• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Could it be built, and would it work.

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Spent a few days reading articales on muzzle breaks and looking at designs. Seems on baffle brakes most gas leaves first baffle some in second and very little there after. Leaving one to think a 2-3 baffle design is as good as they get. More baffles is just looks, and marketing. The proof can be seen easy in night shots. Most of the flame is in first port and less in second. Now hole brakes like the visa bleed off alot of gas, but make a dust cloud when shooting prone. My interest is a slim design brake, two ports first larger second slightly smaller. Like a holland but same contour as Barrle. But on the shoulder of the brake threads for a cover like a Linear with only holes on the face, but the cap larger in diameter then the brake to give ample chamber affect? This should cut noise to the shooter dramatically making safe to use without hearing protection? Would this accually work. I guess this would be a linear design on steroids... End goal is a brake cut recoil by 40-50% without cap, then while hunting use cap to save ears get what reduction is? Thoughts

well could it be done, sure. would it cut sound enough not to use ear pro, maybe on a .22lr, but then were heading into "intention" territory which makes it an NFA part.

Well in no way am I wanting or trying to get that quite! As per sound level of the shield or cap, just enough to get to "regular rifle blast". What I'm looking for a brake I can practice with and makes long range sessions possible. The cap or shield would be for hunting and reduce blast to regular rifle level! I have take a few muzzle brake cracks to the ears and don't ever want that again. You guys hate listening to the ol lady till you can her her for real!!

Sounds like the cap would turn it into a suppressor IMO. The old Moderators that the military used on short barrelled 607 model M16s didn't reduce the noise level by that much, about to the level of a 20" rifle iirc, but they're still considered suppressors.

Last edited:
This is logical idea. It's been done very similarly by a few people. I have witnessed the Browning and Richard Buss versions and less than impressed. None were near as effective as a proper brake. Browning has made a couple versions. Matchgrade Machine has a closeable brake. The second link shows drawings for a bunch of them. A quick search of the actual patent office ought to come up with a bunch.

Closable-brake-disassembled

https://www.google.com/search?q=ric...DQAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=562&dpr=1.5

Why not just remove the brake for hunting? I don't see how it can be classed as a suppressor as it's just redirecting the sideways blast out the front, the same as if the brake was not there.

Why not just remove the brake for hunting? I don't see how it can be classed as a suppressor as it's just redirecting the sideways blast out the front, the same as if the brake was not there.

The ports may be considered baffles when covered by the cap. If it reduces the db level compared to a barrel without the brake/cap unit, the ATF might consider it a suppressor.

Removing the brake would probably be the best solution, maybe make a quick connect adapter similar to some of the suppressors so you can time your brake correctly, then remove and install it without tools.

Last edited: