• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple newbie questions

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
First, when reloading for handgun (9mm) how do you work up a load? Do you do the same process that one does for rifle, or do you just go off the data from the books and pick the minimal load needed to cycle the gun? I am just looking for a plinking load in a Glock 19 that I might try at a few matches (3 gun, IDPA, etc).

Second, when loading for my AR (again a plinker M&P15, not a precision beast) how deep do you load your projectiles? I worked up a load with one projectile that I had, but I am now out of those and picked up some Hornady 55gr that have a canelure. If I load to the canelure, the OAL is shorter than the load I had developed for the other bullet. Does this matter for plinking? Should I load to the original OAL, load to canelure, shoot and compare?

The process is similar for both handgun and rifle in that you start at the bottom of the published load range and then work up in .2-.3gr increments but most people are looking for the best accuracy. The lowest charge to cycle is probably not the most accurate. Competition shooters are also generally looking for a minimum velocity however some folks like light plinking loads so it all depends on the goal for that load.

For rifle, and pistol, most people are loading to a specific OAL to ensure that it cycles. For your AR, the first order of business is to make sure the round fits in the mag which means 2.26" or shorter. Your 55gr Hornady bullets have a cannelure so to get the crimp right you are probably in the 2.24-2.25 range. Your gun will probably feed anything from 2.1 to 2.26 just find so its important to pick the OAL first and then work up the charge. To keep it simple I try and load the same bullets when possible that way I'm not changing the seating depth all the time to hit the cannelure.

Last edited:
Agree with DirtyRod, except to clarify that IMO the 55gr Hornady FMJBT w/c bullet should be seated to "mid-cannelure", and that can easily result in an OAL of around 2.20" . . . which is in fact what Hornady lists as OAL for this bullet. Crimping in this case may (or may not) improve accuracy for you. Personally I'd work this new bullet/OAL up as usual. YMMV.

Last edited: