• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colorado shooting at batman premire

Re: Colorado shooting at batman premire

I wonder if Bloomberg is as gung-ho to disarm Israeli citizens as he is about disarming American citizens; I doubt it! Traitor!
mad.gif

Prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
kraigWY said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The NO CCW rule sure didn't prevent the bandit from carrying guns into the theater.

I never pay attention to those signs anyway. Concealed is concealed and (excluding federal buildings 'n such) all they can to if they find out you have a CW is ask you to leave. Which I would.

</div></div>

I don't even bother to look for signs giving or denying permission! With the exception of the listed prohibited places the worst that can happen to you is just that, they can ask you to leave. You have to wonder how different the outcome may have been if CCW were allowed or if an off duty LEO was there.

My thoughts and prayers to all involved in this senseless act of violence. </div></div>

Be careful doing that in TX, it's a Class A Misdemeanor (fine up to $4000 and/or jail up to 1 year) if you carry in a place where it is posted prohibited.

Now back on subject. This is a horrible tragedy and my prayers go out to the families. </div></div>

In Texas only a 30.06 sign or 51% in drinking establishment can stop carry other than the obvious government buildings.

This is a horrible tragedy, prayers to everyone effect by this event.
</div></div>

That would be how businesses post it, sorry I didn't go into enough detail.
I'm still not sure that I think just your average Concealed Carrier could have done much in this situation. I know everyone here can shoot the wings off a fly at 1000 with a .380(just kidding this is the internet after all). However I've watched quite a few people shoot/qualify that are licensed to carry concealed that couldn't shoot very well in broad daylight at the range. Now you add in the stress that the theater is dark, tear gas/smoke, people are screaming, he's wearing body armor, and he's shooting a long gun, I would bet that 90%+ of CCW holders could not make that shot and just end up getting them self or a loved one killed. Now I know that I am going to get flamed for this but just looking at things logically. I carry everywhere I go because I am LE, and yes I would have done whatever I could to stop him AFTER I made sure that my family was safe. Personally my family comes first.

This hits close. My youngest son was watching that movie at that time; but thankfully in a different Denver area theater. My older son was stationed in Aurora at Buckley AFB. He does not yet know if the reported four service personnel killed were anyone he knew. My prayers for them all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HERES THE FUCKED UP THING!!!!!

Yahoo News,

"A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.
She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.
"You have the right person," she said.
"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."

STOP FUCKING CODLING YOUR CHILDREN YOU EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY AND CAN DO NO HARM IF YOU NEVER HAVE ANY DISCIPLINE AS A CHILD PARENTS! YOUR THE REASON FOR THE LACK OF HARD WORK AND PIECES OF SHIT THAT PISS ALL OVER THIS NATION. GROW SOME BALLS AND MAN UP FOR CHRIST SAKE LOOK WHAT YOUR DOING TO EVERYONE ELSE.</div></div>

I know, curbstomp the fucking squirt and get it over with already!

Or maybe he needed a few more hugs, how about that? My dad was all beatings and discipline. Sadistic beatings, I couldn't go to school for two weeks once because he was afraid he'd get locked up, where he belonged. And this was in the early '80's when people didn't give a shit about a few bruises and scars.

Were it not for the divorce and me ending up with my grandmother who raised me during the all important coming of age years, I could see myself having wound up like the douche that did this crime. See, I had so much discipline that I had no room for love, empathy, sympathy, you know, the stuff that not only gets you laid, but makes you a decent person to be around? Yeah, well, my grandmother single handedly unfucked what my father fucked up. Sure, my father got me into shooting at an early age and we had some good times, but were it not for her, I'd likely have ended up dead or in prison myself, turning all those years of discipline, angst and shooting skills, into one singular act of violence.

People say this country is "going down the tubes" all the time. They always have. I think every generation says that for different reasons, but what I AM noticing that isn't really up for discussion, is that we are, the nation as a whole, becoming more shallow (emotionally, logically, artistically, etc.) and more negative with each passing day. Our art and music sucks, our kids are stupid (but think they are brilliant compared to the rest of the world, no shit) we don't care about helping one another, our democracy is yielding to totalitarianism and we are extremely selfish. And if you happen to be have-not, well, shit is just even worse for you.

