• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft creatures encountered on a stalk

Re: creatures encountered on a stalk

^ those rifles are hard to come by!

There are some pretty cool spider fights on youtube... kinda fun to watch if you like seeing them die like I do!

For all you desert rats.........camel spiders
remember first time i saw one, actually thought it was a toy/fake never seen a spider that big
Then it moved!!!
Not really a spider thou but big like 6" or so and can make 10mph.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: invictus maneo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider

ive run into one or two of those motherfuckers in the woods down here before. And by run into i mean literally..running through the woods and go face first trhough a web, only to have one land on my head. I don't do bugs well haha and I remained calm but used plenty of four letter words to get my buddy to get them off of me. theyre harmless too but the females get fucking huge

</div></div>

We get those around here every Summer and Fall. Walking into one of the webs will give you the heeby jeebies for days just thinking about it. They're like sticky steel cable. They drop a line from the roof to the ground all along the front of the house. I guess they like fishing.

During the WWII era, Black Widow web was used for the crosshairs on some scopes. They worked very well. IIRC, Weaver was one of the companies using them. </div></div>

The things you learn on this web site.

Two places on this rock I've happened upon one of these, one I seen before it seen me. The other was a eye opening event for both of us. I hate Wolverine's to this day, because of both meetings.
wolverine2.jpg

scopion.... got hit in the butt with one,had a monster stinging cenepede crawl on me once*shudders*I still have nightmares about that encounter,this is the best thread I have read in a while...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Demon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scopion.... got hit in the butt with one,had a monster stinging cenepede crawl on me once*shudders*I still have nightmares about that encounter,this is the best thread I have read in a while... </div></div>

You mean like these guys?

centipede eating a mouse! warning this is pretty graphic

or this?

centipede vs. tarantula

Brown recluse on the hand while sleeping in some old barracks, it looked like a boxing glove a few hours after I woke up and hurt like hell for at least a week.
Sat on a fire ant hill doing PT at 0430. They crawled up my shorts and got me good. I am alergic come to find out. I usually carry an epi-pen nowadays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcC11B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brown recluse on the hand while sleeping in some old barracks, it looked like a boxing glove a few hours after I woke up and hurt like hell for at least a week.
Sat on a fire ant hill doing PT at 0430. They crawled up my shorts and got me good. I am alergic come to find out. I usually carry an epi-pen nowadays. </div></div>

Did it look like the guy above?

Fuck spiders ,fuck centepedes this thread is gonna make me sell my shit and stay home and play COD4 on xbox!

bugs and snakes...after one field op I had over a dozen ticks on me. once caught Rocky Mnt. spotted feaver. Camp Lejeune is fun like that. On stalks I would always locate my ffp next to a snake. It didn't move until the walker came up to do his thing and then it would shoot out and scare the fuck out of us both...I really don't like being around snakes. I hate bugs too but they didn't freak me out as much as the snakes. If I saw one of those centipedes that ate that mouse I would have stood up and ran...damn wtf bugs eat meat now? but the worst was actually moving up on a dead raccoon. awe man that thing was nasty...NC sun had that baby ripe and the maggots were all over it with big giant fly's all over...i had to go almost right over it. but getting busted by your instructors is far worse when it all comes down to it.

Yeh I was thinking about being a sniper until I remembered that there where bugs. Snakes don't bother me, ticks don't bother me, and ants don't bother me, but I cannot stand spiders. Those things are scary as hell.

After a hard day on the trail, I dropped my ruck, flopped against a vine covered tree trunk, while I peeled my hat off to mop my face. The force of my landing shook a few leaves loose and a huge foot long centipede. It landed on top of my head draped over my face, legs wiggling for purchase, scraping my face, and Pow, Pow! two hard stings right into the top of my scalp. I reached up, grabbed the centipede, and flung it about 20 feet. The top of my head throbbed like someone had hit me with a bat.
The other medics came around me, and got out the adrenaline (single dose vials with the snap-top in those days). I told the medics I would wait to see if I was allergic, and the LT said it was a good time to break for lunch anyway, so we hiked another 20 minutes to put some distance between us and where I raised the ruckus. By then I felt ok, so ate a can of peaches, and hiked on. Two distinct lumps about the size of half a golf ball on top of my head. Throbbed for hours.
I hate bugs. There is no way in earthly hell they should be over a foot long. With stingers.
Lady bugs, now there was a good thought.
Why couldn't they all be like that?
Or take leeches (please) I hate those sneaky insidious things from the darkest pit of hell.
The Arty FO one day pulled his pants down to do a leech check. He had 5 of them on his scrotum. Huge fat leeches drooping down, engorged with blood. "Doc! Do something!" He was dancing around, his pants bunched around his ankles. I offered to put a cigarette against them, and he declined (they drop right off that way) so I said, "What about bug juice?"...
I said "It will burn, man."
He said "Do it, do it!"
So I gave the bottle a squeeze, covering the leeches and his scrotum well. the leeches dropped off. I looked up, and the changes that went over his face were incredible. His eyes bugged out, His mouth opened wide in a silent scream, then he began dancing in earnest, and screaming at the top of his lungs.
Now remember we were in a combat situation deep in the boonies just outside the A Shau Valley (off firebase Veghel). the LT and platoon sgt ran up, followed by the FO LT. they were hot, I was worried, and poor Meier was still dancing around. I poured canteen water over him, again and again. Bug juice being oily, it didn't wash off very well.
He got over it.
I hate leeches.

Man that centipede has some serious cohones...

G Gordon Liddy's autobiography WILL, neted he was afraid of rats as a child and he conqauered his fear by catching a basement rat and biting its head off...try that with one of these centipedes
Can you be a sniper if you shoot from a bench in the sunlight?...

Okay here is a little guide to help some of ya'll avoid these bitches. I'll be putting more up almost daily.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">The Black Widow</span></span>
BlackWidowSpider.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Where are they located?</span></span>

These little mother fuckers Live in warm areas of the world. Mainly in North America.

The only type of widow you need to worry about is the female. She is about a half inch in length and 1-3" in span. She has a glossy abdomen. The tell tale sign of a widow is the red hour glass on her stomach.

They are commonly found in urban areas, grasslands and in forests.

Their habitat is on the underside of ledges, rocks, plants and debris, wherever a web can be strung. Cold weather and drought may drive these spiders into buildings.

They are not particularly deadly to humans but they are not fun to be bit by. They have a venom that will paralyze their prey and they release enzymes that will make your skin into soup so that they can suck you up with there mouth easier. They are not deadly cause they release such a small amount of venom.

These little fuckers will not chase you, and they are very reclusive. Often times they will not bite unless you walk through their web or you touch them.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Fun facts!</span></span>

After these things mate they eat their mate. When they spiders hatch from their eggs the widow often eats most of her babies. The widow will eat other widows as well.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">The brown recluse</span></span>
2061_2.jpg

2061_map.gif

Here is a map of approximately where they brown recluse is located. The black dots are location of various sniper schools. (If there are any that I left out please tell me and I will put them up)
reclusemap.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Identifying the recluse</span></span>
In the mature brown recluse spider as well as some other species of recluse spiders, the dark violin marking is well defined, with the neck of the violin pointing toward the bulbous abdomen. The abdomen is uniformly colored, although the coloration can range from light tan to dark brown, and is covered with numerous fine hairs that provide a velvety appearance. The long, thin, brown legs also are covered with fine hairs, but not spines. Adult brown recluse spiders have a leg span about the size of a quarter. Their body is about 3/8 inches long and about 3/16 inches wide. Males are slightly smaller in body length than females, but males have proportionally longer legs. Both sexes are venomous. The immature stages closely resemble the adults except for size and a slightly lighter color. Whereas most spiders have eight eyes, recluse spiders have six eyes that are arranged in pairs in a semicircle on the forepart of the cephalothorax

<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Habitat</span></span>

The brown recluse spider spins a loose, irregular web of very sticky, off-white to grayish threads. This web serves as the spider's daytime retreat, and it often is constructed in an undisturbed corner. This spider roams at night searching for insect prey. Recent research at the University of Kansas indicates that the brown recluse spider is largely a scavenger, preferring dead insects. Mature males also roam in search of females.

