• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cost of spec M24 barrel and install

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'm currently lineing up a deal to buy a M24, but the barrel has been threaded. I want to put a M24 spec barrel back on and was wondering which would be the best barrel to buy (in order for it to a spec barrel I would think it would have to be from Remmington, corret me if I'm wrong) and how much it would cost to do the entire job (installation of the barrel from a gunsmith)? I want it to be to the "T" correct in every aspect.

any help or insight would greatly be appreciated.

kinnamon

Re: cost of spec M24 barrel and install

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm currently lineing up a deal to buy a M24, but the barrel has been threaded. I want to put a M24 spec barrel back on and was wondering which would be the best barrel to buy (in order for it to a spec barrel I would think it would have to be from Remmington, corret me if I'm wrong) and how much it would cost to do the entire job (installation of the barrel from a gunsmith)? I want it to be to the "T" correct in every aspect.

any help or insight would greatly be appreciated.

kinnamon </div></div>

The Barrell will have to be 416r stainless steel 24 inch 308 5R with 1/11.5 powder coated rim tough.

Couple of places to look

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/centerfire_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm
    http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx

You could always buy a 700 5R Mil Spec and take the barrel off and put it back on the M24. It would be the same thing

Originals were cut rifling; the current ones are hammer forged! I doubt you can get one of the hammerforged ones from Remington? The originals were done by Mike Rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originals were cut rifling; the current ones are hammer forged! I doubt you can get one of the hammerforged ones from Remington? The originals were done by Mike Rock. </div></div>

I noticed that they now say 1/11.5 where it use to be, and is on my 700ss, 1/11.25 I wonder why the change?

Not that it makes any difference but they used to be 1-11.27. I believe they were designed to be 1-11 but due to slipping of the cutter they ended up w/ 1-11...! Hammer forging maybe more precise???? They also state 5R as "Radial" but I have also seen it refered to as "Russian".

I think rock creek barrels still makes a model they call the ( m24/m40 ) barrel. but there website doesnt say much about it

The M24/M40 is still on the Rock Creek site and the dims are listed. Main diff between it and the AMU contour is AMU is 1" longer before the taper starts. Great barrels.