No wonder people are snapping. They feel backed in corner with no way out, they are watching the American Dream turn into an American Nightmare, ie, the country they were born in and taught to love is becoming something else, and some of these people shoulder a heavier burden than the rest of us, either perceived or real... how else could you perpetrate a crime such as this? Unless you are truly mentally unstable?

I think the answer is less discipline and just more care. These people don't need a "diet" from life, they need a more fulfilling life, whatever that is for them. If you have an estranged family member or a lonely friend, perhaps you should try and make it a point to spend more quality time with them. Don't try to "help" them, just have a good time. The good times are what we all live for, and well, if you aren't expecting any, then you may feel like you have nothing to lose. That young man obviously wasn't expecting any good times in the near future, no trips with his buddies, probably no girlfriend, you get the picture.

How about this weekend you dig up that funny friend or relative, the weird one you don't talk to much, and you two go on a hike or whatever and have a good time? Hell, who knows? You may change the world.

My heart goes out to those people in Colorado, they surely didn't deserve that. </div></div>

I admire your ability feel compassion for troubled people. Along with the ability to not only share your troubles, and learn from them, but I think there has to be an understanding. First I have to say that I'm not trying to dissuade you from helping others, but inform you in hopes you make better decisions in the futur.
I'm not going into big detail about clinical terms like depression, bi-polar, schizoid, paranoid, or AsPD behaviors. So I'll keep it grossly simple and refer to them as troubled, and manipulative. A person who is depressed or troubled (whatever) is totally capable of being helped. Sometimes its a little compassion that changes their whole outlook on life. I agree that you can aid them in coping with their troubles, or simply showing them a good time.
However a person who is manipulative could suffer from any of the issues above. Make no mistake they can not be helped. Their view on life is people are weak, and the ends justifies the means. Their sole concern is their ideology, views, gain, and well being. These kinds of people are the ones you see who are career criminals going in and out of the prison system (refered to as Antisocials/sociopathy). If prison doesn't change these people then what are the chances of us making a diffrence? Almost none. Except in the rare instances where they are truely tired of living that lifestle, but only they make the decision.
If you are kind and caring they see you as weak. If you are well off finacially thats because you are greedy. If your a disciplined then they may see you as overbearing and strict. Point being their views are the only thing that matters. Again this a very broad generlization, and I advise people to do their own research.

As for the shooting. Sad state of affairs that these things happen. I'm not a praying type so I'll just give my two cents worth. Take this time to see the weaknesses in your training. Learn to adapt to the circumstances. Ask yourself the whatifs. What if you are unarmed and faced an armed opponet? Do you have training in disarming such an opponet? Are you in a seated position of most advantage? You guys know the routine.
As for running or fighting. You run, you either live or you die. You fight, you either live or you die. My thoughts on dieing is that you have no control over it (outside of suicide). So why be afraid? You could die walking away from the computer by slipping on tile, and cracking your head open on a corner. I think how we live should be more important. So go home and love your family. Spend time with your friends. Enjoy your life to the fullest extent possible. Realize that there is nothing to be afraid of.
Remember you have to be the light unto yourself before you can be the light unto others. Good luck fellas. Stay safe, or more importantly don't take things for granted, and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just heard that the shooter was wearing body armor which makes me wonder if it would have been a better idea to try to just get myself and family out with or without suppressing fire.

With a full-size handgun it would still have been hard to go against a guy already shooting, in a cloud of tear gas who had a long-gun. With the little .380 I often carry to places where I want to REALLY be concealed, I would not have been confident in a precise shot beyond seven yards, especially in those conditions.</div></div>
I actually just got done with a discussion about this point. (I was discussing, the other guy was arguing haha) I'm with you, run away. Granted, there's too many variables for us to "what if", where you were in the theater, where he was, etc, fleeing might not have been a valid option. I'm fairly certain though that I would NOT have been able to make that shot under those conditions (Not that my j-frame would have done shit to him even if I did make it). Time to Forrest Gump it the hell outta there.

Makes me think of the opening scene from 'Lethal Weapon 4'... have somebody run a distraction route in their underwear so you can take your time for the face shot! </div></div>

Yeah, like I said when you hear of this you always think how would I deal with this and do a mini contingincy plan in your head. I always try to look at shooting lanes, exists etc, especially when I'm carrying and in a crowded place like the mall or theatre. I think my number 1 priorty would be keeping my family safe and it would have to be a fast decision if that meant shooting or getting them out discreetly first. Obviously if a gunman has an AR and I start banging away with a .380 from 50' plus I might distract him but in a crowded place with chaos I would be just as likely to hit someone else. Now if it's within 25 yards, I have a clear shot and only have to worry about myself(as in no family) that changes things. Also if there is not a clear escape route, direct action on the shooter might be the safest thing for all even when being outgunned. This kind of thinking is so beyond everyone in my office, they basically said "I would just hope not to get killed." I don't like that victim mentality, but if running is the safest thing especially for my people, then Forest Gump it is!

Oboy, am I already sorry I joined this topic...

You folks want to mince words and fence, fine. Do it offline.

I just hope the rest of us have enough wisdom and serenity to maintain our cool and leave the personalities, the white horses, and the windmills out of this.

People are suffering, people are mourning. Leave your hobby horses at the door, please. It's not about us and our gored oxen.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oboy, am I already sorry I joined this topic...

You folks want to mince words and fence, fine. Do it offline.

I just hope the rest of us have enough wisdom and serenity to maintain our cool and leave the personalities, the white horses, and the windmills out of this.

People are suffering, people are mourning. Leave your hobby horses at the door, please. It's not about us and our gored oxen.

Greg </div></div>

I'm sorry my Don Quixote or whatever your reference, is a bit rusty and I totally missed your point.

Personal opinion ...

If you have a legit CC... Keep it with you and keeps your mouth shut . Should such a situation occur atwater if your going to die you die fighting ....

Deepest sympathy to all the dead and injured . As usual this morning we had all the liberal gun control activist types on the radio here expressing concern about the growth of a gun culture here .

However this is not about a growth or a use of a gun culture it's about a mad and evil person using any means at his disposal to inflict death , misery and anguish on innocent people . Be it a baseball bat or a cat he would have use whatever means at his disposal which unfortunately for all legitimate gun owners was a firearm !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm sorry my Don Quixote or whatever your reference, is a bit rusty and I totally missed your point.
</div></div>

Why am I not surprised...?

Dassit, I'm outtahere.

The rest of you folks can take it from here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm still not sure that I think just your average Concealed Carrier could have done much in this situation. .... I would bet that 90%+ of CCW holders could not make that shot </div></div>

I think you're missing the overwhelming point of CCW in general which is the deterrent factor. I'd be willing to bet that if he knew that there was a high chance that somebody or multiple people in that very theater could fight back he would have gone to another theater/etc.

To your second point, I'd rather manage my own fate and I bet a lot of people would appreciate me at least trying to kill this kid in this situation. Sure there is a high probability of hitting a friendly but you have to admit that the whole dynamic would have changed if the shooter suddenly had to find cover, suddenly unable to casually pick off people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm sorry my Don Quixote or whatever your reference, is a bit rusty and I totally missed your point.
</div></div>

Why am I not surprised...?

Dassit, I'm outtahere.

The rest of you folks can take it from here... </div></div>

I honestly am not against discussion and was asking you to clarify. You can't dump some random obscure references and then leave the conversation and then be mad we aren't as "enlightened" as yourself.

Back on point, MY decision would be to get the family safe first, whatever way that was possible. Second would be putting that guy down, if possible. Even returning fire like someone else said could really have changed the dynamic...i.e. the off duty cop with one mag in the SLC mall that pinned down an active shooter long enough for the on duty guys to show up. He wasn't ideal in that he had a 7 shot .45, but made the best of it and saved probably many lives. These things DO matter, and since I am not grieving over a personal loss my next thought is how to stop this/keep my family safe from tragedy like this.

Listening to one eyewitness give a report, she consciously made a decision to GTFO, and began crawling for an exit. Then others stopped her because the bad guy was goal tending the exit, murdering the folks trying to GTFO.

At that juncture, I'd hope anyone with a pistol on them, with pistol marksmanship/competence, would bust a move.

I'd sure like to think I would.

