• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

I think my understanding of "cock on open" like a Mauser and "cock on close" like an Enfield are different than the same phrases being discussed here.

-Stan

Yeah it is. Cdg is a cock on open action.
When you’re settled in in target and close the bolt you want that action to disrupt the rifle as little as possible. It’s over and under cocking that they are talking about. An enfield cock on close would have you torquing on the rifle disrupting sight picture after building a solid position.

This is what I understood.

The phrase "cock on close," when used outside of describing an Enfield, seems to be shorthand for "I feel bumps made by portions of my trigger hitting portions of my bolt when I close said bolt."

-Stan
It’s feeling that the bolt didn’t fully pull the firing pin back far enough in its relation the the pin sear and the lugs, or that the trigger is too far back. So when you close the bolt you have to overcome that spring pressure as the firing pin is caught by the trigger but the lugs are forward enough to rotate closed with muscles. Move the trigger forward or the firing pin sear back and you change where that relationship occurs and eliminate any bumps or weird forcings.

It’s feeling that the bolt didn’t fully pull the firing pin back far enough in its relation the the pin sear and the lugs, or that the trigger is too far back. So when you close the bolt you have to overcome that spring pressure with muscles. Move the trigger forward or the firing pin sear back and you change where that relationship occurs and eliminate any bumps or weird forcings.
Thank you.

-Stan

Do you look at your rifle, or do you shoot it?
1684278692419.jpeg

What kind of barrel/ caliber is that and how much room is left between the scope and the barrel?

I must have misread something earlier on this thread that the CDG can cock on close
But who wants cock on close when it's designed to 100% cock on open? I grew up hunting with a sporterized eddystone 30-06 that someone reamed out to 300wm and modified the bolt face. That rifle had ALL the cock on close, like literally 100% cock on close. The Enfield/springfield surplus 30-06 we had one the farm were the same way. Thank God things have progressed light years. That like comparing an AIT grad to a retarded chimp.

There was a CAD file on the ARC website a few days ago with a model of the inlet.
I sent that file to Spuhr to ask them about the fit of their SICS chassis. This was their reply:
"As the SICS is designed for use with the AICS magazines (not AIAW) you will have to use the ARC optional forward hard stop piece. Also, the trigger hanger of the action will collide with the front wall of the trigger guard pocket (see pictures below) but not more so than that it should be easy to remedy with a few file strokes on the trigger hanger and/or the front wall of the pocket:"
SICS_CDG_1.png

SICS_CDG_2.png

Awesome, you beat me to it!
Did you need to alter the mag latch to make it work with the AW Mag?
Nope
What kind of barrel/ caliber is that and how much room is left between the scope and the barrel?
Patriot Valley Arms Osprey
308win 18" Proof Competition contour.
There's about 0.030" of clearance between the barrel and the scope. A 0.025" gauge pin I have will fit with a tiny bit of wiggle.

There was a CAD file on the ARC website a few days ago with a model of the inlet.
I sent that file to Spuhr to ask them about the fit of their SICS chassis. This was their reply:
"As the SICS is designed for use with the AICS magazines (not AIAW) you will have to use the ARC optional forward hard stop piece. Also, the trigger hanger of the action will collide with the front wall of the trigger guard pocket (see pictures below) but not more so than that it should be easy to remedy with a few file strokes on the trigger hanger and/or the front wall of the pocket:"
View attachment 8143029
View attachment 8143030
Hi javemtr!

This is excellent info! I'm super glad you let us know a step model existed on the ARC website!!

I'm really looking for the LA version, but I could probably cut and stretch this model to match the length of a Rem 700 LA and would be 90% of the way there.

Thanks again for letting us all know (and especially thanks to Ted @karagias for providing the model)!!

(edited) BTW, the little interference shown in the images you provided may not actually be a problem for you. The trigger hanger has the ability to slide fore/aft and, I believe, the CAD model provided by ARC includes the maximum displacement in the size of the trigger hanger (which, I also believe, is why the front set screw (conical fastener) appears to be oval shaped). So, unless you have the trigger hanger positioned as far forward as it'll go you'll probably be ok.

Last edited:
Range report: After break in at 25 yards (this is all I have available right now); 10 rounds absolutely mulched a 1/4" sticker off a tripod. Using Sig Marksman 168gr HPBT ammo. Ill soon stretch its legs out farther on my vacation.
20230517_175458.jpg
one thing I did notice is sometimes the cases will have extractor marks on the case head from when the bolt is rotated up. Out of the 40 rounds I shot, about 12 casings had these extractor marks.

