• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion CORE series barrels

I’ve heard they were a good value. Just didn’t like the weight being on the end. Guess I’ll have to get one to try.

I think the HYBRID barrels have more weight (larger diameter) forward of the gas block.
Pretty much ,I will tell you that I love the Hybrid series.
I have 3 of them and all three are lasers.
The only dislikes are weight, I have 16" 18" and the 20" and they all make for a long day humping

I think the HYBRID barrels have more weight (larger diameter) forward of the gas block.
CORE Barrel on string.jpg

If you're looking for a barrel that can handle lots of heat but is also very well balanced, I think you will really like the CORE Series. The continuous taper design gets rid of steps in the barrel that hold heat at various rates when the barrel heats and cools off during use. Thin spots heat up and cool off more quickly, while heavier portions heat up more slowly but then retain heat longer... This can create consistency issues when using the rifle as barrel steel expands and becomes more flexible as it heats up. The CORE Series uniformly dissipates heat and remains very consistent during use (more like a typical bolt gun barrel). Material around the chamber absorbs heat and keeps the balance near the shooter for increased control, while the front remains balanced and fast, which increases handling. This is especially important for those who move with their rifles and use modern accessories that mount to the front end of a rifle (i.e. suppressors, lights, lasers, clip on night vision etc.). Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

-Michael Ross

Steve if you're reading this, kudos. There are more recoil 'moments' in a gas gun than bolt gun, and you are on same track as we've been working on here. Takes a barrelmaker

Later

JR

Does anyone have any more updates on the CORE series? I have not been able to find out much info. I am specifically looking for info on the 12.5”. TIA

Reactions: JS8588
Interested in the 12.5 Carbine gas as well. My primary concern is they're reportedly a little under gassed (.062-.064 gas port). For anyone intending to suppress it, that's perfect. I do not own nor do I plan to own a suppressor.

Interested in the 12.5 Carbine gas as well. My primary concern is they're reportedly a little under gassed (.062-.064 gas port). For anyone intending to suppress it, that's perfect. I do not own nor do I plan to own a suppressor.

From their site: Gas hole tuned for proper function with and without suppressor

Criterion generally has a good handle............................

MM

I know I don't run an adjustable block on my 12.5" Wylde Hybrid profile barrel and she runs good with and without a can (Sandman S). Run it with an H2 and Hot White Sprinco Spring. I expect Criterion to know what they are doing when it comes to gas port size. Haven't ran it without a can with cheap weak loads though. So who knows it may not cycle with those or lock back. Not to derail but what constitutes weak trash ammo anyways? Bear? I always hear about weak ammo, but never a brand attached.

That's the barrel I plan on putting on my upcoming go to rifle build in either 16 or 18" not sure which yet though....

My 223 wylde hybrid profile shoots like its possessed. Its a bit heavy for a coyote rig though. This CORE barrel seems like just what the doctor ordered. According to the website, its half a pound lighter than the hybrid profile barrel. Sounds like my two hybrid profile AR's are about to be dedicated target rigs and I'm about to have a new hunting setup.

Any word on a 308 core series coming?

I though coyote hunting you just set up shop and try and call them into you. Seems like for that you would be perfectly fine with a heavy gun... just interested in how you do it.

Interested as well, especially the 14.5”, suppressed full time. Being thinner up front, do groups open up more as it warms up with a can on the end?

I already know I want a hybrid profile for one of my more precision/recce-style builds. Was thinking about the Core for a lighter build if it still handles suppressor heat POI shift fairly well. I’m not talking mag-dumps, but something along the lines of a higher volume carbine course.

TIA!

My 14.5 CORE is 2-3 weeks out . Hoping it likes 77 TMK and IMI Razor core 77gr 5.56 (my burner choice) for classes. Planning on heating her up and getting her dirty out to 400y max. VLTOR MUR A1 ; JP FMOS BCG (headspaced) ; A5 H2 , Geissele Mk 8....

Last edited:
Looks a lot like a DD s2w contour. They never sold a lot of those.

Also I like that criterion is the affordable arm of Krieger but that marketing video was horrible 🤮

Krieger Barrels Inc. has nothing to do with Criterion Barrels and has not for quite some time.

I think you were shooting for "independent" from Krieger these days.

They still got to where they are now because of that relationship with Krieger. I've owned a few of their button rifled ar barrels over the years and first purchased because of that Krieger name recognition.

I think you were shooting for "independent" from Krieger these days.

They still got to where they are now because of that relationship with Krieger. I've owned a few of their button rifled ar barrels over the years and first purchased because of that Krieger name recognition.

