• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

So if a guy already has a Shoulderless prefit he wants to use at first it will still be 100% safe, but feeding may be compromised?
I 2nd this question. I have a Nuc 1 6GT pre-fit sitting here... Can I drop it in a CDG?

@karagias

Hey Ted, I’m going to try like hell to pull off ordering one of these. It looks amazing. But, I have to dig out of a Christmas vacation hell a little bit. I have a question. Is the CDG with its crf bolt head able to single feed rounds? I’m kinda looking at building a “do-a-lot” rifle out of this and if it’s single feed-able that will go a long way to my goal

@karagias

Hey Ted, I’m going to try like hell to pull off ordering one of these. It looks amazing. But, I have to dig out of a Christmas vacation hell a little bit. I have a question. Is the CDG with its crf bolt head able to single feed rounds? I’m kinda looking at building a “do-a-lot” rifle out of this and if it’s single feed-able that will go a long way to my goal

All his other actions do and looking at the design I’m going to say yes

I've got a 700 LTR that's bone stock and a good shooter but I was going to rebarrel it this year for a faster twist and now I'm wondering if I should just unload it and build on one of these.

I've got visions of a 20" 308 in a whiskey3 folder and this action running through my head.

Barrels for the Coup De Grâce

We will be working with barrel manufacturers to make pre-fits available. I know many of you really like Proof and for good reasons. Consequently, they are a large blip on our radar. We will also reach out to others, all of which are well known and highly regarded. Shot Show is next week and that offers us a great opportunity to work with these guys.

The use of a barrel nut is possible on just about any bolt action. The Coup De Grâce is no exception. Using a nut is up to you and I don’t want to start a nut debate because this is not the thread for that. Suffice it to say, that countless great shooting rifles have been built with nuts and without.

Over the next three or four weeks, we will be testing actions from an initial batch of about 200. During that time, we will make more information available about barreling the actions. I wish I could better address your barrel concerns now, but I’d like to wait until I have better information and higher confidence.

Ted

Pre-orders

Initially, we were going to get some actions on the shelf before taking orders but because many of you have requested pre-ordering, we’re now considering this. If we do it, we’re going to take full payment rather than just a deposit because it’s easier for us to do so. Easy is important because it saves time and given the level of interest you guys are expressing, we’re going to need that time. Once we’re confident that we won’t disappoint you, we may take pre-orders. Not 100% sure yet.

Ted

Pre-orders

If we do it, we’re going to take full payment rather than just a deposit because it’s easier for us to do so.
Me sad. Hoping this isn't the case. How about a non-refundable deposit instead? Didn't really plan the financials to build a bolt rifle until 2024 or later unless I win Mega Millions tonight. :)

Me sad. Hoping this isn't the case. How about a non-refundable deposit instead? Didn't really plan the financials to build a bolt rifle until 2024 or later unless I win Mega Millions tonight. :)

It's not like this is a 1 time offering, if you don't have the funds for it now, you could always just buy it later when you have the funds at whatever the then current price is.

I suspect these will be made for at the very least several years.

It's not like this is a 1 time offering, if you don't have the funds for it now, you could always just buy it later when you have the funds at whatever the then current price is.

I suspect these will be made for at the very least several years.
The intro price sounds to be 1 time offering to me? If I miss it due to lack of financials (boss lady says NO credit card use for recreational stuff) I'll buy a different action instead that has PRS member discounts available. ☹️
I have 8 weeks to try to dig up 1k somewhere for this.

Not sure yet. A hunting version is planned and Oberndorf/BDL might be possible, especially with magnums. That's a discussion for the future.

Ted

This is what I was wanting to know. If you can get the weight down to 25-28 oz area, It’d be the only action I’d buy.

Reactions: moxford
The intro price sounds to be 1 time offering to me? If I miss it due to lack of financials (boss lady says NO credit card use for recreational stuff) I'll buy a different action instead that has PRS member discounts available. ☹️

$899

I'll bet they are still cheaper than whatever "PRS discount" you are getting on a similar quality action, even at a later date.

Since it seems according to your statement that your wife controls most of the finances, have an honest discussion with your wife about your plans and why you think buying this action now will save you a fair bit of money down the road on your build. You can also discuss that you are pretty much sure to get at least your money back if not a bit more if you wind up needing to sell it sometime down the road if you don't wind up doing the build or finances become tight.

The action is an important part of the build but the rest of the costs will probably be much more than the action itself is. So it might be a good time for you and the wife to do some financial planning together about things that you both want.

You may have other odds and ends of extra stuff you are unlikely to need or use that you can discuss selling to fund the action. You can sell a fair bit of good priced stuff on the PX in a month or two or even 3 (because if you time it right the CC bill would come due about a month after you do payment).

