.
Had a sample box of 1926 Padron show up to my house yesterday thanks to a great friend. I have not had the pleasure of a 1926 in 4 or 5 years. Not a big Cigar guy but do enjoy them form time to time. The 1926 is tops for me. So I broke out the Humidor and dropped in a 72% pack to get her seasoned up, though it was sitting pretty good at 65% considering its sat empty for a year or so. I hope to enjoy the first one here in a few weeks on opening weekend.

Quite fortuitous this thread popped up as I was enjoying my morning cigar

IMG_20201019_104123_5.jpg

Really liking this Muestra de Saka.....wasn't a fan of it the first time I tried one, but figured ide give it another shot and I'm glad I did

My faves are as follows:
Cohiba Nicaragua
Man o' war Ruination
Punch Diablo
La Herencia Cubana Core
Alec Bradley Prensado
Couldn't begin to explain the notes or nuances. Just love them by themselves, or with a good Kentucky or Tennessee Bourbon.

Anyone running Boveda humidity packs in their humidors? Thoughts? Experiences? Just got some to try out, and so far I'm pretty impressed...

Anyone running Boveda humidity packs in their humidors? Thoughts? Experiences? Just got some to try out, and so far I'm pretty impressed...
I am using them in my jarridors and they perform well to keep my sticks perfect.. My buddy uses them to re-season/maintain his humidors and is very pleased with the results.

Reactions: MarinePMI
leaf.jpg

Smoked this yesterday while waiting for a new alternator in a town in the middle of nowhere that happened to have a nice cigar shop on the town square. Very nice cigar.

Last edited:
Local cigar shop closed it doors recently so loaded 2 humidors with boxes of cigars that were 50% off.

Montecristo Espada (Guard & Quillion)
Montecristo Epic #2
Patron Damaso 34 & 12
Montecristo Classic Toro
AF Best Seller

My cup runneth over.

Enjoyed the AF Queen B's a month or so ago...not too shabby for an everyday cigar.