• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comments on Spikes Tactical SBRs?

bogeybrown

0369/8531
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
AL
Alright Gents,

A friend of mine on camp is wanting a Spikes Tactical SBR (w suppressor) and sought my opinion because we talk guns from time to time. I haven't really paid attention to what is happening in the AR world, and since I'm moving to Illinois when the war ends, I quit bothering to look at SBR projects out of anger that I can't have one.

SO, I told him I'd check with the smartest collection of gun people I "know" (that's you guys).

I know that Noveske, KAC, and LMT get a lot of love here, but rarely even see Spikes mentioned. I was just hoping to help him prevent a mistake if in fact Spikes is a huge "no go". I honestly just don't know enough about their rifles to say. So any information y'all have about Spikes, good or bad, would be appreciated.

(I'm trying to talk him into just joining the forum himself, and I explained to him that this is NOT Arf.com which had soured him completely on any type of gun forum).

Again, thanks for any info ya'll can provide

Every Spike's full build, including their SBRs, that I have ever encountered ran like a scalded dog!! I just got done playing with one of their suppressed, SBR 9mm carbines before the first of the year and it was silky smooth and didn't miss a beat, suppressed and unsuppressed, in the 500 rounds I fired and otherwise saw fired from it in an afternoon of running and gunning it. I have one of their complete, non-SBR 16" 9mm Carbines...same story...it never misses a beat and I've put nearly 6k rounds through it since getting it a couple years back. I liked it so much, I've used Spike's parts on another build I did myself.

I have no problems recommending Spike's to anyone in the market, but your friend should do his homework and decide on what options out in the market best fit his personal wants/needs with the project and whether Spike's is the best company to deliver that to him within his budget and timeframe. As of not long ago...Spike's was nearly a full year out in terms of complete rifle/sbr builds due primarily to heavy order volumes and backorders of necessary parts/components, and they were also mandating full payment upfront for custom builds in an effort to cut the line down somewhat. That's a LONG time to wait having paid upfront when there are other viable options on the market, including full custom builds, that will likely take considerably less time to get in hand and that won't charge 100% upfront (of course...I'm not even going down the how long his paperwork will take to clear route as God only knows!). ;) Anyway...just another piece of the puzzle for him to consider before going all in with Spike's.

Thanks, that helps. The wait/paperwork is HIS problem ;) Although, before he sold his business, my Class III dealer had a wall of Spikes SBRs ready for sale/transfer, so maybe his dealer has one on hand already. As I said, GETTING the rifle is HIS problem, I just wanted to give him some solid feedback rather than the "uh huh, sure, Spikes builds nice stuff" answer without really having any knowledge of their products.

I've personally never shot a full spikes build, but I have owned a couple parts such as their receivers, bcg, and other minor things. I still want one of their jolly rogers lowers with the "Parlay/Arrgh/Plunder" safety markings! But between me and my buddies that have a few spikes parts as well, we've never had anything negative to say about them. I know when they first came to the market they were under scrutiny because of their initial low price point (I bought my bcg from them a few years ago for ~$90 shipped, has ran flawlessly ever since then) and claim of "mil-spec" parts but since have really taken off like a rocket. My buddy just recently got a NiB BCG and dynacomp from them, and it appears their quality hasn't suffered since then. Unfortunately their prices have gone up since then, but so has everyone's. Also the crazy wait times they have now also say something about their quality vs price. My 2 cents!