• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Clean or not to Clean that is the question?

Re: Clean or not to Clean that is the question?

Yes, they will shove a bullet down a barrel at 3000fps and every time they do, there is wear in the barrel. Every time you fire it there is some wear. Thats one of the reasons a barrel finally wears out. As far as reversing a brush in the barrel, when you do, the ends of the bristles are actually being "jammed" into the barrel. It's said to be a "no no" but how much it hurts the barrel I dont know because I dont do it and never will.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, they will shove a bullet down a barrel at 3000fps and every time they do, there is wear in the barrel. Every time you fire it there is some wear. Thats one of the reasons a barrel finally wears out. As far as reversing a brush in the barrel, when you do, the ends of the bristles are actually being "jammed" into the barrel. It's said to be a "no no" but how much it hurts the barrel I dont know because I dont do it and never will.

okie </div></div>

A barrel does not "wear out" it burns out. Yes the throat could move so much that you couldn't seat a bullet safely anymore but a simply chamber moving could fix that problem. But you cannot ruin a barrel by just simply wearing the metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been discussed but many posts have been pruned in the meantime.

The one example we like to cite is regarding two different Former Marines.

Marine number one, goes out buys an M40 clone, specs it out top to bottom and really digs his new rifle. He cleans it religiously, about every 4o rounds or so. Front to back, spic and span. He gets about 4000 rounds of 308 through the gun and suddenly the barrel is shot out. (true story by the way) Gone, new barrel time.

The second former Marine barely touches the bore. Doesn't clean it for shit, two separate rifles in fact are what some in the gun community would call neglected. Very un-Marine like behavior, cleaning the barrel only when absolutely necessary in some cases, as many as 1000 rounds go down the tube before cleaning. His one rifle is still shooting 1/2" to 3/4" minute after 10,000+ rounds, the other rifle just went in for rebarreling, with in excess of 15,000+ rounds down the tube. So, using these example, where is the harm in not cleaning it.

In fact it has been said more good rifles have been ruined by over cleaning than over shooting.

Now, if you are a light shooter, cleaning is fine providing you're not trying to scrub the metal out. (Which many mistake for carbon) But if you're a frequent shooter, not touching the bore for 500 rounds is fine too.

I advocate under-cleaning, I keep the action in working order, clean out the chamber but just barely touch the bore. Maybe a bore snake every 200, with a real cleaning every 600 to 800... that is my routine. But you're welcome to do what ever makes you happy. </div></div>

I agree with everything you said until you had to mention the Boresnake. Those are the worst invention in gun cleaning Ever in my opinion! They are seldom the right bore size and most of the time larger ( haed a .308 that the wire brush made in the cloth was .314 ) NO you know that take precious metal out in the grooves of these $500 barrels we buy and has to mess up accuracy esp. long range and leaves burrs inside the rifling. just my opinions! I'M not trying to upset anyone.

I just checked the log book. It's been 564 rounds since I last cleaned the bore on my .308

It's a factory SPS-V action and will still drop the second shot right on top of the cold bore. THAT is why I don't clean it. I will probably give is a good cleaning after the next range trip.

Don't get me wrong. It gets wiped down and lubed after EVERY shooting session and gets inspected daily during dry firing. It is NOT neglected. I just don't feel the need to scrub the accuracy out of it.

Your right, the throat is always what goes first. I disagree with you that a bullet dosnt creat ware on the lands and groves of a barrel, I've seen barrels with them almost completely gone. I'll admit though the throat was completely gone too. You kinda got me with a play on words there. I realize that friction is what causes wear in the barrel which is actually heat so yes, it is also burning out. Nonetheless, a bullet does wear on a barrel and like I said, it is "one" of the reasons a barrel wears (or burns) out.

okie

I think he was referring to the hot gas burning out the barrel.

I clean mine after a days shooting. It allows me to go to my garage, tune in the radio and tune out the old lady, have a few beers, and caress my beloved rifles : ).