• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COVFEFE vs BRCC (the actual Coffee, not the Politics)

Fx51LP308

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2021
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Politics aside for a moment, what's the general take on the actual coffee itself? I've been making a small pot of Espresso every morning, but I wanted to try one of these other coffees. Problem being, they're both quite expensive (my regular esspresso grind is about $12.00 for a 2+lb container. BRCC for the same grind is about $14.99 (single purchase) for a 120z bag, and Covfefe is the most expensive at $19.99 for a 1lb bag. It's a lot of money to invest when there's a cheaper alternative. But if it's wroth it...

So which do you prefer to drink.. Covfefe or BRCC, or something else (please specify).

I like the mentalist blend from bulletproof, and highlander grog from whoever. My brother started the diet with it years ago, and I do off and on, but I like ice cream.

I have black rifle when friends get it. I like the vintage blend from them.

Never had Covfefe, but brcc is overpriced folgers to my palate. I like Death Wish coffee. Their claim of "worlds strongest" isn't really accurate, but it has a great flavor. Can be had for about $16/lb if you get 5lb at regular price. Seen it as low as $10/lb on sale.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
    I have a few bags of BRCC Blackbeards delight, not bad, and seem to be the freshest looking of all I have tried. I prefer Lavazza beans though, and I am newer to grinding beans so shuffling through beans. Definitely a couple brands I need to try.

This is my go-to coffee:
    And this is another of my favorites:
    MayaSuperDarkReportFairtradeorganiccoffee_6a194ee1-0478-4a7e-89de-4eaad854b12a_630x.png

I prefer Blackout Coffee, and Stocking Mill Coffee, to BRCC.

I went ahead with one (1) 1lb bag of Covfefe MAGA Dark Roast. I'm also thinking of replacing my Espresso machine because I got one of those cheapy ones that doesn't produce a lot of creama. Time to upgrade.

If I like the Covfefe I'll try and figure out how I'll do that on a more regular basis. I'm just having all kinds of issues with $19.00 for a 1lb bag of beans.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    Early brcc was really good. Ak47 and silencer smooth got me into coffee. Then it went downhill. I am looking for a new place and going to follow some suggestions on here.

This is my go-to coffee:
    And this is another of my favorites:
    View attachment 7747319
    I love dark roasts especially some of the Mexican coffees but lately my eyes have been opened to the wondrous world of light roasts.

Reactions: jrassy
    Take a look at the Coffee Bean Corral. You can get the green kenyan beans for like 5$ a lb.

Interesting! But I'd also have to invest in a roaster and learn how to do that. To me, that's analogous to learning how to "reload." That said, I may do it someday and I'm saving my .308 brass for it.

And, another update: I went ahead and upgraded the Espresso maker to this one:

81d5Vc5-dBL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

The "De'Longhi 15 bar Pump Espresso Maker, EC702, Metal"

Not available yet. But its fantastic.

View attachment 7748253

As it turns out, I got an early Christmas present from a neighbor of mine (he is German as well... his wife is American). I was mentioning my upgraded Espresso machine (which I received and is ready to go for tomorrow), and he gave me a bag of this:

product-classic-12_450x450.png

Apparently, it is also German. I'll try a cup of this in a few days after I get the new Espresso machine up and running on my current brew.

Any good this Tchibo?

Reactions: 91Eunozs and BCP
    As it turns out, I got an early Christmas present from a neighbor of mine (he is German as well... his wife is American). I was mentioning my upgraded Espresso machine (which I received and is ready to go for tomorrow), and he gave me a bag of this:

Apparently, it is also German. I'll try a cup of this in a few days after I get the new Espresso machine up and running on my current brew.

Any good this Tchibo?

It's a store brand for a supermarket chain.

With that said, its still better than BRCC.

Such a tease...

Well, don't forget about your friends on SH when there's more info! Maybe even an SH group buy ;)

I was actually just sent the 'test' coffee earlier in the week to try different bags of as I gave them a pretty specific type/range of coffee that I'd want to use. I'm not even sure if the label on there is 'the label' as from my last conversation, I think it was just to get something on there even though for taking literally 0 time on their end looks pretty good anyways.

I'll roll out the whole story of what happened when it becomes available as it involves SH quite a bit.

