• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

CMP USMC M40 with scope!!!!

Re: CMP USMC M40 with scope!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed the sling date: MRT 1977 </div></div>

I have two of the same MRT '77 slings ..now I need two M40's for them LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pinmaster, I think a call to CMP could clear some matters up, perhaps the rifle was donated to them. I am pretty sure at least two of the rifles were donated to Shooting team members. </div></div>

Thanks I may get my father to contact them if he goes higer with his bidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pinmaster, I think a call to CMP could clear some matters up, perhaps the rifle was donated to them. I am pretty sure at least two of the rifles were donated to Shooting team members. </div></div>

I don't know how much help that would be. From the CMP Forum "Ask Orest" section, about this rifle.

"CMP does not have any paper trail. All we can tell you is that we received a rifle from the Army. USMC transfers rifles to the Army before we get them.

We do not have any history on any rifle prior to our receiving it."

Read that info last night on CMP forums. Was going to post the info but now I don't have to!
smile.gif

I just read those posts on CMP and added my own, really have to believe 100% that its a USMC presentation rifle, everything on this rifle, the rifle sold by Rock Island and the rifle pictured in Senich's book are exactly the same. I do think the purpose of these rifles was to be a represntation of the USMC M40, since these rifles were awards, they in my opinion had a much nicer stock than standard M40's. I think the bases and scope were marked with the last four of the serial number to also give the rifle that original M40 look.

The posts about this being an Air Force rifle have turned me around a little. I was not aware that the USAF ever had any M40 rifles. If anyone has detailed info on USAF M40 history, in addition to what sinister posted, I would appreciate it.

I believe the post by XARMOR is a reference to this thread over on jouster. (Post #16) The gentleman there is a little vague when describing how he has access to the DOD central registry. In fairness to him, even he says this.

After reading that thread and this one, I am inclined to agree with mjh and SDWhirlwind. Gentlemen, thank you for your posts. They are informative and even include sources. I appreciate that. Thanks again.

Sadly, I did not win the lottery last night but have a ticket for Saturday. I will keep my fingers crossed. I originally thought that this rifle would go for $8,500 to $9,000. I have already been proven wrong with 10 days to go.

If, <span style="font-weight: bold">big if</span>, I win the lottery, I plan on snatching this rifle up. The intention being to raffle it off so us normal folk could afford a chance to have it with ALL of the proceeds going to either American Snipers, Wounded Warriors or another worthy cause. Please pray that I win the lottery Saturday!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">XARMOR, its one of the USMC M40 presentation rifles, one recently sold at Rock Island in Sept for $14950, this is one of four or fives rifles put together and awarded to members of the USMC rifle team, circa 1980. The rifle is a USMC M40 original, theres an exact copy in Senichs, One Round War, page 262. This rifle is also an exact copy of the rifle sold by Rock Island, serial # for the rifle pictured in Senichs book is 6257207, serial # of the rifle sold by Rock Island was 6257284. Senich quotes 6257276as the serial # of another one of these rifles and I believe 6257227 may have been the other. </div></div>

I am not trying to start anything, but why would a put together rifle that never saw combat be so important? Who put it together? Wouldn't this still be considered a replica if it was not assembled by Remington and delivered to the Corps? Maybe I am misinterpreting what is being said here, please correct me if I am.

Marine Corps trophy rifles generally came/come from the Secretary of the Navy's stocks of Remington 721s. I know AMU SFC (retired) Lance Hopper won one at Quantico as the Interservice Individual Champion.

If it's a Marine M40 then it was one of the standard rifles shipped before Weapons Training Battalion did the A1 mod (the modern McMillan HTR smeared stock and McMillan/Bill Wiseman heavy barrels). It would truly be worth a LOT if original and in good shape. Chuck Mawhinney's rifle is in the Marine Corps Museum. Either Senich or the Chandlers had serial number ranges. Cover photo on Senich's book:

44422467.JPG

From Senich's <span style="font-weight: bold">The One-Round War</span>:
2mm9xxz.jpg

The Air Force used the wood-stocked factory M40 as an Air Base Ground Defense (ABGD) weapon for Vietnam and Thailand to give security forces a little extra reach covering flight lines from sapper attacks (I can't cite the exact place I remember this from but it was a RAND study on ground attacks on Southeast Asia/Vietnam air bases). The Air Force did not technically have snipers, and currently has a (politically-correct named) Close Precision Engagement Course to train the M24.

afa_mom-albums-posted-pictures-picture154-sniper.gif

why do these things go for so much money? would it be a good investment if i paid 15,000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Air Force used the wood-stocked factory M40 as an Air Base Ground Defense (ABGD) weapon for Vietnam and Thailand to give security forces a little extra reach covering flight lines from sapper attacks (I can't cite the exact place I remember this from but it was a RAND study on ground attacks on Southeast Asia/Vietnam air bases). The Air Force did not technically have snipers, and currently has a (politically-correct named) Close Precision Engagement Course to train the M24.
</div></div>

Sorry for the partial quote, not meant to be taken out of context. Thank you for the information Sir. I never knew that. I need to pick up a copy of "The One Round War" by Mr. Senich. By the way, the earrings and lip gloss made my laugh pretty loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not trying to start anything, but why would a put together rifle that never saw combat be so important? Who put it together? Wouldn't this still be considered a replica if it was not assembled by Remington and delivered to the Corps? Maybe I am misinterpreting what is being said here, please correct me if I am.
</div></div>

I don't believe that anyone thinks you are trying to start something. There is a difference of opinion as to the provenance of this rifle. That is fair and valid. I am not 100% certain as to its history either. I do tend to believe that it is a USMC M40 presentation rifle. No matter what branch is was with, it is a real, numbers matching M40 from the DOD (USMC or USAF) available from the CMP to the public. Hence the interest and the price.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the only way anyone will be 100% sure of the history of this rifle is after a successfully completed FOIA request as discussed over on the CMP Forum.

