• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing coyote hunting tips

Ryan797

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
northwestern indiana
I decided to start coyote hunting due to getting pissed when one chased off a turkey coming right to me haha. Anyway i've been having some trouble getting one, any tips on where to set up, calling, or whatever else.

Re: coyote hunting tips

You have to be sneaky. Like a ninja.

All jokes aside, coyotes are just dogs. They're curious. Get a set of decent calls and start practicing - even during a hunt. Even if your calling sucks when it comes to a rabit, bird, whatever, they'll usually still come in just to see what the hell. Howling, not so much. But distress calls, honk away.

I use a electronic call....cause I am not much of a hand at hand calling.

Plus with the e-call the focus is on the call..not on you.

Join one of the predator forums such as predatormasters.com,etc. You will get a wealth of info by just reading through all the post.

Good luck,Stan

Check your regs to see if you can use Elect calls. THere is a Guy who sells call Ed Ciri or somthing like that, he sell videos that go overs calling types. Get it if you can. I makes calling easy. When you call, make sure you bring a buddy with a Shotgun, those dogs can get up on you FAST!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check your regs to see if you can use Elect calls. THere is a Guy who sells call Ed Ciri or somthing like that, he sell videos that go overs calling types. Get it if you can. I makes calling easy. When you call, make sure you bring a buddy with a Shotgun, those dogs can get up on you FAST! </div></div>

Electronic calls make life a lot easier. Fortunately we can use them in AK now. It seems that nobody has really used called in my area, so the 'yotes respond quite well. I don't use anything special, just an innexpensive call I got from Cabelas (Extreme Dimension Mini Phantom $29.99)

I generally use my .243 loaded with V-Max's if I'm out for coyotes specifically, but I've taken them with just about everything I own. 22WMR works quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a electronic call....cause I am not much of a hand at hand calling.

Plus with the e-call the focus is on the call..not on you.

Join one of the predator forums such as predatormasters.com,etc. You will get a wealth of info by just reading through all the post.

Good luck,Stan </div></div>

Good advice !

Also, there are a wealth of DVD's out there to learn from. Buy "Primos, Mastering the Art of Predator Calling"

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...4006&r=view

listen to the sounds and practice them. Another good one is "Coyote Tactics" by E.L.K. Inc. from Montana.

http://www.elkinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=83

Don has great calls too....

welcome aboard! please fill out your profile. what state are you hunting? what does the terrain look like? what time of year are you going to hunt?

and the number one, most important tip...

<span style="font-weight: bold">BUY A FOXPRO !</span>
cool.gif

Take CKA hunting with you, so your shooting looks good by comparison.

And, yes, rabbits work like a charm.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyway 'cause that's just how I am...

As a knife maker, one of the more irritating things is to see other guys making knives on CNC machines and selling them as hand made. They're not hand made, they're machine made. So call 'em what they are and admit the fact that you either don't know how to make a hand made knife or don't have the patience to do it.

I feel similarly about hunting with electronics. It's removing the requirement to know how to do it. Now I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who know how to call and have been doing it for years, but now choose to use electronics. Fine - whatever. But to me, it's taking away from hunting somehow. There's something good and pure about a fella (and his kid or friend) headin' off to the woods and leaving all the new-fangle gadgets at home or in the truck so they can enjoy the great outdoors.

All these TV shows and guys hunting high fence ranches and carrying around more shit than they have invested in their rifle - that ain't huntin'. They're just killin animals. There's a difference. Hell, I don't even like to sit on a feeder unless I'm just there to harvest meat.

Maybe I'm just turnin' into a crusty old fart and wish more people would learn how to do things for themselves instead of relying on something they can buy.

Alright, I'm done. You can all call me a sumbitch now...

JV

JV...

I hand call / mouth call and use the FOXPRO.

I don't agree with you, but am not gonna flame you for it. Each to his own.

Coyote hunting is like fishing.... You just don't know what they are gonna bite on. Sometimes you have to throw many sounds at them before they bite.... I can't use my super duper red spoon every day to catch trout or a streamer flyfishing. Why would I think a coyote will come everytime I blow a rabbit call... NOT gonna happen ! I guarantee it JV.

If I can improve my chances and increase my success, then I will use every tool available to me. It is plain stupid for me not to.

That is my opinion and my stand. Am I unethical, unsportsmanlike....

No, I am a hunter using the best tools I can to increase my chances of being successful each and everytime I choose to call.

Are your knives all hand made ? No machines ? No sanders ? No polishers ? You forge the metal by hand, by yourself ? You temper over an open fire ? Sometimes bought things can help a guy...

thanks for your time and consideration.

Scott

Juan,

I would have to disagree with you about the use of electronic callers. More tools in the toolbox is a good thing IMO. Sometimes
they won't come to an electronic call, and sometimes not to a mouth call. It just depends.

Now when it comes to that high fence/farm raised game animal 'hunting' bullshit I agree with you 120 percent. Canned hunts are bullshit.

On a side note: has anyone seen Darrel Hollands Coyote hunting video? I noticed it on the main page at www.allpredatorcalls.com I've Holland can build a hell of a rifle so.

Fellas, I agree you have to have more than one tool in your toolbox. I have jack, cottontail, bird and a howler. I've been out about 5 or six times this year and have gotten yotes or bobcats inside of 250 all but once. Now if I could just find hunters that could shoot.
wink.gif

Now don't get me wrong on this. I'm not calling you or anyone else a lesser hunter for using them. I just wish more people would learn to do things for themselves. When a fella says he wants to learn to hunt varmit, I believe he'll learn more by doing it himself. And for me, there's just something about electronics that takes away from being "away from it all".