Colorado senator calls for complete nationwide gun ban....If someone killed another guy with a hammer, would they call for a ban on hammers? Or knife ban?

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste and what I mean by that is it’s an opportunity to do things you didn’t think you could do before." - Rahm Emanuel

I wonder when they vote on the UN Arms Treaty?

EVEN THE REPORTER ON FOX REFERRED TO THE SHOOTERS WEAPON AS AN "AUTOMATIC WEAPON", PETER KING, THE GOP CONGRESSMAN FROM NY SAID "WE HAVE TO FIND OUT HOW THIS GUY ACCUMULATED SUCH A CACHE OF WEAPONS", WATCH OUT, HERE IT COMES, HELL THIS COULD EVEN KEEP O IN OFFICE FOR ANOTHER 4! WATCH HIM AND HIS CREW EXPLOIT THIS STARTING TOMORROW, MARK MY WORDS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swift justice, throw him in the street and turn your back, let the victoms decide his fate. </div></div>

this!!

you're right, that would probably make most of these rambo scumbags think twice

Sorry for voicing my opinion in ALL CAPS a few posts back. My opinion should not have been typed in such a loud text. I have deleted it and may now think you have won and have changed my mind....... but you haven't...... lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now the Ar-15 hype begains taken from yahoo news

"Holmes was apprehended within minutes of the 12:39 a.m. shooting at his car behind the theater, where police found him in full riot gear and carrying three weapons, <span style="font-weight: bold">including a AR-15 assault rifle, which can hold upwards of 100 rounds</span>, a Remington 12 gauge shot gun, and a .40 Glock handgun. A fourth handgun was found in the vehicle. Agents from the federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms are tracing the weapons."
Now the Assault rifle ban has a new war cry. And in 7 days the UN Arms Treaty may take place. I Feel bad for the dead and injured but just because one wack job got nuts doesn't mean I want a ban.</div></div>
From what I've read, the gunman had equipped his AR with a 100 round magazine. I believe that's where the "100 rounds" comment is coming from.

I just don't understand, I would give up everything to be able to help these Innocent people. Why can't fu*ked up people like this just blow there brains out and leave everybody else out of it.

Prayers are with the families of the loved ones who were killed. How horrible....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly am not against discussion and was asking you to clarify. You can't dump some random obscure references and then leave the conversation and then be mad we aren't as "enlightened" as yourself.
</div></div>
Greg was simply trying to tell you that it is inappropriate to turn this tragic event into a training exercise for a bunch of mall ninja's.

My family will be praying for all the people effected by this tragedy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jake6547</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just don't understand, I would give up everything to be able to help these Innocent people. Why can't fu*ked up people like this just blow there brains out and leave everybody else out of it. </div></div>

I agree. Individuals like this are just plain psychotic. No right minded person harms innocent people like this. This bastards deserves to let the families have their way with him.

how many millions we going to spend now trying to figure out this guys mind. Im sure he had a bad childhood and we will feed him and cloth him the rest of his time. reports here are that he showed up early to the flick, since the theater was opened 6 hours early for viewing of 2 previous bat man flicks, and he jarred the exit door just slightly so he could walk right in later. which he did.
so lets get the dems all over it so we have no guns on the street any longer. he bought them legally at bass pro and another local store. then when the next wacko wants to kill people he or she can just wait for the move to end and as all are walking out to thier cars, they can just plow them over with thier choice of weapon. thier car!
its a sad day here in denver! god bless the families and victims!

When do we discuss the panic buying that is very likely to ensue?

Not being critical trying to be a jerk, but so you know, "sharp" people are crazy too. Many persons with mental illness are very intelligent and many hold high degrees, just like this guy was in school for.
Did find out an old friend from growing up who is the GM of the theater where this happened is safe and sound, with a wife due with their first in 2-3 weeks. Apparently he was in the projection booth and watched the whole thing unfold.

And now to get fired up. I hope some pussy ass lib DA doesnt get ahold of this and let this bastard plead insanity, turn him into some sacrificial lamb who didnt get the TV and Gameboy he wanted as a child. He is psychotic and a freaking pussy. Good old fashioned capital punishment is the only way to deal with this.

300 people trying to get out of three doors in a fucking hurry is the definition of chaotic.

