• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coyote Rifle - 18" / 22-250 Build

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
I am going to finish this coyote season with my AR 6.5 Grendel, but want to start working on a parts list for a lightweight, coyote hunting rifle.

I hunt a bunch at night and will mount my Pulsar Thermion on this. I want this to be lightweight, and typically no shots past 300 yards, so want the shorter barrel for packability.

What is the shortest barrel you would go with for a 22-250? Also, I want some sort of custom action as well.

I am not against having this built by a custom rifle builder either. Any thoughts on what direction I should go?

Delta, sounds like your going to build what I just put together. I used a tikka T3X action, spr bugnut barrel 18", 22-250 and mine is threaded for a can. I've had arm surgery so I haven't shot it yet, but have worked up a load for breakin and a ladder load using 50gr vmax and varget. Mine is a 300yd max type shooter as well. hopefully will get out next week!

Delta, sounds like your going to build what I just put together. I used a tikka T3X action, spr bugnut barrel 18", 22-250 and mine is threaded for a can. I've had arm surgery so I haven't shot it yet, but have worked up a load for breakin and a ladder load using 50gr vmax and varget. Mine is a 300yd max type shooter as well. hopefully will get out next week!

Thanks! Yeah, I will definitely want mine threaded. What stock did you go with> Do you have any pics?

I lean towards h4895. I always got more speed in shorter barrels with it, compared to varget.

Am I the only one going with 17’s and 20’s for coyotes? I’m not a expert yet but seems to me there are plenty of options that work fine for coyote out to 300 that will fit ar15 instead of ar10 and this would be lighter from the start. I would be curious to see how much velocity is lost by a 18” barrel in 22-250 vs something like a 18” 17-223, 17-204, 204 ruger, 22nosler, 22-6.8. I currently walk very far on frozen lakes and through woods shuffling snow in cold weather with a 26” 17remington ar and have been thinking about trying to lighten and shorten that. I just don’t see the need to go to a heavier platform if only going out to 300yards. I hunt for food and fur. If your using Grendel I get the impression your not saving fur? Thats the only reason I can see for you to not go small.

Quick pics from garage, Bell and carlson stock. Leupold VX-5HD, recce 5. PC300057.JPGPC300059.JPGPC300062.JPG

I am having my 24” barrel cut down to 20” I just took it in so haven’t got to shoot it yet, main reason was to get threaded can’t wait to get her back!

If you reload I would just get a 224 grendel(aka 22 bgw) barrel for your ar15. 22-250 speeds with stuff you already have and short barrel. Baldwin Gun Works can fix you up

Reactions: 260284
Am I the only one going with 17’s and 20’s for coyotes? I’m not a expert yet but seems to me there are plenty of options that work fine for coyote out to 300 that will fit ar15 instead of ar10 and this would be lighter from the start. I would be curious to see how much velocity is lost by a 18” barrel in 22-250 vs something like a 18” 17-223, 17-204, 204 ruger, 22nosler, 22-6.8. I currently walk very far on frozen lakes and through woods shuffling snow in cold weather with a 26” 17remington ar and have been thinking about trying to lighten and shorten that. I just don’t see the need to go to a heavier platform if only going out to 300yards. I hunt for food and fur. If your using Grendel I get the impression your not saving fur? Thats the only reason I can see for you to not go small.

Well, I used to think needing something bigger than a 223 was insane, but, i shot one at 200 yards with a 6 dasher(my match rifle) running 115 dtacs at 2850 right in the chest and it rolled it, spun 2 circles, and got up and ran off a few weeks ago. As long as placement is good it's not a big deal, but if you hunt at night we know how that goes.

A lot of guys here are using 243 or 6 or 6.5 creed now from an ar10. But, I have killed them with a 223ai, and a friend of mine has killed 15 this year with a 17hmr inside 100 yards. Another friend just built a 22br earlier this year and it is insane!! 85.5 bergers do some damage

I'm going to build a new upper with a 22 bgw(22 grendel) barrel just for night hunting soon. I think this is the best compromise of energy, rifle weight, and velocity.

In 6mm, an 88gr Berger varmint or 87gr Vmax will do a better job than the 115 gr dtac. All energy will dissipate when that jacket erupts into about 500 tiny fragments. The Berger's are probably tighter grouping, though the vMax will shoot .5's I go thru a lot of both in 6br.