• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Considering a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 for a long range AR, thoughts?

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Close to pulling the trigger on nightforce NX8 2.5-20 with the MIL-XT reticle, I like the size, weight, FFP, and the fact that I can buy via their mil program. Intent is to primarily have it on my 6mm ARC SPR style 18" AR build for shooting long range out to 1200 and occasional deer hunting, etc. Also want to have something that can flex for an out west hunting scope that I could hump on a bolt gun should I ever get an opportunity to hunt out west. Therefore weight is quite important and at 29OZ the NX8 seems like a good fit.

I have read some of the threads on the NX8 here and it seems like folks like them for AR builds. I know some have commented on eye box tightness so I am tracking that. Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated before I buy this thing.

Are there any other optics in this class that I should consider?

Thanks

The Eotech Vudu 3.5-18 FFP models also seem intriguing if anyone has played with them?

The Eotech Vudu 3.5-18 FFP models also seem intriguing if anyone has played with them?
Glass is dull to my eyes. Like the NF glass better. Clicks are a little meh but usable.

I had the 5-25 tho.
5-25 with a top mount red dot wouldn’t be the worst combo in the world.

Have you considered the leupold 3.6-18? Great glass and turrets. Had one for a little but had non illuminated Tremor 3 which sucks for hunting at low Mag. Nice scopes

I am a fan of the nf 2.5-20 even though a lot of people here aren’t.

96F890E2-E945-4E4A-8476-0EC4083ACA99.jpeg

Only pic I could find quick. You wouldn’t regret a k318 either.

• Love
Reactions: eugevita
Glass is dull to my eyes. Like the NF glass better. Clicks are a little meh but usable.

I had the 5-25 tho.
5-25 with a top mount red dot wouldn’t be the worst combo in the world.

Have you considered the leupold 3.6-18? Great glass and turrets. Had one for a little but had non illuminated Tremor 3 which sucks for hunting at low Mag. Nice scopes

I am a fan of the nf 2.5-20 even though a lot of people here aren’t.

View attachment 7596560

Thanks for the info and great looking rifles!

Have you found the eyebox on the NX8 to be a problem? Looks like yours is mounted on an AR of sorts, similar to what I plan to do. Sounds like you have like it which is encouraging.

I have considered the Leupold MK5 but not a fan of how much they charge for illumination and improved reticle, otherwise the MK5 would have been a great fit.

I do like the nx8. The parallax is a little finicky IE you have to adjust it more than some scopes. But maybe that is because the mag range is 2.5-20 instead of for example 2.5-10

I wouldn’t rule out the NF 2.5-10x42
4-14f1 would be a good budget option till you find the right one for you also.

I use both and like them for what they are.

I have the 2.5-20x50 with Mil-XT. It's my first non-ATACR scope and I really like it. The size and weight are good. Mine sits in a Larue mount and frankly it is my "Rover" optic going from my .22LR to the 6 ARC to whatever AR platform needs glass that day. I'm very pleased with it. It isn't as generous as the ATACR with field of view but its also smaller bodied. I think you'd be very happy with it.

One of the worst high dollar scopes I've had, sold it right after I finished the review. As for other optics, the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 and Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 performed far better optically. Another scope that performs better optically is the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18x44 series, great scopes. I'm assuming they are above your budget but all the alpha class ultra shorts perform far better than the NF NX8 - Kahles K318i, S&B US 3-20, ZCO 4-20.

I would recommend the Nightforce ATACR 4-16 before I'd recommend the NX8

For better or worst I ordered the NX8 2.5-20 with Mil-XT. I am optimistic that it will work well for my purpose on AR SPR style rifle but as with anything else if it does not work out I will switch things up. Thanks all!

Reactions: deersniper
I have the 2.5-20x50 with Mil-XT. It's my first non-ATACR scope and I really like it. The size and weight are good. Mine sits in a Larue mount and frankly it is my "Rover" optic going from my .22LR to the 6 ARC to whatever AR platform needs glass that day. I'm very pleased with it. It isn't as generous as the ATACR with field of view but its also smaller bodied. I think you'd be very happy with it.
Good to hear, my use will be similar hence I have ordered it : )

For better or worst I ordered the NX8 2.5-20 with Mil-XT. I am optimistic that it will work well for my purpose on AR SPR style rifle but as with anything else if it does not work out I will switch things up. Thanks all!
People told me the same stuff when I bought a 1-8 nx8. “The eye box is horrible.”
Well it’s not if you have decent fundamentals and a consistent cheek weld and I haven’t found a problem with it even pulling it up rushed, but some folks just love to hate nightforce. I liked it better than my gen 2 1-6. I would love to try a zco 420 for your application.

One thing I have noticed with short/compact high magnification scopes is that mounting height becomes much more critical in order to properly line your eye up behind the scope. I was recently tinkering with a new 1.5-15x March on an AR and thought the eyebox was complete crap initially. To the point I was a bit irritated with my purchase and even flirting with the idea of selling it at a loss.

Then, it occurred to me that it’s short enough I can mount it in scope rings instead of a 1.5” tall cantilever mount. Dropping the height from 1.5 inches, which is standard for most AR cantilever mounts, to just 1.375 inches was a dramatic improvement.

After this, every time I see someone talking about a finicky eye box, I have to wonder if they have the mounting height correct. With typical scopes you can get away with the scope being a little bit high or a little bit low, and never notice, but these compact high-magnification variable scopes are a new breed. Fortunately there are a lot of options now for mounts and rings.

PS - I have the big ATACR and have looked through all of the NX8 line and I am surprised anyone would put them in the same conversation as Burris. NX8 isn’t an ATACR, but the CA I’ve seen in Burris glass takes them out of the conversation for me. I’m kinda in the market for several optics and after playing with them at my local dealer, am considering one of each of the NX8’s. Will probably never buy another NXS unless it’s a 10x.

Reactions: deersniper
I am considering a NF NX8 2.5-20X and looking for impressions.
So I am glad you bump this thread.

I got an NX8 32 f1 for my AR 15.
Love the size, pretty unusable over 27 power, eye box is tight at higher mag. Yeah, the parallax is finicky. But it has been solid. Great p dog scope. I'd do it again.

I have one on my 6arc build. So far pretty happy with it. Need more time though