• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion CORE series barrels

Agreed. My Criterion 12.5" hybrid with a 1/8 does just fine with heavies. Not all, and in fact some loads are just terrible 5 MOA garbage. I have a factory Barnes load at 55gr I think that does just that. Looks like buck shot looking at the target.
But heavier Hornady or Federal I get 1 to 1.5 MOA.

Reactions: Bakwa
I'm thinking it's the 1/8 twist in the shorter 14.5" barrel. What do you all think?
I don't think that at all.
Barrel twist blaming in AR's is way overplayed, usually it's just ammo that doesn't agree with your barrel. I've got a 13.7 and two 14.5 8 twists that shoot 77's great. But I've got a Core 14.5 on the way so I'll get to see if mine does what yours is doing.

I have a Criterion 14.5" hybrid in 1/8 twist. It won't shoot heavy ammo for crap. I've tried IMI 77gr, PMC Sierra 77gr, Hornady BTHP 75gr, etc... and it shoots 2"-3.5" 5-shot groups at 100m.
However, it shoots PMC, PPU, Fed 55gr stuff about 1.5" at 100m, & Black Hills, MK318 62gr stuff under 1" at 100m.
I'm thinking it's the 1/8 twist in the shorter 14.5" barrel. What do you all think?

I have a 12.5" 1-8 ARP that shoots heavies as good as their 18", the only difference is velocity.

Reactions: Bakwa
Dang. Perhaps I need to give Criterion a call then. I've shot at least 4 heavy loads that are known good shooters in my other barrels and they all shoot garbage out of my 1/8 twist 14.5" Hybrid.

@Bakwa she shoots. First 3 shots at 60 yards with 77gr Noslers and 23.4gr of 8208, and the rest were similar. Didn't measure the group but looks like 5/16" to me. Plenty far enough under MOA for what I want this rifle to do. No problem with the 400yd 8" plate with a 6x optic.

Attachments

• 20201226_123844.jpg
    20201226_123844.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 78
I have had very good results with a number of Criterion barrels. They know what they are doing and continue to innovate. It is a nice intermediate point from mass produced CHF barrels and single cut rifling.

What I don't understand is why 1:8 Wyde instead of 1:7 on an AR / 5.56mm barrel.

So is there a downside of going the Hybrid route outside of weight?

So far really pleased early on with my 12.5. Gassed well with an H3 buffer and a normal spring. 4-5 ejection without the can and 3:30 or so with the can on. No gas in the face and no tuning adjustable blocks. So I would not shy away from this barrel for a supressed or unsupressed build. Probably drop down to an H buffer or so to make sure it always locked back on steel if you shoot that.

So far only shot bulk fmj and green tip with irons but it’s doing well with that especially right out of the gate. Better than I expected accuracy wise. I Have some 75 bthp and might toss 10x42 on it to really see what it can do, even though it’s not the purpose of this gun it would be fun.

With my turbo k on it it swings like a 16” government, which is awesome, very well balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Appreciate it, I picked up a hybrid. Sure is lighter than my Noveske Afghan!

Another short session with a high quality experience behind the 18"CORE. Ran another 100 rnds of 77 grain Razor Core 5.56 through it doing positional drills and transitions. Action feels like it's getting smoother as I go. Recoil impulse is sweet, and follow-up shots are very fast. Pleasure to shoot.

MSTN built with my VLTOR MUR A1 upper :
18"CORE
JP Enhanced Bolt
Milspec carrier
VLTOR A5 /H2
Surefire SOCOM Brake
Geissele SDC 2 stage

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_121313.jpg
    IMG_20210213_121313.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
I sent him a message, probably need to switch my barrel to a 14.5 to fit the KAC 3.1 13.5 handguard.

Another short session with a high quality experience behind the 18"CORE. Ran another 100 rnds of 77 grain Razor Core 5.56 through it doing positional drills and transitions. Action feels like it's getting smoother as I go. Recoil impulse is sweet, and follow-up shots are very fast. Pleasure to shoot.

MSTN built with my VLTOR MUR A1 upper :
18"CORE
JP Enhanced Bolt
Milspec carrier
VLTOR A5 /H2
Surefire SOCOM Brake
Geissele SDC 2 stage
Any updates on this barrel? Curious how it's doing on accuracy. I'd like to order a 14.5 so let me know what you find.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Any updates on this barrel? Curious how it's doing on accuracy. I'd like to order a 14.5 so let me know what you find.