It's a store brand for a supermarket chain.

With that said, its still better than BRCC.

Then BRCC must be really bad. I brewed a double shot of this Tchibo this morning an it was weak.... quite week & watery. Certainly not as strong as my regular brew. Now, maybe I just didn't tamp it properly (I tamped only once in one layer). I'll try once more tomorrow and we'll see. but I do note that it's a "medium" roast and not a "full dark." We'll see.

Then BRCC must be really bad. I brewed a double shot of this Tchibo this morning an it was weak.... quite week & watery. Certainly not as strong as my regular brew. Now, maybe I just didn't tamp it properly (I tamped only once in one layer). I'll try once more tomorrow and we'll see. but I do note that it's a "medium" roast and not a "full dark." We'll see.
    Lighter roasts extract harder than dark roasts.
    May need to adjust your grinder settings and/or water temp.
    How long did the shot take?

Lighter roasts extract harder than dark roasts.
    May need to adjust your grinder settings and/or water temp.
    How long did the shot take?

Slightly longer than my original brew. But I also note the creama was much better as well. I checked the puck afterwards and there didn't seem to be any breaks or push-throughs. I'm grinding on setting 25 of 30 (very fine) if that means anything. Water temp was set in the maker. But I also didn't do a quick shot of plain water like they recommend, just before you brew.

I'll do all that very carefully, tomorrow.

Slightly longer than my original brew. But I also note the creama was much better as well. I checked the puck afterwards and there didn't seem to be any breaks or push-throughs. I'm grinding on setting 25 of 30 (very fine) if that means anything. Water temp was set in the maker. But I also didn't do a quick shot of plain water like they recommend, just before you brew.

I'll do all that very carefully, tomorrow.
    Yea
    That cold group head probably got you
    Coldish head can help on dark roasts but suck with lighter roasts.
    Even on pour overs water temp really makes a difference depending on the roast.

Yep, its a store branded coffee from a decent sized grocery store. It's probably weak as shit due to the idea of not making it 'too strong' for most people. Kind of like what alot of places do with salsa/picante sauce where 'hot' is nothing.

Yep, its a store branded coffee from a decent sized grocery store. It's probably weak as shit due to the idea of not making it 'too strong' for most people. Kind of like what alot of places do with salsa/picante sauce where 'hot' is nothing.

Just to test out @Steel head 's suggestions above, I made a 2nd double shot this afternoon, ensuring I did pack the puck properly (there's a tongue twister :ROFLMAO:) and running the hot water initially before pulling the double shot. Results: There was a significant improvment, but it still wasn't "full strength." I will try my original brew tomorrow and see what happens. It could also be that I'm not grinding fine enough but I have the thing on "almost totally fine" (i.e. 25/30). Maybe I'll put it on 30/30 and try again.

We'll see. For now, back to the old brew.

This morning, I went back to my go to coffee (Cafe Bustello) and pulled a double shot as I had done with the Tchibo, yesterday. It was like night and day. So much stronger and more flavorful. I will try one more then and ensure that I grind the Tchibo as thoroughly as I can (a full 30 seconds in the grinder) and then we'll see.

The package containing my bag of Covfefe arrived yesterday. I pulled my first double shot this morning. I ground it for 30 seconds (extra fine). It took slightly longer for the full double shot to drop, but it started within 10 seconds. So, I guess I'm packing it OK.

Result: A much stronger taste than the Tchibo. In fact, perhaps even slightly stronger than my Bustello. Most excellent!

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to keep ordering bags of Covfefe at $19.00/lb. We'll see. But definitely the best tasting (strongest), so far. I'll probably save it and do once a week until my supply of Bustello wares out.

3980_source_1554045442.jpg

Any good this Tchibo?
    Loved their coffee when we lived there! Nice little cafes too.

Our favorite was blue something or other. May have been the Africa Blue I see on their website now, but recall it as something else. Regardless, try to get some whole bean and grind it yourself, trust me.

Loved their coffee when we lived there! Nice little cafes too.

Our favorite was blue something or other. May have been the Africa Blue I see on their website now, but recall it as something else. Regardless, try to get some whole bean and grind it yourself, trust me.