No, I was "shooting for" exactly what I said. The video you posted was from almost a decade ago and Criterion Barrels aren't in the same league as Krieger Barrels, Inc. single-point cut-rifled barrels and it's pathetic that people try to pretend that they are by falsely claiming that Criterion Barrels is an "arm of Krieger".

No, I was "shooting for" exactly what I said. The video you posted was from almost a decade ago and Criterion Barrels aren't in the same league as Krieger Barrels, Inc. single-point cut-rifled barrels and it's pathetic that people try to pretend that they are by falsely claiming that Criterion Barrels is an "arm of Krieger".

Then I didn't understand what you were getting at.

Who's saying they are or were ever the same as Krieger? They were and still continue to be the affordable option. Watch the video they marketed as the "cheaper button rifled option" arm of Krieger.

They make button rifled hand lapped barrels. Mine have been ok but nothing stellar to rave about.

Reactions: RTV
I bought a Criterion Core barrel just to look down it with my borescope.

Then, I ordered ten.

That nice huh? I am torn between a Criterion Core and a Centurion Lightweight Hammer forged and a long ways off a Noveske. I am not interested in multiple 12.5” which is why I am still deciding.

Reactions: MSTN and JS8588
Might want to check these out (also same from CMC).

No info from anyone that has one yet so nothing 1st.................almost reads like a Douglas land.groove spec & H&M nitriding is Rubber City Armory's product line.

If anyone has any info or insights, please post it up.

San Tan Tactical Barrel

MM

I am toying with the idea of a pin/welded 14.5" in the near future, but precision will be key. Can't wait to hear the results of this barrel series before I have to drop Kreiger or Bartlein money... I have a feeling I will be spending more going non-CL just to be safe.

I am toying with the idea of a pin/welded 14.5" in the near future, but precision will be key. Can't wait to hear the results of this barrel series before I have to drop Kreiger or Bartlein money... I have a feeling I will be spending more going non-CL just to be safe.

If you need Krieger or bartlein accuracy get a Krieger or bartlein.

I would not expect the CORE series to be substantially more accurate than the hybrid chrome lined barrels they currently sell which while very accurate especially for a chrome lined barrel is still a compromise in accuracy compared to a top of the line stainless barrel in exchange for the extra corrosion resistance and barrel life.

Reactions: longshot2000
And i surely wouldn't bother with a 14.5 Kreiger or Bartlein barrel, unless I was going to put a high-powered optic.............the gain for the pain just ain't justified, given the accuracy of today's CL'ed or nitrided CV barrels.

In that kind of gun, for 99.9% of it's targeted use, consistent 1.5 MOA is plenty good enough except for paper punching for bragging rights on the internet.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

Last edited:
And i surely wouldn't bother with a 14.5 Kreiger or Bartlein barrel, unless I was going to put a high-powered optic.............the gain for the pain just ain't justified, the the accuracy of today's CL'ed or nitrided CV barrels.

In that kind of gun, for 99.9% of it's targeted use, consistent 1.5 MOA is plenty good enough except for paper punching for bragging rights on the internet.

I would rather not spend that coin on those brands either for this rifle, but sometimes you gotta pay to play. NF 2.5-10x24 is going to ride on top. Will likely make a dedicated post when I actually go for it, but hoping to get reliable 1-moa with some of the heavier bullets. I already have that with my current barrel, but the goal is to shed a little weight and length.

Last edited:
Anybody shot one of these yet?

Looking at a 12.5 seems like the perfect length for a light run around supressed carbine

Reactions: Marker36
Anybody shot one of these yet?

Looking at a 12.5 seems like the perfect length for a light run around supressed carbine

Don't have the Criterion, but I do have a 12.5 with a short Turbo K on the end. It's awesome. About an inch shorter than my 16" rifle with a 3 sport brake. Fed XM193 still clocks 2875 fps.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Don't have the Criterion, but I do have a 12.5 with a short Turbo K on the end. It's awesome. About an inch shorter than my 16" rifle with a 3 sport brake. Fed XM193 still clocks 2875 fps.
Yup, I will also be using a turbo k on mine. Awesome little cans.

Update: Plot twist.

Since my last post I picked up a pinned KAC 14.5 E3 Mod2 MLok upper over the 14.5 CORE build. The last time I posted , CORONA panic buying limited my access to parts , so I changed course on the CORE shorty build. The KAC Shoots like butta BTW 😎 .

So now that parts are starting to come back onto the shelves, I decided to go toward an 18-in rifle length CORE barrel build instead.

