• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns CQB Folder that resists collapse

JoeSmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Texas
Any recommendations for a combat worthy folding knife that resists collapsing under pressure/severe use? Thanks.

Most Emerson's are a liner lock. A frame lock is stronger for hard use. I cary a Hinderer XM-18 flipper. Fast deploying and strong.

Any recommendations for a combat worthy folding knife that resists collapsing under pressure/severe use? Thanks.

What do you intend to use the knife for and what is you budget?

Your title says CQB which leads me to believe you want to use this when in the house which leaves me wondering why you want a folder. If you need a knife in a CQB environment you typically don't have time to unfold/open a folding knife. Which is why you will see people who do this for a living carrying a small to medium fixed blade in a location that they can get to it with either hand. Here is one such specific made knife that works really well when you know how to use it. CQB Tool CQB Tool [SB9] - $160.00 : Spartan Blades knives blades combat utility, Knives with Intent

I agree with Papa zero three...the only knife guaranteed to NEVER fold up is a fixed blade. Contrary to mall ninja wisdom, a knife does not have to be over 5 inches long to be very lethal. But I do like nice Bagwell and Randall fixed blades over 7 inches long.

The Emerson wave feature allows rapid deployment of the blade. As far as the liner lock goes it works for Navy Seals.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

+2 I have an emerson super CQC8 AWESOME knife but if you need a fixed blade carry a fixed blade.
I love the emerson but you can get two griptillians for the price
I agree with Papa zero three...the only knife guaranteed to NEVER fold up is a fixed blade. Contrary to mall ninja wisdom, a knife does not have to be over 5 inches long to be very lethal. But I do like nice Bagwell and Randall fixed blades over 7 inches long.

It's hard to beat an Emerson for a folder. I love my CQC-15.

If you're going to be using it with enough force to potentially collapse one, look at a fixed blade.

I own, and carry folders. I think the key is using the right tool for the job, and not going beyond what the manufacturer says the tool will withstand. I have made over 200-300 knives, and make some with very specific use in mind. However it never fails that someone will try and use one as a screwdriver, or pry bar, then they bitch that the point is broken, or the sides are scratched from them trying to pry an engine out of a vehicle, (or something equally stupid).

Cold steel has some videos showing exactly what their folders will withstand.

If you use a folder within it's designers intended purposes, you should do fine.

What do you intend to use the knife for and what is you budget?

Your title says CQB which leads me to believe you want to use this when in the house which leaves me wondering why you want a folder. If you need a knife in a CQB environment you typically don't have time to unfold/open a folding knife. Which is why you will see people who do this for a living carrying a small to medium fixed blade in a location that they can get to it with either hand. Here is one such specific made knife that works really well when you know how to use it. CQB Tool CQB Tool [SB9] - $160.00 : Spartan Blades knives blades combat utility, Knives with Intent

I've got a Breed. The folder isn't primary but needs to able to take a punch if SHTF and not be a glass jaw. Thanks.

i have a ckrt hissatsu folder that has dual locks on iit when it snaps open.i pretty sure its designed for the blade not to close on accident and it was under 100.i carry it alot.it would be at least very impossing if it was needed in a self defense situation.i think i would rather be shot then get poked by this thing it has a needle point and the blade is thick.

So your intended use ISN'T for use in a CQB environment? Again, what is your intended use and budget?

Folder for general use/backup. You're right: who would use a folder for CQB?! However, a folder should be able to endure not strenuous use and not collapse easily. Budget: max around $500.

Folder for general use/backup. You're right: who would use a folder for CQB?! However, a folder should be able to endure not strenuous use and not collapse easily. Budget: max around $500.

In that case, Benchmade and any of the other well known brands that have been mentioned so far in the thread would serve you well. With a max budget of $500 you can even go custom, in which case I would point you to George Knives George Knives Tactical Folders I have one of his rockeye knives and have met the man, you will be hard pressed to inadvertently damage one if his knives, they are very well made.

I have owned quite a few knives I got rid of most of the customs because it's hard for me to use a knife that cost $500 to do any harder use tasks with. So I stick with Emersons I currently have a CQC11 which they don't make any more but I love this knife and I also have a Super CQC7 which is a great knife also. I have owned many emersons and none have failed. So my vote is about any Emerson made.

Like motodog I have a CRKT Hissatsu and it is a great knife and I'm confident it would never collapse even during the toughest use, however as was mentioned it has a modified Tanto blade with a very sharp and very fine point. If you think you may use the blade for anything other than it's intended purpose I would go for some thing like the CRKT M21-14SF, same locking system but a much beefier blade, so there are no concerns of snapping off the point.

Like motodog I have a CRKT Hissatsu and it is a great knife and I'm confident it would never collapse even during the toughest use, however as was mentioned it has a modified Tanto blade with a very sharp and very fine point. If you think you may use the blade for anything other than it's intended purpose I would go for some thing like the CRKT M21-14SF, same locking system but a much beefier blade, so there are no concerns of snapping off the point.

My totally random/made-up 'test': stab a tractor tire to the handle and work the handle back and forth (not side to side-that could snap the blade in pieces). It may surprise some how many folders lock system fails. If it can't handle that, then its not worth carrying, IMHO.

My EDC knife is a benchmade Barrage with the axis lock system. I'm pretty sure that unless you disengage the axis lock the blade isn't going to collaspe using the knive for any reasonable purpose. BTW, there is a secondary lock that prevents the user from acidentally engaging the axis lock and with the assist feature these knives are very quick to deploy.
580-583 Barrage® AXIS®-Assist Product Detail

Take a look at the Zero Tolerance line of knives. They are a high quality knife with good steel and locking systems. Some of the knives have a frame lock which is superior to the average liner lock. I carry a 550 and am very happy with the steel and locking system.

I have Emerson / B Made / Strider / C Reeves and have used all for years.

While they are almost passé due to their rave reviews, the single best 'all around' is a C. Reeves Large Sebby. The Emerson's are good but are overpriced for what they are. The B Mades probably aren't something I want to use as a wedge for fear of snapping it off, but they are well made can be had for reasonable dollars, and generally nice knives. I have a Stider SMF, and while it is durable as hell, it comes with a fat edge (that you should thin), is a huge fat thing in some pant's pockets, it screams 'that guy' both clipped in the pocket, and esp deployed (mine is green with tigger stripes on the blade) - but, if you really want something durable, yeah... it'd be the one (but frankly I like and carry the SA more).

The L Sebby never raises an eyebrow in mixed company, rides in any pocket well (and to most looks like 'just a pocket knife') comes with a great edge profile (tomatoes / heavy rope / animals); durable enough to me (used it as a hammer and a wedge on several occasions). Lastly, they come apart and go back together as if new from the factory when you pull them apart for cleaning and luging the bull pivot.