• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce, New Action from American Rifle Company, $899 WOW!

I'm wondering how much torque it takes to move the shoulder. You know to change the headspace.
At 150ft/lbs, I have to size factory Lapua, Alpha, and Peterson brass .001” to chamber. At 80lbs they all chambered. That doesn’t meant the barrel has moved a thou. That’s just the minimum adjustment on my die.

You’d literally be compressing steel so….. a lot.
Stretching. The barrel stretches. The receiver is much harder than the barrel. That’s not to say there is zero deformation, but anything noticeable is in the barrel.

Is the general consensus that pivoting or non-pivoting bolt handles are preferred?

I played with a pivoting one and couldn’t really tell any appreciable difference in bolt lift or extraction, but they were not over-pressure loads.

Under normal operation they will operate pretty much the same but in the event of an over pressure would you rather pull harder against your shoulder or have to beat your bolt handle open on a table?

Is the general consensus that pivoting or non-pivoting bolt handles are preferred?

I played with a pivoting one and couldn’t really tell any appreciable difference in bolt lift or extraction, but they were not over-pressure loads.

I like the pivoting handle.

The other advantage is for when you hear the beeep & turn into an animal. It’s a shock absorber for your bolt stop.

Almost ready... last step is final testing and branding at the Natl Proof House.
The trigger is local to me, made by my gunsmith, Flavio Farè "Veloce" trigger in its competition config (no BR no safety) single stage set at 8 oz. Bruno SS sells them in the US, for the record. Fits like a glove and works flawlessly. IBI MTU+1 or 'Viking' contour, chambered in 6 Dasher, Alpha legacy reamer .154 fb. TMB brake. Super pumped about this build.
CDG BA.jpg
CDG BA 2.jpg

Idk I was so excited to get it all together with the new barrel I never tried it. Another member here is using a savage style with 6.5CM though and he said it was feeding fine.
Cool
I’m a life long Mauser Addict we’ll almost my lifetime 40 years worth
I love the 6.5 Mauser it’s only rival was the 6.5 Swede for decades upp decade until someone at Remington was visited by little gray men with the plans for one or the most underrated calibers ever designed the .260 Remington.It has a cult following and it is one of the best of the 6.5mm/.264 family of cartridge’s.
I currently have a Fn Belgian Sporter made for the commercial market and a Zastava also made for the commercial market. The Fn is the beauty of the pair.It sports a really clean European Beech stock and the Zastava has a walnut colored stock I’m guessing some sort of Russian Hardwood???
But both are tack drivers especially with hand loads for both. Keep us updated if you get one up and going.They are a joy to shoot and even better in the field

Reactions: lash
Hi Sentinel!

Perfect! Thank you very much for the photos!!

Your rifle sure is sweet!!! Did you order the standard Remington 700 chassis or their R7 chassis (apparently the R7 adds more clearance for the charging bolt handle )? When you fold the stock does it clear the charging bolt handle without any interference? I'm dying to get mine on order!

Thanks for your time and help!

Edited to remove my stupid AR15 mistake. :rolleyes::LOL:
It's a Lite Competition chassis, 700 LA with 3.850 mag well. The luxurious brown color is Stealth Shadow Vortex, looks even better in person than it does in most pics on the web.

It does not fold and capture the bolt handle as is, perhaps a different knob and or sweeping the handle a bit (maybe both) would allow it to though.

Reactions: pingunit
It's a Lite Competition chassis, 700 LA with 3.850 mag well. The luxurious brown color is Stealth Shadow Vortex, looks even better in person than it does in most pics on the web.

It does not fold and capture the bolt handle as is, perhaps a different knob and or sweeping the handle a bit (maybe both) would allow it to though.
Hi Sentinel!

Thanks for the info! Would you mind providing a photo of where the interference is located with the folding stock and the knob/handle? I'm working with Jamie from Cadex to try to get my order sorted out and he's very interested in any potential issues that may prevent the CDG from being used with their chassis (since they don't have any to try themselves. Yet.).

I must admit I was a bit skeptical of some of the aesthetic design aspects of the action from early diagrams, but the action turned out to be really nice.

Hell of a deal for the current price, very feature rich. Ted should do well with this.

Curious to see what the long term reports on feeding reliability turn out to be. I'm not sure about the design decision to go with AW mags when the R700 footprint world is designed around AICS mags.

Reactions: mkmckinley
Did you send your action to SPR or order it as a pre-fit?

I have a barrel on order from SPR as a pre-fit and their disclaimer that if the drawing didn't fit the action any fix will cost me gave me pause. It would be confidence inspiring if I knew they were turning out good barrels off the drawing alone and without having the action to fit the barrels.