Brown recluse spiders generally occupy dark, undisturbed sites, and they can occur indoors or outdoors. In favorable habitats, their populations are usually dense. They thrive in human-altered environments. Indoors, they may be found in attics, basements, crawl spaces, cellars, closets, and ductwork or registers. They may seek shelter in storage boxes, shoes, clothing, folded linens, and behind furniture. They also may be found in outbuildings such as barns, storage sheds, and garages. Outdoors, brown recluse spiders may be found underneath logs, loose stones in rock piles, and stacks of lumber.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Bite Symptoms</span></span>
The physical reaction to a brown recluse spider bite depends on the amount of venom injected and an individual's sensitivity to it. Some people are unaffected by a bite, whereas others experience immediate or delayed effects as the venom kills the tissues (necrosis) at the site of the bite. Many brown recluse bites cause just a little red mark that heals without event. The vast majority of brown recluse bites heal without severe scarring.

Initially, the bite may feel like a pinprick or go unnoticed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours. Others feel a stinging sensation followed by intense pain. Infrequently, some victims experience general systemic reactions that may include restlessness, generalized itching, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or shock. A small white blister usually initially rises at the bite site surrounded by a swollen area. The affected area enlarges and becomes red, and the tissue is hard to the touch for some time. The lesion from a brown recluse spider bite is a dry, blue-gray or blue-white, irregular sinking patch with ragged edges and surrounding redness--termed the "red, white, and blue sign." The lesion usually is 1½ inches by 2¾ inches or smaller.

The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">First aid</span></span>
If bitten, remain calm, and immediately seek medical attention (contact your physician, hospital and/or poison control center). Apply an ice pack directly to the bite area to relieve swelling and pain. Collect the spider (even a mangled specimen has diagnostic value), if possible, for positive identification by a spider expert. A plastic bag, small jar, or pill vial is useful and no preservative is necessary, but rubbing alcohol helps to preserve the spider.

An effective commercial antivenin is not available. The surgical removal of tissue was once standard procedure, but now this is thought to slow down wound healing. Some physicians administer high doses of cortisone-type hormones to combat hemolysis and other systemic complications. Treatment with oral dapsone (an antibiotic used mainly for leprosy) has been suggested to reduce the degree of tissue damage. However, an effective therapy has not yet been found in controlled studies.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Giant Centipedes</span></span>
7268-004.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Habitat</span></span>

Luckily these things do not live in North America. They live in south america, trinidad and Jamica.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">dangers</span></span>
The venom of these things cannot kill a human adult. However it will hurt like hell.

Look here for some more info

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Wolverine</span></span>
Gulo_gulo-Woverine-Polar_Zoo_Norway.JPG

Leefgebied_veelvraat.JPG

As you can see the wolverine lives in canada, russia, and parts of america. There is a very small population of Wolverines on this planet.

That is about all I can find because the rest of the stuff if about X-men.

That map of the wolverines home base is that present day, because that map is wrong circa mid 60's 70's?
6-65 my first meeting with one in the spoonbill area, Korea. I seen it first, and a M14 made it DRT. Circa 70's Kamchatka peninsula, Russia,(tourist) biggest an most vicious one I have ever met todate. He is taking the long dirt nap as well. They were also in southern china circa 73. Trapped one in Indiana circa 81.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That map of the wolverines home base is that present day, because that map is wrong circa mid 60's 70's?
6-65 my first meeting with one in the spoonbill area, Korea. I seen it first, and a M14 made it DRT. Circa 70's Kamchatka peninsula, Russia,(tourist) biggest an most vicious one I have ever met todate. He is taking the long dirt nap as well. They were also in southern china circa 73. Trapped one in Indiana circa 81. </div></div>

As far as I can tell that map is accurate. It was pulled off the wikipedia page on wolverines. They stated that wolverines where found as far south as the sierra nevada range in california. This would make it possible for them to be found in Korea. Also another thing to consider is that Wolverines seem to like the colder weather, and from what I have heard Korea gets pretty damn cold during the winter.