Attachments

• 20230517_171528.jpg
    20230517_171528.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 95
Range report: After break in at 25 yards (this is all I have available right now); 10 rounds absolutely mulched a 1/4" sticker off a tripod. Using Sig Marksman 168gr HPBT ammo. Ill soon stretch its legs out farther on my vacation. one thing I did notice is sometimes the cases will have extractor marks on the case head from when the bolt is rotated up. Out of the 40 rounds I shot, about 12 casings had these extractor marks.
Are the marks from the extractor or the cutout for the ejector? I get some marks on brass from the cutout on the ejector. Has sort of a sharp edge.

I don’t understand how the extractor can mark the face of the case head, when it sits in the extractor groove.

Reactions: st1650
No the marks are semi circles on the head face. I sadly don't have any photos of the brass. But I'll get some soon.

I don’t understand how the extractor can mark the face of the case head, when it sits in the extractor groove.

This.

I'm not sure what you are describing. Sounds like you are describing the round ejector plungers used other actions. The ARC uses a slot with a blade.

Here's my brass after first range trip. Not a mark on anything. All virgin brass.
FGMM 168 = 2659
44.0 - 44.8 Varget 169 smk in RWS brass with BR-4 = 2743 - 2767
44.4 Varget/168TMK RWS = 2761
44.4 Varget/168TMK MAI (Norma) with unknown primer (Ruag likely) = 2798

IMG_7692.jpg

Awesome, you beat me to it!
Did you need to alter the mag latch to make it work with the AW Mag?
I ordered a new mag latch today, it seems that it depends on when your Xylo was produced. If the mag latch measures 2" it is old style and needs to be altered or replaced. Mine was shipped in 2020 and required a newer latch.

I ordered a new mag latch today, it seems that it depends on when your Xylo was produced. If the mag latch measures 2" it is old style and needs to be altered or replaced. Mine was shipped in 2020 and required a newer latch.
My Xylo was also 2020. The mag latch is fine with the AW mags.

The old style Xylo does need to be cut for the trigger hanger though.

IMG_7684.jpg

I have a 2021 and I had previously shortened the latch for my 22. Bought another latch thinking I would need it for the CDG and ended up not needing it. Feed perfect as is.

Reactions: st1650
My Xylo was also 2020. The mag latch is fine with the AW mags.

The old style Xylo does need to be cut for the trigger hanger though.

View attachment 8143931
Hmmm interesting, mine just opposite hanger fine w/ very old Triggertech Diamond, 2" latch is too long. What trigger are you using?
I have put together a mock-up with parts on hand, flat breech barrel nut, Xylo, TT Diamond etc to get an Idea of balance and appearance.
I now have 2-2" mag-latch now waiting on another from ARC. Can anyone tell me the measurement for one that fits so I can make one and possibly shoot this weekend?

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting, mine just opposite hanger fine w/ very old Triggertech Diamond, 2" latch is too long. What trigger are you using?
I have put together a mock-up with parts on hand, flat breech barrel nut, Xylo, TT Diamond etc to get an Idea of balance and appearance.
I now have 2-2" mag-latch now waiting on another from ARC. Can anyone tell me the measurement for one that fits so I can make one and possibly shoot this weekend?
I’ve got a Huber in mine. Hanger had to be notched & rear hanger screw beveled. Covered this a few pages back.

I had a Nuke running AICS in the Xylo originally. Ted set up the CDG so when installed it will run AW’s with the std latch.
ARC stated that you’d need a shorter mag latch only if you plan to run AICS with the CDG. It would also be best to install the front mag stop tab included with the CDG if AICS is what you’ll be running.

Edit: Just FYI the hanger cleared at the back of the pocket or so I thought. Apparently when I torqued the recoil lug wedge it was shifting the hanger forward .006
I’d set it for zero cock on close, torque it in and it had .006 decock on close. Took me a few minutes to figure out it was just barely touching at the back. Cut the little relief at back pictured above & now zero cock on close with a little extra room in case I change triggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: evilsemaj
I’ve got the same issue, glad to hear it’s got an easy resolution

Any word on long actions , I'm told im very early on the list but still haven't heard when they will run them , figured someone might know and I don't wanna bother them when they have so many to make.

Reactions: pingunit
Reactions: lash and giumau1
And don't forget the SA lefties are they before or after the LA?

Search on here is a joke . Plus I tried that , no results that were relevant . Thanks for half helping though.
It works though, if you have half a clue. And it works well. To try is not good enough. One must succeed.

Oh, and he completely helped. He answered your question, as it was asked. You’re welcome. 😉

Reactions: githop