• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt 607

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    This is my NFA SBR Colt 607. The Colt 607 was the fore-runner of the CAR-15. About fifty were built and issued to the Green Berets and Navy SEAL's in Vietnam. It had an adjustable butt stock and a "moderator" on the muzzle. Shortened triangular handguars with flat delta ring. Gound off bayonet lug. The moderator reduced sound enough to be considered a suppressor by the BATF so mine is just an empty tube with the correct external dimensions. The scope is an original Colt 3x20.

DSCN5012.JPG

DSCN5013.JPG

DSCN5014.JPG

DSCN5015.JPG

DSCN5016.JPG

DSCN5018.JPG

DSCN5019.JPG

I read the moderator was designed to make it sound more like a regular M16? No idea if true.

I read the moderator was designed to make it sound more like a regular M16? No idea if true.
    I think less to "make it sound more like" and more to "make it sound as loud as/quieter than"?

Fired without a muzzle device, the 607 is incredibly loud with a huge flash. The original moderator had baffles to reduce the sound and also reduced the flash. Below is a copy being sold. It is considered a suppressor by the the ATF.
    1981393406.jpg

Reactions: RTH1800
    My understanding was the moderator was designed to help the short 10.3" barrels be more reliable with additional back pressure. The 10.3's were then increased to 11.5's, IE the XM177 series for reliability.

Test were conducted later on the moderators (with more sophisticated equipment) and they actually increased the sound levels by 1-2 Db.

A lot of moderators were throw away or thrown in tool boxes never to be seen again when people were told they had to pay an additional $200 tax on them.

I literally just finished this today. Did the pin and weld this morning. It's obviously not a clone. I used my last WOA A2 pinned upper and made something to use in 2 Gun Matches. Of course it could be used anytime a quick handling rifle with some firepower would be needed but I don't know what that may be. It's a Rock River entry stock and a B.Kings 11.5 1/7 barrel. B.King (BKF) also supplied the BCG and the trigger. This is their 3.5 -4.5 Power group ( single stage). I have Geissele triggers on all my rifles and they are great. This is not a match rifle and this trigger is crisp and breaks at 4.0 lbs. exactly. The reset is outstanding all for $35.00. The "moderator" is Charlies Customs Clones. Not a repop and exact but it's on an A2 upper so...The handguards are from Tony's Customs. I mention this because finding these parts today is like finding an honest politician. I'll get it out and zero it next week. I'll give an update if anyone is interested.PS the Sofia picture is because I'm a nice guy

Attachments

• DSCN1667.JPG
      DSCN1667.JPG
      682.6 KB · Views: 159
    • DSCN1668.JPG
      DSCN1668.JPG
      727.4 KB · Views: 119
    • DSCN1669.JPG
      DSCN1669.JPG
      930.5 KB · Views: 149
    • download (2).jpg
      download (2).jpg