• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Curious about ya'lls scope mounting experiences

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I recently had a scope issue. Not a big deal, shit happens and even Ferrari's break down. When the manufacturer received back they pointed out to me that when zeroed to my rife the reticle windage was 8MOA off from the optical center of the scope. I got the impression that this was being pointed out to me because it was considered to be a bit more than acceptable/average and that I should take a look at my setup.

I pulled the base off and checked that it didn't need to be bedded. I checked and made sure that the rings were seated fully onto the base. I ensured everything was properly torqued down to spec and that nothing changed during the tightening process. I mounted the scope again this evening and boresighted it and it appears to still be off by 6-10MOA (looking through the bore with the naked eye).

Just curious if this is something folks pay attention to? I never really did before and kinda figured that this was why they made turrets so they could be reset to zero.

Anyone got an opinion or experience on the matter? For the record the rifle/scope combo was shooting like a dream before the scope issue so I'm not really all that worked up over it. Just curious more than anything...

Re: Curious about ya'lls scope mountingexperiences

It would not concern me in the least.
There could easily be that much variation in a factory receiver alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would not concern me in the least.
There could easily be that much variation in a factory receiver alone. </div></div>

+1

Well shit.

Now what am I gonna worry about????

Thanks Raf, I kinda thought that might be the consensus.
wink.gif

boy, only 8MOA? Guess you got lucky on the rings, base, receiver combination being straight
wink.gif

If you want to get rings that will center your scope, the US Optics' are top notch, and respond well to a light coat of minimal thread locker(Not red, only the lightweight stuff, or even a touch of paint). The adjustability is solid, and makes for pretty easy zeroing. You do of course know how to mechanically zero your scope with rotational adjusting on the base ring

Zeroed it back in today and it's still 8MOA off, still driving tacks though...

i don't even want to know how far off my savage is

Actually when I ran Salvages they were pretty good.

I never bothered checking until I got hold of an XOTIC. When I mounted it, my zero was 30+moa off mechanical center windage wise. I spun the scope in (that's when I learned how to do that) and the damned thing had 8ish moa of left available and 95ish right when optically centered. Needless to say that went back to SWFA, and Chris gave me full refund credit towards a different scope as it was towards the end of the brief market life of the XOTIC and no replacements were available.

I only sweat it if the scope's optical center is more than 10moa off its mechanical center. The receiver/base isn't too much of a concern unless its so far off it affects the erector travel...

You had it mounted wrong. If you had mounted the scope with the turrets on the left and top instead of top and right, you would have an uber-long-range scope with an additional 30MOA of "up".
laugh.gif

DAMN!! why didn't I think of that.
They were actually really nice scopes for the money (aside from the cited issue), I wish they had panned out.....

LOL

Doc had one that looked pretty good to me. It is too bad they didn't work out. I wonder if SWFA will ever go beyond the SS in the future?