• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt 901 vs custom Mega ?'s

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
I am currently in the process of building a couple AR 308 rifles. I have a buddy who is trying to purchase the new Colt 901. He has been trying to talk it up. I am a huge colt fan but I feel that a custom built rifle if done right will suit ones needs better and perform more accurately. Can anyone give me the pro and cons of the new 901?

My 2 builds have an armalite and mega lower with gap and timney triggers, prs stocks, mag pul grips. Uppers have noveske 18" barrels.

I think this is apples to oranges but in his opinion the colt is going to outshine my guns.

Thoughts?

Re: Colt 901 vs custom Mega ?'s

The 901 can be converted to 5.56

That's not an advantage to me, but that's the one thing you get with the 901 that you won't get with another large AR.

OP, I agree that it is an apples to oranges comparison. Your custom builds would fill a different role than would the 901.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gman021</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the 901 take any 308 upper? </div></div>

No!!!
smile.gif
OnlyAR-15 sized uppers

mega all the way, for the price of the colt 901 I could build 2 very nice sub MOA rifles. 1 in LR308 and 1 in AR15. Both would have mega parts and receivers and match stainless barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mega all the way, for the price of the colt 901 I could build 2 very nice sub MOA rifles. 1 in LR308 and 1 in AR15. Both would have mega parts and receivers and match stainless barrels.</div></div>

I think you'd have a hard time building 2 sub-MOA guns for $2000

The 901 is a decent 308 gun. The adapter is unavailable for purchase at this time, so no conversions yet. Rumor has it the adapter will eventually sell only with a colt 5.56 upper, so expect to pay around $700-$900 for that part. The 308 upper has the front pin set far forward to allow the adapter block, so no other 308 upper will ever fit. So to run in other "big" calibers (260, 243, 338 fed ect) is a no-go.

My personal assessment is it's a good 308, but not very "modular" like they promised.

Well I hope he orders one just for the sheer fact that I cant wait to push him out to the 300-500 yard range with it and see if he can hang. He has been pretty arrogant about a rifle that he can only back order while I am enjoying my build piece by piece. Either way at the end of the day, I can say I did that 100% when I hear the crack......DING.

When my 2 rifles are finished, I will try to upday pictures and how they performed against the 901 if one ever comes in.

thanks for the input.

I got to hold one before it sold. I liked the 901. Everything seemed to be in order. I don't like that it is 1-12 twist. I'd rather it be a 1-10 per preference. The trigger isn't a custom, that might be nice if it were. It could be added I'd guess. It's a monolithic upper like a 6940. I suppose it would need some proprietary tool to do anything barrel wise. But all and all for 2k I didn't feel it to be too badly priced for what it was, as is. Coming from a guy that had zero interest in 308 AR rifles prior to the 901, I guess it caught my eye.

Thanks M21guy. That is the answer I was looking for. The 901 falls short to me due to the barrel,trigger, and stock. I like the monolithic upper design. As far as looks go, It's got it. But I plan to shoot 175gr smk and I like the 1 in 11.25 or 1 in 10 twist better. Im not looking for resale value. I am looking at it as a tool that is going to be used and I want to be comfortable using it and able to enjoy it. Not some conversation peice that sits on the sidelines in the safe. I own several colts from 1911's - ar's and am pleased with every single one.