• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Cracked Spuhr clamping rail?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Anyone have this happen?

D2FC3BBB-6AD7-47E3-B0F6-AC7FF3D43BAE.jpeg

• Wow
    Reactions: Krob95
    It's shown up a few times on here... Shouldn't happen when they're the top tier scope mount.

I believe mile high services spuhr warranty work?

Funny I just checked mine and I though I scratched it so I took it off and it was cracked across two of the holes. I think the holes in the clamp are offset to one side when they should be dead center of the screws.
    20200925_195903.jpg

Appears to be quite common. They have excellent customer service to get it it sorted though. The replacement part is a lot beefier around the screws and has extra material.

Ditto @clubsportmark. The new clamp is much better. It might have become a common problem but spuhr has a fix and mile high delivers it super easily. My interaction was so good, Mile High is at the top of my go to list. Excellent service. Excellent product. Thanks again to mile high and spuhr.

Mile high is awesome. Looks like the lower one is old style and upper is new?

Hmm, now I’m going to go check all of mine thoroughly. Not seen this before.

Is this something that is a recent phenomenon? Most of my Spuhr’s are 3 or more years old and have no evidence of anything like this (3 out of 5 checked so far). Just looking at a 4003B, super thick and I’m trying to understand the torque required to cause this.

Reactions: Enough Said
    Had it happen to 2 of mine and know of countless more. Seems to be a pretty common problem actually. I’ve seen the caps crack a few times too, though not as often.

On the clamp 40 in/lbs
    K. Only time I’ve seen this is when people torque them the same value as rings, like 60+. I have a few ISMS, never had an issue.
    I think the important thing here is that they rectified the problem. Every manufactured item has a recall or a bad batch at some point. I’d bet we would all buy a new corvette, even there have been dozens of recalls for defects over the decades.

K. Only time I’ve seen this is when people torque them the same value as rings, like 60+. I have a few ISMS, never had an issue.
    I think the important thing here is that they rectified the problem. Every manufactured item has a recall or a bad batch at some point. I’d bet we would all buy a new corvette, even there have been dozens of recalls for defects over the decades.

Any product produced will have defects at some point its unavoidable its part of the manufacturing process, good companies understand that and take care of their name buy rectifying the problem. Engineering is also the problem by pushing limits in the materials which on paper works but sometimes in the field it doesn't.

The new clamp is twice as thick as the old one that cracked and I believe that solved that issue going forward. Spuhr even ask for the batch number on the clamp itself for their records , being active about their product.

I purchased another Spuhr today from Europtic because I like the product even with the issue I had with my other mount, to each his own.

If it wasn't for SH I wouldn't have known about the issue and getting a replacement part under warranty , I would of just brought a new one.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    As long as it gets taken care of...no problem...it is good to know that essentially there is a gen 1 and gen 2 clamp...I prefer ARC though as I find them to be simple, high quality, easy to level and rubost...

Good thread, haven't heard of this issue with SPUHRs but happy to hear they are reconciling the issue.

Everyone makes mistakes, a top tier company will own them and replace them. Glad they took care of you!

Haven’t heard of any issues like this from ARC MBRACE mounts, at a much lower price point…