• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Compact fluorescent bulbs and electronic scales?

Hunt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
Tennessee
I've seen a lot of mentioning about fluorescent bulbs causing electronic scales to vary due to EMF, etc. However, what is the consensus on compact fluorescent bulbs in light fixtures directly overhead?

More specifically, how does the RCBS Chargemaster handle it? I'd like to use CF bulbs but want to know what I'm getting into. As a last resort, has anyone tried the new(er) LED bulbs?

Re: Compact fluorescent bulbs and electronic scales?

I have the Hornady version and it throws very strange charges around CFL and regular CF bulbs. I've been told that the primary electronics in the units identical across all the various manufacturers, the scale chip is the same one.

A friend of mine said he can tell when his cell phone is about to ring because the scale bugs out on him too.

Another reason I use beam scales now.

I called RCBS a couple years ago and asked about flourescents affecting their digital scale and they said there was no affect on the newer models. Again, this was a couple years ago.
myerfire

I reload in the dark, and my loads look consistent.

Really though I have heard of this being a problem but I haven't seen it for myself and I run a CM1500 but mine may be a newer one.