• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

College For The Kids

Simply put by an old timer I work with- "Life is a shit sandwich. The more bread you have the less shit you taste."

Have an honest conversation with them about money and what kind lifestyle they expect to have.

I have 529 plans for my kids. That's all they will get, anything else is on them.

Any kid knowing what they want to do at a young age is great
some kids know (or even think) they want to do a trade school
some want to join the military
some want to work in an "office" (this includes lots of inside non physical labor jobs)
some want to freeload and be part of the free shit army (just kick them out)

and many kids have no idea what they want to do - I think this is large percentage of kids that are 18-21

From what I see in the office world these days, your resume is trashed before it ever reaches a hiring manager if there is no degree on it (sure you can beat that by knowing someone, knowing someone always gets a foot in the door).

By not having a degree, many doors and opportunities in many fields will be closed. That is reality.

Get a degree as cheap as possible, that way you have it (or your kid will have it) and no one can ever take it from you, those doors will always be open. To someone that is 21-22 years old, that is a lifetime of missed opportunity to not have one
(again, is fine if you are confident you want a career without one and don't think you will change your mind)

If your kid graduates HS and is just unsure, go to community college and at least get an AA before you decide. Its cheap and doesn't take long, gives a little more time to grow up and decide what you want in life. Its tough door to open back up 20 years later.

In RE to the OP;

It just depends on who you are and where you want to go. I will say, I have met very few college grads who got a ride from their parents or took out giant loans that are very well educated. Really, to be blunt -- the kids that have been coming out of college for about the last decade have been on a real hard and steady decline, in terms of quality of education and just quality of human beings.

There are some fields you cannot enter without a college education. For example, in the state of Arkansas -- you can no longer take the Bar Exam without meeting degree requirements from an Arkansas Bar Association. Which is a relatively recent change. In times past, one could simply take the Bar Exam. These accredited law schools I am sure require some type of degree for admittance.

Hurdles and red tape, excuses to extort and exclude... I assure you I've met many attorneys that couldn't change the oil in their own car to save their own lives.

Nonetheless, these hurdles do exist. Very similar things can be said for medical practices, teaching, engineering, basically any regulated industry.

So there's a good reason for college if you have aspirations to enter one of these fields.

If your reason for attaining a degree is to make more money -- better make that degree choice wisely. I dated a girl once, ohh 20 years back, who had a degree in microbiology. She worked at a coffee shop. That's a great stepping stone into medical school, vet school, dental, nursing, lots of other careers -- but by itself... still a good degree but it's just not as broadly sought after. These days that type of situation is very common, if not prolific.

I know I'm getting long here so I'll try and be brief; when my son was young I tried to impart a very important lesson. I offered to pay him to clean the attic. He immediately wanted me to make decisions for him. I explained to him that the most important skill you need to develop is decision making. You have to be prepared to be wrong and, be ok with it, and defend it if you disagree. And I challenged him on choices he made.

Your child needs to be educated on, and experience, what their career options are. It's not supposed to be easy, fun, or static.

My son, now 19, first chose to go get ASE certified. His goal was to get certified, get a job, learn the trade and start an off-road/hot-rod shop. By the time he was done he'd decided instead he wanted to weld. So he went and got some training in that -- he never did get to take his final certification tests because of COVID... but he does have a job right now and is pulling $60k a year.

I have two employees that have masters in engineering / technology that don't make much more than that -- and I could easily outsource their jobs.

Me, I would have never suggested welding school for him. Nor would I have thought he'd turn wrenches. When he was growing up I gave him plenty of opportunity to be involved in both and until he was 16 he had interest in neither. That was actually a major turning point, closing this out, again apologies for length -- I know people hate novels; at 16 he had an option to have all A's and I'd pay for his car, gas, and some spending money. He didn't want that, instead he chose to work. So he did. My brother had a Jeep, it'd been sitting long enough that all the tires had rotted flat and the engine had somehow gotten water in it.

My brother sold him that Jeep for $600. Long story short, a few months, a lot of hard work, and damn lot of learning later he drove the Jeep home. I didn't turn a wrench on that Jeep, and to this day have not. He covets that piece of shit like more than life itself, and rightly so -- he earned it through sweat and blood.

Anyway, that's just my view on it. I'm not sure it's a view more than it is to say the child should be educated and make their own choice. As a parent, I see myself much as a shooter. I can aim the rifle but I cannot control the bullet.

On a different but partly related subject, I am also careful to avoid crapping on someone else's idea or dream. Many years back, back in the 90's, my Dad had an idea; he wanted to setup DVD vending machines. I destroyed the idea, tore it apart. Credit cards weren't prolific then, people paid with cash, you'd have disks scratched and ruined, so many reasons. So, he abandoned the idea. A few years later Red Box was everywhere and I felt like a complete piece of shit. To this day I regret stealing that from him. This is related only in that I was very careful not to shit on my sons dream. I would never have agreed with him if he told me he'd be 19 and making $60k, good vacation, good health, dental, 401k, essentially a solid career.

So there's my whole take, I guess.

Get an undergrad degree in something that pays the bills. STEM. Is you have a passion for something like history or art or philosophy... get a graduate degree in it later when your finances are in order and you have a good career. Treat the grad degree as fun and fulfilling. Use the undergrad time to make yourself employable at a high salary.

And do not disregard trades. They are where the job security is now, because DIY had become “do it for me” among 95 percent of the population. Especially the so-called educated classes. Who can’t manipulate a fork.

Sirhr

Reactions: theLBC and Jscb1b
It seems that most people do not undrstand or maybe are not aware of is that college can be free for ANYONE that wants to go.

All colleges post for fulltime employment such as: Office of on Campus Housing, Dining Facilities, Grounds/Maintanance, Financial Aid, Book Store..... the list goes on.

Once you work there for approximately (6) months (University System of Georigia), the institution pays for ALL college under T.A.P (Tuition Assistance Program). My institution paid for (9) hours or 3 full classes every semester. I scheduled the classes around my work.

This program even included my Masters and Doctoral degree.

Maybe this helps some of you stressing out over how to pay for it.