Movie noise, OC gas, Smoke, Movie theater lighting, screaming victims, Big Screen flashing light, 300 people running around, a guy throwing led like a Methodist shaking shit off his shoes and you are going to do something positive with a pistol?

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm still not sure that I think just your average Concealed Carrier could have done much in this situation. .... I would bet that 90%+ of CCW holders could not make that shot </div></div>

I think you're missing the overwhelming point of CCW in general which is the deterrent factor. I'd be willing to bet that if he knew that there was a high chance that somebody or multiple people in that very theater could fight back he would have gone to another theater/etc.

To your second point, I'd rather manage my own fate and I bet a lot of people would appreciate me at least trying to kill this kid in this situation. Sure there is a high probability of hitting a friendly but you have to admit that the whole dynamic would have changed if the shooter suddenly had to find cover, suddenly unable to casually pick off people. </div></div>

I guess we are just going to have to disagree here. If you would like to discuss it farther feel free to send me a PM but I am done with this thread because I have allowed myself to get WAY off topic. This is not the time or place to discuss this. My prayers go out to those individuals involved in this sad tragedy and their families.

He acted alone and <span style="text-decoration: underline">didn’t</span> commit suicide post-crime and by most online reads seemed to wait for apprehension for comment. The level of armament and preparation on personal defense vs. the way he went out is something to consider. Did he have prior relations with anyone in the theater? Did anyone consider this could indicate an initial lead-by-example? I’m not a psychologist but that means something. It is scary. I wasn't there, nor would I present becoming the hero in theme that dominates this thread.

Why debate “assault weapon” terminology? This serves what purpose? That the shooter didn’t have an automatic weapon? Justification in any upcoming political debates is going to need a better basis.

I wouldn’t equate IQ or intelligence against the inability to do such evil...its the counter.

Sick. God help the people involved and the implications to upholding our freedom.

Any business like this who denies CCW holders the right to carry is creating the perfect formula for a tragedy. They take away your right to protect yourself and do nothing themselves to replace that protection.

This guy was not some combat-hardened vet or even a street punk. He was a nerd who finished top in his class in neuroscience. All his guns were bought in the last 6 months. He is a classic internet wannabe who bought all the tacticool stuff he could find. Just one CCW holder would have had a good chance of stopping him, despite the body armor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who the hell brings a 3 month old child to a midnight showing of a movie?

The movie had probably already been ruined before the shooting had even started. </div></div>

Ya I was wondering that to, because lets face it thats pretty stupid and also thats a great way to ruin a movie by bringing a baby.

Also luckily these gunman are rare, what I mean are guys that plan it out and prove to be pretty effective.

Well, there was certainly a general sense of sadnees around town today, myself included, can't help but being angry at this dickheads audacity. Its important we all refer to the self proclaimed "joker" simply as a dickhead. He deserves to live the rest of his life in fear and humiliation, which I have no doubt he will.
We as gun enthusiasts, prior or current service men and women, law enforcement and sportsmen, need to not engage in debates with joe public. Instead to use tact and good education to reduce the backdraft heading our way. I hope, those of you who teach and sell firearms take my standpoint in talking people out of panic buys and talk about responsibility in ownership.
This one is a big one and fire with fire is NOT the answer.
My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly am not against discussion and was asking you to clarify. You can't dump some random obscure references and then leave the conversation and then be mad we aren't as "enlightened" as yourself.
</div></div>
Greg was simply trying to tell you that it is inappropriate to turn this tragic event into a training exercise for a bunch of mall ninja's.

My family will be praying for all the people effected by this tragedy. </div></div>

So when something extremely tragic happens close to you, and you think out loud on a forum about how to minimize this and protect yourself and because it's the internet you are a mall ninja? If the shootings start happening in the mall does that mean the mall ninja's are our greatest asset...lol.

In all seriousness, maybe it was too soon but my first thoughts were "that is terrible for those people, hope none of my friends were there." Then a bit later "what would I have done if I were there?" Everyone does this, or at least should in order to mentally prepare. It's not a mall ninja fantasy wet dream when it is actually happening in schools, malls, theaters. It's reality and that sucks, but so be it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Greg was simply trying to tell you that it is inappropriate to turn this tragic event into a training exercise for a bunch of mall ninja's.

My family will be praying for all the people effected by this tragedy.
</div></div>

This, and mine, too. No obligation to heed my advice, just sayin'.

I really do not wish to prolong my involvement in this thread hijack any further.

Greg

My heart goes out to those afflicted by this incident. Anyone who's ever had to help support a widow after her husband was KIA knows exactly what these people are going through.

This guy styled himself as the Joker, someone whom in a previous Batman movie was described as, "Some people just want to watch the world burn…" and he was a biomedical student who was scheduled to give a lecture on cellular mechanics. I don't know how many people are familiar with the DIY Bio movement (garage-based genetic engineering) or the theory of "superempowered individuals" but those "gas bombs" in the theater and that "apartment bomb" could have been filled with biological agents that could have killed many more than 12 people. This was the basis of the film, 12 Monkeys. God shield us all from such insanity.

I think that anyone who considers this event as typical is in for a surprise.

I believe it will be a pivotal moment in our Nation's history.

People will point back in time to this moment. Something (I am in no way capable of predicting what) dramatic and telling will come from this.

If we deal with it confrontationally, nobody will benefit. As I suggested earlier, we need to invest our energy in a solution, and not in a victory. There is nothing to win here, only things to lose. With caution and wisdom, all will lose less. With vitriol and passion, some may lose all. Neither side of this debate deserves that.

Gun control is not a dead issue. This event comes at a time when it could emotionally sway a majority opinion closer toward voluntary US participation in a UN ATT treaty. Nobody with a vested interest in this issue is going to miss that conclusion.

Educational dissertation rather misses the point. Nothing is more important than meeting this juncture foresquare and constructively. All else can wait.

If you can't get that, then you're part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Greg

The potential political hay that can be made of this nightmare is mind boggling. I agree that doing nothing to confirm the predisposition of those for whom this rampage provides top spin, for as much additional firearm restriction as they can obtain, is wise.

The tragedy though is still unfolding and only those out of favor in this will be deemed to be acting inappropriately. All the more so the slobs who spout Nugent-ine baloney, make absurd you tube videos of themselves bump firing or other intemperate or unhinged or just ill timed statements that smack of indifference to the loss and maiming of so many innocent people.

I'm surprised at the blow back that Brian Ross of ABC has received for his own political spinning of the murders being possibly inspired by Tea Party membership! This is at least encouraging.

It is not inappropriate for non gun owners, especially those who aren't necessarily anti gun, to be frightened by the prospect of a person with no previous history of criminal or psychotic behavior going on a rampage with a highly efficient weapon. Now is not the time to smash them in the face with the "Would his use of a model 94 and a Peacemaker have made you feel less threatened?" crap!

This guy seems to have planned this to a staggering degree and perhaps in the fullness of time we will find some of the other details of this nightmare, like the bombs, booby traps, use of tear gas, possible political nihilism, etc. may take some of the heat off the focus on the firearms. But without doubt, the White elephant in the room remains the lack of a coherent and convincing argument that demonstrates unequivocally that firearms bans are not the answer.

THings look grim enough without compounding them with callous platitudes or desperate reliance on shopworn slogans while the dead are still being collected.

Maybe I missed it; but nowhere in this string of posts did I see any mention of the kind of movies and such this guy immersed himself in prior to this. Apparently he was a big "V for Vendetta" guy and other similar anarchistic and extremely violent type flicks. Stuff is still coming in; but linkages to the Occupy Movement are apparently being made as well?? This is a horrific act of murder on a large scale; but the roots of it need to be investigated as well. Just one successful lawsuit against a film company that helps to foster a climate which instigates crimes like this (the film companies always get off claiming 1st Amendment protection and no definitive proof that their product 'caused' acts like this) would stop a lot of it IMHO. We are so immersed in a culture of violence everywhere you look (Movies, TV, Internet, Print) we don't even see it as something to be alarmed about anymore.

I think this event may help illuminate the futility of approaching this problem from a preventive aspect. No preventive laws were broken. No preventive laws could have been enacted without direct and universal contravention of the Second Amendment.

