• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

I don't think the question is whether the CDG action can handle that cartridge or not. The big question with the larger cartridges is if there's enough "meat" in the barrel shank and surface area on the lugs to adequately handle the pressure to prevent from pressuring out early.

My understanding (I'm not a gunsmith or ELR action designer), is that larger cartridges like the 33XC and up can show signs of pressure early in actions that have "undersized" lugs (for the cartridge) and thin shank walls around the chamber.

It's not so much a matter of if the CDG can handle a 33XC, but more so if the CDG can adequately handle the cartridge without showing early pressure signs.
I understand where your coming from. Most issues with pressure while using the 1-1/16" tenon are from barrels utilizing a barrel nut, at least from my research. I plan on running a 1.2" straight bull on my future build. I am actually half tempted to try and get a lapua bolt for my defiance action and build off of it. I am not sure I will be using the CDG for that build. I just wanted a confirmation from ARC.
I still plan on getting one either way. For what who knows. I am never satisfied with what I have and always want something else to try out.

Reactions: lash and kthomas
So what companies who have confirmed they were doing pre fits? Can’t seem to find it in this monster thread.

Proof stated they were not planning on it at this time.
Yeah, they told me the same thing. Prefered barrel blanks has the cdg listed on their site under the mousingfield/nuke tab as an option. Been meaning to ask for sure that they are doing conical breachs for this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210_150151_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_150151_Gmail.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Sad
Reactions: S3th
I understand where your coming from. Most issues with pressure while using the 1-1/16" tenon are from barrels utilizing a barrel nut, at least from my research. I plan on running a 1.2" straight bull on my future build. I am actually half tempted to try and get a lapua bolt for my defiance action and build off of it. I am not sure I will be using the CDG for that build. I just wanted a confirmation from ARC.
I still plan on getting one either way. For what who knows. I am never satisfied with what I have and always want something else to try out.

Barrel nuts would certainly exasperate the issue given how limited you are on contour width.

A 1.2" straight would certainly give you a better opportunity for success, IMO. But I don't have any experience with a 33XC to be able to say with any confidence if your plan will work well or not.

Yeah, they told me the same thing. Prefered barrel blanks has the cdg listed on their site under the mousingfield/nuke tab as an option. Been meaning to ask for sure that they are doing conical breachs for this.
I usually shoot Prefered barrels once i know for sure about the conical breach I'll be getting a 22in 7-300prc barrel for my cdg

Reactions: githop
This thing is beautiful but I’m curious, what metal was this action manufactured from?
Although not directly stated on the ARC website, the Mausingfield page says the receiver body is 4340. I would bet all his actions are the same steel.

Personally, I like he has not gone the stainless route...give me that tough steel with nitride all day long.

Reactions: lash and rijndael
Do it up! I’m just debating on 33 vs 37. 33 definitely has more projectile options
Definitely gotta save up for this one. Wife won't give me a PO right now lol. Plus my local range only goes to 250. Trying to get into a place that has a 400 yd target. But to really do the 33 XC justice I gotta drive almost 4 hrs.

Reactions: 7mmShooter
When using the coup action to build a 223, do you think that this magpul mag will work with the coup action.

Definitely gotta save up for this one. Wife won't give me a PO right now lol. Plus my local range only goes to 250. Trying to get into a place that has a 400 yd target. But to really do the 33 XC justice I gotta drive almost 4 hrs.
Yeah it’ll be a bit before I build my 37, luckily there’s a range within 3hrs of me that can stretch 2k+

Was reading some mixed reviews on them, mostly older but some newer ones also, hows your experience?
I had an issue with my 224 valkyrie barrel with the shank threads being out of tolerance took a lot of back and forth with one of there cs reps that swore that my action was out of spec and not there barrel but finally got them to make it right. That one and the 308 win barrel I have shoot .5 moa groups for me. I don't believe the guy I talked to is there anymore saw someplace that alot of people had issues with his attitude.

Reactions: padfoot 37
I had an issue with my 224 valkyrie barrel with the shank threads being out of tolerance took a lot of back and forth with one of there cs reps that swore that my action was out of spec and not there barrel but finally got them to make it right. That one and the 308 win barrel I have shoot .5 moa groups for me. I don't believe the guy I talked to is there anymore saw someplace that alot of people had issues with his attitude.
Cool, so they are decent now? Someone said their barrels didnt last very long. Idk if it was true or just a carbon ring or what.

Cool, so they are decent now? Someone said their barrels didnt last very long. Idk if it was true or just a carbon ring or what.
I'm not for sure on that I'm only shooting 308win and 224 valkyrie both of which have long barrel life's and I'm at most at maybe 600 rounds on the 224 and 300 on the 308

That magpul 223 mag looks interesting, I wonder if the feed lips are wide enough for the bottom bolt lug to pass through.
Thats what i was also thinking about. Also this mag has offset feed lips. I looked on the Magpul sight and they show it inserted into a Terminus action.

Last edited:
Thats what i was also thinking about. Also this mag is offset like a AW mag. I looked on the Magpul sight and they show it inserted into a Terminus action.
We tried the MDT 223 polymer mag and it did not work with the Coup De Grâce action so I am not sure if the Magpul mag would work. We recommend for 223 Rem and 5.56x45 NATO, use metal Accurate Mag 00100-0037 (10 round) and -0038 (5 round)

Reactions: lash and Tokay444
We are waiting on one more barrel to come in so we can verify the conical breach configuration. As soon as we have it we will release the barrel drawing.

While everyone in the shop is busy making action parts Ted has been busy on a open top/lightweight design of the Coup De Grâce. I think you guys will love it.

We are waiting on one more barrel to come in so we can verify the conical breach configuration. As soon as we have it we will release the barrel drawing.

While everyone in the shop is busy making action parts Ted has been busy on an open top/lightweight design of the Coup De Grâce. I think you guys will love it.
I’m not sure my wife’s bank account can handle me buying another action… oh well, I’ll just tell her I bought it for her, then when she says she doesn’t want one, I’ll fall on the sword and just have to keep it for myself…. Works great on Christmas too, just buy everyone the things I want, and when they look disappointed, just tell them fine, I’ll take it back, then at least one of us is happy.. LOL :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: giumau1

While everyone in the shop is busy making action parts Ted has been busy on a open top/lightweight design of the Coup De Grâce. I think you guys will love it.

Waiting patiently

We tried the MDT 223 polymer mag and it did not work with the Coup De Grâce action so I am not sure if the Magpul mag would work. We recommend for 223 Rem and 5.56x45 NATO, use metal Accurate Mag 00100-0037 (10 round) and -0038 (5 round)
You guys should try the new MDT metal 223 ... works much better than the polymer

While everyone in the shop is busy making action parts Ted has been busy on an open top/lightweight design of the Coup De Grâce. I think you guys will love it.
What weight will the lightweight version be?

So what companies who have confirmed they were doing pre fits? Can’t seem to find it in this monster thread.

Proof stated they were not planning on it at this time.
Ordered my prefit from carbon six. They do ARC profits, just called in and told them I want it for the coup de grace. Gene said they’re just waiting for ARC to send them drawings so by the time they’re ready to cut the barrel they should have the drawings.

Ordered my prefit from carbon six. They do ARC profits, just called in and told them I want it for the coup de grace. Gene said they’re just waiting for ARC to send them drawings so by the time they’re ready to cut the barrel they should have the drawings.
They make good barrels? Sorry, im pretty new to barrel brands and such. Mostly know bartlein and heart and they both shoot great. Short of a custom barrel fitted to my action idk what brand prefit is a good bet for amazing accuracy for this action.

They make good barrels? Sorry, im pretty new to barrel brands and such. Mostly know bartlein and heart and they both shoot great. Short of a custom barrel fitted to my action idk what brand prefit is a good bet for amazing accuracy for this action.
They guarantee 1/2 moa. I’ve heard lots of good things but haven’t shot one personally. Gene has been great to deal with though.

Reactions: CaptNkllm
With the pivoting handle equipped action is there a recommended trigger. Or if I choose to run a Bix’n Andy At 12-16oz. Will it work.

With the pivoting handle equipped action is there a recommended trigger. Or if I choose to run a Bix’n Andy At 12-16oz. Will it work.
It was stated that the lightly set bix’n Andy and the light TT diamonds could benefit from the fixed handle due to possible light sear engagement. Do not quote me though, as I’m just going by memory. It is mentioned in this thread though if you want to use advanced search.

I seen that and is in the video. Questioning it as you can set sear engagement on the bix n andy. I have 4 of them and would like to keep running one. I prefer 12oz as my low.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do 300 norma or 338 norma for my 2nd barrel for my long action I ordered. My first barrel is a 7mm-300 prc shooting 180s.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do 300 norma or 338 norma for my 2nd barrel for my long action I ordered. My first barrel is a 7mm-300 prc shooting 180s.
300 Norma, 338 Lapua ai, 37xc

In whichever order you see fit

I'd imagine that out of all the triggers you could possibly fit to the CDG, the Bix n Andy TacSport Pro will be the most likely to get running because they come with 3 or 4 different thicknesses of sears to enable custom fitting to most any action. The Bix n Andy triggers are also supposed to be fairly unaffected by firing pin spring force, similar to the triggertech triggers.
The TacSport Pro is the way I'm gonna go anyhow.