• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision clip on in front of a spotting scope

the M151 - ish platform probably offers the most flexibility in mounting solutions. Badger Ord has several SLICK options and well as a SNAP option.

The SLICKs allow mounting clipons in front and RAPTARs or Radiae on top.

The SNAPs allow mounting 14 on the rear of the eye piece.

==
If mounting thermal clipon in front, probably should get a UTCxii as those will support clearest image at 12x plus

Last edited:
I thought you had already seen this setup at a previous course.
Running 2 of these setups for classes. One with a 30 and another with a 27.
Only change made in a couple of years is I ditched the Badger pic mount adapter and pistol grip ball head for a RRS Anvil to be more rigid over the tripod.

If you are using your setup for other than recreational purposes, I would recommend mounting the spotter (If your spotter is the folded prism design like mine) inverted. This keeps your noggin more out of line with objective glass if anything were to fly your way.

20181005_233953.jpg

20181005_234106.jpg

Using a SNAP on the back with a PVS-14 does "okay" but you can forget being able to resolve any reticle you may have in your spotter.

FWIW.....If you are using ONLY for observing, I have found an older PVS-7 allows for longer viewing time with less fatigue due to being able to use both eyes.

Be safe jackinfl.

./

How do the clip ons compare in this role? PVS-27, PVS-30, etc or is it mostly down to the specific unit. I have never looked through a 27 to compare to my 30 but considering another clip on for this role and as a rifle backup but not sure if one is better suited for this task.

I have both a 27 and 30 that is used in front of spotters. We have on several occasions looked through both side by side at some paper targets with Geo Shapes, Letters and Numbers. This target is used along with a KIMS type drill in my classes to reinforce how important focus and tweaking is to each distance. My particular 27 and 30 are very, very close to equal as far as resolution with and without augmented illumination.

If you are considering a 27, just make sure that whatever mount system you use to slave the NV to the spotter will allow your PEQ or MAWL or whatever to get past the big CAT lens.

./

Reactions: j-huskey
How do the clip ons compare in this role? PVS-27, PVS-30, etc or is it mostly down to the specific unit. I have never looked through a 27 to compare to my 30 but considering another clip on for this role and as a rifle backup but not sure if one is better suited for this task.

So much depends..... my 27 might not be as good as your 27 and your 30 could be equal to TC's 27, real close to say your 27, and if you tried mine, you would never buy a 27.

We never know until we put them on line and look.
I have seen a couple of 22's that had different focus points where they stopped focusing. Both were good at 400, one was still sharp at 600, but bad boy stopped at 450....

We never know sometimes.

Terry, j-huskey & King, thank you for the responses. I have not considered the lens size but I will certainly keep that in mind. I do not have a laser/illuminator currently other than my elir3 but will keep that is an excellent point.

My PVS-30 is one of the refurbs, FOM a little above 2000 and I am very happy with it. To anyone that has the 27s, were they part of the recent stock that have come up for sale recently in the ~$3500 dollar range? I see some listed as never issued, and saving $1500 to put towards a laser/illuminator would be awesome but if the chance of a better unit from a 30 is greater I will go that route.

The King, as mentioned by Terry, can you mount/clear a laser/illum on the Optics Hub with your 27? I think the hub has a larger footprint compared to the M151 specific mounts so if any would clear the 27s objective I think the hub would certainly be one of them.

Agreed. I had two KN203 simrad units and one was MUCH better.

Same thing with our PvS-27 fleet. Some are much better.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I cannot foresee a way to mount the 27 that wouldn’t clear the laser.

The optics hub is enough larger in every dimension that it effectively clears the 27s airspace for you.

Awesome, thanks. I have other spotters that I could use with the Optics Hub, but they are all higher power on the low end compared to the Leupold M151 though so not ideal. It would let me get into the night spotting game for now until I get the setup/second clip on.

10-4, I noticed that after looking at what mounts KDG sold for NV (none currently). Your type of setup would be good for mounting a rifle scope and NV to a tripod as well for shorter range night vision stuff. I live in Maryland currently and cant shoot in the area I am in, but I can still get out and play with NV/Spotters to practice with the gear and spotting animals/maybe get into night photos.

I thought you had already seen this setup at a previous course.
Running 2 of these setups for classes. One with a 30 and another with a 27.
Only change made in a couple of years is I ditched the Badger pic mount adapter and pistol grip ball head for a RRS Anvil to be more rigid over the tripod.

If you are using your setup for other than recreational purposes, I would recommend mounting the spotter (If your spotter is the folded prism design like mine) inverted. This keeps your noggin more out of line with objective glass if anything were to fly your way.

View attachment 7256209

Using a SNAP on the back with a PVS-14 does "okay" but you can forget being able to resolve any reticle you may have in your spotter.

FWIW.....If you are using ONLY for observing, I have found an older PVS-7 allows for longer viewing time with less fatigue due to being able to use both eyes.

Be safe jackinfl.

./

Damn, that is perfect. I want! Nice setup.