I get what you are saying and don’t disagree, but I offer this. Any top supplier would prefer to have an action (or two) in hand and some experience with it before concluding that tolerances held are good or not good enough to commit their potential time and money to repair/redo things caused by factors out of their control.

Plus, at least in my case, the action by itself doesn’t do me much good without a barrel hanging on it. Added benefit of having action sent directly to a barrel smith is then they have solid measurements of your personal action and can send another barrel anytime.

ETA: even PVA had to address this.
As an update to my July response above regarding SPS (Bugholes) and their barrel fit disclaimer. I order a barrel from them earlier this month. I called and talked to Russ. I was going to have my CDG long action sent to them so they could fit the barrel.

He asked if I was going to have them do the full build or just the barrel. Since it was just the barrel, he told me that they were good to go with the CDG since they now had experience with it and know that Ted really holds to his tolerances. He told me that it’s better that they don’t have another action up there just for fit that isn’t needing a full SPS build.

Points to take away from this in my view are; calling and talking to a barrel maker before placing an order is never a bad idea, and ARC does have a good reputation for holding to their prints. Yes, they do have a reputation and history of making slight changes to details they discover after first release. Even that is a good thing in my opinion. It shows that they listen closely to what their customers are saying and evaluate need a change. Then they implement changes that should happen. More companies could be like them and I’d be happy.

I'm not sure about the design decision to go with AW mags when the R700 footprint world is designed around AICS mags.
I think it’s fair to question their decision despite my personal preference for AW mags in short action. From what people are saying so far though, it would seem that as long as you have the correct mag catch in a bottom metal, the AICS mags seem to be feeding and working fine in a variety of stocks.

From another perspective, while it’s a risk, I admire Ted’s commitment to this preference and just perhaps it will drive the market a bit if the results continue to be positive. I think that it’s only a matter of time before someone else comes out with a solid competition for the AW magazine market.

Curious to see what the long term reports on feeding reliability turn out to be. I'm not sure about the design decision to go with AW mags when the R700 footprint world is designed around AICS mags.

I'm using AICS mags. I have too many of them laying around and I'm not interested in buying AW mags. It's working fine.

I’m using the XYLO with CDG and AW mags and haven’t had any issues. That said, I can’t throw in an AICS as it won’t work. The forward corners of the mags hit on the action and prevent it from locking in. I think I need a spacer or different mag latch for AICS mags?

I’m using the XYLO with CDG and AW mags and haven’t had any issues. That said, I can’t throw in an AICS as it won’t work. The forward corners of the mags hit on the action and prevent it from locking in. I think I need a spacer or different mag latch for AICS mags?
Yes, as mentioned here by ARC and a few others. Contact ARC and you can purchase the longer mag latch for AICS.

Reactions: giumau1

IMO you might have more fiddling to do trying to set the CDG up for single stack AICS mags than you will running AW mags; getting the height right, possibly having to install the AICS mag stop tab at the front of the magwell, etc.

The larger diameter bolt and 6 o'clock lug in the bolt head in the CDG is better optimized for stripping cartridges out of a double stack AW mag than a regular 2 lug Remington 700 with a smaller diameter bolt.

The CDG also has the proper stops for an AW mag cut into the action, so no worries about over inserting the magazine and stopping the bolt. Get your mag latch height correct so the AW mag is held up to the stops in the action and it should be good to go.

My 22GT CDG feeds like butter; it feeds just as smooth if not smoother than my AI AX's which were designed for AW double stack mags, and it's also smoother feeding than my AW cut TL3 and Impact, both of which are more conventional 2 lug actions with smaller diameter bolts-- you almost don't feel the CDG pick up the cartridge from the magazine. Also, based off the videos I took the controlled round feed of the CDG works great too as the case rims get captured by the extractor right after the cartridges leave the magazine.

One thing to keep in mind is because the mag height needs to be a bit different between AW and AICS mags you probably can't switch between AW and AICS mags on the same action/stock combo without swapping the latch (or filing the lock tab on the mag itself for the mag that needs to sit lower) so it's best to pick one style and stick with it. This may be a problem for owners who want to switch barrels between say .223 and 6 creedmoor, as you could run AW mags for the creedmoor but the .223 only has AICS single stack magazines available.

Yes, as mentioned here by ARC and a few others. Contact ARC and you can purchase the longer mag latch for AICS.
I bought a longer latch with the CDG. I’m pretty sure I need a shorter one, not longer. Maybe if there was a spacer to stop the mag from going up and stopping against the action I might need a longer latch if not perfectly aligned?

I’m not really concerned with it as I bought the action so I could use AW mags. I can use one of my Nukes or Archimedes if I need to run AICS mags.

