• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cleaning Handguns?

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
How often do you clean your handguns? I've heard of people who fire 5, 10, 15, 30k rounds through their guns without so much as a lube job. I field strip mine, scrub the barrel, wipe down the interior, and apply oil (as needed) every time I take mine out to shoot. Am I doing it wrong? I usually clean my shotgun about every 4 or 5 hundred rounds, but I'm very meticulous with my handgun. I want to make sure it's functioning, free and clear, every time I pull the trigger. BTW, I usually shoot around 50rds every 2 weeks through my carry gun, and around 100 every month and a half through my "dresser gun" just to make sure it feels loved.
So, my questions - am I "over-cleaning," how often do you clean your gun, and why?

Re: Cleaning Handguns?

I don't buy into any gun going 10,000 rounds without cleaning and lube let alone
30,000. Ask them for their ammo or primer buying receipts for the last 2 years. And
I don't think you can over clean anything but the barrel unless you make a habit of
dismantling the poor thing like people spin and slap revolver cylinders.

My competition GLock 35 in 40 S&W has had at least 3-4K through it without even a hint of cleaning. When you clean it (or any gun, for that matter), it does take some fouler shots to get it shooting back to point of aim/point of impact (POA/POI). So, for my handguns, as long as they keep running well, I keep shooting them.
I will say I see rifles cleaned a lot more than handguns. Rifles need to have a few rounds down the barrel after cleaning to make sure it is still shooting true and to POA/POI. A lot of hunters wonder why they can't make the first shot on a deer when they just cleaned the heck out of their rifle that had oil inside the barrel. My .02.

I don't think you're over cleaning at all. I think a lot of gun owners neglect their guns.

If you are a good enough pistol shooter to claim that fouling shots change your point of impact, more power to you. The fact is that a handgun is a defensive tool and should be cleaned regularly.

Who would carry a dirty gun?

That's one of my points as well - someone said something about dirty guns on here that made me think carefully about carrying one around. Someone made the comment that if they're ever at the scene of a shooting and have a clean gun, that would go a long way toward showing that they didn't have anything to do with what went on. I realize a clean gun isn't an innocence pass, but if you're ever in that situation and don't use your weapon, and it's been cleaned since you shot it last, it stands to reason that your clean gun would only work in your favor.

I clean the 1911's pretty religiously. Guns like Glocks, not so much. I wish I were better about cleaning all of them, but there are too many.

Try a test- Take 10 rounds in a pistol and shoot it to foul it out. Now, from 25 yards (or 50 for that matter), shoot a good 10 shot group. Now clean the gun thoroughly, and shoot another 10 shot group. Then tell me which one is better. You will see the difference.
I think dirty may depend on what "you" call dirty. When shooting a clean burning powder and jacketed bullets, there's not much dirt to it. A little oil on the slide here and there abviously won't hurt. But several handguns that I have owned or own do not run as well from a fresh cleaning. Especially if oil is applied inside the barrel, you can not control exactly where that first round will go. From 3 feet, it won't matter. From 25+ yards, it will. It takes several rounds to get the barrel fouled and shooting spot on again.
I am of the opinion people over clean their guns. I get in guns that are sopping with oil. A slight coat on the outside is good, and maybe a little in the barrel if being stored. But always patch out the old oil first before shooting it.

I cleaned my glocks when I got them since both were used and I wanted to inspect them thoroughly before firing. The barrel on my G29 had a lot of lead fouling in it from the previous owner shooting regular lead. Once of the reasons he got rid of it (his loss...)

I haven't cleaned them since, the G20 has 1000 rounds through it already.

My Ruger 22/45 gets cleaned about every third brick or so, when it starts repeatedly FTF more than when I run into a dud from the cheap 22 ammo. That tends to take about 14-1500 rounds.

My Handgun is my life. It gets cleaned and inspected after each firing. It also gets broken down, dried and lubed if it rains on me.

It's a Glock so it can take a lot of abuse, but I am not going to rely on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Handgun is my life. It gets cleaned and inspected after each firing. It also gets broken down, dried and lubed if it rains on me.

It's a Glock so it can take a lot of abuse, but I am not going to rely on that.

</div></div>

I clean after every range session. I do not "scrub" as I think the Army teaches some destructive cleaning techniques, but do disassenble, wipe off the soot, patch the barrel and put a new drop of gun butter where needed. I agree that some folks over clean, but just like my horse, I may not ride him everyday, but I take a good look at him and make sure hes is ready when I need him.