• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote hunting caliber question

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
Getting into coyote hunting and only have a DTA srs rifle and that's a little much to be lugging around the woods. I am now gonna build a rifle just for varmint hunting and want a little advise on what dirrection to go with the build. I def want a McMillan stock but that's as far as I've gotten.

Re: Coyote hunting caliber question

Your profile is not filled out completely so I will ask... what part of the country are you hunting in?

.204 Ruger, .223/5.56, .22-250 (my favorite), .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .250 Sav, .257 Roberts, .25-06, etc., etc., etc.

Any of these will kill coyotes. Depends on how far and how fast you want to shoot....and how much you want left of the yote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lancetkenyon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.204 Ruger, .223/5.56, .22-250 (my favorite), .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .250 Sav, .257 Roberts, .25-06, etc., etc., etc.

Any of these will kill coyotes. Depends on how far and how fast you want to shoot....and how much you want left of the yote. </div></div>

This

If you want anything to do with fur, stick with 22-250 and smaller, .243 will ruin a pelt with any bone hit.

I'm in Kansas and most places I will be going will be no future then 600 yards pretty flat here so not a lot of super long distance. I don't do anything with belts.

I did a 204 custom build for predators in a Mcm HTG A1.
IMG_9462.jpg

6x45, .223 necked to 6mm good to 700 yards with ease.
Accurate as heck, very low recoil & good for deer/antelope as well.
Ive popped over 200 coyotes with it in the last 3 years & 6 antelope.

22-250, #4 Bartlien 25" long 8 twist, on a Stiller Tac-30 in a Manners SL, standard BDL type bottom metal.

DSC01045.jpg

I have a 223, 22-250,and now a 243,All are good,if I only had one I'd pick the 22-250,for longer range, deer capability,and not selling fur ...243

I don't kill enough coyotes a year to worry about pelts so my favorite round for anchoring coyotes is the 243. If I were to target cats and the like, then I would go 223

243! Gotta be one of the most flexible rounds out there. Make it as light as possible if you're hauling it around, every ounce matters.

Another vote for the 6x45. I've been using it for 7 years now as my dedicated predator rifle and have been very happy.

I am really leaning towards the 6x47 and a buddy told me about the 20x47 lapua I just want a shorter barrel for using with a can and don't wanna kill the velocity of the rounds. So was kinda thinking about a 223 with a 18" or 20" heavy barrel with 1:8 twist and doing a nice action and DBM and dropped in a McMillan stock.

22-250 with a 1in9 twist if you want to keep it simple, 6x47 lapua if you are willing to go wildcat. The latter was my own pick.

I use a 223 and a 6mm Rem. My next rifle will be an AR15 in 6x45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lancetkenyon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .22-250 (my favorite),
</div></div>
what???

longriflesShooters_zps4e8d6dbf.jpg

Gotta go with the .22-250 as well. Mine is now an Ackley Improved, but no luck on dogs....yet.

I am currently running two 22-6mm ackley's. One is a 20 incher with a can and the other is a 26" incher. They run a 75 amax at 3510 and 3750 respectively. Very flat shooting and devastating on coyotes!

.204 Ruger would be my first pick and .243 would be my second.

To be honest though, I've been killing the shit out of them with .17hmr for the last year or so. Last one was through the ribs and into the vitals (he was running/quartering away). That was the first one that I haven't shot in the head with the 17.... To my surprise, his face hit the dirt as soon as the bullet hit. I haven't had a single coyote take a step after the first hit.

My point is, bullet size is pretty irrelevant. My grandfather has killed more than a fair share with a 22. Just pick whatever you like. The flat trajectory of .204 just can't be beat for this application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the shortest you can on barrel length with let's say 22-250, 6x47, 6.5 </div></div>
nothing below 16 or its an SBR
wink.gif

I had C. Dixon (sponsor here on the hide) build me a custom coyote gun, designed for my needs, where I hunt, and how I hunt... always made to be ran with a can, I went with an 18" heavy barrel, with an 8twst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lancetkenyon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .22-250 (my favorite),
</div></div>
what???

longriflesShooters_zps4e8d6dbf.jpg
</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE your set up.

I carry 3 rifles and a shotgun with me in the truck when I go out predator hunting, not all on the same stand, but all in the truck depending on stands and hunting partners. AR in .223 (52gr @ 2950 which my 10 year old daughter loves to use too), a .22-250 bolt gun (40gr @ 3820), and either my .250 Ack Imp (85gr @ 3340 or 100gr @ 3080) or .25-06 Ack Imp (85gr @ 3805 or 100gr @ 3590) for long shots.

I am currently debating my next build. I have a 7mm Rem Mag in the works for longer range medium/large game right now, and have started thinking of some sort of 6 or 6.5mm rig for long range small/medium game. I like speed, so the .243 Ack Imp has got my attention right now, but nothing has been set in stone or started yet. 55 gr at around 4100+ for varmints, and 85-108gr for medium thin-skinned game would be nice. Recoil would be light for my younger daughter too, even though she has shot the .250 Ack Imp already, with no problems. You can never have too many nice guns, right?

Here is my 10 year old on a stand with me. She outshoots a lot of guys I know. She just needs a little more upper body stregth to shoot offhand, so she uses a bipod or shooting sticks all the time. Dead on shot, but not the fastest at target aquisition...yet. Working on that, and she is a trooper.
001-2_zps985687e6.jpg

I have hunted coyotes for a lot of years and have killed a lot of them. There is a lot of good advice on here and some maybe not so good but it depends on where and how you hunt.

If your after fur then a good 223 will work and you need to get them in closer and make a good shot on them. A 22-250 or the 220 swift are both great coyote rifles for all around and are not to hard on the fur if you use the heavier bullets.

I have tried all the wild cats from 22-250imp to 243imps to the 25-06s and most things inbetween but the 243 with a 65 to 70gr bullet is still the best all around killing machine for yotes in my humble opinion. I have made shots out to 600yds with one shot kills on yotes with the 243s and you don't get to many that will run off on you. I use my 260 a lot now since they aren't worth much. I use the 95gr and it destroys them but like the 25-06 is really to big for yotes unless your just killing them. SOooo... I would say a good shooting 243 or 22-250 for second choice.

204 is a great round for killing yotes to around 350-400.

have about 10-15 down under my 204 VTR. I love it

Love my 20" Krieger AR in .223 but if it's windy and I'm out past 400 - I miss my .243 with 70 grain BT's. Oh my, that caliber flat out knocked them out! Lot's of great choices, hard to go wrong.

I was a huge fan of a 22-243 and the 75gr amax. Until I started using a 6x47 lapua with a 105 Amax. In this country I like a 6mm much better in the wind...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a huge fan of a 22-243 and the 75gr amax. Until I started using a 6x47 lapua with a 105 Amax. In this country I like a 6mm much better in the wind... </div></div>

6mm rules ! agreed 110 %
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a huge fan of a 22-243 and the 75gr amax. Until I started using a 6x47 lapua with a 105 Amax. In this country I like a 6mm much better in the wind... </div></div>

6mm rules ! agreed 110 %
cool.gif
</div></div>

SM, go ahead and drag out the pictures of that bad ass 6mm Crusader...it's the pinnacle of coyote calibers.
smile.gif