Yes, my blades are forged. I mostly use files, but I do have a grinder. It gets used to clean up profiles and knock off scale. Everything else is done by hand on a sanding bench that I built. I used to heat treat in my forge, but Steve Woods was kind enough to give me an old Paragon oven for heat treating (thanks again amigo!). I hope that doesn't make me a hypocrit (sp?).

I have the same thoughts on shooting. I have an electronic powder measure, but I started out using a beam scale and can go back and make the exact same load if my Lyman takes a dump. I have a LRF, but I always MIL when I have the time just to keep the skills up.

I guess all I'm trying to say is I prefer (and wish others would) to take the time to learn how do things vs buying something to do it for them. When the big EMP goes off, those electronics won't be worth a shit. Then what?

Happy hunting guys...

JV

As to the knife thing there is a huge difference in having a machine cut blades vs. a man grinding one on a grinder or hammering one out on an anvil.

Using a call to call for yourself vs. using a computerized/ recorded version. This is the same argument as above.

Pushing play and walking away is very different that using a tool to produce a desired end product.

personally, fuck JV and his "my way is better beceause" attitude. I like killing shit and will use what ever means allowed by law.

KT out

Fuck me? Fine. Go ahead and bring that stock on over on Saturday. I'm gonna paint that bitch hot pink! :p

So you're givin me the stock? Cool! I was asking myself earlier why in the hell I waste my time with you. Now I know.

Ryan, we've led your thread astray. Sorry amigo. Go get some calls and have fun.

Juan, I had not considered the EMP thing
laugh.gif

Not so important when it comes to huntin' critters. I only mentioned it because I try to apply it to everything I learn.

Anywho...

"So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

That's fkn hilarious! KLD, is that Drake?

Hunting "called coyotes" is one of my favorite things. My handle kind of gives that away.

If you want to use a blackpowder rifle, centerfire, or a rock in your hand, I guess that is up to how primitive or pure you want to take it. I prefer electric callers, but use simple hand calls too.

Basically, use a rabbit distress sound, start off softly, and play the wind. Coyotes use their nose and in general will try to come in down wind of the sound.

Go where the food is, if they eat rabbits, sheep, calves or burger king in your area, hunt in those areas.
smile.gif

You'll have a harder time back east than the hunters in Texas or the SW states like AZ or CA, etc...

Ryan, all good avice here... The main thing is to be calling where the yotes are. I use have used hand calls for the last 20yrs but have just started dabbling in the electronics mainly for there locating capabilities. Locating the night before or the morning of will greatly increase your successes. Plus, you will stay put longer if you know they are there.

Got second in a contest last weekend with 5,,, called in 2 quads. Had 2 seperate groups located an hour before light and killed dogs on both those stands.

good luck

I'll offer a few tips, been hunting them here since 2001, and done a few basic predator hunting seminars. Read up on coyote biology, there is much info out here on the net. Scout your areas well, look for tracks, scat, and most of all if you get a chance....listen. They may howl back if you use a lone howl sound as a "locator", or they'll go off if they hear a local fire siren (Some electronic callers have a siren sound built in). Gain permission to hunt on as many properties as you can, and offer to use your permission to hunt in some type of "work to hunt payback" by doing chores around the property. This arrangement got me more properties, it works every time. Learn to use hand calls (Both open and closed reed) and become well rounded in the use of them. There are many excellent custom call makers out there...(PM me for a good one, I don't think I am allowed to post his business and I don't want to tick off the Moderators) as well as commercial calls. When scouting look for signs of other wildlife (rabbits, birds, deer, pheasant, mice, voles, etc., and supporting habitat (brushy areas, swamps, etc., coyotes won't be there if they can't eat...finally speak with farmers, local police, and most of all your local game warden, many times he'll get reports of coyote sightings and he and the other folks may just be able to help you find the places they are running around in.....don't forget, as the other hunter said, to play the wind as well, hunt downwind or crosswind and try to descent yourself as much as possible..and be quiet going in AND out of your stands or setups..full camo during the day too and be VERY still...they can see quick movements so well it's scary, so move SLOW...I also have $1 million in hunting insurance, and after the accidental shooting of a pregnant woman we had here a few years ago by a jerk of a hunter, insurance helps to secure properties here now. ..so much more but this is a start....good luck.......

John

Juan, that quote in my sig comes from a guy that works for Vltor actually.

My thoughts on electronic caller, range finders, wind meters etc, is that it is a great way to get started and learn what things are supposed to sound like, look like, feel like, etc.

What's a new coyote hunt to do? Go out there an blow on a call like a saxaphone and see what happens?

It's not like to good old days when there would be someone living down the street to mentor a new hunter.

Once you know what things are SUPPOSED to sound like, I think many people would natrually be drawn toward more traditional ways of calling to up the challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Juan Valdez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All these TV shows and guys hunting high fence ranches and carrying around more shit than they have invested in their rifle - that ain't huntin'. They're just killing animals. There's a difference. Hell, I don't even like to sit on a feeder unless I'm just there to harvest meat.

JV </div></div>
I like to kill animals you sumbitch.
wink.gif

I picked up an FX3 and had great luck calling crows but the coyotes just aren't around right now.

I would suggest picking up scraps from slaughters at a local butcher and baiting them. I dumped some at my parents house last week and the dogs licked the spot clean. They are sneaky but can't resist a free meal.

Good luck.