• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Conversion or Dedicate Upper for AR-15

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
I bought my son a personalized RRA lower when he was 2 for Christmas. He's know almost 8, has been shooting a .22LR Kimber Hunter and my 10/22. He really wants to shoot "his" gun, but isn't ready for a .223 yet. Should I get a dedicated .22LR upper or a conversion for an existing 5.56? Have been looking at CMMG. Curious if any of you have had experience with either. I have read about the difference in bore diameter of a .223/5.56 in relation to a .22LR. My goal is to get him something that is accurate and reliable.

Re: Conversion or Dedicate Upper for AR-15

If you want the best accuracy, then a dedicated upper with a .22 rimfire bore is the way to go. Reliability has been about the same for me between my dedicated and my conversion.

I've heard great things about the Nordic uppers, if you can get one.

Seems like I looked into Nordic, and it didn't look like to me that it was compatible with a standard AR-15 lower, but I might be wrong. I'll look again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like I looked into Nordic, and it didn't look like to me that it was compatible with a standard AR-15 lower, but I might be wrong. I'll look again. </div></div>

Nordic is fully compatible with a standard AR-15 lower. They utilize Black Dog mags. They can be difficult to find as they sell out VERY quickly and since their release in July 2010 they have been almos perpetually "out of stock". The last time I checked they do not do backorders or any type of list. It's first come first served when the uppers come back in stock. Constant vigellance or complete dumb luck is one of the few ways I know to get one. It took me 6 months to acquire mine and in hindsight I like mine so much I wish I had bought 2 at the time!
grin.gif

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC22-Upper-Receiver-Assemblies_c21.htm

JP Enterprises and DPMS also have dedicated .22LR uppers that utilize the Nordic bolt design and I believe are made by Nordic. Good luck.

depends on your pocket book. i have a conversion kit and i love it. if you like to shoot your ar and want to stay used to the weight the conversion kit is the way to go.

I have the CMMG Conversion in my H-Bar and it will not run very well . CMMG told me it is because I have a timney trigger..swapped it into another AR I have with Mil-Spec Hammer/Trigger and it fails to hit hard enough to dent primer rim sometimes . sent it back to CMMG it was returned nothing wrong ?? maybe it needs to be ran more to get broke in ? but if I did it again I would have just bought the dedicated upper as I went with the more expensive India Kit

The Spikes dedicated upper I have has always worked fine and since it now has the Lothar Walther barrel it shoots quite accurately. I wouldn't really want all the leading of the barrel and fouling of the gas tube that you get with a conversion.

I appreciate all the info fella's. I'm still scratchin' my head a bit, but leaning hard towards a dedicated upper. I'm gonna' check on the Spikes, as I haven't looked at that one yet.

Had the spikes version of the conversion. It ran well accuracy was ok at best.

Then I went with the Nordic Components upper, and havent looked back. It runs like a top, and is much more accurate.

Good luck with your search.

AS

Love to get a nordic but they are never in stock so I think I will cough up the extra money and get the nordic/JP upper as it will dimensionally match the SPR I want to eventially build

I had a Nordic on order since April and gave up. I just got the DPMS upper. Nordic won't even give a eta. So far I have close to 1k though the DPMS w/o a jam. I used CCI/ELEY/WIN/Aguila/SK and Rem just to see if it would jam. At 50yds it will shoot under and inch and I have shot out to 200yds at steel. I got the one with a free floated handguard and an A2 on the end. I think I will change the handguard to add a little more weight to make it free more like my M4. Im so glad I got this. Finally save on ammo. Ill post a few pics later.

I had a conversion for a while and was never really satisfyed with it, it was reliable but not accurate enough and dirty.
Bought a dedicated upper and couldn't be happier, it is lighter, super accurate andtons of fun to shoot also while still being dirty but a bit easier to clean.
well worth the coin for me.

I would do a dedicated like the nordic. I have had shitty luck with several conversions I have tried.

I have a Nordic that slaps on any of my AR15 lowers. Great shooter and eats everything.

Have tried/had several variations and concludedthat IMHO the dedicated upper is the way to go if someone will use it a lot, and the budget allows. That way you wont have to deal with POI shift, filthy gas system from the .22, and the frequent feed problems common to most insert/kit conversion BCG's. You can start him on BUIS and add an optic later if desired without changing the regular upper.

Also spend some time figuring out what cheap ammo works well. I found the Spikes BCG and .22 barrel in a couple uppers loved the cheap Federal 510. CCI minimags were good in some other kits. Not nad performance from the minimag AR rimfire, but more expensive.