Both the Tchibo and Covfefe are bean bags and I am grinding them. 30 seconds/extra fine. I'll look into that "blue something or other..." but I'm liking my Covfefe.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Both the Tchibo and Covfefe are bean bags and I am grinding them. 30 seconds/extra fine. I'll look into that "blue something or other..." but I'm liking my Covfefe.

Saw the bag in the pic and saw the ‘ground coffee‘ label…assumed it was the same. Anyway, just asked my wife and she says it was indeed the Africa Blue we loved so much.

Hell, now I gotta get some of her family over there to ship us some! LOL

Saw the bag in the pic and saw the ‘ground coffee‘ label…assumed it was the same. Anyway, just asked my wife and she says it was indeed the Africa Blue we loved so much.

Hell, now I gotta get some of her family over there to ship us some! LOL

If they're willing to ship from there, then I could use some help.

I've been trying to get someone to help me with buying this other "adult beverage" from Luxembourg.

pereblanc001.jpg

It's a cordial (digestif). It's very sweet, almost like "sweet ginger." It's also hot like ginger. It's hard to describe the taste, but I fell in love with it the moment it was served to me my first night in Europe almost 40 years ago. I was smart enough to buy 2 bottles of it on a subsequent trip to Belgium but I am almost out of it. The problem being, the manufacturer (Pitz-Schweitzer) will not sell it beyond the BE-N-LUX region, and he certainly won't ship it to the US (he says it's illegal to do so in Luxembourg). Furthermore, none of the other "web-stores" will sell it and ship it to the US, either. So there must be some truth to those "legalities." My only hope of getting more is:

1) Flying to the region to buy it myself;
    2) Finding someone in the region who will go buy some for me and ship it to me privately.

Choice #2 being the more "economical." I am more than willing to pay for packaging and shipping expenses, customs fees (if any), etc.

So, if your family knows of someone close to Luxembourg (I don't think they can buy it in Germany, but I could be wrong), and they want to cut a deal, I'd be much appreciative and make it worth their while. Perhaps, an even exchange of something I could send them from the USA that they can't get.

Shipping coffee is easy, not sure about liquor with the tarrifs/taxes involved on alcoholic beverages. I remember that was always tricky when we were stationed over there, and we had access to the USPS from the post office on base.

Regardless, can ask… They’re in Germany, but on the West side, so not too far from Luxembourg.

Edit: Probably easier to ask some friends of ours stationed over there to look for it the next time they’re over there, and bring some back for Christmas. I won’t be down that way, but my mom lives on the South side of Tampa Bay.

Edit 2: If I can get some, I will not sell it…will happily give you a bottle or two as a gift to a fellow sniper hider though. As a member of the federal pension check of the month club, I’m not taking any chances running afoul of the BATFE crowd. And I’m sure there are some trolling this board just looking for a ’gotcha’ situation…. feebs gonna feeb.

Last edited:
    Shipping coffee is easy, not sure about liquor with the tarrifs/taxes involved on alcoholic beverages. I remember that was always tricky when we were stationed over there, and we had access to the USPS from the post office on base.

Regardless, can ask… They’re in Germany, but on the West side, so not too far from Luxembourg.

Edit: Probably easier to ask some friends of ours stationed over there to look for it the next time they’re over there, and bring some back for Christmas. I won’t be down that way, but my mom lives on the South side of Tampa Bay.

Edit 2: If I can get some, I will not sell it…will happily give you a bottle or two as a gift to a fellow sniper hider though. As a member of the federal pension check of the month club, I’m not taking any chances running afoul of the BATFE crowd. And I’m sure there are some trolling this board just looking for a ’gotcha’ situation…. feebs gonna feeb.

Much appreciated, sir. However you wish to handle it. And I'm more than happy to reimburse Customs duties and such, Just let me know. Let's do 2 bottles for now. I would suspect if could be found in either Luxembourg or Belgium. Not totally sure about the NL, but I know definitely Belgium or Luxembourg.

Thanks so much.

Much appreciated, sir. However you wish to handle it. And I'm more than happy to reimburse Customs duties and such, Just let me know. Let's do 2 bottles for now. I would suspect if could be found in either Luxembourg or Belgium. Not totally sure about the NL, but I know definitely Belgium or Luxembourg.

Thanks so much.
    Message relayed … will see if it bears fruit. Will PM you when I hear anything.

