• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cleaning a old barrel with SS Rod, Vinger, and electricity...

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with cleaning an old C&R barrel using this method?
Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner
Basically stick a SS rod through the bore, use rubber washers to create a water tight seal while not letting the rod ground out with the bore, fill with an ammonia & vinegar solution, apply electricity and let it do it's magic for 45 minutes. Was thinking about trying this on my mosin but it seems like a pretty harsh way to clean a barrel.

Thoughts?

beware:for sure,anything touched by a drop/spill of this solution will have his bluing ruined ... and rust_

You know those nice engraved barrel markings that are applied by custom riflesmiths? A lot of them are done using an electrochemical engraving process, which is very similar to this "cleaning" process you described. Just something to keep in mind before trying this...

Ah thank you cal50, that was definitely a lot more helpful. I may just rig something up to run at about ~1/4V instead of using the fashlight, I would hate to etch the inside of the barrel. I have another mosin I'll probably try it on first since the bore in this mosin is already pretty nice, if I'm not pleased with the results I'll probably just run some hot water down the bore and then foaming bore cleaner/a ton of patches.

One tip a guy at the range gave me- soak the barrel in penetrating oil for a day or two...

You should have seen the crud that came out of my savage barrel...