• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 10/22 "mini A5" stock, pics

Re: Custom 10/22 "mini A5" stock, pics

Is the "stock duplication machine" an attempt at sarcasm or are you truly going to manufacture these?

I bet you'd sell quite a few just from this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the "stock duplication machine" an attempt at sarcasm or are you truly going to manufacture these?

I bet you'd sell quite a few just from this thread.</div></div>

The idea is to have this stock duplicated, this is the "master" stock, you may see this stock design available soon for the Ruger 10/22, maybe other actions as well.

Kirk R

Alright, most likely the last pics to post before the stock is complete. You can see in the pic, I have made a deaper opening in the thumb relief area of the pistol grip, as well as beveled the bottom of the area behind the butthook, and a few other small adjustments. Here are a few pics.....

gun002-1.jpg

gun004.jpg

gun003.jpg

yeah i was totally serious about the stock duplicator. i dont know if the op is willing to do it, i was just putting that out there. but using a laminate with that design would make a very nice stock that quite a few people would buy id guess.

nice looking end product KRock.

I'm making one for my 10/22, don't think it will turn out as good as yours.

krock,
Your stock looks fantastic. I want to try this on my Savage.
How much Duraglass did it take? Would the 1 quart can be enough?

Thanks, Bill

lookin awesome!! now all you need is a nice camo pattern and you will be the envy at the range!
smile.gif
By the way, any updates on possible getting one of these and how much?

Got a chance to get behind the stock today and get some trigger time with it. One thing I noticed was the improvement in accuracy over the Hogue stock, mainly due to free floating the barrel and the improved comfort of the stock. It definitely felt short. It will have an adjustable spacer system an a buttpad added, which will fix that.

gun019.jpg

gun017.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you polish that receiver on the 22? </div></div>

I did but not sure if I like it, it is getting a matte black Duracoat in a few weeks along with the stainless portions of the barrel.

Kirk

Wow, that looks really nice. Is it white though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that looks really nice. Is it white though? </div></div>

Thats primer you see in most of the photos, it gets a black fiberglass gel coat and then its ready for paint.

Kirk R

you should add some flush cups and a bipod stud. i reallllllllly want one of these that is amazing work

Great work brotha. If you decide to market these, let me know and I'll do what I can to rep the product for you.

I see a B&C Light Tactical designed stock for my 10/22 in the near future.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Got a chance to get behind the stock today and get some trigger time with it. One thing I noticed was the improvement in accuracy over the Hogue stock, mainly due to free floating the barrel and the improved comfort of the stock.</div></div>

Great work on a nice stock!

Is that a factory Ruger 10/22 or aftermarket receiver? I'm curious why you free-floated the barrel because I thought one was supposed to bed the barrel and float the aluminum receiver on a 10/22 build (to prevent the aluminum receiver from warping from the weight of the barrel hanging free)?
Or did you incorporate a pressure pad under the barrel?

The barrel channel is opened up to free-float the barrel. I am working on a full length pillar for the take down screw, it will be epoxied into the stock and make full contact to the receiver. The factory "pillar" is primarily a washer and does not make contact with the receiver, allowing the wood and action screw to flex.

I am playing with a barrel tunning screw in the forend under the barrel, which should improve accuracy as well as support the barrel.

Kirk R

So what will the mass-produced versions be made of?
laugh.gif

I hope you were really serious about putting this under the stock duplicator, this would be competition for the B&C and Boyd stocks. Awesome work!

Wow. That is the best looking 10-22 stock I have ever seen. Good luck with your endeavor. I hope I see these available for purchase soon.

Here is the latest update on the stock. I have been field testing the stock for 4 weeks putting it thru the paces. I had one issue with the design of the origional stock, which is the poorly designed factory take down screw and how it fixed the action in the stock. As many know, with the design there is no conact from the factory "pillar" and the receiver, it is more of a washer for the take down screw.

Sollution; I designed a full length brass pillar that will make full contact with the receiver. The short factory pillar is pressed out, and the full length pillar is epoxied in its place, and should enhance the accuracy of the rifle.

NOTE: full length pillar can be installed in a factory 10/22 stock with minimal tools.

full length pillars on the right, factory short washer on left
gun023.jpg

here you can see the location where the receiver contacts the stock, the full length pillar will fill this channel and contact the receiver
gun024.jpg

So, how much for a few of those pillars? Nice work all around.

Looks great!

Do you know where I can find directions on working with fillers?

Just wondering how the filler is applied, adhered to the wood, and if you had to build up the layers to get the final shape, or if it is like play dough that you can mold. Please excuse my ignorance...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great!

Do you know where I can find directions on working with fillers?

Just wondering how the filler is applied, adhered to the wood, and if you had to build up the layers to get the final shape, or if it is like play dough that you can mold. Please excuse my ignorance... </div></div>

Well, I like to use Duraglass for areas that need to be built up considerably, like the area around the pistol grip and butt area. The hand guard area can be built up using Bondo, although I like to use a product called Rage Gold, which is a high quality auto body filler and much easier to work with.

There are a few keys to getting good results with the fillers. (1) Stock prep; remove all oils and stains, I use 60 grit sand paper to rough up the finish and get down to bare wood
(2) Use wooden dowels to give the filler a bonding point. (3) after applying the filler, you will allow it to cure just to the point you can leave a imprint in the filler with your fingernail, at this point you will use a bodywork "cheese grater" to remove excess filler and get your basic shape. This will reduce the sanding process considerably. You will be applying multiple layers of filler, so don't worry about getting there in one pass.

Hope that helps, I will continue to post pics and progress. I am currently working on a A3 style stock, as well as a A4 style stock for the 10/22

Kirk R

Where did you get those pillars from (or did you make them)? If you made them, what did you use\how did you do it?

Thanks!