• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coffee Thermos

The Gump

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
The Edge Of Anarchy
So my douch bag CEO has implemented a policy of "no coffee pots on the shop floor" and has had coffee vending machines that produce coffee that tastes like crayons and pencil shavings installed as their replacement.

As a result I am going to have to bring my coffee to work in a thermos. I have never had one. What brand and model is going to best suit my purpose?

Here are my requirements:
-Needs to hold at least a 12 cup pot. More would be better.
-Needs to be rugged. I'm rough on stuff and I don't want the cap or any other parts to break over time.
-Needs to keep my gourmet roast hot for 6+ hours. I work 10 hour days.

Thank,
Disenfranchised Coffee Drinker

Re: Coffee Thermos

Very interested in this question. I've been looking for the same for a while and the best I can find is eight cups.

Can you get an electric kettle and use a french press? technically you're just heating up water, and the coffee mixing process takes place elsewhere...

I got a Stanley I've been using for a few years now. Only will hold ~9 cups, I think you'll have a hard time finding one that will hold a full 12. Seems pretty rugged- it gets thrown around on equipment daily and still perfectly fine. Keeps coffee hot all day (I also pull 10-12 hour days) Some advice though- Fill it with hot water and close it up for half an hour before you put your coffee in it- That will pre-heat the inside of the thermos before you put your coffee in, and keep your coffee hotter longer.

*Edit* ^ That one posted above, but mine says 1.4qt on the bottom, and is all brushed stainless, not green.

Pretty tall order, that.....

Sorta sounds like you need a new boss to work for instead.

Hell, my company bought us refrigerators, microwaves, really nice varnished picnic tables, potted plants/trees.....and coffee pots.

Really nice break area....and that's in middle of the welding shop floor.

That was my first thought but the policy prohibits any and all appliances. This guy is a MAJOR douch.

He was hired to make the company more competitive. Most of what he has done I agree with but this shit has gone way too far.

It is this very policy that has prompted me to devise and implement my exit strategy. I have worked for the same company for damm near 11 years. This really pisses me off. I know in this economy it sounds really petty but this is a bit control freakish.

In the 14+ years the plant has been operating there has not been one safety incident with any appliance all of which have been furnished by the workforce.

Piss on this dick bag!

I needed a thremos to bring hot water to the range to pour down my rifle barrel after shooting corrosive.

Based on having previously owning Thermos Brand and seeing my wife go through a bunch of crap different brands trying to find something to hold the kids milk in I went to Thermos for my rifle cleaning needs. Unfortunate that they are made in China now.

I preheat the Thermos/Nissan and 8 hours later my rifle cleaning water will still be scalding hot.

I have been using the same Stanley for over 8 years now. Goes to work and hunting with me constantly. May be a bit small for your needs though. I find I can get a whole pot in my thermos and mug before I leave the house.

Maybe the plug on those vending machines is loose and just won't stay plugged in...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe the plug on those vending machines is loose and just won't stay plugged in...? </div></div>

HA!

The last job I quit was because they "cut my position", made me take a lesser paying one or leave, and put me on some really fucked up hours....just so they could get a family member on the payroll who couldn't keep a job anywhere else. I left as fast as it took to find another job. Fuck 'em, I won't work for a douchebag...a damn prick maybe, but not a douche bag. This new gig is the cat's ass, pay is good, morale is high, the future appears to be bright, and production rocks.

Sorry, I can't help with the thermos problem, I don't drink much coffee, but I do have an old Thermos brand that has always worked for me when I needed it. Find a new job is what I'd do...this one can't go any where good with that guy in charge, it's bound to get worse. Sometimes the most petty things tell the biggest story in the long run.

Stanley, Get two if you want more capacity. Or what I do is get a insulated SS cup that holds the rest and drink that first, that covers an hour or so. You can also heat up the rest of whats in the cup with the coffe in the thermos. They work just like a Glock. They are fairly easy to carry and I have had very warm coffe the next day as long as its not too cold out.

Reloading the java for work in about an hour. MMMMMMMMMMMM

+1 for a Kleen Canteen , I ve been using one of their insulated 12oz bottles for a few months in Afghanistan, It's good to go!

12 cups a day! You go through some major coffee.

Stanley makes a 2 qt. thermos that is'nt much more and is also on Amazon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12 cups a day! You go through some major coffee. </div></div>

Ya. It's probably not so good for me. That could be why the Dick Bag is making it harder to make it. Part of the health and wellness program...

Two days out of the week I go to class straight from work. I'll be awake from 4a-11p. Working on an assembly line is pretty demanding not to mention monotonous and mind numbing. Not as much as some jobs but demanding enough.

The douch nozzle also made in ear listening device against company policy too so now I can't keep my brain busy with Murray N. Ruthbard either. Instead I am forced to listen to the degenerate crap that is spewed throughout the plant via the overhead radio. Some of the most memorable tunes coming from Kid Cock and his white trash pose and the quasi date rape country songs that have to do with getting country bumkins drunk on moonshine and having a "Redneck Rodeo".

I digress..

I asked about this same question a year ago or so. I ended up buying the Thermos Thermax Maximum Insulation model.

It'll hold almost 14 cups and will keep your coffee hot all day long.

I love mine.

I don't use the cup/lid that comes with the Thermax to drink the coffee from. I have a vacuum insulated Thermos mug with a push button sealing type top. It'll keep the coffee hot till you drink it all, so no more cold coffee half way through a cup

The best brands ive used were Thermos and Stanley. Not many will hold 12+ cups. Might be better to get 2 seperate ones? Once the coffee in a 12+ cup thermos get about to the last 1/3 i cant see it staying warm for very long. just my 2c

Bubba Keg they make a 52 and 72 oz. I use one they are not hard to find and are a good buy for the cost they are not expensive.

I've not used a thermos for years after I dropped my Hot Wheels glass lined one. I got a Stanley thermos years ago and always kept my coffee hot. How hot do you like your coffee? I use Nalgene water bottles with a Outdoor Research insulated pouch and it works fairly well. The pouch is made for the 32 oz. ones but that's not 9 cups. I love Nalgene bottles and they are tough and inexpensive. I only like my coffee fairly warm and not steaming hot. If this might work let me know and I'll fill one up and see how long it keeps it hot.

JetBoil stove and Starbucks Via.

It gets no better. My coffee has to be boiling-hot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JetBoil stove and Starbucks Via.

It gets no better. My coffee has to be boiling-hot! </div></div>

Even at about $1 a pack it is well worth it. I'm more of a hot tap water and instant Mexican Nescafe Clasico kinda guy. I think I remember a article in the Marine Corps Gazette about making hot coffee with a Jetboil and Nalgene water bottle. Just wanted to mention that because the plastic can stand hot water and is BPA free.

I was at WalMart the other day and noticed the Stanley's were all made in Ching Chong. I don't know if that is unique to China Mart, but I ended up not buying one for that reason. They definitely weren't up to par with the old USA made stuff.

It is interesting that old man Walton got wealthy by selling "Made in America." If it wasnt made in America, he wouldnt sell it.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anything other than (some) food, and ammo, made in America at a Walmart today.

This is the thermos that I used when I was in the same position that you were in and it worked great for many years. Get it with a stainless tumbler and you should be good to go. Holds enough coffee for a full 12 cup pot with enough room left over for two more cups.
Vacuum Insulated 61 oz Beverage Bottle
Unfortunately they discontinued the tumbler that I still use to this day and really like, that is why I bought two of them but this is close to the one that I have and unless you need one that has to fit in really small car cup holders (I have a truck) then this one should be more than suitable for your needs.
Vacuum Insulated 16 oz Travel Mug with Carabiner Carry Loop