I got bit by one those Centipedes. The inside of the left thigh, it didn't swell much more then a bee sting at each hole but the initial bite was a hell of way to wake up, closest thing i can relate the initial pain to is getting stabbed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I got bit by one those Centipedes. The inside of the left thigh, it didn't swell much more then a bee sting at each hole but the initial bite was a hell of way to wake up, closest thing i can relate the initial pain to is getting stabbed. </div></div>

Have you ever been stabbed?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Leeches</span></span>

leech.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">How To Identify</span></span>
On average a leech is 5-20mm long. However some can get up to 17in long. Leeches do not have normal eyes. They merely have eye spots that can detect movement. They get around using suckers on their head and butt.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Habitat</span></span>
The leech are found on all continents but Antarctica. As a populace they prefer WARM, MOIST PLACES. Leeches love the water. In fact the best place to pick up leeches are in places like swamps, rivers, and rain forests. They like dark places as well. They are most commonly found on the under side of plants and underneath rocks.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Dangers</span></span>
Leeches are not tremendously dangerous to humans. The risk doesn't come from the leech itself. The risk is actually that you will get an infection where the bite was, but actually the good outweigh the bad. Leeches actually help environmentalists determine pollution levels. They are often a warning sign that a lake or pond is heavily polluted. There are actually studies that show leech saliva might help cure some heart disease due to the anti-clotting agent in its saliva. Actually researchers believe it might even help cure cancer.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">How to Get Rid of A Leech</span></span>
Once the leech is on you there are a few ways to get rid of it.
1) just pull it off.
- This method seems simple, but chances are if you pull it off you will leave the mouth parts of the leech on your body and it would keep the wound open leading to infection.

2) Use a chemical to get it off.
- vinegar, lemon juice, salt, or fire work well.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Fun Facts</span></span>
Leeches where used in the 1700 and 1800's. They were believed to treat anything from headaches to obesity. Leeches are actually still in use today. They are used in burn patients to remove blood clots and restore blood flow. They literally suck out the clot. They are also in use with patients who have had things re-attached. The leeches restore blood flow to the parts that where re-attached.

i've had issues with bull ants a couple of times and had a big arse centipede curled up under the lid in one of my pouches not so long ago.
as for spiders i've been lucky, i've walked into a couple of big bastard webs with smaller spiders but managed to either get them off or splat them before doing much.

as said, you just need to know or at least be aware of what they do, where they like to be and how to deal with them and you should be fairly alright.

some people though are just... unlucky!
smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Bull Ants</span></span>
RedBul6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">How to Identify</span></span>
There are over 90 species of the bull ant. They can grow anywhere from 2cm long to just a mere 6mm long. One dominant characteristic is their huge jaws. Other then the fact that they are huge and there big jaws they look like a normal ant.

Like other ants the bull ant makes its home in a mound, but unlike other ants they can also make there home under rocks and in holes. Almost all the species are endemic to Australia (endemic means that they are unique to a certain place).

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Dangers</span></span>
The bull ant stings their victim just like a wasp, bee, or a fire ant would, but their venom is the most powerful in the insect world. The bull ant is a hunter, they even hunt wasps. Their sting is similar to that of a fire ant. The wound site will swell, get red, and you will get a fever. Eventually you will get a blister. Increased heart rate and drop in blood pressure also come along with a bull ant bite. In some cases the venom will cause an allergic reaction and induce anaphylactic shock. Treat the wound just like you would treat a wasp or a bee sting.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">How to get rid of a bull ant</span></span>
1) run like hell
2) squish them and hope you instill the fear of God into them.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Fun Facts</span></span>
- Bull ants account for more deaths in Tasmania than spiders, snakes, wasps, and sharks combined.

Thats some informative shit right there.My Kid loves to fuck with spiders.I just showed him the pics of the brown recluse bite.I dont think He likes spiders anymore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Damn, I was thinking about <span style="text-decoration: underline">trying</span> to become a sniper (note the emphasis on trying...), but I'm having second thoughts about that. </div></div>

I am with drewbie on this. I know that being a sniper would be difficult and dangerus ,but I always thought that person with a gun would be my biggest problem. Not a 2 inch sniper that could make my hand rot off. I could not image being bit on the face or much worse south of belt buckle. O just because i can't image it doesn't mean that someone needs to post pictures of it.

O man... I went out and played airsoft today with some of my buddies, lol it was great.

While we where playing I saw 2 wolf spiders and 3 beetles and 2 snakes and a lizard. Then when I came home I have 5 ticks on me. It was awesome. The creepy crawlies actually don't bother me that much now that I see them in person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Have you ever been stabbed? </div></div>

Yeah, twice. Neither was more then 2" deep.