My main goal is a flat/soft shooting rifle that swings like a carbine with a higher degree of accuracy . But I want to be able to drive it hard if necessary without smoking the barrel.

It's almost done.I'll repost with range report and chrono numbers when available.

~ TP

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_075839.jpg
    IMG_20201119_075839.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Reactions: Cmiracle
Update: Plot twist.

Since my last post I picked up a pinned KAC 14.5 E3 Mod2 MLok upper over the 14.5 CORE build. The last time I posted , CORONA panic buying limited my access to parts , so I changed course on the CORE shorty build. The KAC Shoots like butta BTW 😎 .

So now that parts are starting to come back onto the shelves, I decided to go toward an 18-in rifle length CORE barrel build instead.

My main goal is a flat/soft shooting rifle that swings like a carbine with a higher degree of accuracy . But I want to be able to drive it hard if necessary without smoking the barrel.

It's almost done.I'll repost with range report and chrono numbers when available.

~ TP
Nice. Interested to hear the range report and what kind of accuracy you can get out of it.

Will you be using a can?

View attachment 7271605
If you're looking for a barrel that can handle lots of heat but is also very well balanced, I think you will really like the CORE Series. The continuous taper design gets rid of steps in the barrel that hold heat at various rates when the barrel heats and cools off during use. Thin spots heat up and cool off more quickly, while heavier portions heat up more slowly but then retain heat longer... This can create consistency issues when using the rifle as barrel steel expands and becomes more flexible as it heats up. The CORE Series uniformly dissipates heat and remains very consistent during use (more like a typical bolt gun barrel). Material around the chamber absorbs heat and keeps the balance near the shooter for increased control, while the front remains balanced and fast, which increases handling. This is especially important for those who move with their rifles and use modern accessories that mount to the front end of a rifle (i.e. suppressors, lights, lasers, clip on night vision etc.). Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

-Michael Ross

....am I reading the website correctly, it's saying the weight of the 16" barrel is 4 LBS. ??

I have a Criterion 14.5" hybrid in 1/8 twist. It won't shoot heavy ammo for crap. I've tried IMI 77gr, PMC Sierra 77gr, Hornady BTHP 75gr, etc... and it shoots 2"-3.5" 5-shot groups at 100m.
However, it shoots PMC, PPU, Fed 55gr stuff about 1.5" at 100m, & Black Hills, MK318 62gr stuff under 1" at 100m.
I'm thinking it's the 1/8 twist in the shorter 14.5" barrel. What do you all think?

These are button rifled so the twist is usually slower than they are listed. With that short barrel and lower velocity I would guess your not able to stablize your bullet. Need to stick with 65gr and under.

These are button rifled so the twist is usually slower than they are listed. With that short barrel and lower velocity I would guess your not able to stablize your bullet. Need to stick with 65gr and under.
Not sure what that means. Because they are button rifled the twist is slower than listed?

Yes the button slips a bit and usually all button barrels are a tad slower than the twist on the button. The button will have had a 1-8 twist but the process of pushing it through the barrel usually makes it slower. Calling Frank Green of Bartlien to say how much slower but I think it is minor but "There".

Yes the button slips a bit and usually all button barrels are a tad slower than the twist on the button. The button will have had a 1-8 twist but the process of pushing it through the barrel usually makes it slower. Calling Frank Green of Bartlien to say how much slower but I think it is minor but "There".
Mileage may vary

Let me put it this way since I've know frank for years.. Frank, if I were to button or foge a barrel and stamp that twist on the back end, would my twist be faster or slower than the stamp I laid down. or would it be not uniform or gain/loss, as I stamped it. No doubt some might round up or down, but Frank knows a cut rifler is better situated to keep it on the up and up.

Thanks

I have a Criterion 14.5" hybrid in 1/8 twist. It won't shoot heavy ammo for crap. I've tried IMI 77gr, PMC Sierra 77gr, Hornady BTHP 75gr, etc... and it shoots 2"-3.5" 5-shot groups at 100m.
However, it shoots PMC, PPU, Fed 55gr stuff about 1.5" at 100m, & Black Hills, MK318 62gr stuff under 1" at 100m.
I'm thinking it's the 1/8 twist in the shorter 14.5" barrel. What do you all think?
I doubt it. I have a 12.5 1/8 twist that does just fine with 77 SMKs, 75 HPBTs, and 70gr TSXs.

ETA: I don't have a Criterion 12.5". Mine is a BRT, but just stating that a shorter 1/8 twist barrel can still perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: loveha