• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion CORE Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

Recently built the AR upper with this exact same barrel. Read some similar build questions so here I go.

I built it using criterion core 16” using V7 titanium micro muzzle brake. Headspace BCM bolt with SA carrier.

Gas block is Superlative arms piston clamp on system. Had hard time finding a handguard that won’t touch this gas block so I am going with ergo handguard that has ID of 2.1”

Got lmt lower with sd-e trigger and optic is Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44

First time I took it out yesterday was able to get good bulls eye accuracy at 100yds but it was not consistent. I wonder if it’s not broken in yet as the OP stated
Consistent check weld pressure and consistent collar bone pressure with the stock lightly touching my neck is very important for semi auto. I’m assuming you already have a good straight back trigger press and hold.

Last edited:
core_barrel_muzzle_break_alignment_gauge-2284728.jpg

I am never disappointed when I buy a Criterion barrel. I love them!

Thanks for the write up! Just ordered a 14.5” from Criterion for my Tactical Games/Sniper Adventure Challenge build. What are people running for buffer/spring combos with this barrel?

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Thanks for the write up! Just ordered a 14.5” from Criterion for my Tactical Games/Sniper Adventure Challenge build. What are people running for buffer/spring combos with this barrel?
My 18" CORE with rifle length gas cycles smooth and reliable so far with just under 200 rnds through it. Using the A5 & standard VLTOR buffer .

Attachments

• Resized_20220305_182312~3_29780666840878.jpeg
    Resized_20220305_182312~3_29780666840878.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 217
Just got my 14.5 Criterion Core together in a LaRue 2.0 Stealth chassis. Took it to the range to sight in my SAI 1-6 and was very encouraged by the results. First was a 5 shot group after taking a few shots to get on paper and then adjusting the scope. Group two was a 10 shop group I did in honor of @Molon directly after group one and another upward scope adjustment. Distance was 100 yards. FGMM 69gr OTM. I can live with this.

IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Just got my 14.5 Criterion Core together in a LaRue 2.0 Stealth chassis. Took it to the range to sight in my SAI 1-6 and was very encouraged by the results. First was a 5 shot group after taking a few shots to get on paper and then adjusting the scope. Group two was a 10 shop group I did in honor of @Molon directly after group one and another upward scope adjustment. Distance was 100 yards. FGMM 69gr OTM. I can live with this.

View attachment 7824976View attachment 7824977

Strong work!
strong_work_gif-2321539.gif

View attachment 7824976View attachment 7824977

How was the fit of the Criterion Core barrel extension in the LaRue 2.0 Stealth chassis ??

Nice shootin!
Are you happy with your recoil impulse and ejection patern?
What spring and buffer weight?
Flash hider or brake?
Thanks

Nice shootin!
Are you happy with your recoil impulse and ejection patern?
What spring and buffer weight?
Flash hider or brake?
Thanks
Thanks! I used a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. Ejecting at about 3:30. Recoil is the sweetest I’ve had without using a break. I had a Dead Air Xeno mount flash hider pinned and welded for a future Dead air Nomad suppressor. Standard weight JP Silent Captured spring. LaRue MBT trigger. Lantac E-BCG.

Thanks for the great discussions gents! I've only had great products from criterion and have been eyeing their new CORE 300 Blackout barrels. Can't wait to hear how they do but figure it's a safe bet that it'll be a knockout. It'll pair great with my 16" Hybrid in 223 Wylde set-up

I’ve got a 16” CORE in Larue upper with their MLOK handguard. It shot sub 1” group at 100 yards with 10 rounds of federal 62gr FMJ. I put that barrel into a gieselle upper with MK16 handguard and 1-8x XTR2 SFP. I love that setup.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Excellent post as always!
A question: Do you "break-in" new AR barrels in any fashion, or just shoot them to smooth things out?

Random questions: Do you ever use factory loads to do some of these tests? Also, what kind of firing schedule do you use for these tests?

Excellent post as always!
A question: Do you "break-in" new AR barrels in any fashion, or just shoot them to smooth things out?

For chrome-lined barrels, I typically shoot 200 rounds through them before doing accuracy testing. For match-grade stainless steel barrels, I'll do a very short break-in procedure to burnish to the tool marks in the lead and gas port.