I bought a longer latch with the CDG. I’m pretty sure I need a shorter one, not longer. Maybe if there was a spacer to stop the mag from going up and stopping against the action I might need a longer latch if not perfectly aligned?

I’m not really concerned with it as I bought the action so I could use AW mags. I can use one of my Nukes or Archimedes if I need to run AICS mags.
did you use the stop that goes in the front?

Reactions: lash
Exactly, see @Kiba post above yours. Specifically “IMO you might have more fiddling to do trying to set the CDG up for single stack AICS mags than you will running AW mags; getting the height right, possibly having to install the AICS mag stop tab at the front of the magwell, etc.”

I think that a quick call to ARC or a bit of video watching and reading on the CDG pages of their site will help get you past this and set up right. Good luck. 👍🏻

I think that a quick call to ARC or a bit of video watching and reading on the CDG pages of their site will help get you past this and set up right. Good luck. 👍🏻
Yep, but I’m not concerned at this point. I bought this action just so I could run AW mags. I have to say I can’t see any real reason to ever go back. They load so nice and feed so well the AICS seems like a step backwards.

One thing to keep in mind is because the mag height needs to be a bit different between AW and AICS mags you probably can't switch between AW and AICS mags on the same action/stock combo without swapping the latch (or filing the lock tab on the mag itself for the mag that needs to sit lower) so it's best to pick one style and stick with it. This may be a problem for owners who want to switch barrels between say .223 and 6 creedmoor, as you could run AW mags for the creedmoor but the .223 only has AICS single stack magazines available.
Adjustable mag latch with plenty of travel and you should be able to switch between AICS and AW on one action/chassis combo. Not sure why I bought a second action and ACC Elite but I did so fuck it another rifle it is.

• Haha
Reactions: pingunit and lash
Adjustable mag latch with plenty of travel and you should be able to switch between AICS and AW on one action/chassis combo. Not sure why I bought a second action and ACC Elite but I did so fuck it another rifle it is.

There's a decent chance you might get one mag latch height to work for both unmodified AW & AICS mags, but I haven't tried it as I didn't buy my CDG to run AICS mags. It's going to be an AW mag only action, and so far it runs amazing from AW mags.

I don't think you can install the AICS mag stop tab if you're going to use AW mags though, so if you plan on using both mags you'll have to live with an AICS magazine being able to tilt up in front if you put pressure on it. Another reason I'd prefer to stick with one or the other kind of magazine.

I'm keeping my 223AI (and possibly a 20 practical build) on Archimedes actions which have full feed ramps and were optimized for AICS magazines, which as of now is the only option for 223 magazines. At least one person here has said they have to run their 223AI CDG build fast, because if they run it slow the 40 degree neck/shoulder junction hangs on the edge of the chamber and stops the bolt. That's not an issue on the Archimedes, I can run my 223AI Archimedes slow or fast and it always feeds perfectly.

Lolol! Heck, the long action I bought was totally due to the fact that I have a nucleus and I love it and the look and function of the CDG captured me. What’s a guy gonna do?

When using a CDG with AICS magazines in a recent Xlylo chassis you will need to shorten the length of the standard length magazine latch.

The Xylo standard magazine latch is stamped with 1.10, which is the distance from the center of the pivot pin to the top of the latch that impinges on the magazine.

I had to file down the length the magazine latch to allow the use of an AICS magazine in a Xylo chassis with the CDG action. In my case, I removed 0.04" from the standard magazine latch. The distance from the center of the pivot pin to the top of the latch is now 1.06".

You also need to use the aluminum tab that ARC ships with the CDG action. The aluminum tab is positioned between the action and the chassis when assembling the rifle. The tab extends into the magazine well far enough that the front of the magazine impinges on it and prevents the magazine from being inserted too deep. The tab is held in place by the forward receiver screw.

I am currently running a CDG, a barrel chambered in 223 Wylde, in a Xlyo chassis that I puchased after the CDG was released. The magazine that I am using is a Accurate Mag DSSF (AICS) magazine.

When shooting 6.5 Creedmoor, I can use the PMAG 10 7.62 AC magazines without issue with the Xlyo magazine latch that I shortened to 1.06".

Here'e the standard Xylo latch. Note the 1.10 stamped on the side.
IMG_2772.jpeg

Here's the aluminum tab positioned between the action and the chassis.
IMG_2818.jpeg

When using a CDG with AICS magazines in a recent Xlylo chassis you will need to shorten the length of the standard length magazine latch.

The Xylo standard magazine latch is stamped with 1.10, which is the distance from the center of the pivot pin to the top of the latch that impinges on the magazine.

I had to file down the length the magazine latch to allow the use of an AICS magazine in a Xylo chassis with the CDG action. In my case, I removed 0.04" from the standard magazine latch. The distance from the center of the pivot pin to the top of the latch is now 1.06".

