• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creating a website....Info?

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    I know there are several on here that build websites, work in that field, etc.

What is a good program to buy that is "newbie" friendly to building and publishing a website?

Volunteered to help out a family member on a project and I don't really have a clue on this one. Just want to make sure we are headed in the right direction.

The website is mostly informational, but possibly down the road maybe a shopping cart.

Re: Creating a website....Info?

This is what I use for maintenance on my site.

It uses Dot-Net so your server would have to support that if you choose that.

BUT you can just use it for html pages....

it has a lot of power if you want to use VB.net

mOSTLY I use straight html except a few of my pages like the email contact page etc...

Grab a free html template and drop it on your server, connect, edit, reupload...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20682

I just got Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 it's expensive but it's the big dog in the industry and so far, with the help of youtube videos hasn't been too bad.

If this is a one time deal I would not buy any tools. Most of the elite web designers and developers I know just use simple text editing tools and not Dreamweaver or anything like that.

I would recommend going to www.themeforest.net and seeing if they have an existing templates you like. They are usually well documented and all you have to do is edit them in notepad to change the content you want. A tool that is free and INVALUABLE in web development is Firebug. It is a browser plugin that allows you to easily traverse the dom, look at html elements, css, run javascript, and all kinds of other awesomeness. It can be found at http://getfirebug.com/.

I would advise not to get too complicated, find something existing that looks reasonable and then use that.

Find out if your host runs dot-net-nuke - y ou don't need an editor - you edit the web page VIA a web page - that's pretty slick.

many of them have editing tools in their "Control Panel" that you will have access to.

Give me admin status and I will design you a website that gets you all kinds of attention. Here is some of my work:

TDJrN.jpg

Shank, if I was assisting to sell pork, I would have already been in contact and wouldn't have posted. LMAO, brother you have issues!

I'd actually recommend Joomla for a CMS system.

Just create a php.ini file and add memory_limit = 64

Most hosts wont tell you that. I should know, I work for one.. a big one.

Your call, but I prefer open source stuff. I'd sooner troubleshoot a PHP error than fuck with a web.config that's for sure.