• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cross-Fit

RayDog

Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2001
Fort Collins, CO
I just wanted to say that I've been doing cross-fit with my girlfriend for about 3 months now. If you are looking for a way to get fit and can dedicate 3 hours a week I would tell you to look at cross-fit. I've been paid to be in shape and race mountain bikes and these workouts are pretty dam brutal sometimes. The thing about them though is that it's always different and somehow they keep it kinda fun while kicking your ass. I've done a lot of things out there when I was racing pro. I wish I would've found this and started it a long time ago. I'm 155lbs and pretty fit. The cross-fit workouts are getting me stronger pretty quickly. If you have a cross-fit gym near you go check it out and watch a workout. The conditioning workouts at the end are pretty sick. I'm very happy I finally made it into the cross-fit gym and very pleased with the results for me and my girlfriend so far. Last night my girlfriend was able to do her first real pushups instead of those girlie ones.
The head instructor was there and saw her doing real pushups and gave her one of the Cross-fit Athlete t-shirts for the accomplishment. All I can say is it's a gym like no other gym, check it out for yourselves. You'll be glad you did.

Re: Cross-Fit

I joined a cross-fit gym a couple of months ago and have loved the results. The workouts are always interesting, ass kicking, and intense. The way it is set up there is always a heathy level of competition that helps everyone improve, and having a set task every time you come in makes it a lot easier to stay motivated. The results were amazing for my wife. When she did her first non assisted pull up everyone cheered for her. Now she can knock them out like a pro.

What does a membership run at a crosfit gym. We have one here in town but you have to go in for an "intro" before they talk about pricing.

yep good stuff. Been doing it for a year now, 3 t o4 times a week.
Very explosive. Love it.

About 150 a month.I pay 250 a month for me and the chick to go as much as we want. Right now 3 days a week is enough since I ride my mountain bike every day. Once it gets colder and there is snow on the ground making the trails harder to ride I'll go 4 days a week

Oh yeah the intro will show you how much you need to be in there. Go check it out

150 a month! Are you freakin serious? I just lost five pounds laughing my ass off at somebody that would pay 150 a month to go to a gym.

Seriously what does $150 a month include?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">150 a month! Are you freakin serious? I just lost five pounds laughing my ass off at somebody that would pay 150 a month to go to a gym.

Seriously what does $150 a month include? </div></div>

I don't know the answer, but I do know that CF involves many power and olympic lifts, that if done incorrectly can cause major injury. Ask me how I know. Most CF programs involve a fair amount of training and instruction in the various lifts, so there is a lot of coaching involved. I'd guess that's part of the cost. That said, it does seem pretty steep.

BTW, CF rocks!

Cost/benefit analysis time? OK, since most Crossfit boxes (quirky Crossfit lingo for the gym) are in rented space, the fees go to pay rent and utilities and trainers, as well as the purchase of equipment. Equipment usually includes several basic 45 pound olympic bars, weight plates of varying weights, and enough of each to allow 5 or more athlete customers to work out at the same time. Also necessary are pull-up bars, preferably at least one set of rings, a GHD chair or two, climbing rope, jump ropes, and depending on climate, HVAC. The better the amenities, the higher the price.

The gym I attend is in a warehouse/storage space that is about 1500 square feet. We have no heat or air conditioning, but we do have electricity and running water. The owner and his significant other are certified trainers and we have two other certified trainers that are part-time. Work outs start at 6 am and run until after 7 pm, 5 days a week. Saturdays are "bonus" work outs that are for members to bring potential victims/new members. For all that, I pay $100 per month for me and my daughter (who is on a break while adjusting to Seventh grade). If my wife and son ever decide to bite the bullet and start coming, the upgrade to a family membership is $45 for a $145 total. Should I decide I don't need a gym every day of the month, individual work-outs are $15 apiece.

So, at $15 per workout (and I usually do 4 per week, and most weeks 5), I would be paying between $240 and $300 a month without the monthly rate option. Up to $3600 per year possibly. If I decided to "build" my own home gym, I would have to purchase all the equipment and install some items, incurring some initial costs and possibly shipping/delivery and labor. Regardless, I would have a fairly hefty initial cash outlay to get my home box set up and outfitted..., all without benefit of a trained and certified trainer to make sure I am not doing something that will hurt me.