I could be wrong. It has been known to happen from time to time.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Air Force used the wood-stocked factory M40 as an Air Base Ground Defense (ABGD) weapon for Vietnam and Thailand to give security forces a little extra reach covering flight lines from sapper attacks (I can't cite the exact place I remember this from but it was a RAND study on ground attacks on Southeast Asia/Vietnam air bases). </div></div>

This is the report you seek, young Jedi:

Snakes in the Eagle's Nest: A History of Ground Attacks on Air Bases, by Alan Vick, MR-553-AF, 1995

RAND research brief: http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB22/index1.html

Full copy available for purchase at:
http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR553/

XARMOR, probably didn't explain myself correctly, the rifle is a USMC M40, did it see combat? who knows probably not judging by the barreled action condition, but it may have been refinished. I was under the impression that the rifles were put together by the RTE shop for the purpose of being awarded to members of the USMC shooting team. I think the particular markings on the base and scope are indicative of what the purpose of the rifle was, to be a representation of a Vietnam era M40. If it was just the rifle without scope, I think many folks would look at it in a different light.
marty

Hey gents, the M40's up to over $12k with 6 days to go. Methinks this will break the $15k mark.

Up to $13,500 with plenty of time to go. CMPUser8029 is really going after it.

Pinmaster, if your dad wins, will he adopt me?

bcw1284 and sinister, I think this is the PDF of the Rand brief you mention. I glanced through it the other day but did not see a reference to the M40 at all. I will have to go back and really read it when I get more time.

This turned out to be a lot more informative than I had originally thought. Thanks to everyone.

I still have not won the lottery.

My new guess is $18,000. I wonder how long it will take to be proven wrong again. Who said the economy was in bad shape?
wink.gif

My very limited auction experience tells me that there's a couple heavy hitters that have yet to step up to the plate.

They haven't even started bidding yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya can have mine for 2000 , with 2 , Redfield scopes .

</div></div>

There is a redfield scope just like that (I think) down at the gunshop for $59.

What's the model on it? I may be heading to the gunshop tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keyser_soze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pinmaster, if your dad wins, will he adopt me?

</div></div>

LOL Dad is out for now... However, if he does win I will swap it out for my clone (his eyes are going bad) and I will let you come visit it LOL.

At least its not getting demill'd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetailnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arcticlight

Judging by the top turret I believe the one on kidglock's rifle is a accu-trac and not the accu-range that brings the higher prices.

Look here for more info M40 Original scope question </div></div>

I always mix the 2 up , Yes a Trac is mine !!! Thanks Nut !!!

Two and a half hours left, and the rifle just broke $15k. Sweet ass stick, but WAY too rich for my blood.

$31,300 and still going. This is more entertaining than I thought. Just goes to show you, the economy doesn't suck for everybody.

Seriously, that's a lot of coin for a rifle. $36,100 as of right now, and the auction just keeps going.

Now $36,100. and past it's original close. Every new bid adds ten minutes to the clock. I wonder how long it will go on?

Is my computer screwy, or did anyone else see it go from 1 min left to 10 min left?

Edit: Just looked up. I didn't know about that rule. Interesting way to keep away the last second bidders.

Holy moly!!! $36,300?!?

Talk about inflating for collector's value!

Makes me wonder how much the real M40A1 with smear stock and "USMC Sniper" marked Unertl that got auctioned off earlier this year went for.

OK, fess up. Whom is going to be the new owner and give it a good home?

That price seems reasonable considering the rifle is a museum piece. Congrats to the happy owner.

Having actually held a restored USMC M40 with the original Redfield that had seen service in Vietnam, I cannot fathom why someone would pay that much for a reproduction.

There is only one or two that I feel would be worth that much, but they would have to come with provenance showing who they were issued to.

I guess I can be very satisfied with my M40A1 clone when it's done.

Is it a reproduction? I wondered because it looks like it has the wrong shroud on the back of the bolt. The "original" M40's I've seen had a "short" shroud. That one definitely looks to have the later "long" shroud. I am by no means an expert on this particular rifle but that seems odd to me.

I'm sure it's "right"... There's too much documented history on it for it to be wrong but who knows. You'd be surprised at some of the "Fake" '57 Strats or '59 Flame-top Les Pauls that make it through years and years of "Experts" authenticating them and then the guy who actually built them coming along and proving them wrong... Just sayin'

I know one thing, whoever is paying $36k for it might bs disappointed...

Wow I cant understand that much, its not like it was an "Army" rifle or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tat2steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shill bidding. </div></div>

CMP shilling? I could see it if it was a private seller, but CMP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow I cant understand that much, its not like it was an "Army" rifle or something. </div></div>
Hey now!...... Careful...