• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple questions on a barrel swap, std to heavy

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
Will be swapping out a 16 on a RRA tactical entry to a 20" criterion black chromed Heavy contour. I have the gas tube and low gas block and head space gauge on the way already.

Will the YHM Diamond hand guard fit this heavy barrel diameter?

Do I need a larger barrel nut?

Re: Couple questions on a barrel swap, std to heavy

Please post links to the exact parts you have. There are quite a few "low profile gas blocks" out there and some are not as low as others. Does that YHM handguard drop in or use a proprietary nut? Again, post a link to the exact parts you are getting.

I just installed this YHM guard over an "hbar" barrel last weekend, fit fine. Can't promise anything with the one you're looking at, but I have a hard time believing it would be a problem. The thickest section of the barrel is right where the flange is where it seats on the receiver, I can't imagine that's not standard.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2696166...-aluminum-matte

You will be fine.

The handguard comes with it's own barrel nut but the barrel nuts on 5.56/.223 size guns are all the same ID where it threads on....barrel length has nothing to do with that.

I ASSume you are getting the rifle length handguard? If so, the gas block will likely not be covered by the handguard due to the rifle length gas system (unless it's a mid or carbine gas system, you didn't say).