So my $100 per month buys me: someone else's initial capitalization, someone else's space that I do not have to clean, someone else's expertise and time spent becoming a certified trainer and someone else's name on a lease.

I just have to show up and occasionally write a check. it's worth it.

DMann,

Your breakdown is good. I could stomach paying $100 for two people. I've heard good things about crossfit and that seems like a decent price. But, there is no way I would be paying 250 a month for a gym. 250 a month would have to involve my old drill instructor standing over my bed screamig at me to get my ass in the sand and push.

I guess it all depends on the market. In Jackson, MS, $100/month is about average. Other places will differ due to the price of rental square footage.

Like Einstein said, everything's relative.

Here is my box: http://crossfitdixie.com/

Its $100 a month but I pay the LE/Military price of $80.

Some may think the price is be high but you really cant beat the one on one instruction. I have been working out for the past 15 years or so, I have been in law enforcement for 10 years and on SWAT for 6. Up until I started CrossFit I felt like my days on SWAT were numbered. The PT just kept getting harder each year and I thought one of these years I would have to step down and turn my gear in. At about 6 months into Crossfit I recorded the best PT scores I have had since the academy. I shaved almost three minutes of my mile and a half run and the only running I have been doing is 400 meters in some of our WOD's.
CrossFit is not for everyone and some think we are crazy, but I don't see myself ever going back to just lifting and running.

http://www.atomiccrossfit.com/

I average 3-4 times a week, and love/hate every minute of it. I'm 6'3" and roll about 245, and I pay about $120/month for an unlimited membership. While a bit more expensive than a Globo-gym, it's most definitely more intense, more involved, and much more fun.

Haven't actually tried CF, but have a good friend that has been encouraging me for several months to join, problem is I travel too much. If you want to see a version of these workouts that doesn't use weights and limits need for running outside, etc - check out beachbody insanity - it is a lot tougher than you'd expect from a DVD and I've been very happy with the results

I don't know about you but my fitness is worth 150 a month to me.
If you wee to put in 3 hours a week you would see massive gains. I was a pro athlete for a long time in a sport that's all about suffering. These classes kick your ass getting you strong while you do it. The fact that I only have to spend one hour in the gym verse at least two to get as quality a workout in a foo foo gym saves me 3 hours a week That's time I spend on my mountain bike. The fact that the program is laid out for you is also nice. There are usually 3-5 people in one of my classes with at least one instructor there but 2 most of the time watching us. No cheating half squats, or shitty knee's to elbows, or jacked up burpees. The fact that there are others there doing the same workout and getting times just like you helps push you. Everyones name and time and weight go on the board every day. My friend Cody goes at 6AM. I go at 630 PM I see his times and weights on the board so we can still compete.
Cross fit is not for everyone. You better be serious about working out. Unless you do it it's hard to explain how good it is.

Yes, the rowers. We only have one at our gym right now so we end up subbing runs. Hard to beat for full body cardio - ditto for the Versa Climber.

Did this one in 9:10 this morning: http://www.mscrossfit.com/

Push presses slowed me down - I have old shoulder injury issues.

This morning's WOD was:

5 Rounds for time:

21 Double-unders

14 KB Swings (53)(35)

7 Push-Press (135)(95)

Time:
13:00 (RX)

Damn good jpipes. I haven't mastered double unders yet. When I get one, I am so surprised, I have to stop and celebrate. Trying to break through that plateau though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn good jpipes. I haven't mastered double unders yet. When I get one, I am so surprised, I have to stop and celebrate. Trying to break through that plateau though. </div></div>

I've been doing crossfit since the beginning of the year and I'm in the best overall shape in my life. I had a hard time with the double unders also. I tried the single-double ratio like on the video and I wasn't getting anywhere. All of a sudden I decided to do double unders tight from the start and it was that easy. I've done as many as 50 double unders in a row. My coworker had the same problem and finally listened to me and picked it up right away. So just do double unders right from the start.

It took me over a year to get consecutive double-unders. Once I started focusing on them after every WOD (3on 1off) they came real fast. Now I do 100x for time at the end of every WOD that hasn't left me completely wasted.

Did Blake today. We stay a few days behind so we can pick and choose a bit.

"Blake"

Four rounds for time of:
100 foot Walking lunge with 45lb plate held overhead
30 Box jump, 24 inch box
20 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball
10 Handstand push-ups

I'm old and I did wall ball shots yesterday, so I did the lunges with a 25# plate. WB's with a 12# ball.

My traps and shoulders are so sore I'm not sure I can tip up a beer tonight. Ugh.

First day back after a two week hiatus for family stuff and hunting, and it was brutal. We actually did a SealFit workout:

50 deadlift (115)(95)
400m run
50 power cleans (115)(95)
400m run
50 front squats (115)(95)
400m run

I scaled to 40 reps and 95lbs, and am damn glad that I did. Two weeks off and I felt terrible. My poor, poor legs...

San bag get-ups make you work muscles that weren't there prior. I hate them.

For comparison the crossfit gym I go to charges $80 per month. Cheaper than most but the hours are kinda strange.

I used to work out at the original Crossfit gym when Coach Glassman was still in California. Coach Glassman used a form of Crossfit and the Zone diet in a study with members of my department to study the effectiveness of both.

I look at costs of Crossfit compared to a personal trainer. If you hired a personal trainer i doubt a decent one can be had for 15 bucks a session or 100-150 bucks a month as many workouts as you want. Sure your doing group workouts, but Im am more motivated in a group setting then individually.

CrossFit trainer here, also getting into precision shooting
grin.gif

I've got all sorts of answers and thoughts to this thread, but I figure I'll just start with a hello, and IMO, the kind of functional training that CrossFit gives will DIRECTLY transfer to the kind of fitness you will need with precision shooting. I'm assuming you are traversing land, water, rocks, and other obstacles, instead of just going to the local range.

Saw something mentioned about Boxjumps, yes they are a bitch, but if you had to jump onto a rock from a foot away, they come in pretty handy. Accuracy my friend
wink.gif
isn't just for rifles!

TANK: Do you know Bboy? Used to work under Glassman @ santa cruz. I've trained for him here in Virginia Beach for awhile.

$14.99 a month at my gym and we have heat/AC. We also have personal trainers and machines. The cost for that membership is fucking rediculous!!!

I have a membership to a box gym ($45.00) and to Crossfit ($35.00, 3x week). The biggest differences I see at the two gyms are that people love to look at themselves in the mirrors at the big gym. They don’t care about form only if they look good and its more weight than the next guy.

What I like about CrossFit is that they correct you if you’re doing something wrong or if something is too heavy they say get a lighter weight. What I hate about it is that I get my a** kicked daily by these hot females.

We have alot of Agents and Officers that are hard core into CF as well as we do alot of the WOD's with the recruits.

For any of you hard core CFers we have made a a crossfit book that has all the main workouts in it and has plenty of space for you to put your WOD's in and to keep track of your worki out sessions.

http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Cross_Training_Book_p/crosstraining.htm

NOMAD, thats an awesome book! might have to pick one up...

Crossfit is amazing...It took me a long time to justify the cost...yeah it can be stiff, but it is WELL worth it if you take full advantage of it. Im addicted, and have been for quite awhile. I am now slowly building up my own equipment stash...(bumper plates arent cheap!!!) So I can eventually do it out of my garage.

I am starting on Tuesday, to get into better shape for the July 24-hour match. My team-mate has already started. I will report on it as I go...

fwiw and imo crossfit is for getting into good cardio shape, not for strength, I think a combination would be pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw and imo crossfit is for getting into good cardio shape, not for strength, I think a combination would be pretty good. </div></div>Ok. But Cross Fit is anaerobic, right? So it should do both.

anaerobic lasts for a very short time, ie without oxygen, just commented because I am annoyed about crossfit being pushed as a strength builder, if you watch any of the crossfit national comps that were on tv nobody was strong, pretty and lean but not strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anaerobic lasts for a very short time, ie without oxygen, just commented because I am annoyed about crossfit being pushed as a strength builder, if you watch any of the crossfit national comps that were on tv nobody was strong, pretty and lean but not strong. </div></div>

There are plenty of CrossFit boxes that focus on Strength. Each box is different. It all depends on what you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anaerobic lasts for a very short time, ie without oxygen, just commented because I am annoyed about crossfit being pushed as a strength builder, if you watch any of the crossfit national comps that were on tv nobody was strong, pretty and lean but not strong. </div></div>
I disagree, the majority of the athletes looked very strong. I think strength is a relative term and maybe it is apples and oranges but a crossfit athlete will have a strong whole body and thus being able to do more work. The more you can do for longer is strength in my view. Being able to deadlift 600 lbs once is one thing but being able do 25 power cleans with 225 is mork work and takes more strength in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anaerobic lasts for a very short time, ie without oxygen,...</div></div>Anaerobic exercise has aerobic benefits; but aerobic exercise does not necessarily build muscle strength. That's why Cross Fit helps people reduce their run lap times without running.

That I agree with Graham, and doing 600 once compare to 25 of 225 is night and day, I rarely did reps except on a speed day and it was for a single set at the end of a workout, just focusing on strength I could bench 225 for 30 reps after my speed bench and I wasn't anything special. Also if you train just for the 25 reps at that weight , when weight is added that person will fail quickly seen it alot but if you actually have strength that person will make it much farther. Fred Hatfield wrote about a study in his book, to test his heartrate compared to a marathon runner's. They both went up stairs to compare, then added a 100 lb vest. At that point fred's heartrate went up slightly while the runners nearly exploded. Don't get me wrong here, any activity is better than none and alot of people have alot of different wants, just explaining what is really strength and what is just cardio. If you have 2 people that both can do 225x25, the one that maxes at 300 will eventually lose to the guy who maxes at 500.

I see what you mean. I think the heart rate example is on point because, if you look at an event like Zak's the 24-hour match, you are carrying a heavy pack and at Sniper Country (probably) making short bursts up steep terrain. So you are always taking your heart rate from a steady mid-level to max, then back down to low when you stop to get a grid and shoot an azimuth. Like in climbing: strength to weight, and maintaining one's core strength over distance, is most likely the key.

CF will make you more fit than you are. I like it cause I just show up at the gym and do the WODs. NOthing to think about just go and suffer. It helps my strength and power at a higher level than it would be on my own. When I have time to workout on my own it means getting on my mountain bike. I love long punishing climbs that lead to sick single track downhills. It's great for my cardio but doesn't do much for upper body and core strength. I feel CF helps keep me a better rounded athlete.
Something simple like box jumps and sandbag getups are awesome. For those of you starting to think about coming to some the matches Zak, Cody and I will be running through CD CF isn't a bad idea.
I think the competition biathlon we are working on is going to be awesome. Can you say physical penalty for a miss. You are going to have to be a very good shooter and be fit to place in this one.

in your comparison, J. Myers, about 600 v 25x225, the intensity of the effort is directly proportional to the length of the lever being moved, where in particular the moment arm is located, AND the rate at which the movement is taking place. Try 600#'s with a rep speed of 1' positive, a controlled 5" turnaround at the top, assuming e.g., it's a bench press, followed by a 1' negative; compare that w/ 25x225 at 1" positive/1" negative. Remember: the weight is not the resistance!!

So long as one can stay injury free, CF appears to be a very useful protocol. For those of you who have question's about CF's injury producing capability, just go to the cross fit website and then to the forums and then to the injury sub forum.

It is indeed true that exercise done at anaerobic intensity levels does indeed have aerobic transfer; aerobic activity, however, does not. Tabata et al have demonstrated that quite clearly.

Last: Ken Cooper is full of shit
laugh.gif

Well Ive been doing crossfit for 5 months, So far Ive lost 25lbs, gained a lot of strength, and improved my Cardio.
I only shoot Highpower or Mid Range Prone and in relation to shooting, what I have noticed. My offhand has improved since I find it easier to get my natural point of aim and hold it since I dont have to deal with mucular fatigue. My sitting, Especially cmp matches where we still have to stand before firing has improved as I can breath easier.

Also I dont "fuzz out" the sight picture at the 600 any more due to lack of oxygen.

Yes crossfitt will improve you ability to shoot well.

I looked into it, and the risk of injury is too high for me. I'll stick with my gym routine 5 days a week and save the money. I don't need a class or instructor as motivation.

Well I do agree anything is better than nothing, didn't mean to jack the thread or anything, look forward to your physical improvement and any updates or discussion.