• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Considering an Expensive Scope

adavis1138

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
I’ve been debating new optics for a Sig Cross since moving my Polar to a 350 Legend AR earlier this year (MI hunting laws are dumb).

Currently I’m trying to justify something even worse for my wallet, e.g. a Tangent Theta, ZCO, or maybe the new March 1.5-15 that may or may not be any good.

Am I going to see a demonstrable return on with one of these over say, an ATACR or a Zeiss or something? Use will be shooting at scrub deer and targets out to 400 or so (again, Michigan).

All advice is appreciated.

I’ve been debating new optics for a Sig Cross since moving my Polar to a 350 Legend AR earlier this year (MI hunting laws are dumb).

Currently I’m trying to justify something even worse for my wallet, e.g. a Tangent Theta, ZCO, or maybe the new March 1.5-15 that may or may not be any good.

Am I going to see a demonstrable return on with one of these over say, an ATACR or a Zeiss or something? Use will be shooting at scrub deer and targets out to 400 or so (again, Michigan).

I have ZCO's and TT's and I love both of them. But, ZCO's accomplish 98% of what TT's do, at 25% or so less money. I have no plans on selling my TT's, but my next purchase would be a ZCO.

I have ZCO's and TT's and I love both of them. But, ZCO's accomplish 98% of what TT's do, at 25% or so less money. I have no plans on selling my TT's, but my next purchase would be a ZCO.
Interesting! The TT 3-15 Hunter seemed to be almost the exact same cost as a 4-20 ZCO from my searches. Link?

Tangent for sure. Buy once cry once. I’ve had Schmidt’s ZCO’s and tangents and I’ve had my tangent the longest and wouldnt buy anything but that. When it comes time to get a hunting rifle built again I’ll be picking up a tangent 3-15p. Spent some time behind the 3-15m wolf hunting and it is excellent.

If you don’t have issue spending the money that’s what I would recommend. @MOUNTIC is a dealer on here and is top notch.

Interesting! The TT 3-15 Hunter seemed to be almost the exact same cost as a 4-20 ZCO from my searches. Link?
I don't have any 3-15's, but I understand the ZCO version is extremely highly rated. That's not to say the TT isn't.

I'd bet you'd be happy with either. I tend to see both TT and ZCO as equals. Yes, TT seems to have slightly better glass, but not at the premium that they are asking (+ $1,000.00) on the 5-25/5-27.

They are both exceptional, there's no wrong decisions here.

Reactions: adavis1138

Personally, I don't think once you get over $3K you really have much of an appreciable difference to justify the price tag. Personal opinion. I have several $3K+ scopes, but I don't feel going much over $3K will net you any huge noticeable gains.

I would give a look to the Zeiss LRP S5 if you're looking into the ZCO/TT price range.

The NF ATACR F1 5-25x56 is a pretty solid scope. Parallax is off, but apparently that's a NF thing, and not just an ATACR thing.

If you don't mind dropping some real coin on a scope, the Kahels K525i DLR is a monster. I have several K series and they're excellent scopes!

Regular:

DLR model:

Reactions: dirtybores
For 400 yards I'd have trouble spending too much. It's 800+ where my better glass starts to really shine. 1500+ where is hugely evident.

Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't feel left out that you don't have a hugely expensive optic to shoot relatively short range.

Reactions: FuhQ
If only shooting out to 400 yards for hunting, I'd personally find it very difficult to justify spending more than $1500 on optics.

For hunting out to 400 yards, even the light weight Leupold VX5 HD ZL1 illuminated firedot duplex for around $1000 or less shopping smart would do just fine and have Leupold send you a free custom ballistic turret for your specific load. Leupold has a real lifetime warranty on their rifle scopes including their electronics/firedot reticle if an actual lifetime warranty plays an important role in your decision to buy.

Keep it simple that's quick and easy to see regarding hunting reticles.

Buying from return friendly dealers is also a huge plus in case you end up not being 100% satisfied.

If you're accident prone or treat your equipment really rough, buy a Vortex (probably Razor LHT) due to their unquestionably fantastic hassle free no questions asked VIP lifetime warranty and the fact that they pay for your shipping if you need anything to be sent in under their lifetime warranty.

The Tract Tekoa 4-16x44 with tall turret zero stop kit and sunshade for around $560 regular price before discount might surprise you as well and they have a money back guarantee too and a lifetime warranty. They're made in Japan and use German Schott glass comparable in optical clarity to the Leupold VX5 and clearer than the Vortex Razor LHT.

If only shooting out to 400 yards for hunting, I'd personally find it very difficult to justify spending more than $1500 on optics.

For hunting out to 400 yards, even the light weight Leupold VX5 HD ZL1 illuminated firedot duplex for around $1000 or less shopping smart would do just fine and have Leupold send you a free custom ballistic turret for your specific load. Leupold has a real lifetime warranty on their rifle scopes including their electronics/firedot reticle if an actual lifetime warranty plays an important role in your decision to buy.

Keep it simple that's quick and easy to see regarding hunting reticles.

Buying from return friendly dealers is also a huge plus in case you end up not being 100% satisfied.

If you're accident prone or treat your equipment really rough, buy a Vortex (probably Razor LHT) due to their unquestionably fantastic hassle free no questions asked VIP lifetime warranty and the fact that they pay for your shipping if you need anything to be sent in under their lifetime warranty.

The Tract Tekoa 4-16x44 with tall turret zero stop kit and sunshade for around $560 regular price before discount might surprise you as well and they have a money back guarantee too and a lifetime warranty. They're made in Japan and use German Schott glass comparable in optical clarity to the Leupold VX5 and clearer than the Vortex Razor LHT.
I get where you’re headed, but I’ve owned VX5 and LHT scopes in the past and they didn’t exactly inspire confidence in terms of build. My goal isn’t just to spend the most cash possible, but I do want a really reliable optic with excellent glass.

Reactions: FuhQ
I get where you’re headed, but I’ve owned VX5 and LHT scopes in the past and they didn’t exactly inspire confidence in terms of build. My goal isn’t just to spend the most cash possible, but I do want a really reliable optic with excellent glass.
Kahles K318i would be perfect for your needs if good glass, quality, and reliability are your main factors, since you are mostly wanting it for 0-400 yard hunting.

Reactions: simonp