• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft creatures encountered on a stalk

Re: creatures encountered on a stalk

Click I do believe you have the best encounter I have ever heard! That is freakin intense! So exactly how did you go about backing out?

I was wondering along some power lines early one morning in Virginia when I happened to hear someone making a loud mmmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmm sound. I wondered over and at first thought that someone was having a stroke. I asked the poor fellow what his problem was but all he would do was say mmmmmmmm-mmmmmmmmm-mmmmmmm. Befuddled, I knelt down for a closer look at his face and only then noticed that the biggest copperhead I had ever seen just happened to have been stalking in the opposite direction. Their snouts were about 6 inches from each other. Telling the OP to go off the glass, I then instructed the lad to roll right on the "th" of three and proceeded to count to that number. At the aforementioned "th" sound I stomped down on the head of that snake.

Luckily, we had a nice ammo can on the truck and I was able to transfer him back to my office, where we constructed a nice living environment out of an old wooden ammo crate and some plexiglasss. I swear that he would spend entire days without moving. Every friday, I would race off to the pet store to purchase 1 white mouse and 1 darkly colored mouse. The snake would hit the first one with poison and then catch and eat the other alive. The instructor with the closest guessed time of both mice being completely gone would win the pot - normally 7 dollars. This worked for about a year and then some new management came in and made me give it away.

Plenty of spider bites and tick infections during those years.

Sorry for the delay in responding to the full story request. I didnt realize that anyone had asked.

Hell it was about 10 years ago now that I think about it. I was in the Persimeroy Valley in Central Idaho hunting Antelope back when there were still some in that damn valley(FUCKING WOLVES).

I was belly crawling with my Bow trying to get to a waterhole where I had seen a few bucks hanging around. I had to slide up and over a little cut bank that was all dirt and sand with Sage all over the top of the lip. As I started to make my way up I heard that wonderful ticking that you never want to hear while on your belly with a Bow in your hand. Then the real trouble came. Apparently that Cut Bank was the homestead of quite a large nest of those rattling critters. I always carry a .357 Snub nose on my ankle with Snake Shot for the few occasions I have run into snakes while hunting.

I couldn’t get my hand to the gun because just off my right hip was about a 2 footer all coiled up and ready to go... They always say don’t move, run, jump or in this case breathe. I pretty much had to wait them out. I laid there for the longest 45 minuets of my life and they all slowly moved off. When I did get to my feet I grabbed my piece and slowly worked my way out. There were roughly 12-15 around me at the time but I could only see 9 but could hear 5 or 6 more sounding off when the others would get active. I shot 7 total as I moved away and the others headed for there den.

Talk about Pucker Factor. I don’t think I shit for a week after that...
crazy.gif

Wow now that is scary stuff. I would not have pucked I would have shit all over my self. The wolves seen like an other good reason to go hunting.

I hunt south central Texas and the temperature doesn't seem to dip below 90 until after November. We have a lot of copperheads that blend in so well they are hard to see until you are right up on them. I always carry my Glock 35 even when I'm bow hunting. I slide it off my duty rig and keep it with me on a thigh holster. It has come in handy a time or two. If nothing else it sure makes me feel better. Especially when you hear a bunch of wild hogs coming your way.

i was riding my motorcycle to the store to get gas one day. well got there went in the store and payed. owne the way out i saw a good sized rat snake crawling out the ferrings. if he had come out on the road i would have had to let the bike go.

Very funny! It wouldn't have been if you were riding it and the snake came out. Try explaining that one to the highway patrol.

Once, doing (receiving) adult training (Wood Badge) at a Scout Camp (Pine Hill) in NJ mid-1970's, I was running flat out down a sunny trail along a ridge when I camet upon an Easern Diamondback sunning itself right in the middle of a trail.

Moderately big sucker, bein' honest; probably about 3ft long.

Too late to stop, too fast to swerve; I just launched myself as high and as far as I could as I passed over him, still accelerating for all I was worth.

Landed, kept goin' full-tilt-boogie..., got about two more steps and the dufus snake finally woke up and started rattling.

I know they're deaf, I know they can feel you coming by way of the ground tremors, know they can sense you with IR; but this was a truly edumacational moment..., any way you wanna slice it...

Greg

Canoeing in the Boundary Waters Wilderness near Ely MN 1972 I was portaging up a steep hill with one pack on my back and one on my front, head down looking where I stepped, and at the top of the hill...I walked face to face with a Moose ( 2' away) on the other side of the uphil trail,...Holy S... was I freaked out...we both froze and then the moose turned and ran away in the bush.

My first documented Scouting moment is recorded on my Bobcat rank card, issued in 1953.

Aside from military and some time off in the 80's to raise my only child Daughter through her teens, I've been active in scouting since at least then.

Back in the 70's, when I was a young Scoutmaster, I can recall taking the Troop for Church Call at Summer camp, and we spotted a Copperhead, lying still in a pile of dried leaves. I told everyine to keep their distance and not to take their eyes off the snake while I went for the pole/nooses and bags. I was never really into Herpetology, but I was the Summer Camp's official snake relocater anyway. By the time I made it back, the snake was still there, and nobody could point to it and tell me where. Them suckers have some GOOD camo. Well, long story short, we got 'im, and while they went to Worship, I was transporting 'Brownie' out to Rattlesnake Springs (3 miles out of Camp Mohican, Blairstown, NJ. Camp Mohican closed in '76, but while it was open, I spent most of 15 summers there, one way or another).

Am currently an Associate Advisor to a Venture Crew out of Watkins Glen, NY, and my particular assignment is as the Eagle Scout coordinator. Unit's been active three-four years, currently assisting Eagles numbers 3 and 4.

I love my work.

Now I know why God helped me through the Cancers and the Heart Attack...

Greg

Came across a pit once with 17 black widows in it.....figured out quickly how to avoid it.....have run across copperheads and rattlers too, but they are fairly easy to deal with...would rather deal with them than those #$@ spiders that you can hardly see!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quietman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Came across a pit once with 17 black widows in it.....figured out quickly how to avoid it.....have run across copperheads and rattlers too, but they are fairly easy to deal with...would rather deal with them than those #$@ spiders that you can hardly see! </div></div>

F*Ck That. I would prefer the snakes that those damn things. Had a buddy get hit by a Brown Recluse. Messed up all the nerve endings in his neck and shoulder. He cant even hold his head upright anymore because of it. Physical Therapy has helped him a bit but the doctors say he may never get the strenght back in his neck much less his shoulder.

that rattle snake den freaks me out... i'd be inclinded to put a 40mm into it! and run like shit

When I was at Ft. Carson we always had scorpions in the showers at tank gunnery. Don't want to step on one with the flip flops. Saw some huge prairie rattlers on the tank trails. We ran over them with a Humvee and then looked back and didn't see them. Kinda wondered where they went for a while. Saw a baby sidewinder at NTC. He was very little and very pissed off. We went our separate ways. Almost stepped on a copperhead at Ft. Knox. Have had a few semi-close encounters up here with brown bears. Gets you a bit concerned when you see baby but don't see mama. There are others on here with far more bear encounters than I.

I can vouch for the poison ivy on the face. That is some bad juju. I was having a hard time breathing for a while.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was at Ft. Carson we always had scorpions in the showers at tank gunnery. Don't want to step on one with the flip flops. Saw some huge prairie rattlers on the tank trails. We ran over them with a Humvee and then looked back and didn't see them. Kinda wondered where they went for a while. Saw a baby sidewinder at NTC. He was very little and very pissed off. We went our separate ways. Almost stepped on a copperhead at Ft. Knox. Have had a few semi-close encounters up here with brown bears. Gets you a bit concerned when you see baby but don't see mama. There are others on here with far more bear encounters than I.

I can vouch for the poison ivy on the face. That is some bad juju. I was having a hard time breathing for a while.

Jim </div></div>

Bears are sneaky mofos. I've had a few choice encounters.

Seeing the babies always worries me more than seeing the big'uns.

Once I visited Alaska when I was like 10 or 11. We stayed at a few campsites in a few different cities. So I was at this one campsire and there was this trail that I walked for a few days at this campsite I stayed at. One night the camp director guy came walking around and warned us that there was a bear in the site. Being the curious guy I am I asked him how they knew. So he was like well we found some tracks up on this trail. So again I was like ummm what trail is that? It was the exact one that I had been walking. To further my knowledge I was like when did you think he passed? They said about an hour ago it looks like. As the story goes I had been walking on the trail and the bear was right behind me. I had no clue, but it followed me for along way. Needless to say I didn't walk on many trails that trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: psychoguitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say cut the stingers off before you eat the scorpions because what if one of the stingers catches you in the tongue? </div></div>
I'd just put a tongue stud through the hole. Then I'd be like everybody else at my church.

I have seen all kinds of chit in the woods. I am not a sniper, but as a hunter and a country boy that spent every waking minute in the woods of South Mississippi and all parts of Louisiana trying to kill or learn something from the minute I could walk until now I have met some interesting creatures. I the south cottonmouths sometimes climb trees and I had one crawl down a limb and rest his head on my shoulder not to mention how many dozens have fallen in the boat going down creeks. I have smelled the belly of a Eastern Diamondback and any of you boys that have spent time at Camp Shelby, MS know how big they get on base thanks to my dad who held my head to it until I wouldn't forget the smell while walking through the woods. I have met spiders and centipedes and Grizzly Bears (in Alaska, boy they are curious creatures) and gators and snakes, and yellow jacket nests and more ants and ticks than should be allowed to live. Its all part of being out there no matter if your hunting humans or beast your in their neighborhood so expect to see them.

PS covies of Quail in the dark will fuck you up as well while on a stalk

Rats. BFing rats. It rain so hard at night you couldn't hear them until you felt them. We didn't care about the bugs and snakes but the rats would keep you awake.

TeppoKa , I used to hunt up near Camp Shelby in the Desoto and can vouch full on about flushing a covey of quail , it will certainly get your blood pumping.

Worst thing I ever got into was ground hornets , got 16 stings to the head and arms several years ago crawling up on a field full of turkeys. The damn fire ants down here are a constant problem and those little bastards seem to wait till everybody is in place and bite all at once

bugs don't realy bother my but like most others here I realy don't like spiders !!

HAAAA!! This is an excellent post. Thanks for putting it in. You wouldn't beleive the amount of crap that you get laying in a FFP for days. Consider yourself a beacon calling out to every fire ant, mozzy, spider, Giant bugs, snakes, etc. I got to thinkin about it once whilst layin there. I was the stranger in these things habitat. of course they want to investigate. The real sad thing of it is that in an actual op you cant stand up and shake the bugs off. you have to lay there and take it. You are at the mercy as a sniper. there are odourless powders and sprays that you can use. The flame retardent that you use on the ghille helps as well. You have to be cautious though as dogs can smell this shit. Good post. Get to tell some of the most memorable things. Shooting is easy. Having to endure is another thing. You learn a whole new level of patience.

I solved a problem with stuff crawling into my camo while hunting. I used Marigolds(The flowering plant).

Apparantly bugs and some spiders don't like the smell they make.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will de-ass your Ghillie in a heart beat over fire ants,had a buddy med-vac out over poison ivy that he had got on his lips that caused an allergenic reaction he almost died from air way restriction.Before you go to ground look down,theres alot of shit out there that will kill you fast or kill you slow and some of the worst I've seen was in South America and Asian. </div></div>

Fire ants are a bitch. </div></div>

+1

My crawling around constist of 2 bad happening's. One was the fire ant's; worse of all. It's like they all snuck on me and time hacked my ass. They all bit at one time it sucked. And it's hard as hell to get them off because they are all small.

The second time was prickly pair cactus. Not the large stickers but the tiny portion of barbs that surround the larger ones ended up all over my hands lower lip and some in my mouth.

As far as the bananna spider "wandering spider"; they are not as bad as people think they are. The bite hurts like a bitch but unless you have a severe elergic reaction your going to be fine. Same goes with the so feared camel spider, black widow etc. The brown recluse and hobo spider require hospitolization reguardless of who you are. It is possible to require amputaion if not treated lol.

I wouldn't worry about the known to much gent's. There are much worse thing's out there such as the unknown. For example there are new species of what could be horrible for your body if you will out there. But than again the mesquito kills more people on the planet than anything else in the world does. Africanized Honey Bees would also suck when you are trying to be tactical lol. I think the plain old honey bee kills more people every year than all the snake species in the world do put together.

These are a few of the over 1000 new speicies found in Vietnam between 1997-2007

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gumprecht's green pit viper</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Heteropoda maxima</span> <span style="font-style: italic">Worlds largest spider?</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pseudopoda confusa</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Dragon Millipede</span> <span style="font-style: italic">Produces cyanide</span>

WARNING: Be aware of the dragon rabbit that guards the dungeon entrance!

LW

While working on the pipeline in Alaska in 1975, I filled in for Oiler who went down from camp to be with pregnant wife. I am under a Scrapper, ( earth mover ), we have a light truck with whole area lit up. I see two eyes out of light in darkness. We saw alot of silver and some red foxes so I thought well hell I had three sandwiches anyway, I tear one in half and throw half in the dark let the critter get hungry and curious. I wait awhile, then throw second half into light where I can see. Out steps the biggest wolf I have ever seen, He eats half of sandwich and cominces eyeballing me, like damn I wonder if that fat boy tastes half as good as he looks. I do the quick shuffle out from under the scrapper crawl up on top, shut cab door. We sit and eye ball each other for awhile, then he finally trots off into the dark never to be seen again. I finished shift, went back to camp, changed panties, and promised my self to not throw food away again. I was more alert from then on
smile.gif

Got a trouser leg full of fire ants when I was QRF NCOIC in Bragg out on Sicily DZ's AO. THAT was an eye opening experience! That little group of red motherfuckers put a freakin hurt on my leg and burned worse than fire! ALl my squad was looking and having a hell of a laugh at my expense, man was I pissed as I tried to get that shit off and wash my leg down with a canteen!
Spiders, had one bite my arm when I was a kid and put a golf ball sized lump on my left bicep. Hate spiders, but the thing I will always be afraid of:
nancy_pelosi_004.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Years ago, my brother was over helping me with something, and a fire ant climbed up the inside of his jeans leg and bit him on the scrote(he was going commando).
wink.gif
shocked.gif

I thought it was funny at the time until I got bitten on the Achilles tendon some years later(noted above).</div></div>

Yes, that is exactly what happened to me other than 90% were below the waste. Luckily for me I was wearing some bicylce type underwear and they were not able to reach no mans land.
You don't notice the bastards are on you until they all start biting at the same time. They do say not to attempt to smash them while your clothes are still on lol. Fuck that I looked like a jackass smacking myself all over my legs and waste line. I had a soldier trying to help getmy pants off; I am sure that looked funny in the eyes of other's.

I will deal with ANY insect or small animal over that cyinide millipede though lol.

Lw

I hate spiders, just can't stand em. Snakes I'm cool with (my retarded ass has pictures somewhere of a very large copperhead that I just kept having to get a better close up of-and the camera didn't have a zoom).
NTC I found a scorpion had crawled up under my IBA, BDU top, and tshirt when I sat down waiting on the buses to take us in for a shower--that will freak you out when it runs up your back after you take your shirt off.
I can't really say I've run into to anything like say a wolverine, but there is one animal that I would rather run into every other animal in this thread than meet these little bastards again.........I hate chiggers.... Worst I ever had them was during one of the final days of one the Scout classes at Tom Brown's Tracker School. At least 160 bites (160 is the number I stopped counting at) over both ankles. Cellulitis and almost a systemic infection from them. Couldn't walk right for 2 weeks, and don't get me started on the itching-amputation was looking like a viable option.

NEver seen as many spiders as I have here in Florida. Frackin nutz.

The banana spiders are all over the place, not poisonous but its a nasty bite. The last experience with em we were trecking through ankle-deep water, almost a swamp, and the damn spiders had webs across almost every frackin sabal palm. I stopped counting in the 30s, the number I brushed off my sleeves and legs. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end the whole week after that.

BRs and BWs to count just sitting on the porches and sidewalks. Never seen that shizernit up north.

Damn creepy crawlies. Banana spiders look like this down here though, a little different than what one of the OPs posted.

Fire ants once, big red ants once (face to the ground and right though them, that sucked.)
Scorpion once and some kind spider once, scorpion in the neck, spider in the face - both sucked. hard.

There are things about the Corps I miss, field day ain't one, and insects on my person ain't the other. (Off topic, there is also no special place in my heart for those asshole amourers who wore it as a badge of honor that no one's weapon went in the cage on the first pass.)Bitches.

On my LAST stalk of SSBC at Pendleton, I needed a 100 to pass. After skull dragging like 400 yards, I finally made it to my FFP. It was a HUGE bush that was extremely thick. I started cutting into it with my veg clippers. I got about 4 feet into this bush when I could finally burn a window and see the OP. I vegged up my ghillie, tripod, and gun. I set everything up, found my window again, made sure I could ID, and started to sqeeze the trigger. It was at this point I heard something right above my head. I barely looked up and to my horror saw a HUGE, HAIRY spider staring me in the face. I damn near pissed myself haha. But like I said, I needed a 100 or I was going to get dropped from the course. So I said fuck it and shot. Long story short I got my 100, and got the FUCK outta that bush real quick like!!

I'm not a sniper but when stalking deer in eastern Kansas about 8 years ago, I came across a cougar. First but not the last time I've seen one, but that one definitely game me a scare. He was about 30 yards ahead of me and looked right at me but seemed pretty disinterested and disappeared into the brush. Needless to say, I was on high alert as I slowly retreated from the area. I could have shot the bastard but the F&G doesn't take too kindly to that. Had it attacked, I'm not sure I would have gotten off more than one shot.

Hello, new here; first post.

Seems like we're all agreed on spiders.

My stories: woke one morning with an egg-sized lump on my side, itched like a mofo

another morning, i woke with a bad itch on my leg. over the next few days, i had this round, dry looking spot with red veins radiating out from it

both of those happened in my own bed... WTF?!?!

my bear story:
trout fishing in the eastern sierras with an old buddy
few days earlier we heard the story about how at the beginning of the season, they found evidence that a bear wintered in a rental cabin. one night we had a bear sniffing around our tent...

i knew i should have left the candy bar outside...

HA!! Thats funny shit mate. Yea, bloody horrible when something like that happens. You know you cant just get up and stomp the bitch, and you know you have to hit the mark, so you have to just lay there and spit and blow at the fucker (hoping he'll piss off) until its time to take the shot.

Sorry but this is the best I can come up with. Not as knarly as a cougar or getting stomped by a moose. But read on if you must kill time. I live in Michigan and we dont have too many problems with spiders, snakes and, ants. Although, I have had my fair share of run-ins with all of those bastards. Maybe I will elaborate on a few of them later. My personal best happened when I went on my first bow-hunting trip on a fairly remote island around Michigans upper. I think I was about 18. I got the bow two days before leaving. Really the first time with a bow also. It had three different arrows(lengths,shafts, tips) and I could not shoot worth the dam. Not to mention it was a right handed bow and I shoot left. I went in about a mile (solo)and found really good sign and paths. While scouting the area I noticed small parts of a whitetail(hair mainly) protruding out of the ground. I did not think much of it and I sat under a tree about 30 yards from it. Needless to say bears tend to bury them and return later. Guess who showed up and hit the brakes when he caught wind of me. So I proceed to stand up and present myself(full camo). I think he was curious and pissed at the same time. I stood there holding a bow in one hand and pulled my knife out with the other. I figured knife was my best bet. It took me a couple of trys to muster it up but I yelled "move it fucker" he moved closer nodding his head. Almost like he was thinking what the Fu... are you. I repeated the same phrase one more time with arms in the air. He was about 6 yards from me. I was in full fight or flight at this point ready to tangle. I knew it was worthless to run. Them sons of bitches are fast. And he showed me that when I spotted him coming in. They are fluid like through the woods. He thankfully left and so did I. The hunt was over for that day. Now I know that a male isnt all the bad its the mother with the baby that will get you into trouble. Three years ago I got pinned in a tree(pitch black) by at least a 400pounder. I am sitting in the tree not wanting to leave listening for yotes etc.. when I hear what sounds to be about four deer come crashing through the underbrush. This was over a bait pile and the stubborn basterd came crashing in and would not leave. I yelled at this big sob for 15 minutes. Hes like screw you I am eating. He finally got a nice burst of buck shot over his head. He moved on but not too far. I got down and I heard that sob walking around. I crept out quietly so I could here if he was advancing on me. I wont get into be surrounded by yotes in complete darkness in a swamp, stalking through another forest, stopping and nealing down to feel something striking my leg..Low and behold its snake biting me. I hate them frickers with a passion I jumped five feet laterally. The porcupine that crawled almost into my lap. The red tail hawk landing at the base of my tree stand(near feet) almost got a picture of him with my camera phone.
Did I mention the marine (just out of basic training about 1982)that was attempting to babysit me and a bunch of other 12 year old boys. Yea, we had a great patch of woods to play capture the flag. Well I was a arrogant little pric and let him know. When I stalked him and caught him off gaurd he had enough. He hog tied me with twine (arms and legs) and left me on the biggest freaking red aunt hill I had ever seen. I got a few licks but nothing of the likes these other fellas have encountered. You should of seen the look on his face when I came back maybe a half hour later laughing. I chewed through the arm restraint but had to hop back home. I was pissed off, angry and confused but I never let him know that..ha Alright I passed enough time gotta see if I got another rabbit in the trap. .177 caliber pellet gets to rore sometimes also.

I almost forgot about this one:
While with the team, we were patrolling deep into a triple canopy rain forest. However it was the dry season, so while humidity was high, it was not raining.
I was fatigued, and ready for a break. the LT called a trail break, and I flopped down on my ruck, without taking it off. I sort of fell back against this big tree, covered with vines, while swiping my boonie hat off my head. Immediately, a 10 inch (at least) Centipede fell out of the vines, onto the top of my head, stinging me three times. This all happened in a split second, but there was sufficient time to see the head-end flop over my face, hear the clatter of it's armor, and feel three deep sting on the back of my head. I instantly snatched it off my head, and threw it to the ground, where my buddy stomped the heck out of it. In mere seconds, the back of my head swelled up with three distinct bumps about the size of goose eggs, that eventually blended together. I was sick to my stomach, dizzy, and in the worst pain I had ever experienced.
I hate those things with a vengeance.

Ft. Stewart in the 80's. Mech unit I was attached to pulls into a herringbone defensive position during the early AM. Drop ramps and everyone gets some sleep. In the morning everyone awakes to see in the center a depression full of water and an alligator at least 12 ft long. Pucker factor was high.

Cougar and Black Panther sightings in south Alabama on LP/OP's. Game folks will tell you there is no such thing there, but we saw them.

Asleep in the woods as a boy when I should have been watching the cows like I was told to. When I woke up a snake was sleeping next to me for warmth (Late Fall). Don't remember what kind he was, we both woke up at the same time and egreesed in opposite directions at speed.

This past year, I open the front door to take our little dog out to pee before we go to bed. When I open the door and walk out I am face to face with a skunk. I ran inside and he ran the other way.
This happened another time on a stalk in the 90's, thank God he was not in combat mode that day.

Damn fine thread and a great site!

A different kind of "creature". My LE Sniper / Observer partner and I enroute to cover apartment door for a search warrant on an armed crack dealer. On the way we go past an abandoned farm corn crib containing....a parole absconder actively cooking meth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, Snakes more than once, but never with any issue, although there was this one unruly Habu in Oki he was giving it an effort. I was put down twice by spiders, having adverse negative reactions, and I know other people who have been hit by them at one time or another, including a nice banana spider bite to the face... as well I have run into yellow jackets that decided my camouflage wasn't nearly good enough. Never had an issue with ants, but I was never in a heavy ant area.. spiders are far more common and can wreck your day.

it happens and it sucks, but you deal with it. </div></div>

I once had a run in with a Kappa Kappa Gamma's burbing spider

Fill out your profile I need to know the state I need to stay away from
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost forgot about this one:
While with the team, we were patrolling deep into a triple canopy rain forest. However it was the dry season, so while humidity was high, it was not raining.
I was fatigued, and ready for a break. the LT called a trail break, and I flopped down on my ruck, without taking it off. I sort of fell back against this big tree, covered with vines, while swiping my boonie hat off my head. Immediately, a 10 inch (at least) Centipede fell out of the vines, onto the top of my head, stinging me three times. This all happened in a split second, but there was sufficient time to see the head-end flop over my face, hear the clatter of it's armor, and feel three deep sting on the back of my head. I instantly snatched it off my head, and threw it to the ground, where my buddy stomped the heck out of it. In mere seconds, the back of my head swelled up with three distinct bumps about the size of goose eggs, that eventually blended together. I was sick to my stomach, dizzy, and in the worst pain I had ever experienced.
I hate those things with a vengeance.</div></div>

spiders arent always a bad thing ya bunch of nancy's.
i recall a time and place where on a particular evening the mosquitos were swarming insanely and i was very much in danger of dying of sheer volume of blood these suckers were pumping out of me when suddenly this vampire-like assault ended abruptly. i slowly looked over at my shoulder when i felt something crawly and noticed a large wolf spider sittin there dining on several mosquito corpses. i let him hang out for quite awhile blood sucker free and with a new friend.lol

I use a Ghillie hunting up here in Alaska, well this last year I was in a nice hide "getting out of the rain" watching a bottem of a valley. I had a Sow Brown Bear come upwind of me and Nurse her two cubs at about 15 yards. Pucker facter went up a knoch or two. Se stayed there for about an hour and a half. The bad part was a buck walked up to my tall tail. Right at 450 yards.

Bugs and Snakes are bad, but to have a VW Bug that can eat you still gives me the shakes.