I would think some sort of boot band around the cuffs of your sleeves and your ankles would help ward off some of the creepy crawlies. Not too much aside from the bug dope mentioned earlier that would keep them off your face.

Great pics with some great info guys, keep it coming. All kinds of snakes and nasty shit here on Pendleton. I have seen scorpions on one occasion, snakes all the time, tarantulas only if I re-run over a back trail. Seems the vibrations bring them out on the beaten path.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunter2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think some sort of boot band around the cuffs of your sleeves and your ankles would help ward off some of the creepy crawlies. Not too much aside from the bug dope mentioned earlier that would keep them off your face.

Great pics with some great info guys, keep it coming. All kinds of snakes and nasty shit here on Pendleton. I have seen scorpions on one occasion, snakes all the time, tarantulas only if I re-run over a back trail. Seems the vibrations bring them out on the beaten path.
</div></div>

What kind of snakes are we talking about here? rattlers, corals, cotton mouths?

How about some Scorpions before dinner? When I was Expat in China we used to treat our visitors to crunchy Scorpions, stingers and all, for appetizer.

6pt6o1.jpg

Dagger3 will remember this one we were in Korea and climbing a mountain to get eyes on our target area and I was lead climber and came face to face wth a green and black tiger striped snake don't know what kind it was and didn't take any chances I pulled out my trusty old Kabar and took its head off then I tossed it down to Dagger3 and he wove it into his boonie and wore it around for the rest of the day. We did some stupid shit back then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunter2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think some sort of boot band around the cuffs of your sleeves and your ankles would help ward off some of the creepy crawlies. Not too much aside from the bug dope mentioned earlier that would keep them off your face.

</div></div>

What kind of snakes are we talking about here? rattlers, corals, cotton mouths?</div></div>

Rattlers, Rosy boas, and your typical garden snake only bigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about some Scorpions before dinner? When I was Expat in China we used to treat our visitors to crunchy Scorpions, stingers and all, for appetizer.

6pt6o1.jpg

</div></div>
The venom sacs and stinger are removed on those guys! I can send you some live ones intact if you want!

I was in Guatamala after a Hurricane went through with my Reserve unit working on the levees and such. We were supposed to take a ferry across a river to get to the jobsite but the wait was so long we found an alternate route where we would just drive ontop of the levee's. I was following an open Duece and a half full of my squad when the front bow that had been left in from the tarp support shook a low hanging branch. Everyone started screaming and jumped up on the seats like a bunch of little girls...except one guy...he grabs this 2.5 foot bright green fucker by the tail and whips it over the side. I went up and asked him if he was stupid or somthing. His reply was "I seen the 'Crocodile Hunter' before...it wasn't poisinous."
That guy was a riot, He ended up dying in a house fire a few years later, I sure miss that guy.

I've had my fair share of run ins with your basic outdoor creepy crawlys like fire ants, bees, wasps, yellow jackets, various snakes (no bites luckily), etc...

The most notable would be the 24 ticks in one outing, beat my buddy by 1. We stared our own little competition to see who picked up more.

I also got bit by a brown recluse when I was younger. The doctors managed to identify 5 different bite sites on the bottom of my foot. Luckily for me I wasn't that sensitive to the venom and didn't react badly. I had a slightly swollen, really itchy foot for a while. I ended up on some meds and on crutches for 2 weeks just to play it safe.

Rattlesnakes around Wyoming are getting terrible...

Isn't hard to find one most places below 6000 asl

Mothers day outing by Hudson, Wyoming

see hole of den on left lower of snakes
snakes.jpg

snakes2.jpg

look at link of kid in Cali. that got bitten by one.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

And another rattlesnake bite...
atrox_bite.jpg

This is good post LMAO

I WAS NEVER A SNIPER but in the Corps I had a few interesting ones
Of course anyone ever in Camp Pendelton or 29 stumps knows these two
RW-tarantula-2-small.jpg

Scorpion-RLA3380.jpg

But here was a rare sighting at Ft. Carson, Colorado Springs (not this particular one,this is someone elses photo)
coloradosprings630pm.jpg

Yep... Bear I spotted one about 1000 yards out while sitting in an OP

Hey, I came across a black bear at Carson once. I was making a run in a hummer about 0500. There was tall grass on each side of the road. I caught the glimpse of something that looked like a trashbag blowing through the grass. Problem was, it hit the ditch and then got up and ran across the road. Wasn't a trash bag but a black bear. Happened about 20 yards in front of the vehicle. I stopped and watch it cross the road. By the time I got my camera out, all I caught was the ass end disappearing into the bushes on the other side of the road.

Don't put too much faith in the range maps... I can confirm there are recluse in SE Virginia. Plenty of widows and recluse at my house in Bedford County,Va- I've caught a few for local discussions, placed in babyfood jars first.

Different ballgame low crawling than just walking through the woods. Good hides are good places for predators to hide as well. I had a copperhead within inches of my hand once- did't even try to bite thank God! It could have had me at any time.

Permethrin treated in bdu's helps a little, getting used to feeling shit crawling on you is the norm.

Crawled through a pile of shit under the leaves once... does that count?

2Door

I don't like spiders!

I have three pitted holes in my right side from a pissed off/dead brown recluse spider. I was doing some cleaning in my barn and felt something crawling under my tee shirt. When I slapped my side I felt a bite. Then I grabbed at my shirt and felt another. When I finally got to see what it was I got a little worried. No sleep for me for three days. The pain just would not stop. I took some of my Vicodin but that just barely took the edge off the pain. Thank goodness I didn’t have a bad reaction but DAMN those things hurt.

One year I had a big black and yellow spider that would start a web every night across my walkway to the car. Every other morning for about a week I would walk straight into it in the dark. It usually caught me in the face. It took me a couple of minutes to get the chills out. Burrrr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rattlesnakes around Wyoming are getting terrible...

Isn't hard to find one most places below 6000 asl

Mothers day outing by Hudson, Wyoming

see hole of den on left lower of snakes
snakes.jpg

snakes2.jpg

look at link of kid in Cali. that got bitten by one.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

And another rattlesnake bite...
atrox_bite.jpg
</div></div>

HOLY SHIT THAT ARM IN THE LINK IS CRAZY!

I have always knew rattlesnakes where bad stuff. I have seen a few around my grandparents house ,but I have never knew that was what could happen if your were bitten by them. I have time now to write down some of my creatures encounters. I am not a sniper or in the military YET, but I have come across my creatures. I have seen many snakes. I even had a bull snake when I was little. My grandfather was know for brings snakes to the school I went when I was little. I have seen many spiders to. Last summer my step-dad, mother, and I were shooting at my grandparents farm. On the way back from town we decided to pick up some horse apples, they explode when you shoot them. While picking some of them up, I saw a nest of them right as my mother was picking up a horse about about a foot away from a nest of 3 copper heads. .45 FMJ's do bad things to copper heads. I had one yellow/black garden spiders , which I have always called banana spiders, call from my face to my to feet. I was walk in my grandfathers corn garden. When I cut across the rows I went right though a gardens spiders web. My uncle sat in deer blid with a rattle snake for 4 hours and didn't know it till he when to leave.

They guy had to have reacted badly or been allergic or something man I've never seen one like that.

Pretty insane. I'll be keeping my eyes open a little wider during camping season thanks to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is good post LMAO

I WAS NEVER A SNIPER but in the Corps I had a few interesting ones
Of course anyone ever in Camp Pendelton or 29 stumps knows these two
RW-tarantula-2-small.jpg

Scorpion-RLA3380.jpg

But here was a rare sighting at Ft. Carson, Colorado Springs (not this particular one,this is someone elses photo)
coloradosprings630pm.jpg

Yep... Bear I spotted one about 1000 yards out while sitting in an OP </div></div>

What is that first spider called?

This thread has really inspired me. I'm going to go crawl around in the woods now and see what I can find. Do you HAVE to take the stingers off scorpions before you eat them, or do the stingers have essential vitamins and minerals that are worth the risk?

Lol well I'm glad that I... um... gave you something to do?? Lol well take pictures too and post them up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairdebtlawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has really inspired me. I'm going to go crawl around in the woods now and see what I can find. Do you HAVE to take the stingers off scorpions before you eat them, or do the stingers have essential vitamins and minerals that are worth the risk?</div></div>
I would say cut the stingers off before you eat the scorpions because what if one of the stingers catches you in the tongue?

I crawled into a den of Rattlers while stalking Antelope in the flats in Idaho about 10 years ago. Talk about a tough one to back your way out of.