Now to stop the derail …. Back OT:

Been experimenting with those ‘gold‘ filters vs disposable paper filters in our drip machine…. I honestly can’t taste the difference. What am I missing?

Message relayed … will see if it bears fruit. Will PM you when I hear anything.

Now to stop the derail …. Back OT:

Been experimenting with those ‘gold‘ filters vs disposable paper filters in our drip machine…. I honestly can’t taste the difference. What am I missing?

I'm not a "paper filter" person so I'd have no idea. The only real advantage to them, it would seem to me, would be clean up/disposal. With my new machine, cleaning the puck out of the double shot filter cup is a bit more complicated. It won't just shake out or bang out as with my older espresso maker. I literally have to pry it out with a very dull spoon so that it doesn't damage the rubber gasket in the cup (see the one on the left).

Delonghi_filter_cup_s-l300.jpg

Until I can figure out a better way to do it.... But I have no idea as to how these filters affect taste. I used to do paper filters when doing drip/percolators, but that was a very long time ago, and I only used them for clean up purposes.

And, thanks once again for the "relay." PM me with any future updates.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Quick and different question.... What's the average shelf life of roasted coffee beans? How long can one keep them before needing to grind/use them? I realize that there are all kinds of factors (temperature, humidity, Oxygen levels, packaging etc.), but what have you found to be the average shelf life?

Last edited:
    Quick and different question.... What's the average shelf life of roasted coffee beans? How long can one keep them before needing to grind/use them? I realize that there are all kinds of factors (temperature, humidity, Oxygen levels, packaging etc.), but what have you found to be the average shelf life?
    Vacuum sealed in a freezer- pretty long time
    Bagged in a freezer- not as good but certainly over a month.
    Out of the Sun in an air tight bag on the counter- light roasts, Two or three weeks isn’t a big deal at all- dark roasts I like as fresh as possible within two weeks of roasted, after that they start to loose some of their luster.

Coffee can still be quite decent after that but the flavors get more muted.

@Steel head - Not sure if you use one, but my dad got me a coffee vault after being really happy with his own.
    Has the fancy CO2 filter on top that is replaceable every couple months.
    He doesn't drink (a good thing), so sharing coffee stuff with him is our version of some folks and whisky.

I notice a difference in how the beans look and taste with it vs even the coffee bags with the little "air escape" build into the side.

and this isnt even super fancy coffee, just my daily stuff.

I will say, some of our local fresh roasted beans from Daz Bog Coffee, a burr grind, and either a pour over or french press is a pretty awesome combo with some bacon and eggs.

@Steel head - Not sure if you use one, but my dad got me a coffee vault after being really happy with his own.
    Has the fancy CO2 filter on top that is replaceable every couple months
    He doesn't drink (a good thing), so sharing coffee stuff with him is our version of some folks and whisky.

I notice a difference in how the beans look and taste with it vs even the coffee bags with the little "air escape" build into the side.

and this isnt even super fancy coffee, just my daily stuff.

I will say, some of our local fresh roasted beans from Daz Bog Coffee, a burr grind, and either a pour over or french press is a pretty awesome combo with some bacon and eggs.

Ordering one from Amazon, now. Thanks! Since I don't drink more than one double shot per day, I'm not sure how I'd use up a full 1lb bag in 2-3 weeks. So I appreciate the extra storage options.

Coffee Vault received and activated. Wow, it's almost a full 1lb bag capacity. I'll have to see how much I use and how often I have to buy a new 1lb bag.

OK, so I've used my new Delonghi machine for a week or two now. Just a couple of questions....

1) How long should a "double shot" pull last (in re: time)? The drop starts in about 5-10 seconds but to fill the carafe as high as I used to for my original Sowtech machine, it can take as much as 5-7 minutes if not more. And it also seems as though the machine is straining just a tad (the drop turns from an initial stream to just droplets... and, sometimes, the drop doesn't even start on one side of the double port handle. This might be an indication that the coffee is packed too hard or not evenly, and/or the grind is too fine (I have it on 30 sec. extra fine).

2) Should I stop the drop for a few moments and then continue if I feel the vacuum pressure mechanism is straining or will it hurt to just keep going until the carafe reaches my original fill line?

Thanks.

Last edited: