• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colorado Tripod - Rocky Mountain Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Guys,

At Shot Show we saw the pre-production model for the Rocky Mountain Tripod, it's nearly complete with just a few minor recommendations for them to tweak.

They have created a page dedicated to the tripod that will help support Sniper's Hide so if you are interested in this system use the link

www.thehidetripod.com

They created a custom URL to track referrals from the site,

rockymtntripod.jpg

Some minor changes include the handle folding and the mount on top will be a throw lever with a tension adjuster for out of spec rails,

Overall we had a crowd look at it and all were very happy with the product.

That looks like an Atlas interface for the clamp which is awesome, would allow people to use different clamp heads including the RRS pic/dovetail clamps, I think Area 419s clamps, ARMs, ADM, etc all use that interface ?

Yes,

It's made to swap, but will be an Arca by default, but the bolt pattern should allow for either or, they had two tripods, one with an Arca mount and this one. They are trying to make the top adaptable

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
    An Arca for my MDT ACC would be pretty sweet. When I get the rest of my want list done...and if I have any blood or non-vital organs left to sell....I'll pick one up.

Looking forward to seeing these in the wild.

They have really came a long way on this since you first mentioned them on the pod cast .Cannot wait to see one out in person.

Yes, they said, this version has an extra leg extension, we told them to remove it, so that will remove a bit of weight, it was about a 1/2 pound over RRS 33 legs with a leveling base, as they had the option to do stainless steel lock inserts versus aluminum so what ever a 33 weighs add .5 to it

but it might have a spec on the site, but we did modify it to be lighter.

We told them they can do SS inserts for specific reasons like salt water but not for the average guy

Been on a waiting list for a rrs 34L with anvil 30 for about a month. Half tempted to jump on this instead. Almost feel like I would get it quicker. And save some money.

Glad to see the clamps will be adaptable. The handle twists for tension on the ball, right?

Been on a waiting list for a rrs 34L with anvil 30 for about a month. Half tempted to jump on this instead. Almost feel like I would get it quicker. And save some money.

RRS told me their back order is 4 to 6 weeks from time of order. I have a hard time believing the Colorado tripod will be out any time soon if they're still doing prototyping.

Reactions: RS14
    At least IT has a massive, er, Member....

As Tyler Hoover of Hoovie's Garage would say (his favorite word), "Beefy".

I received shipping notification today from RRS for a January 17th order. I don't know what their current lead time is but their estimation for my order was accurate.

Hmmm...I'm a couple of weeks behind you....<crossing fingers>

For those familiar with using the Anvil 30, what are the Pro's Con's you see with that system versus Colorado's Tripod handlebar torque system?

I think until we see one in the wild, it'll be hard to give an honest comparison. One of RRS's big pluses, is their durability and performance in really austere conditions. The Colorado one hasn't been put through that yet, so any offered opinion by anyone, is really just a guess.

I think until we see one in the wild, it'll be hard to give an honest comparison. One of RRS's big pluses, is their durability and performance in really austere conditions. The Colorado one hasn't been put through that yet, so any offered opinion by anyone, is really just a guess.

Good point. I guess I'll wait a bit and borrow tripods for a little longer. I probably should order a Anvil30 just to have a backup given how long the backorder is.

Ballpark on how much this Tripod weighs?
    What's the weight on one of these. If its light enough I'd love to pack one around

We are still working on the manufacturing of the individual parts so we won't know the weight until all of those parts are made or sourced. The prototype that's pictured on social media and that was brought to SHOT show was the 4 leg section version and contained more aluminum parts that will now be made using stainless steel. Basically, it'll be 2-3 weeks until we have the final specs on weight.

As far as having one to "pack around" I'm not sure this model will be for you. It is basically made for PRS and portability was not a factor that was designed into this version. We do have plans on making a hunting version (lighter weight and more compact) and possibly a hybrid version as well. But those are still very early on in the design phase. We are 100% focused on the current Vector model at the moment.

Rocky Mountain Tactical Support Tripod Update (Not to be confused with Colorado Tripod Co):
    Colorado Tripod Company is not making a rifle specific tripod. Rocky Mountain Tactical Supports worked directly with Colorado Tripod to help develop there first model, but they are separate companies. Just some clarification.

Production on the Vector tripod (there are 2 models) has just begun. There is a stand alone tripod (with no ballhead or leveling base) that is similar to most series 4 photography tripods but built "beefier" than photography tripods due to the extreme situations that PRS users use them in. This version will NOT come with an integrated ballhead/leveling base and runs $599. This model has the cutout and removable pieces to allow the integrated ballhead to be dropped into it down the road when we start selling them separately. Let me know if you need more clarification on this.

The other model (that one is in all the pics) is the integrated Vector tripod that does come with a ballhead/leveling base (it's a bit of a hybrid). It will ruin $999 and the head/base can be removed to become a traditional photography type tripod base that you can attach other items to (shooting platforms, different heads, etc).

Production Update:
    The non-integrated (tripod only) has begun the manufacturing process. We expect to start shipping them in 3-4 weeks if all goes according to plans.
    The integrated tripod has not started the production process yet as we are still making some final tweaks and testing on it. Our goal is to provide a final, complete and durable product that we stand behind and we won't start production on that until we are satisfied that we have it correct the first time.

What happens if I pre-ordered the Integrated?
    Don't worry, we have a plan! We will send the tripod only (non-integrated) version to you once it's ready. We also partnered up with Colorado Tripod Co to use their Highline ballhead as a temporary head substitute for our integrated customers. So we will ship that head with the tripod along with a riser. Once the integrated ballhead is ready, we will send you a pre-paid shipping label to send the Colorado Tripod head back and then we will send you the RMTS integrated ballhead to drop into your tripod.

Feel free to email me any questions you may have at [email protected]

F98C5CFE-E8C4-4726-B135-D07986A8ED41.JPG

What happens if I pre-ordered the Integrated?
    Don't worry, we have a plan! We will send the tripod only (non-integrated) version to you once it's ready. We also partnered up with Colorado Tripod Co to use their Highline ballhead as a temporary head substitute for our integrated customers. So we will ship that head with the tripod along with a riser. Once the integrated ballhead is ready, we will send you a pre-paid shipping label to send the Colorado Tripod head back and then we will send you the RMTS integrated ballhead to drop into your tripod.

@FD-Click Any chance you guys might offer a deal where those of us who paid for the integrated setup could purchase the ballhead setup you're sending us at a good price?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kentucreed6
    Any new word on these yet? Hopefully someone gets one in hand soon, I want to pull the trigger on one but really prefer to see them moving into the wild first.

Here’s the response I received on April 27th.

Thanks for reaching out. The tripods are in production right now, but there are a few parts that have become difficult to make during the COVID19 shut down. We are having trouble getting some of the raw materials that we need in order to make those parts. As of right now, we will only be able to complete the tripod itself and the integrated ballhead will be made a little later down the line once some of these hurdles are able to be overcome. When we ship the tripod, we will also ship a temporary ballhead for you to use until the integrated ballhead is ready and shipping. The temporary ballhead will be from our friends over at Colorado Tripod and is a lightly modified version of the medium Highline Ballhead (see below).
    Please keep in mind that we never want to have you feel like we are holding your money hostage while we complete our orders and we are more than happy to refund you your money and then you can re-order when they are truly available. Just keep that option in the back of your mind and please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers

That I don't know. They have been pretty responsive to emails in case you want to ask.
    Get ahold of David. He goes by different names depending on the day. There is no integrated. The guy is a total douche. Unreliable and total liar. All Chinese stuff.

Has anyone heard anything about the ballheads. They've been radio silent as far as I can tell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.