IMHO the only effective deterrent to firearms abuse in committing violence is a clear and credible expectation of severe punishment. That deterrent is by no means clear and credible these days. I also seriously doubt that even this would be an effective deterrent to a deranged zealot.

The culpable issue is one of abuse, and not of possession.

Very simply, such horrors are part of the price one pays to live in a free society. Many believe it is an unnecessary and unreasonable price. They are probably the same people who do not believe in individual responsibility for one's own actions. I am not among them.

Those who hold fears above freedoms are the ones who will be the most vociferous and unswerving in their attacks on private firearms possession. Until one understands this and girds to address such unseeing, unhearing zealots, one will make no headway. You cannot convince those who will not listen. You cannot demonstrate reality to those whose eyes are wide shut.

There are too many problems inherent within the system to be confident that a reliable remedy could be contrived in a useful timeframe. Legislatures are not the places where these solutions will originate. It is the Courtrooms that will enact a solution, if their inhabitants possess the stones to make a meaningful difference.

Meanwhile legislators gull the electorate with tens of thousands of ordinances intended to preclude gun violence. If that approach was going to have credible traction, it would have had unquestionable, substantive success by now.

In essence, ours is an approach akin to combatting vehicular speed violations by lowering the speed limit. Sounds plausible to some of our more shallow thinkers, but does nothing productive in reality.

I have no proven answers, but I have some clear ideas about what has already proven to be inconclusive and ineffective.

Greg

I feel my heart being ripped out for the families involved and my blood boiling for the cock sucker who committed such an act....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I missed it; but nowhere in this string of posts did I see any mention of the kind of movies and such this guy immersed himself in prior to this. Apparently he was a big "V for Vendetta" guy and other similar anarchistic and extremely violent type flicks. [...] We are so immersed in a culture of violence everywhere you look (Movies, TV, Internet, Print) we don't even see it as something to be alarmed about anymore. </div></div>

This is because the media has great power to frame a discussion. They have instantaneously shifted the ground away from discussion of issues detrimental to them to a battlefield that does not challenge them. Any attempt to switch back will be met with active resistance, but finding something else might work. Sort of like a pack of dogs -- save the deer by setting them after the fox, but maybe a smart fox will cross some rabbit trails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimrod12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colorado senator calls for complete nationwide gun ban....If someone killed another guy with a hammer, would they call for a ban on hammers? Or knife ban? </div></div>

I'm a proud gun owner. But the fact of the matter is in most all of these tragedies guns are involved. Usually semi-automatic rifles or hand guns. Often times with high capacity mags. I can't recall the last time someone went on a mass rampage with a hammer, knife, or baseball bat.

You stated if someone kills "another guy with a hammer". Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t 12 people die as well as 58 wounded. Not sure if you could go into a crowded theatre with a hammer and create that type of catastrophe. I find your analogy and argument completely off base.

I love my .260 and my .308. But, I have a hard time understanding why someone would need or have the ability to purchase in the civilian market body armor, beta mags, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this event may help illuminate the futility of approaching this problem from a preventive aspect. No preventive laws were broken. No preventive laws could have been enacted without direct and universal contravention of the Second Amendment.

IMHO the only effective deterrent to firearms abuse in committing violence is a clear and credible expectation of severe punishment. That deterrent is by no means clear and credible these days. I also seriously doubt that even this would be an effective deterrent to a deranged zealot.

The culpable issue is one of abuse, and not of possession.

Very simply, such horrors are part of the price one pays to live in a free society. Many believe it is an unnecessary and unreasonable price. They are probably the same people who do not believe in individual responsibility for one's own actions. I am not among them.

Those who hold fears above freedoms are the ones who will be the most vociferous and unswerving in their attacks on private firearms possession. Until one understands this and girds to address such unseeing, unhearing zealots, one will make no headway. You cannot convince those who will not listen. You cannot demonstrate reality to those whose eyes are wide shut.

There are too many problems inherent within the system to be confident that a reliable remedy could be contrived in a useful timeframe. Legislatures are not the places where these solutions will originate. It is the Courtrooms that will enact a solution, if their inhabitants possess the stones to make a meaningful difference.

Meanwhile legislators gull the electorate with tens of thousands of ordinances intended to preclude gun violence. If that approach was going to have credible traction, it would have had unquestionable, substantive success by now.

In essence, ours is an approach akin to combatting vehicular speed violations by lowering the speed limit. Sounds plausible to some of our more shallow thinkers, but does nothing productive in reality.

I have no proven answers, but I have some clear ideas about what has already proven to be inconclusive and ineffective.

Greg </div></div>

Best. Post. Ever.

Well put.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinTM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I missed it; but nowhere in this string of posts did I see any mention of the kind of movies and such this guy immersed himself in prior to this. Apparently he was a big "V for Vendetta" guy and other similar anarchistic and extremely violent type flicks. [...] We are so immersed in a culture of violence everywhere you look (Movies, TV, Internet, Print) we don't even see it as something to be alarmed about anymore. </div></div>

This is because the media has great power to frame a discussion. They have instantaneously shifted the ground away from discussion of issues detrimental to them to a battlefield that does not challenge them. Any attempt to switch back will be met with active resistance, but finding something else might work. Sort of like a pack of dogs -- save the deer by setting them after the fox, but maybe a smart fox will cross some rabbit trails. </div></div>

The way to stop an assault weapon ban as I see it. Is for the NRA and pro gun politician to tie any ban on assault weapons to a ban on violate movies, video games and music lyrics.

Make it illegal to produce and distribute anything that is violate to another human. Make them stop showing past productions too.

That would cost Hollywood billions and the discussion would stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I missed it; but nowhere in this string of posts did I see any mention of the kind of movies and such this guy immersed himself in prior to this. Apparently he was a big "V for Vendetta" guy and other similar anarchistic and extremely violent type flicks. Stuff is still coming in; but linkages to the Occupy Movement are apparently being made as well?? This is a horrific act of murder on a large scale; but the roots of it need to be investigated as well. Just one successful lawsuit against a film company that helps to foster a climate which instigates crimes like this (the film companies always get off claiming 1st Amendment protection and no definitive proof that their product 'caused' acts like this) would stop a lot of it IMHO. We are so immersed in a culture of violence everywhere you look (Movies, TV, Internet, Print) we don't even see it as something to be alarmed about anymore. </div></div>

I heard it reported 1 time that he told LE he was the Joker.

Greg:

I very much agree with your last post it was well thought out and very intelligent.

A few themes in this thread that you and a few others have stated are that perhaps you don't have answers to how this could be stopped, but that it is not through preventive legislation of firearms, as that has already been proven to be ineffective over and over. I agree with that point too, but think it ridiculous that you decided the direction of the thread and considered it a derail when I brought up my thoughts on how the situation could have been different had an armed person been in that theatre.

Maybe this event is intellectual to you or important because of the pivotal impact it will have on legislation and our country. For me, this particular tragedy has hit home, literally. I have friends that live near there, that could have been there. I attend movies and go other places in an area right near there. This is not intellectual for me.

The question has been asked how can we counter the media's bias and show why we should maintain our right to have firearms. The answer is obvious to a lot of non-gun owners that I have spoken with in this area, but ironically not to some of you. Part of the answer is good people being armed and prepared to meet threats in as many places as possible.

Soft targets are where killers go. They are not looking for a fair fight, or for too much resistance. They want to make their statement and have their fame and attention, and don't want to do it in a place where it will be ended too soon before they have achieved a shocking enough body count. It is sick and twisted, but it is their reality.

Many of my friends' first thought was: would this have gone differently if a CCW holder were there? These are not permit holders themselves, and not even gun owners. My answer to them was that "it depends." If some people don't want to discuss their personal preparedness and tactics in this thread then so be it. In my mind, it is one of the most relevant discussion points about an event like this. Ask yourself; "If I had been there would my mindset, preparedness and training have made me an asset, or a victim? Would I have been able to keep myself and family safe, and how would I have done it?" Could/would I have helped people? These are not "windmill and white horse" visions for me. If they are for you then you are the one that is out of touch with reality. These things happen every year in your country, and could easily be near you, God forbid.

I pray for the family's and the recovering victims. I also pray that should I be put in a similar situation that I would be able to act and stop such evil, or at least keep it from those I love. I pray that American's don't use this as an excuse to make people more vulnerable, but that they take it as a lesson on our county's state. Thanks for listening.