• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Clean AR barrel with no solvents, dry brush only?

Tango24

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2014
This past weekend I saw a demonstration of cleaning an AR in which the instructor said to never use solvents. He dropped the cleaning rod end down through the chamber and pulled on it from the muzzle end. He had a bronze brush attached and did this repeatedly until he proclaimed the bore clean.

I have never heard of "dry" cleaning before. Does any one here avoid solvents, use dry brushes only? Thanks!

If your chrome lined service barrel shoots 3 MOA it'l be a while before you notice any fall off. What he is doing is probably fine. I pull a lightly oiled bore snake through mine a couple of times and call it a day.

How did the instructor avoid rubbing the rod on the crown on the way out the muzzle? I supposed you could "clean" that way, but why would you want to.

OFG

Interesting method of cleaning. The problem I see is the rifling or parts of it may become caked with fouling that can't be undone without solvents. This would make for an interesting test though. A comparison of a dry cleaned barrel vs. a traditional method of cleaning with solvents or oil. I suppose the action, bolt and other gun parts could also be cleaned using the dry clean method, but again, when stuff starts building up in the nooks and cranny's, my assumption is there will be problems.

This is the very first time I have ever heard of this type of cleaning. IMHO, I will stick with the copper and powder solvents.

Not saying it is really a big deal to clean or not especially if you have a vanadium chrome lined barrel, but I think scraping with a brush and not following up with a patch of some variety is asking for problems.

CLP is cheap and so are patches.

I pull the BCG, break down and clean then re-apply Fireclean, clean chamber and logs, then bore snake. When groups fall off, Wipe-out in the barrel and clean patch it out. There are several good cleaning videos around here on the hide. I only use nylon brushes when needed.