You also need to use the aluminum tab that ARC ships with the CDG action. The aluminum tab is positioned between the action and the chassis when assembling the rifle. The tab extends into the magazine well far enough that the front of the magazine impinges on it and prevents the magazine from being inserted too deep. The tab is held in place by the forward receiver screw.

I am currently running a CDG, a barrel chambered in 223 Wylde, in a Xlyo chassis that I puchased after the CDG was released. The magazine that I am using is a Accurate Mag DSSF (AICS) magazine.

When shooting 6.5 Creedmoor, I can use the PMAG 10 7.62 AC magazines without issue with the Xlyo magazine latch that I shortened to 1.06".

Here'e the standard Xylo latch. Note the 1.10 stamped on the side.
View attachment 8215664

Here's the aluminum tab positioned between the action and the chassis.
View attachment 8215676
Great post. Very helpful.

Is Preferred Barrel Blanks the only place selling CDG actions that are ready to ship?

I ordered a long action from ARC back in April but I'm getting the urge to build a short action too. I'd rather not wait the 4+ months for the second action if there are any sitting on someone's shelves ready to go.

Is Preferred Barrel Blanks the only place selling CDG actions that are ready to ship?

I ordered a long action from ARC back in April but I'm getting the urge to build a short action too. I'd rather not wait the 4+ months for the second action if there are any sitting on someone's shelves ready to go.
There have been a number selling right here in the PX. Most for exactly their cost from people that changed directions. At least one per week.

Same with the JEA-G4 from MDT, and their new Acc Elite gen 2. They have adjustable magwells now.

For instance, this is how a .223 AICS fits in my JEA, even when pushed up or forward/ back. It's just solid and stable. I could put my full weight on this and no movement.

There's very little play because the well adjusts forward and back as well as the mag latch height.

Looking forward to swapping in for AW when I switch out for 6.5.

Attachments

• PXL_20230830_212306979~2.jpg
    PXL_20230830_212306979~2.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 69
Well, thanks to one of our Hide members & fellow Ozzy, I've finally secured a CDG. Thankfully, Hide member & all round good bloke "Hennig" decided some months back to import a number of CDG actions. So, as of this morning, the monies were transferred to Hennig's acc & I am the proud owner of a Coup de Grace SA. Haven't decided on all the gear for the build as yet but, I'm definitely going with a Bix n Andy trigger. Since I'm kind of over cold, hard, sharp edged chassis, I'll prolly go with a simple laminated stock, maybe a thumbhole At-one to get things moving. Dunno about the barrel yet but I'll prolly grab whatever S/S barrel I can get quick & my local GS will chamber it in 6BR or 6BRA.
Thanks again to Hennig.

What's the current lead time looking like?

Debating between doing this for a NRL Hunter Open Light build or a Tikka UPR for a Factory div build... using my existing supply of AW magazines would be really nice but it just depends on how long it takes to get the action in hand and the rifle assembled

What's the current lead time looking like?

Debating between doing this for a NRL Hunter Open Light build or a Tikka UPR for a Factory div build... using my existing supply of AW magazines would be really nice but it just depends on how long it takes to get the action in hand and the rifle assembled
arc website says 4 months

Shipments haven't stabilized out enough yet to tell. Guys are getting theirs that were ordered in February. Haven't seen anything from an order date later than that yet. It's a game of catch-up for ARC at the moment.

We'll see if I get mine in November.

Yeah didn’t know if that was accurate before I dropped money. Was curious if people are receiving theirs in that timeframe
I ordered my RH LA on 01 May and tomorrow makes 4 months.

I don't think they're quite caught up yet from the pre-orders, but I'd expect the lead time to get shorter month after month. My guess is there were a ton ordered in the first week compared to the month or two that followed.

Have 2 I'm still waiting on 2/11 RH LA Mag 30moa and a 4/20 RH SA .473 SA both fluted pivoting bolt.

I seen one person say they got an RH LA ordered in March....hope he was yanking our legs or I'd be a little upset!

Yeah didn’t know if that was accurate before I dropped money. Was curious if people are receiving theirs in that timeframe
There’s a guy selling one in the px right now. I am not vouching for the guy, just letting you know there’s one for sale

Reactions: ZY100 and lash
There’s a guy selling one in the px right now. I am not vouching for the guy, just letting you know there’s one for sale

Except considering it's $899 new, I wouldn't pay him any more than that.

Reactions: wade2big
They charged me 12 bucks for shipping and no tax and I live in socal so that saved me a 100 in tax. Of course has not shipped but I doubt they will hit me for the tax when it ships. So 912 bucks.
But if it's not worth 130 to skip a 6 month wait.....