• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Concealed carry - have you had to defend? issues related to the aftermath

hunter1959

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
has anyone needed to used their concealed carry permit in the defense of yourself, your family or others.... what were the legal issues you faced afterward? what state were you in? how effective was your attorney? did you have CCA insurance? if so, with whom?

I had an issue before I got law shield.

I highly advise you get some type of service.

5k, fired from my job for 10 months, ltc threatened, and ultimately dismissed because they had no case just a da that wanted my chl on his trophy list tried " badgering " me to give it up.

Get something.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Most people arent willing to discuss that on an internet board. Especially not with people they never met.

I will tell you what I know from the investigating officers standpoint.

Shots fired. First responders arrive. The shooter is put in some kind of custody.
Expect that: Custody. Weapon seized. Scared out of your mind that what follows is not your friend. A few are arrogant.

At some point, the investigating authority will either offer you a chance to get an attorney, let you go, telling you a grand jury will decide your fate, or lock you up.

There are good lawyers everywhere that can get you off if you are in the right. Some can get you off if you are guilty.
Sometimes it's a court appointed lawyer on taxpayer dime, the others, it's your pocket.
It's up to how the dice roll sometimes. There is no "one size fits all".
I've seen a habitual offender multiple felonious offender get a not guilty in a jury trial after killing one of his peers, and as the investigating officer, I was satisfied justice was served.

Lower Alabama, zero ccw carry insurance. Not even sure where to find it here.

Last family involved shooting cost 38k and took 7.5 years to resolve. Home owners insurance finally settled the civil suit.

Because one jurisdiction is so different from the next, most of the officers here, have a lawyer on call from the PBA, paid for out of pocket.

Like Snuby said, find something where you live and get it.
Ask your insurance agent. If it's a road rage shooting, they have gone after the car insurer.
Yard shooting, they have gone after the home owner insurer.
They will go after any insurer, because most will settle some nuisance fee to make it go away.

If this seems like a long post, pay attention, 7.5 years in the last family situation...

I am not able to compare this service against others but this is what I use for the whole family.

I have had it suggested to us USCCA... have also heard that the NRA package is not that good... have you two heard of USCCA?... and thank you for the uslawshield suggestion Snuby

Reactions: Snuby642
If nothing else, you WILL be sued!

There are lawyers that will go and seek out any living relatives that have standing and file suit. This not a possibility...it is a certainty.

If you have to shoot someone, even if absolutely justified and necessary, it will cost you years of pain and many thousands of dollars.

Just the way it is.

has anyone needed to used their concealed carry permit in the defense of yourself, your family or others.... what were the legal issues you faced afterward? what state were you in? how effective was your attorney? did you have CCA insurance? if so, with whom?

I think the OP is forgetting the first two rules of Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club:

1) Never talk about Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club; and
2) Never talk about Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club.

Reactions: wh20crazy
I think the OP is forgetting the first two rules of Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club:

1) Never talk about Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club; and
2) Never talk about Concealed Carry and Self-Defense Club.

I understand your sentiment.... but what are we all to do? re-invite known awareness individually for ourselves with no learned knowledge that would otherwise be available? Collective experience is an important planning tool... just my thoughts

"re-invite known awareness individually for ourselves with no learned knowledge that would otherwise be available?"

um...what? :)

Assuming you have a permit and your state requires you to take a course from approved certified instructors, most of your questions should have been covered in the course you took. If not, I would ask for my money back. If you don't have a permit, I would take a course to get the lowdown on the law in your state and your responsibility as a concealed weapon permit holder or simply using deadly force in your own home.

If nothing else, you WILL be sued!

There are lawyers that will go and seek out any living relatives that have standing and file suit. This not a possibility...it is a certainty.

If you have to shoot someone, even if absolutely justified and necessary, it will cost you years of pain and many thousands of dollars.

Just the way it is.

For a reason...if your life is really not in danger, you shouldn't be skinning the smoke wagon...if it is...well you can be dead or deal with the lawsuit

Reactions: wh20crazy
Most people arent willing to discuss that on an internet board. Especially not with people they never met.

I will tell you what I know from the investigating officers standpoint.

Shots fired. First responders arrive. The shooter is put in some kind of custody.
Expect that: Custody. Weapon seized. Scared out of your mind that what follows is not your friend. A few are arrogant.

At some point, the investigating authority will either offer you a chance to get an attorney, let you go, telling you a grand jury will decide your fate, or lock you up.

There are good lawyers everywhere that can get you off if you are in the right. Some can get you off if you are guilty.
Sometimes it's a court appointed lawyer on taxpayer dime, the others, it's your pocket.
It's up to how the dice roll sometimes. There is no "one size fits all".
I've seen a habitual offender multiple felonious offender get a not guilty in a jury trial after killing one of his peers, and as the investigating officer, I was satisfied justice was served.

Lower Alabama, zero ccw carry insurance. Not even sure where to find it here.

Last family involved shooting cost 38k and took 7.5 years to resolve. Home owners insurance finally settled the civil suit.

Because one jurisdiction is so different from the next, most of the officers here, have a lawyer on call from the PBA, paid for out of pocket.

Like Snuby said, find something where you live and get it.
Ask your insurance agent. If it's a road rage shooting, they have gone after the car insurer.
Yard shooting, they have gone after the home owner insurer.
They will go after any insurer, because most will settle some nuisance fee to make it go away.

If this seems like a long post, pay attention, 7.5 years in the last family situation...
Man our justice system sucks.

Reactions: deersniper
I have USCCA. I haven't ever had to use it, but the package seems really good. Your spouse is covered also. We have a Platinum-level package which provides $1M in civil defense and $150k in criminal defense for $350 a year. I haven't vetted it extensively but it's what I bought.

My wife, myself, son in law and daughter have USCCA. I chose them after researching a few. In a necessary event I don't guess you can ever be sure but at least having an advocate and insurance for costs is reassuring.

I have USCCA as well. Adding spouse is an option for a few dollars more but I don't think it is automatic.

I have Second Call. Seemed gtg.
Not having something didn’t seem to make sense in our litigious society.

needed to used their concealed carry permit

Last I knew your CC permit has nothing to do with using a firearm in defense of one's/others life. Thinking that way is a sure bet your case is not going in your favor. You better get an attorney ASAP.

Texas Law Shield. $137 a year is pretty cheap insurance.