If funds are that tight, then perhaps waiting and saving up is more important for your financial situation rather than jumping on an amazing deal on something you want but don't yet need.

$899

I'll bet they are still cheaper than whatever "PRS discount" you are getting on a similar quality action, even at a later date.

Since it seems according to your statement that your wife controls most of the finances,

Ouch. I know call me poor. I'm at $970 with taxes and transfer so I rounded up.

Boss lady is smart. Smart enough that mortgage will be paid off before our mid 40's. Guns are a hobby to us. I just finished my Tuebor bolt build 11 months ago. 6 ARC build for PRS Gas class later this month. Already finding excuses to buy this action. I like deals. Just bad timing since I'm saving up for more K&M classes or one of Frank's classes. Damn hobby is my drug.

Reactions: Farmerboy78
sounds like you need a second job to suport your hobbies

Curious if br based rounds will feed from aw mags without spacers/mag kits.Given 6:00 lug and coned breech?

No, it sounds like he as appropriately set his financial priorities to recognize what's a hobby and what's a priority.
Enough GIF - Enough - Discover & Share GIFs

Taking full payment is the right call. Much easier to deal with come shipping time. More than twice the work to do a deposit and then chase people around for money come shipping time. If you need layaway, now isn't the time for a custom build. Walmart has layaway on Tikkas (or something) and they'll work fine.

Curious if br based rounds will feed from aw mags without spacers/mag kits.Given 6:00 lug and coned breech?
From my limited experience with AX mags and BR length cases I'd say no action can prevent nosediving without the spacer or at minimum loading all rounds far forward in the mag. The BR rounds will nosedive before they ever get out of the mag and get to the action, feed ramps or breach.

Am I the only one that loves the action design but hates the name?

while it may very well be the “Coup”, all the other ARC action names i liked.
No offense, but this stamped on the side would literally make me think twice about owning one. This action is too awesome for this name.
And I did buy two of your first Nucleus Gen 1s.
love your stuff Ted, but that’s a head scratcher.

Last edited:

No offense, but this stamped on the side would literally make me think twice about owning one. This action is too awesome for this name.
thats a nice action, is it French?

Was about to purchase an action other than ARC due to the fact I already have a SA and LA Nucleus Gen1 and Archimedes but now that I saw this thread I'm going to buy a CDG for a 7 SAUM build. My only wish is if ARC can make a Ti Action or heavily lightened one (sub 26oz).

Reactions: SaxtonPope
Was about to purchase an action other than ARC due to the fact I already have a SA and LA Nucleus Gen1 and Archimedes but now that I saw this thread I'm going to buy a CDG for a 7 SAUM build. My only wish is if ARC can make a Ti Action or heavily lightened one (sub 26oz).

Ted said a lighter weight hunting one is in the works but not part of the initial release.

• Love
Reactions: S3th
Im not sure I am loving that trigger hanger setup, while the design is definitely out of the box not sure about one screw holding the hanger from moving.
Also the trigger pins that key into the slots in the receiver, can this mechanical connection become worn
and have issues allowing trigger movement? Two screws seems much less prone to issues and less machine time.

Why don't you like the name? If it rubs you the wrong way, I'd like to know why. Always appreciate shared thoughts.

Ted

Reactions: Jason.N
Im not sure I am loving that trigger hanger setup, while the design is definitely out of the box not sure about one screw holding the hanger from moving.
Also the trigger pins that key into the slots in the receiver, can this mechanical connection become worn
and have issues allowing trigger movement? Two screws seems much less prone to issues and less machine time.
Forward motion is constrained by both the forward set screw and the aft socket head cap screw. Pins can't wear out the receiver because they don't move with respect to it unless you're in the process of making an adjustment. You'll never make enough adjustments to wear out a receiver or the pins.

Ted

Did this action always have this name through development or was that a change based on certain other manufacturers’ changes?

Why don't you like the name? If it rubs you the wrong way, I'd like to know why. Always appreciate shared thoughts.

Ted

Reactions: Old-Cat
Barrels for the Coup De Grâce

We will be working with barrel manufacturers to make pre-fits available. I know many of you really like Proof and for good reasons. Consequently, they are a large blip on our radar. We will also reach out to others, all of which are well known and highly regarded. Shot Show is next week and that offers us a great opportunity to work with these guys.

The use of a barrel nut is possible on just about any bolt action. The Coup De Grâce is no exception. Using a nut is up to you and I don’t want to start a nut debate because this is not the thread for that. Suffice it to say, that countless great shooting rifles have been built with nuts and without.

Over the next three or four weeks, we will be testing actions from an initial batch of about 200. During that time, we will make more information available about barreling the actions. I wish I could better address your barrel concerns now, but I’d like to wait until I have better information and higher confidence.

Ted
How do I get in on one of these 200 as a beta tester? 😉